Sunday 29 May 2011

IIDD, May 28th

Hello Castefiore and Michelin Man!

Sorry that I've not responded sooner but seems life has been more hectic than usual, of late. With respect to your visit, we literally won't be in town from the 8th-10th of July. Friends Nancy and David, from Berkeley, will be visiting, (arriving on 6th, flying to Bellingham), and along with Flamin' and Sarge, we are going to eat and drink our way through The Naramata and environs! Once back, we are taking them to Squamish for a day and night, to visit with close friends, Ruth/Rick, and then they are off to Parksville to visit with Lurchesca and Grogg, until Thursday, I believe. Cora Lee volunteers at WISH either Tuesday or Wednesday evening, that week, (final schedule not yet posted this early), and we have a dinner, together with D/N, with other mutual friends on Thursday evening. Folk Fest that weekend for all of us but I gather you will be gone by then. Not sure about all your medical/dental appointments but give us a shout, (604-734-9200), or leave a message, (email or voice), and we can see about meeting during day, or even some evening, depending on everyone's schedule.

As I mentioned at the outset, has been a very, very busy time on the social and cycling fronts. Had a more than a full day before Dram Come True, evening of Friday The 13th!. Set off, from The Island Inn at 7:30am to rendezvous with Ray at his place, (23rd near Arbutus), and then met Peter at Cypress and Marine to cycle out to Steveston. We returned via #6 Road, Cambie Sky Train Bridge and Heather. Lads went their separate ways around 33rd and McKenzie and I headed out to UBC. By the time I was on Marine Drive I was ready to call it quits as I felt like I was struggling all the while, head wind not helping matters much either. However, I cajoled myself into grinding up 16th to Blanca and then back down to Marine. By the time I was at the Spanish Banks Hill I had 72K on the odometer so I knew I had a probable 85K by time I was home. Breeze at my back, sun shining, I somehow caught a second wind and by dipsy-doodling around Kits Point I upped count to 88K and then it was 91K as I sailed past Harbour Terrace and I was away to Science World and then Cambie Bridge where I turned around and made for home. Not pedaling very quickly around Seawall, (or UBC for that matter!), more taking in the sights and other biker/pedestrian traffic than speeding along but felt quite comfortable so was pleased with 101K total. Quite a marked difference from Thursday, day before, when I was pelted with hail!

Back home I had a large glass of water and then went about getting place ready for pre-Dram session we were hosting at 5:00pm. Cora Lee had prepared a plethora of dishes, (chicken wings, meatballs, mozzarella/tomatoe skewers), so I acted as scullion and did the dishes that dishwasher was too full to accept. Taking a break to do some of my shoulder exercises and then check my email on desk-top in our bedroom, I heard a voice behind me. It was Andre McKenzie, friend we had stayed with, for a week, in Chabeuil, small village about an hour south of Lyon, last September. His girlfriend, Rosemary Thorne, has a beautiful place there, huge swimming pool, etc. At any rate, Andre has suffered from an irregular heart beat for sometime now and ended up in hospital, in Valence, largest town closest to their village, for a few days, this past March. Once released, he flew back to Vancouver, his home, and underwent some relatively minor heart surgery, (not a bypass or anything of that magnitude), a few weeks before Easter. Rosemary arrived, (from England where she has a flat near Marble Arch in London), around that time and they both popped by a few days before Easter weekend. At that time Andre's condition had improved but he was still being monitored and his medication being calibrated.

Had not seen him since then so was pleased he had dropped in. Rosemary is back in France. Although retired, she sits on a number of boards and makes a regular business trips to various cities in Europe. Unfortunately, Andre is still moving pretty slowly as although his heartbeat has been somewhat regulated, it keeps bouncing around with one medication doing something, another pill doing the opposite. Very frustrating, as you can imagine! We chatted and caught up and before he left I invited him to come by later for the pre-Dram session. [He never returned as i suppose he was simply too tired. He told us that he had parked at Granville Island before he popped by and had had to stop twice to rest, en route!]

