Saturday 6 August 2011

IIDD, Aug 5th

 Hi Milton:

On matters Whirlygiggish, I mentioned that I had to return Origins of Political Order to VPL before I had finished reading it. Giorgio mentioned that Ralf was going to lend him his copy so I was wondering if I could borrow your copy and catch up on my high-brow reading! You could chain it to the bench on our patio if you decide to drop it off before our next non-Readers meeting on August 21st.

On another matter requiring local knowledge, we are planning to visit Hong Kong, for five days or so, leaving Vancouver around the 9th/10th of March, 2012 and were wondering if you could suggest any modest, (Both affordable and comfortable as far as Cora Lee is concerned. For my part, I'm prepared to stay in a hovel where I will need to clean kitchen and stove-top before using facilities!), well-lit accommodation, in an interesting, centrally located part of city, with free WiFi and a grand selection of Single Malt! If you are free, over next little while, perhaps we can arrange to have a meal here and have you suggest an approach to the visit, over the course of the evening, outlining highlights, etc. You could even bring a Power Point presentation! Perhaps we could work in a ride as past of fun-filled event! Anyway, let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizio!
 
Hi Gen.!

Thanks for loan of Fukuyama. I'll trade for Ralf's books and your DVD's.
Will probably watch Blackhawk Down on Friday, (only one not viewed), as Cora
Lee is out with The Sisterhood that evening! With respect to riding on
Saturday, I have a number of suggestions. We could plan to go later in
afternoon and you could stay for dinner and fireworks or some such
combination. If you wish to go earlier and spend time over here after ride,
that is more than fine as well. Cora Lee will be working at Trinity, selling
parking spots to fireworks goers, (proceeds to church outreach programs),
until about 8:00pm so I have planned dinner to accommodate her return,
probably around 8:30pm. Lads can sip malt/bourbon/aquavit until then!

Two other friends, Dom Marcellino and Ragin' Bull, have expressed and
interest to ride on Saturday so since you three are all "latte lovers'=stop
for a rest, bathroom break and java at each and every opportunity", I
thought I'd assemble a peleton which will allow you to dictate start time,
route, distance, hill grade, etc. Let me know your thoughts and we'll plan
accordingly. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Patrick,

I think you'll like Black Hawk, though it's violent. It's funny, U.S./Nato
intervention in Somalia happened over 15 years ago, many lives lost, civil
war still rages on, and now the entire region is on the brink of starvation.


The bike ride I mentioned is next Saturday - Aug 13. Is that okay? We can do
the ride, have dinner, and have a fireside chat later. I'm seeing Claire
Sowerbutt on Sat - shall I pass the book to her? 


Hi O Susannah and Champagne!

I remember, when we were first in Cyprus, in early '50's, we had an icebox as well!

As far as trip goes, we've decided to scrub Fiji, for this trip, at any rate, and go to Hong Kong first, for five days or so, leaving Vancouver on the 9th/10th, arriving in Melbourne on March 16th, at latest. Unless interior flights in Australia are part of a package, we will book ourselves. Since we will be driving with Flamin' and Sarge for much of our visit, we should be able to find flights closer to times we plan to visit Darwin, etc. This will give us a bit more flexibility as well.

Still, as far as we've thought that far ahead, wish to leave from Melbourne or Sydney, (unless you feel it is cheaper/easier, via Cairns/Darwin, as noted in your first itinerary and with proviso noted above), around May 7th/8th for Japan and then from Japan, home to Vancouver.

Will be in touch once we've "argued" with Flamin' and Sarge! Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Big Al:

Enjoyed your "sink tips" endeavours. Cora Lee and I were off to a bbq yesterday evening, at the home of the Chair of the Board of VPL, so was looking forward to meeting some of the movers and shakers in the public library world. I was told I had to be on my best behaviour as Coriandre is the President of The Friends of VPL. Received explicit instructions, beforehand, that I was not allowed to "howl" or otherwise embarrass her! Taunted her with threat of wearing a different coloured Croc on each foot!!!

