Thursday 11 August 2011

IIDD, Aug 9th

Hi Brenda Louise!

Sounds like your indolence is gaining momentum! Make sure it's only a three martini lunch!!!

Had another great ride today. Whirlissimo collected me at 6:30am and we headed around Stanley Park. City looked stunning in early morning sunshine. Up and over Lions Gate, circling past Park Royal and then back over to take road past Prospect Point, through park. I waved goodbye to him at about 8:45am. He is off to Seattle with his girlfriend, Kerry. Will spend night there and then on to Portland for a couple of nights. They plan to do a bit of wine tasting in Oregon so I will be sending him some suggestions shortly.

Continued on to UBC, (Looked like a pretty big beach volleyball tournament was underway for coming weekend along Jericho/Spanish Banks. Two former Swiss boarders are arriving on Monday and both sisters were extremely talented players so I know they hope to play some matches while here.), and followed my regular route, zipping into Musqueam to take a look at the stunning recreation centre that is currently under construction. Back to Marine and then through Westbrook Village, once, and along 16th from MD, twice, to do the Imperial Loop three times in total to log necessary distance. Wanted to break the 121K mark I set on Wednesday so was rather pleased to have 126.35K on the odometer by the time I was back at The Island Inn. An increment of 5K seems like a reasonable goal to have if I am ever going to manage the target 160K, Penticton Grand Fondo distance. Must say that I felt strong enough to cycle another 35K but would have had to stop to relieve my bursting bladder before doing so. Although it had contained itself for seven hours it was close to rebelling by time I was home!

Enjoy your languorous weekend! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!!


Pretty soon you'll be able to bike east to see us. 

Greek food for lunch marked the ending of my bachelorette days. The old boy is starting to head west.
Did a little more study of iMovie using the app tutorial. There is a sample movie made with different transitions that is quite professional. I have got a very long way to go before producing something like that. Although the demos are strictly tech in nature with no hints on the creative process behind it all I can see you'd have to have a storyboard to make such a finished product. I don't really think that's what I want to do as all I want is a record of events in the spirit of a snapshot. It is cool to realize the power of these Apple devices and how they all sync together.


Is it Corinne that has a sinus issue or is it someone else I'm thinking about. If it is her then I have a regimen suggestion picked up from my sister's naturopath.


Hi Brenda Louise!

Unfortunately, from a biking perspective, I've not been able to log as much distance, of late, so it may be a week or so before I attempt the hill leading to your abode! We have had a a busy last few days as a close friend, Jim, from Calgary, arrived on Sunday. Met initially, when he was our minister at St James United. He moved to Alberta when St James amalgamated with Kitsilano United. Corinne was very involved with that merger and subsequent interfaith relationship with the Anglican congregation at St Mark's, literally across the street from the site of Kitsilano United. At any rate, we often stay with Jim when driving to Winnipeg, or beyond, so it was lovely to host him for a change.

Next day, two former Swiss boarders, sisters Fabienne and Ursula, arrived, along with a university chum, Valentino, to stay for a week. Had to "stash" them downstairs for a night with Clan Sutherland. They are almost completely de-nested at moment so have extra bedrooms. Sisters are delighted to be back in Vancouver and are enjoying cycling around city, showing sights to Valentino. They are both extremely competitive beach volleyball players and have already lined up matches, at Kits Beach, with friends made over the course of their earlier stays.

After Jim flew back to Calgary, yesterday, girls moved into spare bedroom as they wanted to be back in "their room"! For some time we had a sign on the door which read "Swiss Boarders Only" as we had a string of five in a row, two cousins and then their friends!

Kids will be here until this coming Monday so we are having large dinners of an evening. Fortunately weather is co-operating and days are terrific for biking, sightseeing and the like, while late afternoons and evenings for entertaining on patio.

With respect to sinus infection, I suffered from a nasty one last July, just before we left Falcon Lake for Toronto. Bug probably came from Cora Lee's young nephew as his grandfather, George, Cora Lee's brother, came down with something similar and he had been caring for Emmett for week before we arrived. I had to go to an emergency clinic at the hospital near where we were staying in Mill Hill Broadway, North London, a few days after we arrived as I was not getting any better. Quite happy with diagnosis/treatment and prescription. RBC eventually reimbursed me so nice to actually have had and been able use travel insurance, under circumstances!

Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio.

PS: Will you be nominated for an Oscar this year?


Hello Cyclistii!