By this time is was close to 3:00pm and with guests coming near 5:00pm, I still had plenty to do, what with vacuuming and more kitchen clean-up as Cora Lee kept churning out more dirty dishes, spatulas and bowls. By 4:45pm table was set, a couple of bottle of wine were open and I headed to have my shower. Most of guests, (ten in total but Dave, tenth, was last to arrive, about 6:30pm), were nibbling goodies on the patio, under our spiffy new red umbrella, (The envy of our neighbours, two floors above. Helena called down, a few days, while CL was doing some re-potting and asked where she had bought it, ($39.50 at Canadian Tire!), as she wanted to get one for their deck.), when I was bathed, changed and smelling so devilishly alluring with my Ralph Lauren scent! We had a grand time eating and drinking wine, enjoying being outside for the first time this year. although the wind was coolish, necessitating wraps, light jackets or sweaters, and sudden gusts would sometimes send napkins flying.

Around 7:00ish we repaired indoors and made plans to get to 3802 Angus Drive. Prince Valiant, Flamin's/Sarge's son drove Cora Lee and I, along with his parents, while rest piled into two cabs, arriving at venue just before 7:30pm. Wonderful evening, bag piper piping at entrance. House itself is a gorgeous mansion, very tastefully renovated, modernized. Five separate tasting islands set up throughout main floor and one simply makes a loop going from one table to next, sampling malts available. In total there were sixteen malts, a bourbon, (Think you'd like the Bulleit, available at Edgemont in North Van. May have to take a knapsack on one of our rides to Seymour and stop there on way back), and a vodka, (Xfour Handcrafted, BC's first corn and rye based, rather tasty although I know very little about vodka, in general), as well as three other malts, two from Australia, both Tasmanian, and one from India. I actually have a small bottle of Sullivan's Cove which friends from Adelaide brought a number of years ago, knowing I enjoyed my Scotch whiskey! I didn't particularly care for the Ozzie malts so will have to re taste one I have and see how it compares to these later expressions. However, found the Amrut Fusion to be rather palatable. Was glad I tried it as I didn't last year.

I focused on those malts I had not had before or else had not tried for sometime, only trying some of the one's I knew/possess after I'd sampled the others. While I quite enjoyed a number of the rarer malts, (Caol Ila 29 year old, in particular, even though I feel that 18 years is the upper limit in terms of taste, for me. After that, malt is simply too, too smooth and I like a certain "roughness" in my tipple!), and the cask strengths, (Bruichladdich, (Port Charlotte), PC7, 61%, aged in a combination of sherry and bourbon oak, (I liked it so much, (I have a bottle of the PC6), that I bid and happily, "won", ($150, perhaps worth $135 here but for a good cause), a bottle in Silent Auction), was mildly disappointed/annoyed by the presence of three or so malts that I feel are pure commercial products, "manufactured", in a sense to appeal to a particular market nice, far more blatantly, crassly than most other distilleries. The individual re-bottling companies set up to "produce" Finlaggan, Ileach, Smokehead, for example, purchase production from whichever of the Islay distilleries offers the best deal at the time of the purchase. Almost like listening to The Spice Girls!

Nevertheless, a wonderful time was had by all. Bumped into old friends and past neighbours, met new folks and just generally had fun tasting, nibbling sushi and chocolate dipped strawberries as we looped the tasting circuit. Tables close at 9:15pm and auction closes at 9:30pm. By time I paid for my successful bid and visited with original group before saying goodnight, all the while sipping on a glass of wine to bring the evening to a finish, it was just after 10:00pm and we hailed a cab, with Flamin'/Sarge and returned to Harbour Terrace. Bade goodnight to them once back as everyone was ready for bed. Can't remember brushing my teeth but know that I did as I found my electric toothbrush out of its stand this morning!

Next evening, Saturday, Flamin' and Sarge had invited us for a wonderful lamb dinner, (Prince Valiant, Nicolina and Marvin, Nicole's boyfriend, were at table as well and we had, among other topics, a heated discussion about "adult" children still at home!), before taking us to the Stanley to see Hairspray, their present to us on the occasion of our 35th. When we arrived, by cab, we discovered the performance had been cancelled as result of the male lead having suffered a mild stroke earlier in week. Cora Lee had read about this in paper but article mentioned that the stand-in would allow musical to continue. Apparently, replacement was not ready. Seems role is pretty demanding and we suppose individual didn't have enough time to learn part to degree necessary. Only took a minute or so to understand what was happening so we actually piled back into same cab, (I asked him to wait as soon as I overheard, from a number of the people employed by theatre, out on the sidewalk in front of the box office, there to deal with ticket holders), and made our way home again. Poor Sarge had walked, (not enough room for all of us in one cab), and he arrived just after we left, lost to us in the scrum on the other side of the box office. It was really pouring by then but fortunately he had an umbrella!