As it turned out, really a wonderful summer party in a gorgeous back yard. Lovely, lovely house on the corner of 11th and Blenheim. Turned out I knew quite a few people simply because of library connection, (Paul, former City Librarian,/Joan Whitney, Sandra Singh, current VPL Librarian and her husband Mark, a librarian at SFU, other VPL librarians, etc.), but was quite surprised to see Steve Savit, (his wife is on Library Board), philosophy prof at UBC whom I know from the Aquatic Centre but have not seen in some time as I've not been swimming there, of late, and Alan Twigg, author and publisher of BC Bookworld, and Whirlygig's boss! I know Alan, casually, through mutual friends, so it was fun to give him a hard time about keeping Giorgio chained to his desk/computer so that he often cannot ride with me!

Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Ray and Sylvia!

I'm worried about the early starts as well! Have to be ready by 6:30am tomorrow as Giorgio is leaving for Seattle/Portland for weekend!

As I mentioned in last email, Cora Lee and I were off to a bbq yesterday evening, at the home of the Chair of the Board of VPL. As it turned out, really a wonderful summer party in a gorgeous back yard. Lovely, lovely house on the corner of 11th and Blenheim. Turned out I knew quite a few people simply because of library connection, (Paul, former City Librarian,/Joan Whitney, Sandra Singh, current VPL Librarian and her husband Mark, a librarian at SFU, other VPL librarians, etc.), but was quite surprised to see Steve Savit, (his wife is on Library Board), philosophy prof at UBC whom I know from the Aquatic Centre but have not seen in some time as I've not been swimming there, of late, and Alan Twigg, author and publisher of BC Bookworld, and Whirlygig's boss! I know Alan, casually, through mutual friends, (Elaine and Ted Keating, in fact!), so it was fun to give him a hard time about keeping Giorgio chained to his desk/computer so that he often cannot ride with me!

Thanks for latest snap. Gorgeous flowers and I'm not talking about ones growing in planter beds!!! Glad you and Jim are keeping the "child" inside you alive and well! Sounds as if you will have a busy
last few days ahead. You'll probably be so exhausted by time you leave that you'll be able to sleep peacefully all the way home!

Cheers, Patrizio!
Hi Giggster!

Just to bring you up to speed, so to speak! As you know, I had decided I'd head out to UBC before returning home yesterday. Wasn't sure just how far I was prepared to cycle but once I was past UBC and had 52K on the odometer, I knew that I could break 100K. Following my/our regular route, I took my time and when all was said and done, I had logged 121.15K by time I was at The Island Inn, a few minutes before 2:00pm. Felt pretty good, all things considered, as this is the longest ride I've ever done and my feet never touched the ground once for the entire 7 hours! (This mainly for the benefit of my cycling companions, as I am known to circle around and around, at red traffic lights, for instance, so that I don't have to stop until the light changes!)

Looks like I might have a peleton of latte drinkers for Saturday: Dom Marcello, Barnacle Man and Milt The Stilt! Perhaps I'll come to Seattle/Portland with you instead!!! See you at 6:30am at The Heartbreak Terrace. Cheers, Patrizio!


Whirlissimo!

I spit on the border! I'll see you in Pioneer Square! I'll only have to leave Hardtack Hotel at 6:00am! I'll be swilling malt by time you manage to get The Sisterhood out the door! Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Dom Marcello and Gianna!

Please forward snaps to Kersten and Per. As well, I'd appreciate their email addresses when you have a moment. Thanks.

With respect to riding on Saturday, I have a number of suggestions. We could plan to go later in afternoon and you could stay for dinner and fireworks or some such combination. If you wish to go earlier and spend time over here after ride, that is more than fine as well. I take it Jane is working. If not and she would like to join us for ride, terrific. If she is working then perhaps she would like to come for dinner after her shift is over. Cora Lee will be working at Trinity, selling parking spots to fireworks goers, (proceeds to church outreach programs), until about 8:00pm so I have planned dinner to accommodate her return, probably around 8:30pm. Lads can sip malt/bourbon/aquavit until then!

Two other friends, Milt The Stilt and Ragin' Bull, have expressed and interest to ride on Saturday so since you three are all "latte lovers'=stop for java at each and every opportunity", I thought I'd assemble a peleton which will allow you to dictate start time, route, distance, hill grade, etc. Let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Il Conduttore!