Given Ragin's dog walking responsibilities and Dom Marcellino's loyalty to The Lads, (Swedish soccer team, Barnacle Man, so you and DM will have much to talk about on your numerous java breaks!), I suggest Kjell should arrive at The Island Inn shortly before 2:00pm, say 1:45pm, to be ready for a 2:00pm lift-off. Branko to be circling parkade by then. I'm off shortly to help with move of VCC to their new Olympic curling facility. Plan to be home around noon so I'll check my email then and/or call to confirm with stakeholders. Buona Fortuna with your respective endeavours. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Catastrophe struck. I don't feel very well (sore muscles, bad stomach, may be a slight temperature) and will have to cancel today's ride (and dinner). Very sorry about that. Marcello
2011/8/6 Branko Peric <branko@mac.com>

c u @2!

Will call should catastrophe strike.

saludos//bjp
 
Dom Marcellino!

Sorry to learn that you have been stricken! Do hope you are on the mend soon. Let me know what you might like to attempt, regarding a ride, when you are feeling better. Cheers, Patrizio!



Pat and Corrine:

This is just to confirm that I arrive Sunday. I will catch LRT into Vancouver and call you from the train. Disembarking at Olympic Station. I have dinner plans for Monday evening--meeting Dominic. I am also planning a visit with Jack ODell and Jane Powers -- probably Monday afternoon. I fly back to Calgary late Tuesday afternoon. Other than that I will try and not make too big a pest of myself. Looking forward to the visit. Jim.


Greetings, Most Revered and Noble Zircon!

We await, with bated breath, your call, O Master from Alberta! Pleased, ever so humbly and obsequiously, to learn that we might catch, at least a glimpse of you, while you deign to honour us with your august presence on this, your whirlwind tour of the hinterland and the poor folk who inhabit the mean ends and muddy byways of the western shores. Safe journey, my liege. As ever, I remain, your loyal and loving servant, Patrizio!
 

Hi David:

This is what I sent to Giorgio:

Pick up a wine map of Willamette Valley. Usually readily and freely available at motels, wineries, tourist centres, and the like and it'll make navigation easier, perhaps!!! (We have Garmin Goil and Cora Lee and I still argue!!!)

If you are around Newberg/Dundee, Sokol Blosser is one of earliest wineries in region, Domaine Drouhin, more recent, but of French lineage. Apparently one of family members wanted to start a winery in Oregon as Willamette is on same latitude as best Pinot Noir growing regions in France. You won't have trouble finding places so just follow your nose! Heading north towards Laurelwood, ArborBrook is worth a stop and Bergstrom. Latter is ridiculously expensive but worth visiting, (I'd share one tasting. Think it is $20 and non-refundable even with purchase!), if only to see how crazy things have become. East towards Carlton or Yamhill, Laurel Ridge and Stag Hollow are far less pretentious and I've always found something I like for a decent price. I'd certainly try to hit Cuneo as I think they produce some remarkable reds, or at least have always done so when we've tasted. Certainly not cheap but well worth the price for a special bottle or two.

I could go on and on, (Panther Creek, close to McMinnville; Raptor Ridge and Ponzi, near Scholls; Bethel Heights near Lincoln; etc.), but as I mentioned earlier, you won't have much difficulty finding places as you will certainly discover that they are cheek-by-jowl, at least in area around Newberg and environs. I often ask, at a given tasting room, for suggestions for other wineries, (always good to tap into local knowledge), based on type of wine you might have liked, etc. Have made some of our most exciting discoveries this way.

Trust all goes well for rest of weekend. Look forward to comparing notes when back. Fondestos to The Sisterhood and Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Have a great time! Cheers, Patrizio!


Thanks Pat - I have taken some notes and will follow our nose!

Hi Patrick,

Claire's coming over to my place.

Saturday morning might be difficult for me. We could do a bike ride on
Thursday late afternoon, say at 5pm, and then eat/drinks later. Or we could
skip the bike ride and meet up on Thurs evening for a drink.

Let me know!

Milton
 


Hi Miltonious!

I took the two books and three DVD's up to Claire's apartment, earlier this afternoon. I presume you will send Origins of Political Order by return courier!

Must say that I really enjoyed Black Hawk Down. For some reason, I had always thought/assumed it was a Rambo-like film and, as such, it didn't hold much interest for me, just hearing the title made me think of incredible/unbelievable war escapades carried out by men with bulging muscles and bandannas! Much to my surprise, then, and delight, not in the violence and sheer horror of the conflict, but in the remarkable cast and their almost understated performances, the director's telling approach to the mayhem and chaos of a city and populace under siege, all knit together in a Gordian Knot of fanaticism and fear, selfless acts of courage and love of comrades. Thought it did an incredible job of showing the terrible complexity of the situation, for both US soldiers and Somalis, whether innocent civilians or war lord supporters and suspect it will be, or, indeed, already is, seen as one of the elect in the pantheon of such difficult American war films such as Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan and most recently, The Hurt Locker. Thanks very much for bringing BHD to my attention.