Back at Harbour Terrace the cabbie pulled in under slight overhang to entrance to garage and as we were paying fare, (He only charged us $5 for trip back. First ride was $7 something and Cora Lee had given him $10), car behind honked to hurry up. We scrambled out, muttering that it was probably somebody in building who was grumpy at us for all the noisy parties we host. When cab pulled away and gate opened we discovered it was Joanne Trueman who lives on 4th floor. I had met her in hallway, a number of years ago, and each subsequent time we bumped into one another I had invited her for a drink, if we were having a gathering, at the time. She had never turned up so when I recognized her after she rolled her window down, I invited her to come for a drink, once again. Found out that she had gotten to know Flamin' not that long ago so it wasn't but a few minutes before she was knocking on our door, supposing that I must not be a freak if I knew Michele. Little did she know! Anyway, Sarge came upstairs after he dried himself off and we had a couple of bottles of wine and got to know Joanne. She is keen to be part of the Block Party we are planning on July 1st, Canada Day. Lovely end to a lovely evening in spite of cancelled show.

This past Tuesday morning Raymundo, Whirlygig and I circumnavigated Stanley Park. After lads went back home, MacDonald/Point Grey, I made my way out to UBC and along Marine to Crown and then spent about an hour criss-crossing the Musqueam Reserve as well as the streets south of Marine around Dunbar. Had not really explored that area, although have done much the same for Southlands, and it was most enjoyable, seeing the wide variety of dwellings and the state of repair/disrepair. At the end of one of the cul-de-sacs even came across a number of large, flat-bottomed aluminum fishing craft, on boat trailers, one with a number of large plastic tubs filled to overflowing with what looked like huge rock cod, still gasping! Major construction project underway, not far from this street, a new community centre, very attractive from what one can see of the steel superstructure, roof, etc. 51K to Marine/Crown and then 17K in and around Musqueam so was able to be close to 70K by time I reached lights at entrance to Research Precinct. Road to Wesbrook Village has been very recently and very nicely paved, so I took a spin through there before doing 16th/Blanca Loop and I was laughing with 89K on clock as I sailed down Foreshore Hill, wind finally at my back not howling in my face! With 102K under my belt by the time I returned to Harbour Terrace I was quite pleased and would like to thank my team mates, caustic comments and jibes, about my spiffy new cycling shorts, (35th wedding anniversary present from CL), aside, for the more than helpful, gentle warm-up ride!!!

Did but a paltry 51K Wednesday afternoon, running errands and such, mainly to stretch my legs. Needed to buy 100 kilos of bananas at Young Brothers on Broadway. Had the start of a nasty cramp when I was doing my stretches/crunches on floor after 102K ride. Fortunately, The Arch Matriarch of The Sisterhood took pity on me and pushed my right leg back until the contraction eased enough for me to remove the stopper from the Bruichladdich PC7 which I had placed between my teeth to keep myself from biting off my tongue. Another stop was to be at a medical supply store to purchase some IV drip tubing so that I can hook myself up once home after have taken off the malt filled camel pack!!! Plenty of liquids says the current research, I believe!

That night Cora Lee and I attended a concert, Michael Kaeshammer and Jill Barber, at the Vogue, downtown. I knew Jill's work more so than Michael's and really wanted to see her in a live performance. Vogue is a terrific venue, not so large that one needs a telescope to see the performers. In fact, quite intimate, just the size for me if I am going to enjoy such an event. Jill opened and she really is a remarkable chanteuse. Trust her career continues to develop as she certainly deserves attention. Her material evokes the torch songs and romantic ballads of the '40's and early '50's. Far, far more appealing to me than the work of today's current slate of stars, at least the ones I've heard, from time to time, more by accident than choice, I must admit. Most seem rather harsh and un-melodic to my ear and I simply can't be bothered to listen to their whining laments! Her back-up band, (piano, violin/oboe or clarinet, I'm not sure, drums, guitar and double bass), were terrific, a pure delight and a perfect accompaniment to her singular voice, never overpowering it, simply supporting and emphasizing her extraordinary phrasing.

