Friday 27 May 2011

IIDD, Saturday, May 14th

Hi Generalissimo!

Had a more than full day yesterday. Set off from The Island Inn at 7:30am to rendezvous with Ray at his place and then met Peter at Cypress and Marine to cycle out to Steveston. We returned via #6 Road, CSTB and Heather. Lads went their separate ways around 33rd and McKenzie and I headed out to UBC. By the time I was on Marine Drive I was ready to call it quits as I felt like I was struggling all the while, head wind not helping matters much either. However, I cajoled myself into grinding up 16th to Blanca and then back down to Marine. By the time I was at the Spanish Banks Hill I had 72K on the odometer so I knew I had a probable 85K by time I was home. Breeze at my back, sun shining, I somehow caught a second wind and by dipsy-doodling around Kits Point I upped count to 88K and then it was 91K as I sailed past Harbour Terrace and I was away to Science World and then Cambie Bridge where I turned around and made for home. Not pedaling very quickly around Seawall, (or UBC for that matter!), more taking in the sights and other biker/pedestrian traffic than speeding along but felt quite comfortable so was pleased with 101K total. Quite a marked difference from Thursday when I was pelted with hail!

Back home I had a large glass of water and then went about getting place ready for pre-Dram session we were hosting at 5:00pm. Cora Lee had prepared a plethora of dishes, (chicken wings, meatballs, mozzarella/tomatoe skewers), so I acted as scullion and did the dishes that dishwasher was too full to accept. Taking a break to do some of my shoulder exercises and then check my email on desk-top in our bedroom, I heard a voice behind me. It was Andre McKenzie, friend we had stayed with, for a week, in Chabeuil, small village about an hour south of Lyon, last September. His girlfriend, Rosemary Thorne, has a beautiful place there, huge swimming pool, etc. At any rate, Andre has suffered from an irregular heart beat for sometime now and ended up in hospital, in Valence, largest town closest to their village, for a few days, this past March. Once released, he flew back to Vancouver, his home, and underwent some relatively minor heart surgery, (not a bypass or anything of that magnitude), a few weeks before Easter. Rosemary arrived, (from England where she has a flat near Marble Arch in London), around that time and they both popped by a few days before Easter weekend. At that time Andre's condition had improved but he was still being monitored and his medication being calibrated.

Had not seen him since then so was pleased he had dropped in. Rosemary is back in France. Although retired, she sits on a number of boards and makes a regular business trips to various cities in Europe. Unfortunately, Andre is still moving pretty slowly as although his heartbeat has been somewhat regulated, it keeps bouncing around with one medication doing something, another pill doing the opposite. Very frustrating, as you can imagine! We chatted and caught up and before he left I invited him to come by later for the pre-Dram session.

By this time is was close to 3:00pm and with guests coming near 5:00pm, I still had plenty to do, what with vacuuming and more kitchen clean-up as Cora Lee kept churning out more dirty dishes, spatulas and bowls. By 4:45pm table was set, a couple of bottle of wine were open and I headed to have my shower. Most of guests, (ten in total but Dave, tenth, was last to arrive, about 6:30pm), were nibbling goodies on the patio, under our spiffy new red umbrella, (The envy of our neighbours, two floors above. Helena called down, a few days, while CL was doing some re-potting and asked where she had bought it, ($39.50 at Canadian Tire!), as she wanted to get one for their deck.), when I was bathed, changed and smelling so devilishly alluring with my Ralph Lauren scent! We had a grand time eating and drinking wine, enjoying being outside for the first time this year. although the wind was coolish, necessitating wraps, light jackets or sweaters, and sudden gusts would sometimes send napkins flying.

Around 7:00ish we repaired indoors and made plans to get to 3802 Angus Drive. Prince Valiant, Flamin's/Sarge's son drove Cora Lee and I, along with his parents, while rest piled into two cabs, arriving at venue just before 7:30pm. Wonderful evening, bag piper piping at entrance. House itself is a gorgeous mansion, very tastefully renovated, modernized. Five separate tasting islands set up throughout main floor and one simply makes a loop going from one table to next, sampling malts available. In total there were sixteen malts, a bourbon, (Think you'd like the Bulleit, available at Edgemont in North Van. May have to take a knapsack on one of our rides to Seymour and stop there on way back), and a vodka, (Xfour Handcrafted, BC's first corn and rye based, rather tasty although I know very little about vodka, in general), as well as three other malts, two from Australia, both Tasmanian, and one from India. I actually have a small bottle of Sullivan's Cove which friends from Adelaide brought a number of years ago, knowing I enjoyed my Scotch whiskey! I didn't particularly care for the Ozzie malts so will have to re taste one I have and see how it compares to these later expressions. However, found the Amrut Fusion to be rather palatable. Was glad I tried it as I didn't last year.

I focused on those malts I had not had before or else had not tried for sometime, only trying some of the one's I knew/possess after I'd sampled the others. While I quite enjoyed a number of the rarer malts, (Caol Ila 29 year old, in particular, even though I feel that 18 years is the upper limit in terms of taste, for me. After that, malt is simply too, too smooth and I like a certain "roughness" in my tipple!), and the cask strengths, (Bruichladdich, (Port Charlotte), PC7, 61%, aged in a combination of sherry and bourbon oak, (I liked it so much, (I have a bottle of  the PC6), that I bid and happily, "won", ($150, perhaps worth $135 here but for a good cause), a bottle in Silent Auction), was mildly disappointed/annoyed by the presence of three or so malts that I feel are pure commercial products, "manufactured", in a sense to appeal to a particular market nice, far more blatantly, crassly than most other distilleries. The individual re-bottling companies set up to "produce" Finlaggan, Ileach, Smokehead, for example, purchase production from whichever of the Islay distilleries offers the best deal at the time of the purchase. Almost like listening to The Spice Girls!

Nevertheless, a wonderful time was had by all. Bumped into old friends and past neighbours, met new folks and just generally had fun tasting, nibbling sushi and chocolate dipped strawberries as we looped the tasting circuit. Tables close at 9:15pm and auction closes at 9:30pm. By time I paid for my successful bid and visited with original group before saying goodnight, all the while sipping on a glass of wine to bring the evening to a finish, it was just after 10:00pm and we hailed a cab, with Flamin'/Sarge and returned to Harbour Terrace. Bade goodnight to them once back as everyone was ready for bed. Can't remember brushing my teeth but know that I did as I found my electric toothbrush out of its stand this morning!

Flamin' came upstairs at 8:00am to ask if I wanted to join them for a ride around Stanley park but I deferred, feeling that I should give my aging frame a bit of a break after yesterday's ride. I might run a few errands later this afternoon, by bike, if skies clear. Don't mind a bit of drizzle as I'm only going to Home Depot on Cambie and perhaps to visit a friend on Alma and 6th, if he is well enough for a visit. Long story. He is suffering from multiple myeloma, (cancer of plasma cells in the bone marrow), and is in considerable pain all the time. I sent him a postcard from Mexico, posted in February, and it just arrived this past week. My handwriting is difficult, if not impossible to decipher, so I said I would pop by and "unscramble" it for him and his sister, Julia, visiting from Hungary.

This evening F/S have invited us for a lamb dinner before they take us to the Stanley to see Hairspray, their present to us on the occasion of our 35th wedding anniversary. So better sign off of for now as clock is ticking! Anyway, that is some of what I've been up to these last few days. Look forward to seeing you and rest of gang tomorrow. Cheers, Il Conductore!

No comments:

Post a Comment