Thursday 11 August 2011

IIDD, Aug 11th

Pat:

Things are very serious over here as you can tell from the youtube clip below. The fact that you haven't been riding much might give me an outside chance, Pat. Arrive Vancouver Thursday evening. Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XycWQEM6Bkg


Hi again, Ray!

Glad you have a family chauffeur! I'd probably like to join you on Saturday morning, if you plan to go out with Rod and Peter, as we have a full afternoon that day.

Managed a fairly decent ride yesterday. Didn't leave until about 3:30pm and by then, sun was just starting to peak through cloud cover. Had been fairly overcast, gloomy and coolish until then. At any rate I made my way out to UBC and along Marine. Dropped down Crown and into Musqueam, up to entrance of Shaughnessy and then back down to take a look at how construction was proceeding on new recreation centre. Past there, I usually take a side street to make my way back to Marine. Just as I was about to turn down this street a chap who had been sitting on a large rock at the edge of one of the corner houses, chatting with a number of other people, came out into the street, waving his arms and telling me that I couldn't go any further as this was private property and did I know that I was on a reservation. When I explained that I simply wanted to take a look at new centre he simply reiterated that this was private property. I said "Okay" and asked him which way he wanted me to leave. To this he said I should return the way I had come so that is what I did.

Not quite sure how I feel about this, for a number of reasons, but on one level, it hardly seems to advance positive relations between indigenous peoples and non-natives. I have noticed, on earlier rides past this site, that there is a large sign noting that Federal Funds are paying for at least some of construction costs so some fraction of our tax dollars is helping to build this rec centre. I know for a fact that income of First Nations, if situated on a reserve, is not taxed, so conceivably the band or some its workers are not paying any tax on wages earned for work done on this project. Seems as if First Nations cyclists are able to ride through neighbouring Dunbar without restriction while this is not the case for non-native cyclists in Musqueam. The band seems quite happy to encourage people to use their golf course and lease lots but a quiet ride of a summer's evening is a willful trespass. I'm sure whole issue is far more complex than I have made it out to be but I wonder where common sense is in this whole debate. Wrongs, historically and more recently, of course, were certainly done but is this the way to move forward? Anyway, guess Musqueam will not be part of route from now on!

Continued ride back to Marine but took Sarge's advice of a few days ago to introduce more hill climbs into circuit so headed up Camosun to St George's and then back down Crown. Then along Marine again, through Wesbrook Village and out 16th to the dreaded Imperial Loop. This time, after descending Crown, I looped back on Camosun and then made my way back to Crown as I wanted to see if it was any steeper. Think it is a bit more of a climb but not as difficult as I had imagined it might be. Went all the way to 16th this time around and then back to 41st/Marine to repeat process, once more, stopping at St George's, however, before turning around again.

Rest of route was much the same as I've done many times before so I knew I would have 77K on clock by time I was back home. Took about four and a half hours to complete as I was back by just after 8:00pm.

If you are hoping to ride on Friday, what time had you in mind? Friend Kjell is up for Steveston so perhaps we could join up if you are thinking of some time between 11:00am-1:00pm. Just a thought but if you are interested, give me a call. Trust flight home goes well. Cheers, Patrizio!
 

Dom Marcellino and Gianna!

We spit on Mr Fawlty and Manuela! Let me know about ride co-ordinates, time, etc. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Dom Marcello!

With respect to ride on Friday, perhaps you could arrive some time between 11:00am-1:00pm, or earlier if that suits. I think we might be able to find free parking somewhere relatively close by. Let me know what time works best for you. Cheers, Patrizio!
 

Hi Claire and Gregg!

Trust you are both well! Unfortunately, for me, not much riding of late, (Other than errands and the like although I managed a great ride today, 77K by time I was home, so pleased about that. Hope to ride with Flamin' and Sarge on the weekend.), as we've had a very busy last few days here. Started last Friday night when Flamin', Sarge and I, (Coriandre was at a Sarah McLachlan concert with Vancouver Symphony Orchestra with friend Robyn, a New Zealander!), went to a free wine tasting at Kitsilano Wines featuring Domaine Louis Moreau.


As I mentioned, in passing above, we are starting to concretize our travel plans for OZ and would like your opinion about our visit to Brisbane and Queensland, in general. At moment we are thinking about landing on your doorstep around the end of March, the beginning of April, to spend a week or so in Brisbane. We expect to rent a car and take some day trips out of city. Don't hesitate to tell us if that is too long to impose! Furthermore, we'd like to fly to Townsville and/or Cairns from Brisbane and are wondering what you think about which city to visit and what weather might be like. We've heard from others that it should be drying out a bit by then. Web suggests much the same but we'd like to tap your local knowledge. Any suggestions much appreciated. We are still pretty flexible about dates so we have some wiggle room.

All the best. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Linda!

Stress: This is the raison d'etre for the wineries on the Naramata Bench! Cheers, Patrizio!



Hi Brenda Louise and Picasso, The Grammy Grey!

Perhaps Ayn could get you a job with Disney!



As soon as Cora Lee returns from dentist, we'll head out to pick up two living room armchairs that we have had recovered, (Cora Lee's red wine stains/Maggie's shredding!), at a small shop near 12th and Main. Have used services before and been very pleased with work/cost. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Island Folk!

Glad to hear that your exotic island retreat is going well! Still have Clan Sutherland in dark about coolers. Will spring it on them tonight as we are all invited down to have dinner with Kid Chelene and Beckster, his lovely girlfriend, also a member of force. Corey has not seen The Cruel Swiss since they arrived. He knew both Fabienne and Ursula from their past stays which coincided with his being at home from Memorial for summers in question. Maybe even a few hands of bridge!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment