Thursday 18 August 2011

IIDD, Aug 18th

Patrizio:

I love the pics--especially the wine chiller ace mold. jhh

Hi Zircon!

I think you must have bridge on your mind: "I love the pics--especially the wine chiller ace, [sic], mold." What is your opening bid when you hold for ices? Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Mr Grizzle!

I spit on your 20 mile kayak feat! See odometre below, for proof of my best ride to date! A salad it is! See you on Sunday, around 4:00pm. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Per et al!

Great to hear from you and receive both the news of Mackmyra's impressive awards and Kersten's distant hug! Lovely to meet you and get to know both Kersten and you a little better. Did Dom Marcellino/Vasil forward you the snaps I sent along, taken the evening of your lovely soirée? If not, let me know and I'll send along pics.



Snap: Odometer after last Wednesday's ride, similar to one, in terms of distance, with Kjell last Friday, although he had to take Sky Train to Olympic Village from Richmond!

Hi Vassilly!

Thanks for email addresses. Wondering if you would like to ride again, next Friday? Something along lines of last time or else a ride you might suggest. Dinner will be after 6:00pm. Apparently Snobby Bobby's Corinne will not be able to join us! Let me know about ride on Friday or earlier in week. Cheers, Patrizio!



Patrizio, moj drug,
 
I'm definitely on for Friday ride! Again, I'll do around 60.
 
So, the most interesting item on the Friday dinner agenda has been deleted. NOT a good sign for Snob. In fact, I have only seen one of his last fourteen dates.
 
 Hello Manuela and Vassily!

Trust you are both well. Are you still planning to ride on Friday? Both of you? Same sort of arrangements as last Friday? Let me know so that I can co-ordinate with Raymundo. Snobbish Bobbish will be arriving around 6:00pm, dinner probably around 7ish. Bestestos, Fondestii and Cheers, Patrizio!

Still planning! Jane could get there by 2pm, or 1.30 at the earliest, which means that is when I get there, too.That OK with you?
 
Vassily
 
Hi Kids!

Confirmazzione that we will meet in last parking lot on Spanish Banks at 2:00pm. You will bring appetizers for dinner. Fondestii and Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Rolando and Renate!

We certainly enjoyed seeing Fabienne and Ursula again, and meeting Valentino. Great kids, indeed! Wonderful visit! Glad you enjoyed your holiday in Eastern Canada and that you plan to return. You are always welcome here!


Hi Sarge!

I never received any to begin with! Cheers, Patrizio!
 
Hi European Touristii!

Enjoy your visit with the Cruel Swiss!


Happy Birthday to Chloe!

Spent the Pm in the mineral pool, the morning walking and drinking coffee in Bistros. On Friday we plan to take the boat at the hotel for a tour ride. This indolent life style willbe duly recorded on my next iMovie. Sounds like your social round I'd as involving as ever. Cheers. B

 
Hello i-Indolentii!

I think your iMovie working title should be something like: "The Lives of the Rich and Indolent"!

Thanks for birthday wishes for Chloë. She left about 7:30pm yesterday evening, after working until 6:00pm, for Winfield, where she will stay with close friends, Stephanie and Luke, until Sunday. Luke's parents have a lovely home overlooking lake, swimming pool and all, I gather. She took my car and our Garmin Goil as she wasn't quite sure how to find place in dark, even though she's been a number of times before. I suggested she stop at the Shell station near Bridal Falls to fuel up as we've found it to be often as much at 7-10 cents cheaper/litre there, relative to prices in Vancouver. At any rate when we were watching Lucas betray Harry, in our latest recorded MI-5 episode, (Witnessed the demise of Tom/Ellie and her daughter, (Maisie?), exposure of Tessa, as you mentioned, in previous, (obviously out of series' chronological order), installment.), phone rang and it was Chloë on her cell, with a cry for help. Reception was terrible and all I could hear was "I'm lost! I'm lost!" When I tried to ask her what her last known location was, in order to try to figure out her relative whereabouts, line went dead. Didn't try to call back as I assumed that either she would call when she could or else the terrorists who had kidnapped her would contact us or send a little finger by FedEx, with ransom note: Pay Chloë's rent for next year or we will eliminate the entire cast of The Young and the Restless! Of course, Cora Lee would have capitulated immediately as this is her favourite soap!!! Fortunately, outcome was quasi-positive for Chloë, (no rent scam!), inasmuch, as she contacted close friend Katie, who patched through to us to inform her quasi-anxious family that their daughter had filled tank at Bridal Falls and was, presumably, speeding her way up the Coquihalla Highway to the Connector and beyond! If the extremist cell has not jammed her mobile, she said she would call sometime today so that we could wish her Happy Birthday on the actual date of her ejection onto the mean streets of Vancouver/Life!