Hi Gen. Stilt!

Next Saturday should be fine but it would have to be in the morning as we have two invitations for later that afternoon/evening. Perhaps we could have brunch after ride and then chat about Hong Kong. Otherwise, some evening next week might work. I'd need to coordinate with Cora Lee about her volunteer shifts before suggesting a particular day. Do you have any nights in mind?

Are you meeting Claire here? If so, pop by and we'll exchange loot! Let me know what is best for effecting transfer.

Whirlissimo collected me at 6:30am and we headed around Stanley Park. City looked stunning in early morning sunshine. Up and over Lions Gate, circling past Park Royal and then back over to take road past Prospect Point, through park. I waved goodbye to him at about 8:45am. He is off to Seattle with Kerry. WIll spend night ther and then on to Portland for a couple of nights. They plan to do a bit of wine tasting in Oregon so I will be sending him some suggestions shortly.

Continued on to UBC and followed my regular route, zipping into Musqueam to take a look at the stunning recreation centre that is currently under construction. Back to Marine and then through Westbrook Village, once, and along 16th from MD, twice, to do the Imperial Loop to log necessary distance. Wanted to break the 121K mark I set on Wednesday so was rather pleased to have 126.35K on the odometer by the time I was back at The Island Inn. An increment of 5K seems like a reasonable goal to have if I am ever going to manage the target 160K, Penticton Grand Fondo distance. Must say that I felt strong enough to cycle another 35K but would have had to stop to relieve my bursting bladder before doing so. Although it had contained itself for seven hours it was close to rebelling by time I was home!

Let me know about book/DVD exchange and possibility for Hong Kong seminar. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hey Patrick
We´re in Jasper right now enjoying the beautiful weather.
We just wanted to ask if you´ll be at home Monday noon so that we could drop of our suitcases before returning the car.
How´s everyone doing? We´re having a great time and even saw a bear yesterday.
I still have the same cellphone number and will try to call you when we leave Kamloops.
We´re really excited to see the whole clan again!
Take care and see you soon

Michele, Jonathan, Nicole


Hi Nicole!

Great to hear from you and pleased you are enjoying your holiday! Yes, somebody will be home around noon on Monday, to let you in. (If something happens, we will leave the key to the patio door under a cushion on the chair by the door, closest to the outdoor cupboard. However, this is just a back-up plan as I expect Maggie will be home to welcome you, even if we aren't! As well, you could always go to Granville Island Brewery and see Chloë for her key!) Everyone is well, including Clan Sutherland, and very much looking forward to seeing you and Fabienne again and meeting your friend, Jonathon.

Had another great ride today.  Whirlissimo collected me at 6:30am and we headed around Stanley Park. City looked stunning in early morning sunshine. Up and over Lions Gate, circling past Park Royal and then back over to take road past Prospect Point, through park. I waved goodbye to him at about 8:45am. He is off to Seattle with his girlfriend, Kerry. Will spend night there and then on to Portland for a couple of nights. They plan to do a bit of wine tasting in Oregon so I will be sending him some suggestions shortly.

Continued on to UBC, (Looked like a pretty big beach volleyball tournament was underway for coming weekend along Jericho/Spanish Banks!), and followed my regular route, zipping into Musqueam to take a look at the stunning recreation centre that is currently under construction. Back to Marine and then through Westbrook Village, once, and along 16th from MD, twice, to do the Imperial Loop three times in total to log necessary distance. Wanted to break the 121K mark I set on Wednesday so was rather pleased to have 126.35K on the odometer by the time I was back at The Island Inn. An increment of 5K seems like a reasonable goal to have if I am ever going to manage the target 160K, Penticton Grand Fondo distance. Must say that I felt strong enough to cycle another 35K but would have had to stop to relieve my bursting bladder before doing so. Although it had contained itself for seven hours it was close to rebelling by time I was home!

Enjoy your weekend. If we don't hear from you before, will see you on Monday. Cheers, Patrizio, Your Dearest Host Father!!


Patrizio:

As for the jokes? Nostalgia, nostalgia!