Knew very little about Michael Kaeshammer and would not have purchased tickets if he had been on bill alone. However, certainly more than glad that Jill's appearance drew us to concert as he is a truly exciting, amazing performer. First and foremost he is an unbelievable pianist. I don't think I've ever been so taken with the piano before. I gather he is steeped in the New Orleans jazz tradition/scene and his pyrotechnic playing confirms this heritage. His band were just as accomplished and riveting on their individual instruments, (trombone, saxophone, trumpet, bass guitar/double bass, and drums), as he was on piano/electric keyboard. Jill opened and after Michael's set they both returned to stage to do a duet: Moon River. He played and she crooned and it was a simply marvelous way to end the thrilling evening of live music and song. Keep forgetting how exciting it is to see and listen to artists such as these two. As Chloƫ said, when we returned, "you need to go out more often, Dad!"

This week has been full as well. Yesterday took the ill-fated Diesel/Barnacle Cruise to Steveston on the Inside Passage, the boat friend Branko has moored at the co-op marina just down the way from us. He purchased craft about six months ago and has been living on it ever since. Needed to have it taken to dry dock as it hasn't been out of water for over three years. At any rate, Whirlygig and I went along as crew. We took our bikes aboard as we planned to cycle home once boat had reached safe haven! Journey started out, inauspiciously, at 8:30am, as Ragin' had a fair it of difficulty manoeuvering The Inside Passage out of its berth in the marina, in spite of fact that there was more room than usual as a number of other neighbouring moorages were empty. With much bumping and grinding, the nervous skipper, (to give him his due, he hasn't had much opportunity to familiarize himself with how craft handles), made his way into False Creek and under Burrard Bridge and we were soon heading into English Bay, making for Point Grey.

Bit of excitement when it was discovered that engine was not responding when put to full throttle, rpms indicating this to be the case. Rob, Branko's oldest child and a licensed, heavy mechanic, was along, as well, and it was his opinion that prop and rudder were probably so barnacle encrusted, (Boat had not been out of water for three years for any maintenance and this trip, to Steveston and dry dock, was meant to address just such necessary, long overdue work.), that mechanism simply couldn't respond. In neutral, rpms reached expected levels, so we pressed on, delighting in sighting a bald eagle perched on the marker pylon off Point Grey. We used our binos to scan Wreck Beach but sadly, due to coolish, cloudy weather there were no well-endowed, nekid babes frolicking on the beach!

Even though Ragin' did well on the Power Boat Course he was obliged to take, he wasn't all that well prepared for his maiden voyage. Strangely, most surprisingly, he didn't even have a detailed enough chart to make navigation both safe and efficient. One would think that it would be rather easy to find the mouth of the South Arm of the Mighty Fraser but in fact, it isn't, You may well know this), more so when you've never been steaming these particular waters before. I knew how shallow it could be from mud flats one sees so regularly along Spanish Banks and exposed rocks along Seawall. Same pertains to much of shore further south of course. While his sonar depth finder always provided soundings, not having a detailed topographical map prevented us from charting the most efficient course, relevant to incoming tide and numerous breakwaters that protrude a fair way into Gulf. Consequently, we spent more time and fuel than necessary making forays towards shore and then back out to sea again as depth dropped from 12' to 5' to 4' in seconds. The Inside Passage draws 3' but one is obviously leery about getting anywhere near bottom.

At any rate, we finally cleared last breakwater, north side of mouth of South Arm, and found the dredged channel, 45' deep for much of the way. Huge seals adorned the tops of many of the exposed rocks along with a another large eagle. We made our way up river to dock at the Chevron fueling station and Branko filled both his tanks with diesel. $500 later, we set off towards the marina with the boat hoist. While Robert filled the tanks, I suggested Ragin' ask the attendant about the exact whereabouts of the marina in question but he dismissed my concern saying her knew where it was. Famous last words! All this in the context of steering a craft which behaves more like a small tanker than a light aluminum skiff. Took Branymir almost ten minutes to dock at fuel station and all he had to do was come alongside!

Nevertheless, he decided way to marina was on the other side of the channel which is divided from the mainland by a small island/breakwater. So we turned, labouriously, and made our way up stream to find an opening back into channel we had just vacated, only to discover after second foray, (on initial probe depth dropped off so quickly that we pulled back to rethink options and then decided to head back in, very, very slowly), that a log boom blocked the end of channel. Back down to entrance and then up where we should have been in the first instance, only to miss channel we needed to take to gain marina's dock. Branko finally called to ask for directions. So much for knowing where he was going!