On Tuesday evening, we enjoyed a splendiferous meal at Vig's, (near 11th/Granville), a spot where we have celebrated quite a few of Chloë's birthdays ever since she has gravitated towards being a quasi-Vegetarian. Coriandre and Flamin' walked to restaurant, to snag a table, (no reservations), and Chloë and I drove up when she returned from work. Goils had already started pounding a Laughing Stock Pinot Gris when we arrived so we tried, as best we could, to catch up!Had three wonderful appetizers: Chickpea in star anise and date masala on grilled kale, (Had wanted to try this, in particular, as we have been receiving fair amount of kale in our inner-city Farms weekly vegetable tub and was looking for ways to use it.); Yam, paneer and cabbage kofta in puréed lentil curry; Dungeness crab in coconut cream and cilantro with crispy onions. All were ultra delish!

Pinot Gris finito, we ordered an 8th Generation Pinot Meunier Rosé, as Flamin' and Cora Lee have fallen in love with this winery ever since we tasted there this past July, to go with mains: I had the Rajasthani style goat curry with lightly spiced vegetables; Cora Lee the Wine marinated lamb popsicles in fenugreek  cream curry on tumeric and spinach potatoes; Boithday Goil had BC spot prawns in coconut and fenugreek masala with wheat berry pilaf: Flamin' opted for the Lemon-ghee marinated and grilled organic chicken breast and thigh with roasted garlic and cashews and tangy tomato curry. Everyone shared infinitesimally small, microscopic tid-bits and we all sighed and moaned and whimpered in ecstasy at all the gastronomic delights. Service was excellent, (as it usually is), and prices, all in all, quite reasonable. Everyone was too, too full for dessert so we declined sweets and made our way back to car, patting our full tummies most contentedly!

Fairly early night as I had planned to ride following morning. Robo Ray collected me at 8:00am and we followed the regular route to Stanley Park, over and back across Lions Gate, to head out to UBC. Ray joined me on that leg of jaunt as he getting his cycling legs back again, after his six week virtual long-distance riding hiatus, and we did the Marine Drive/Crown Loop before he headed for home and I continued on to the Imperial Loop as I wanted to log 101K for the day's ride. Had 103K on odometer by time I was home so pleased with distance as I'd not broken the century mark for a little less than a week or so.

Quick trip to Go-Green to empty car of recyclables as Chloë insisted ther not be any bottles clinking in back when she was en route to Okanagan. Back home to grab my bike and then head up to 10th and Discovery to have my eyes checked. All well with this part of my aging frame so was pleased that at least some part of my body was keeping faith! Popped in to visit with my friend, Imre, on Highbury/5th, on way back. Happy to report that he seemed well, under circumstances, (He is terminally ill with multiple myeloma!), and we had a very lively chat, (He regaled me with some of his adventures in LA while there on hols in the mid '80's), before I had to leave to be back to see Chloë before she left for weekend.

Off to see Mom shortly and then plan to cycle to see Dino, my barber, on 41st/Arbutus, to have a trim before leaving for Winnipeg. One of few times I will have time before departure: plan for another 100+K ride domani and then have friends coming for dinner that evening; garden party Saturday afternoon/wine tasting at Marquis, 4:00pm-6:00pm/dinner invitation from Robo Ray/Sylvia, his wife, in the evening; bbq Sunday afternoon with my Book Club at our place in evening; Cora Lee is hosting a Friends of VPL bbq, at our place, Monday evening. When will we pack and have Titanium Green ready for 4:00am lift-off, Tuesday morn? If it's Tuesday, it must be Bridal Falls!!! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi
 

I certainly don't wish Chloe any bad fortune but I couldn't stop laughing about your description
The Ridiculous and the Rich ( as opposed to the Young and the Arrested) have decided to go out for hamburgers tonight...slumming as it were. It's hard to type when all your words are being changed for you and you know the battery needs charging. Better

 
Hi RR and YA!

Hope the burgers were tasty! I was by myself for dinner as Cora Lee has been helping a friend move for most of day. When I called her cell to ask her to bring home some milk, sounded like they were moving their elbows quite a bit! I fixed myself some overlefts, beet greens and green beans, onions and a couple of onion/garlic chicken sausages. all fried up with some red curry paste left to us by the now departed Swiss campers. My lips are still burning! Guess I'll need a few shots of malt to quell fire that is ragin' like Krakatoa, (I'm currently reading Simon Winchester's fascinating account of the 1883 eruption), on my tongue! Might watch Foyle's War if Coriandre makes it home before midnight! Fondestii and Cheers, Patrizio!


 Hi Patrick, Corrinne, et al:

Thanks for pics, etc.  Thanks for welcome to M+Z too, they have landed on their feet, Matthew sent me an account of drinkin whiskey (sic - he's Canadian already eh).  Said also you are formulating Oz in 12 plans, keep it up.

I'm at home right now - wound down to a 3-day week for about another 12 months, then I'll pause more seriously.

We'll see you in December.

Wine here has never been priced better, I regularly get 20 per cent deductions at local Safeway - tha'ts 20 per cent on price specials too, plus another 4 for your loyalty card.  Not sure if you get Penfolds Thomas Hyland shiraz or cab-sav there, but it's in the mid-high range here at a usual price of around $20 -  I've been getting it for about $13.  Tasmanian'Ninth Island' Pinot (rarely good among Pinots of that origin), about the same.  Too much to drink, too little time.

Cheers. S.


Hello Stefano and Kathleen!

Trust you are both well. Delighted to have Zoe and Matt here adn look forward to your visit over Christmas with all your cheap plonk, smuggled in in your guitar/mandolin cases!!! How is your back? Zoe mentioned it was giving you heaps of discomfort. Sorry to hear so if this is, indeed, the case. Retirement IS the answer!!!



Hi Pat;

Will see you at 6 on Friday.

Are the photos, of the Island Inn Folk taken with your Canon G11 (or G12). bob



Hi Bob!

Shots were taken with my G11, G12 is/was birthday present for Chloë. Planning to ride on Friday, before dinner, with Dom Marcello. Not sure about whether Gianna will join us cycling, or not? 

 

What moulds? What wine-cooler kits? And who the heck is "Sarge"? Do I know
these people ... and you?

--Lynnie
XOXO

P.S. A great trip to the Island (but not the Inn) was had by yours truly and
Dom Pedro. Great to be home too.

 
Hi Lurkin' in the Shadows Lynne!

Sorry you couldn't stay to see the moulds in all their Isberg Ice Queen glory!


Rizzo!

So far I see nothing in between us and a spin up to Sonoma.  Nancy is clearing out boxes of her old Social Worker papers from the basement, making me believe we'll actually have someplace to put your stuff. How many cases will there be? Hoping to hook up with friends Sarah and Matt while in the northland...Cactus
  
Hi Cactus and Donna Florida!

Foist and foremost, thanks so much for simply lovely card and most generous sentiments enclosed. Very touching to have such wonderful, emotionally expressive friends! We were both delighted with visit and I, in particular, was heartened to learn that even breakfast goulash was a hit!!! Don't raise your eyebrows, Donna Forget-Me-Not!

Thanks again for Coffaro muleage. There will be two cases of Coffaro and six bottles of Matt's Select.