I am sitting with my feet up basking in the aftermath of a foot massage and pedicure. I subscribe to the philosophy about the cat being away. Tomorrow I think I'll invite friends to meet me for lunch.


Patriçio,

Later would work for me as the girls are going South for (most) if the day to the dreaded factory outlet mall off Interstate 5. I need to babysit the Kegetarian in the a.m., but can give him a walk and drop him off in the afternoon just before a ride.

As for destination/route, John & I did the Arbutus train track to Marine, then over to the Cambie RAV line bridge on to the foot of #6. It was actually quite nice as there was minimal traffic. We could then cycle along historic Dyke Road to Steveston for WELL DESERVED espressos.

I would then recommend we cycle to Richmond center and take the RAV line back to Olympic station. I make that about 50K of cycling, and it encounters minimal traffic.

saludos//bjp


Patriçio,

Actually, it looks like a good route would also be cut West to River Road (after crossing the RAV line bridge) and follow River Road all the way to Steveston.

 
Patrizio:
 
Afternoon would be excellent for a ride, since I'm going to watch the lads on TV until 11am. I gratefully accept invitation for dinner, but Jane gracefully declines, since she has invited two German bike-riders to stay with her by way of the "warm showers" programme (arriving today and staying for God knows how long). I would take the van to your place with the bike in it and I need a parking spot for the night (to pick it up Sunday morning).
 
More about details later, then. Marcello
 
P,

Thanks for accommodating the early ride. Hope you beat the 121…

If you think of those wineries in Oregon let me know. I am taking the Mac laptop.

Sisterhood is all ready… I wish. Coulda done Steveston.

Talk to you early next week, W

Whirlissimo!

What happened to you? I waited for about two hours at the Peace Arch Crossing, in vain, it seems!

Rather annoyed, continued on to UBC, (Looked like a pretty big beach volleyball tournament was underway for coming weekend along Jericho/Spanish Banks. Two former Swiss boarders are arriving on Monday and both sisters were extremely talented players so I know they hope to play some matches while here.), and followed my regular route, zipping into Musqueam to take a look at the stunning recreation centre that is currently under construction. Back to Marine and then through Westbrook Village, once, and along 16th from MD, twice, to do the Imperial Loop three times in total to log necessary distance. Wanted to break the 121K mark I set on Wednesday so was rather pleased to have 126.35K on the odometer by the time I was back at The Island Inn. An increment of 5K seems like a reasonable goal to have if I am ever going to manage the target 160K, Penticton Grand Fondo distance. Must say that I felt strong enough to cycle another 35K but would have had to stop to relieve my bursting bladder before doing so. Although it had contained itself for seven hours it was close to rebelling by time I was home!

Was of two minds whether to send along any suggestions but felt sorry for The Sisterhood so here are a few suggestiones: Try to pick up a wine map of Willamette Valley. Usually readily and freely available at motels, wineries, tourist centres, and the like and it'll make navigation easier, perhaps!!! (We have Garmin Goil and we still argue!!!)

If you are around Newberg/Dundee, Sokol Blosser is one of earliest wineries in region, Domaine Drouhin, more recent, but of French lineage; you won't have trouble finding places so just follow your nose! Heading north towards Laurelwood, ArborBrook is worth a stop and Bergstrom. Latter is ridiculously expensive but worth visiting, (I'd share one tasting. Think it is $20 and non-refundable even with purchase!), if only to see how crazy things have become. East towards Carlton or Yamhill, Laurel Ridge and Stag Hollow are far less pretentious and I've always found something I like for a decent price. I'd certainly try to hit Cuneo as I think they produce some remarkable reds, or at least have always done so when we've tasted. Certainly not cheap but well worth the price for a special bottle or two.

As I mentioned earlier, you won't have much difficulty finding places as you will certainly discover that they are cheek-by-jowl. I often ask, at a given tasting room, for suggestions for other wineries, (always good to tap into local knowledge), based on type of wine you might have liked, etc. Have made some of our most exciting discoveries this way.

Trust all goes well for rest of weekend. Look forward to comparing notes when back. Fondestos to The Sisterhood and Cheers, Il Conduttore!










No comments:

Post a Comment