More protracted and laborious toing and froing to enter right channel and we were there, only 20 minutes late. Not too, too bad but we could have been there almost an hour earlier. As it was, chap at marina wanted Ragin' to back in but our Captain Ahab wasn't up for the task, given space available. We simply moored head on and unloaded our bikes for a fast getaway! Another squash friend, Peter Cook, had cycled out and was waiting on dock when we pulled alongside. We chatted a bit and his observation, (he has owned boats in the past), was that there was at least a week's worth of scraping and painting. Ragin', of course, had said, at the start of this endeavour, that two or three days, at most, would be all that was needed! Even I knew that was unrealistic and I know nothing about the care and feeding of such expensive toys!

Whirlygig and I said our goodbyes and cycled off for home, via CSTB, Cambie and then Heather to Seawall. Think about 31K by time I was back at Harbour Terrace. I was mildly annoyed as had we docked sooner I would have been able to ride out to UBC in order to add another 20 or so. Cora Lee and I were off to a VIWF reception, (wonderful appetizers as it turned out, most congenial company, etc.), at 5:30pm at GI Hotel so I only had time for a quick shower and change before we had to leave. Still it was fun and quite enjoyable for the most part. If nothing else, bit of a warning for possible outings, aboard The Inside Passage, in the future!!!

I phoned Ragin' later that evening, (He will be living on boat in dry dock until work is completed. He may be there for a year!!!), and he told me he was feeling rather depressed. One of the chaps at marina recognized boat and said that previous owner had done little, if any, regular maintenance, preventative or otherwise! Furthermore, it is remarkable that we even made it as prop, shaft and rudder were so completely encrusted with barnacles that it is a miracle that they worked to the extent that they did! Who knows what else will turn up! Plan to pop by tomorrow when we ride out to UBC and then on to Steveston to see what progress has been made.

Aside from sailing the ocean blue, have been quite pleased with my rides this week. Yesterday, Ray and I rode around Stanley Park in the reasonably steady rain, leaving our place at 8:15am. Knowing forecast, I wore a heavier, quasi rain-proof jacket and it held me in very good stead, as things turned out. By 10:30am Ray was feeling a bit chilled so he opted for home once we had sailed by Granville Island. For my part, I was toasty so I headed out to UBC to tackle my regular 100K route. By time I had climbed Foreshore Hill, sun was peeping out from behind cloud cover and I was starting to dry out. When I reached Marine and Crown, I was feeling great, sun was beaming and even my gloves and runners were no longer sopping. Headed back with 52K on odometer and dipsy-doodled my way through Wesbrook Village, 16th/Imperial/Marine Drive Loop and back home for a grand total of 102K. As I mentioned, I was perfectly dry on return leg until I hit Point Grey Road and then heavens opened, rain came sluicing down and I was drenched, in no time, rivulets streaming through my helmet openings into my eyes and ears, my feet squeaking in my waterlogged sneakers and my water-repellant shorts completely beaded with drops. Fortunately, it wasn't overly chilly, (At one point I thought I felt and saw a bit hail but I think it was only the huge droplets exploding on the road surface like mini-bombs), so while wet, I wasn't really all that uncomfortable and only had about 6K to traverse to reach shelter.

This morning, Flamin' and Whirlygig and I joined Ray, Rod and Peter, at 8:00am, out to Steveston and back, for a mere 51K. Very, very enjoyable, chatting with everyone as we changed pairs en route. Weather was dry so very very pleasant. Once that part is taken care of, rest is gravy! Some errands to do and then to wine tasting at Village Wines, later this afternoon, where Nicolina, (Flamin's daughter), works, part-time. Maybe a quick trip to Legacy, wonderful new private liquor store in Olympic Village. Their selection of single malt is truly marvelous, not to mention wine.

Let us know more details about your daily schedule and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizio!

Pics: Route; Shortly after leaving marina; Nervous crew! Will we make it under Burrard Bridge? Seals on breakwater; Whirlygig watching diesel gauge; Captain Ahab; Peter Cook and Rob, Ragin's eldest son.

No comments:

Post a Comment