Riz:

Former mule Janferie, down from London, Ontario for a few weeks, was our guest at Villa Vicente last night! Mule get-together....we had some rather mulish wine (a 98 Barbaresco and a couple of youthful bottles of local grapes) to accompany a simple steak and potato quickie!
Ccts.


Hi Cactoosian!

How is Miss Former Mule doing? Simple steak and potatoe quickie sound quite tasty!

I was by myself for dinner as Cora Lee has been helping a friend move for most of day. When I called her cell to ask her to bring home some milk, sounded like they were moving their elbows quite a bit! I fixed myself some overlefts, beet greens and green beans, onions and a couple of onion/garlic chicken sausages, all fried up, (Shades of breakfast goulash, you say!), with some red curry paste left to us by the now departed Swiss campers. My lips are still burning! Guess I'll need a few shots of malt to quell fire that is ragin' like Krakatoa, (I'm currently reading Simon Winchester's fascinating account of the 1883 eruption), on my tongue! Might watch an episode of Foyle's War if Coriandre makes it home before midnight! Fondestii and Cheers, Patrizio!

  

Pat,
    It sounds as though you are enjoying life far too much. Must have a word with my brother-in-law to see if he can get you a job in the mines (his area of expertise) in some remote mine in Northern BC. He flew in out out, several weeks at a time and often during Xmas holiday periods. I always pitied him but he stuck with it and is now involved with mine safety and spends more time at home.
    Jut returned to computer after your call.
    I had to smile at the exotic menu of Vig's after talking with my friend Bob in Hartlepool earlier in the day on Skype. He had thoroughly enjoyed his meal, in some North Yorkshire pub, of Cumberland sausage, mashed potato, peas and gravy - all less than 4 pounds!
    Hope Chloe's finger hasn't arrived in the mail. I do sympathize as I am not the best navigator myself and often tend to rely on Sylvia when driving in new areas.
     Will call in the morning to plan a ride, I hope.
Ray
 
Hi Raymundo!

You can provide details of hardship posting on Saturday! No finger but had a brief chat with the Lost Soul as she called, an hour or so ago, to let us know all went well after distress signal. Apparently she arrived at 12:30am! Perhaps you and Corinne could take a trip together, after Sylvia and I insure you both for millions!!!

I was by myself for dinner as Cora Lee has been helping Robyn, (of Ken Cummane fame), move for most of day. When I called her cell to ask her to bring home some milk, sounded like they were moving their elbows quite a bit! I fixed myself some overlefts, beet greens and green beans, onions and a couple of onion/garlic chicken sausages, all fried up with some red curry paste left to us by the now departed Swiss campers. My lips are still burning! Guess I'll need a few shots of Bunnahabhain to quell fire that is ragin' like Krakatoa, (As I think I might have mentioned, I'm currently reading Simon Winchester's fascinating account of the 1883 eruption), on my tongue! Might watch an episode of Foyle's War if Coriandre makes it home before midnight! Talk tomorrow morning. Cheers, Patrizio!
 
Hi Patrick

Have a great trip to Winnipeg. Will be thinking of you! Cheers, Jo-Anne
 
Hi Jo-Anne!

Is that because you equate The Peg with Lac La Biche? Chatted with Chloë, briefly, a few minutes ago, as it is his 35th today, and she wanted me to thank you for the contact information and mentioned she would be in touch once she is back in Vancouver. Guess there is no easy Internet access where she is. Thanks again.

We''ll be thinking of you when we are killing mosquitoes at Falcon Lake!!! Cheers, Patrizio!
 
Hi Patrick,
 
Good to hear that all's well in your life and that you at least have good eyes. Lynne and I always stop at Hope for gas. I agree that Bridal Falls is sometimes the cheapest gas west of Calgary, but not a big enough difference from Hope to sacrifice your only daughter to the lurking hillbillies.

Lynnie and I had a great trip to the island, about which I'm sure you could fill many pages. Will only whet your appetite with the briefest summary.