With respect to Thursday's ride, I'll need to confirm that once I've had a chance to chat with our two former Swiss boarders who arrive on Monday. Not that I will be spending all the week that they will be here with them but not sure, at this point, just what their plans entail. You might enjoy meeting Fabienne and Ursula as they are lovely young women and lots of fun. Perhaps we can work something out to accommodate both a ride and meal with them. I'll let you know by Tuesday, at latest.

Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Patrick,

Glad you liked the movie! I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for delivering the loot
to Claire, she gave them to me yesterday. She picked me up yesterday
afternoon, on our way to a friend's summer party. I didn't see your email
till last night, so I wasn't too sure if you wanted me to hand the book to
Claire. Let me know about Thurs! Milton 



Gen. Stilt:

Looks like Thursday will not work for a ride or dinner as there is a large a gathering at Sutherland's that evening. Swiss kids might like to hit Steveston on Friday so let me know if that might work for you. The four of you could stop for java there while I circle endlessly!! Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Gianna and The Swedish Patient!

Trust the flu bug has been overcome, vanquished and you are "attacking" Seymour, Dom Marcellino!

Just had a lovely brunch with Snobby Bobby and Anna. They popped over, literally just before they start their week long camping trip up towards Lilloet and environs, in part to to say hello to Zircon, a mutual friend from Calgary, here for a few days.

Have made plans to meet "his' Corinne on Friday, July 19th, here at The Island Inn, so we are hoping you will both be able to join us, and perhaps even work in a ride to boot! Let us now and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Ciao, Conduttore,
Whatever it was lasted for about two days. Late yesterday afternoon we went to the cabin and today we climbed up to Starvation Lake and further to the highway. Partly enjoyable, partly like working yourself up and down a quarry. We had a nice swim in the lake on our way down, though.
We are delighted to accept your invitation for Friday, July 19th, and I would very much like to go biking with you again. After tomorrow, when I'm expecting some aftermath from today's hike, I will be available most days. Marcello

Dear Patrick and Corinne, 

How are you? I got you email from Steve. I have just moved to Vancouver with my husband Matthew for two years. We have just found a lovely apartment at 14th and Granville, very close to you I believe, and we would love to catch up with you if you have any time in the next fortnight? My number is 778 320 3925, although I am having a little trouble with it so if you dont get on to me please try email. Hope you are well, and hope to hear from you soon. Kath and Steve send their love. Best wishes, Zoe 
Hi Zoe and Matt!

Welcome to Vancouver! Terrific to hear from you as I was just remarking to Corinne that I had not heard from your parents about your whereabouts or anything about their own busy lives! We'd love to see you and meet Matthew. Let us know what afternoons/evenings, over the next little while, work for you and we'll plan accordingly.

Cheers, Patrizio!



Hi Robert!

Great to see you the other night. Just had a very brief visit from Lynne and Peter, en route to Vancouver Island for a week or so, as they dropped off some wine coolers we'd payed for but not taken delivery of, when last in the Okanagan. Were not in stock at 8th Generation at time so they kindly "muled" them for us. Not sure if Dom Pedro forwarded you Giorgio's recipe for salsa or not. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Pat,

I just got in. Wiil need tomorrow for errands, chores and preparing for next trip away, with Anna, so how about a little vist late Monday morning. I will pick up Anna around 10 am and then come to your place (for a coffee and a visit) if that works.

We are going into Cheakamus Lake with a pup tent, for some wilderness camping, then continuing on to Lillooet, Tuesday i suspect.

Till then hopefully,

bob


Hi Zircon!

Trust you are home and safely so! Wonderful to see you if only for a micro-visit! Please plan to stay longer next time around!!! 




Hi Linda!

Lovely to hear from you! By chance, I suppose, Zircon was just here for three days! He left today, at 3:00pm. Had a lovely, if brief visit, playing bridge and catching up. He mentioned that you are contemplating selling your place in Penticton, ( contrary to my advice!), but if you are decided upon this course of action, we know a family that may well be interested. They are moving from Keremeos in the fall and will be renting initially. At any rate, if you want their contact info, just let me know.

Thanks for offer of joining you in Russia but we plan to be in Japan in May. Will be spending about three months in Australia beforehand. Trust all goes well. Keep in touch. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hey Patrick, sounds like a great vacation. I was in Japan for several years and only in Australia for a few weeks but plan to go back one day. If I can I will keep the house. Have had trouble with renters but like your advice banks and financial advisors say keep it. Two more years and if I can do it without to much stress I will be fine.

Jim is doing great, so pleased to see him doing so well health and enjoying life. Hi Corrine


I fell in love with Vancouver all over again--what's not to love
Island Inn Hospitality--wine, scotch and bridge
Sea Wall Cycling any direction you want to go
and reading recommendations as easy and fast as click to the Kindle Store.