Our first destination, Tuesday evening, was sister and brother-in-law Jane and Larry on Denman Is. They have one of the largest and most productive vegetable gardens you will ever see. We had a wonderful 2 nights visit with them. Meals were very organic and very good, including fantastic berry pies. Jane proposed a trip to Hornby Island on Wednesday, with a hike through Helliwell Park, and a few stops at local galleries etc. Hornby is quite a different world with the upscale hippy culture. We missed my old friends Humphrey and Clair Jones, who have a 20 acre waterfront property on Hornby. They were on their weekly shopping run to Courtenay, but we managed to track them down through my brother Bill who lives in Union Bay, and H&C stopped in at Jane's later in the afternoon for a couple of beers and some of Larry's delicious homemade cider. Humphrey and I travelled in Europe for 9 months in 1966-67, and I was best man at their wedding about 45 years ago. Brother Bill came over for dinner on Wednesday night, driving his 1959 Rover that he inherited from our Dad. Thursday, Lynne, Jane and I had a great hike through Central Park on Denman Island, a piece of land endowed by some generous islander. We then went to the Denman Island cemetery to visit Mom, Dad and great aunt Kathleen's graves. We cleaned off the graves and shed a few fond tears.

Thursday afternoon Lynne and I relocated to our friends John aka Wedge and Jo-Anne's place on the waterfront on the east side of Denman Island, next door to Mom and Dad's old place. We had a nice visit with them as usual. Wedge and I have been good friends since 1972, early in our engineering careers, and were working together on the Toromocho Project in Peru in recent years until he went back into retirement (younger than me). Jo-Anne, who is some years younger than Wedge, sprang a surprise on us, announcing that she has just finished writing a novel. That was a real shocker, as Jo-Anne has never seemed that literate to me. The novel confirmed my impression of her literary skills but is highlighted by lengthy explicit sex scenes. It's sure surprising what you find out about people. Wedge and I, after a tour of all the gardens, fruit trees and toys on his quite large property, had a couple of beers while the girls were getting quite wound up drinking a bottle of 2010 Nichol pinot gris. (I think this is their best ever vintage, and unfortunately their young winemaker Matt has decided to move to France). Wedge and I had a sauna then went for a wonderful swim in the ocean. It was quite warm, as the tide was coming in and flooding the sun-warmed rocks. The sauna and swim were unrelated to Jo-Anne's sex scenes, as the novel announcement came later. After whiskies and a good dinner, we had a fairly early night.

Friday we had a pre-arranged rendezvous with another old friend, meeting for lunch at a resort south of Courtenay on Vancouver is. Tom White, also from our early days at Gibraltar Mines in Williams Lake circa 1972, and his wife Jan, live in Salt Lake City but keep their large and expensive DeFevre yacht in Sidney. We met up with Tom and Jan, Wedge and Jo-Anne, brother Bill, and Wedge's brother Bill (dissipated ex Province journalist who lives in Comox). Photo attached. After a pleasant lunch, we drove down island to Victoria. Traffic was heavy, and my eyelids got a bit heavy after lunch on a warm day. My dear wife's angry rejoinders kept me going.

On arrival at sister Mary's, we just had time to say hello to Mary and Peter when a party broke out. Uncle Pete and Auntie Lynne's arrival was a much heralded event. Niece Rosie and her mate Matt arrived with the cherished new baby Kesler for oohing and ahhing, along with nephew Willie (Rosie and Wille are both Jane's kids) and nephew John (Peter and Mary's). A great family event and the baby really is cute and adorable.

Saturday we went driving throughout Victoria and Saanich visiting Saturday markets. It's a great area and we saw lots of interesting stuff. One of the markets had a booth selling potions, and I couldn't resist buying their signature product, Snore No More. I've been trying it out and Lynne is optimistic that it's working. It's a jar that you open for the night and let out a nice aroma that smells much like eucalyptus. After our market tour, we went to visit Tom and Jan on their yacht at VanIsle marina in Sidney and had a nice lunch snack and wine from the Saturna Island winery.

Sunday morning Peter proposed a bike ride from their place near U Vic to downtown, along a biking trail called the Galloping Goose. We stopped for a great breakfast at a place downtown, then continued our tour of the harbour and other sites, ending up at Rosie and matt's place where we rendezvoused with the ladies. On the way there, we rode past a school, which flashed into my mind as being Tillicum Elementary. I attended there for a brief month or two in Grade 2, in about 1954. My extreme unhappiness there must have registered as I had no trouble recognizing it. Peter was the victor in a hard fought croquet match in Matt's back yard, then we said goodbye and headed back to Mary's where I watched the final round of the PGA Championship while the others slept.

At 4 PM, we once again relocated, to our friends Barb and Fred's condo in Saanich. They are on the 5th floor, with a beautiful view over the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the Olympic Peninsula and Mount Baker. In the foreground is a very nice Par 3 golf course. I took Fred a bottle of Lagavulin 12 year old, which I hadn't realized until we opened it that it was cask strength. We both found it pretty rough at full strength, but with some dilution was much like the Lagavulin I love. Fred is the founding Keeper of the Quaich for Sidney (i.e. head of the local Whisky Society). I sampled a number of his scotches. His collection certainly doesn't hold a candle to yours but still nice to be able to browse. We spent quite a bit of time during our visit sorting out plans for our 3 week trip to eastern Europe with Fred and Barb next May 22.

Monday we caught a ferry to Saltspring Island and spent most of the day there, hiking and lunching. Like Hornby, quite prosperous but still lots of hippy flavour. We ended our visit with a nice Japanese themed meal that Fred prepared. I had to keep a low profile Monday evening as I was getting up to catch a 7 PM flight to Vancouver for an all morning meeting while Lynne brought the car over on the ferry on Tuesday morning. Lynne met me in the lobby at 750 W Pender where I had been meeting. It just happened to be at the entrance to Pacific Centre so we went to the Apple store and bought a new Macbook Air for Lynnie and a new I-pad for both of us for our upcoming travels to Europe.

Anyway, we're back home now. I have a crazy schedule in the next couple of weeks, with two quick trips to Vancouver next week, the vineyard and garden needing attention, hosting an NCA barbecue Friday evening, a key golf match on Saturday for which I have to have practice rounds, and then a week trip to Chile the week of Sept 28-Oct 3, followed by a visit from Tom and Jan on their return drive to Salt Lake City. Tonight Lynnie and I have a special treat in store. We're going to a God's Mountain winemaker's dinner featuring Painted Rock. Should be yummy wine and food.

Wish I could visit next week but probably no time to spare. Best to you and Corinne.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Dom Pedros and LL!

Am most impressed, and seriously so, with your Gulf Island Diaries! Now, given your new iPad II, I expect even more detailed and descriptive accounts of each and every business trip, let alone exotic holidays!!!

No finger by lurking Deliverance hillbillies or FedEx but had a brief chat with the Lost Soul as she called, an hour or so ago, to let us know all went well after distress signal. Apparently she arrived at 12:30am! Having a blast in Winfield so all's well that ends well!

Robert called to ask if I was available for bridge yesterday evening. Couldn't make it, neither could Sarge. Too bad as I'd enjoyed round with everyone when you were last here.

On  a more mundane note, as far as fine dining goes, I was by myself for dinner this evening as Cora Lee had been helping a friend move for most of day. When I called her on her cellulare to ask her to bring home some milk, sounded like they were moving their elbows quite a bit! I fixed myself some overlefts, beet greens and green beans, onions and a couple of onion/garlic chicken sausages, all fried up with some red curry paste left to us by the now departed Swiss campers. My lips are still burning! Guess I'll need a few shots of malt to quell fire that is ragin' like Krakatoa, (I'm currently reading Simon Winchester's fascinating account of the 1883 eruption), on my tongue! Might watch an episode of Foyle's War if Coriandre makes it home before midnight!

We leave for Winnipeg, via Bridal Falls, at some ungodly hour Tuesday morning so we'll wave to you as we pass Hope! Fondestii and Cheers, Patrizio!

No comments:

Post a Comment