Thank you for making room for me. I won't be the last time.
This evening I drive the foothills route to Turner Valley for a church meeting--it is a beautiful part of the world--probably deadly isolated in winter, but paradise in summer.
Take care, Jim

Hello Turner Valley!

Thanks for filling out the Island Inn Guest Evaluation form and ticking off "Excellent" for all categories!!

Cheers, Patrizio "Omar Goren Sharif", your partner against Sarge and Prince Valiant!!!!


Hi Goils!

This Sawhet Owl is a smaller variety, which is probably why the cat is still alive. Make sure Maggie watches this! Cheers, Dad/Patrizio!

http://www.wimp.com/catowl/



Hi Big Molly!

Once the floodgates are opened...!

This is the crowd before the Vancouver riot. Put your cursor anywhere in the crowd and double-click a couple of times and then use the scroll button in the centre of your mouse. This is the photo taken by Port Moody photographer Ronnie Miranda that appeared in Tri-City News Friday June 24th.. You can see - perfectly - the faces of every single individual - and there were thousands! Privacy? Just think what the police and the military have at their disposal.

http://www.gigapixel.com/image/gigapan-canucks-g7.html



Hi,
I don't know if I told you, but I have been suffering with shingles and now, Post Herpetic Neuralgia since our return home from Yuma, April 2. It is very painful and itchy at times. I have been on four different drugs, but none really seem to help me that much.

My advice is to get the vaccine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will need a prescription from your Dr. Frank got his in June. I am on a campaign to educate all my friends over 50 to avoid this plague. I sure wish I had known or been forewarned. Since I have been advertizing my dilemma, I have discovered that many family and friends have either had it or know of someone close who has had it. No one really talks about it but it is a serious condition to be avoided.

I tire very easily and have hardly any energy. Movement causes me pain so I have not been able to do anything in the way of exercise, other than some slow walking. I have tried acupuncture, 6 sessions, and one session in an infrared sauna. The pain stops for the session, mainly because I am not moving, but then it starts up again. This is nerve pain and feels like burning pins and needles in a raw sore. My scar is about 3 inches wide from mid chest under my left breast round to mid back. That's where the pain emanates from.

You can get shingles on almost any part of your body. My girlfriend had hers on her head and said she thought she had a tumour. You can get it in your eye and end up losing your sight. If you don't get the vaccine, you can get shingles more than once. If you never had chicken pox, you cannot get shingles. My Mom told me that I had not had chicken pox; well my GP says that I did.

Heat does help so my bean bag is constantly in the micro wave. I am going to pick up some B complex to try and boost my immune system. Each time I start or end a new drug, my tummy acts up, so my weight has been going up and down, depending on whether I can eat well.

This has been a lousy 9 months for me and counting. If you recall, I had a total hysterectomy the end of September and then got a super bug from the hospital,  C-Difficile, which lasted until mid December. It's no wonder that my immune system has been compromised.

Fondly, Maggie


Hi Maggie!

Terribly sorry to learn about your more than nasty bout of shingles and related complications. Corinne's mother, Clara, has suffered from shingles over the years but I do believe, not to the same degree as you were afflicted. Her outbreaks seem to have been related to heat, in terms of the outside temperature. At any rate, I trust you are on the mend and starting to feel much better.

We have had a a busy last few days as a close friend, Jim, from Calgary, arrived on Sunday. Met initially, when he was our minister at St James United. He moved to Alberta when St James amalgamated with Kitsilano United. Corinne was very involved with that merger and subsequent interfaith relationship with the Anglican congregation at St Mark's, literally across the street from the site of Kitsilano United. At any rate, we often stay with Jim when driving to Winnipeg, or beyond, so it was lovely to host him for a change.

Next day, two former Swiss boarders, sisters Fabienne and Ursula, arrived, along with a university chum, Valentino, to stay for a week. Had to "stash" them downstairs for a night with Clan Sutherland. They are almost completely de-nested at moment so have extra bedrooms. Sisters are delighted to be back in Vancouver and are enjoying cycling around city, showing sights to Valentino. They are both extremely competitive beach volleyball players and have already lined up matches, at Kits Beach, with friends made over the course of their earlier stays.

After Jim flew back to Calgary yesterday, girls moved into spare bedroom as they wanted to be back in "their room"! For some time we had a sign on the door which read "Swiss Boarders Only" as we had a string of five in a row, two cousins and then their friends!

Kids will be here until this coming Monday so we are having large dinners of an evening. Fortunately weather is co-operating and days are terrific for biking, sightseeing and the like, while late afternoons and evenings for entertaining on patio.

Once again, hope you are feeling better. Regards to you and Frank from Cora Lee. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio.



Lads:


I am unsure if I should have a Scotch Night ever again


Did you know about this?  Just don't let his research get into the wrong hands ...






Scientists for Health Canada suggested that men should take a


look at their single malt consumption, considering the results of a recent


analysis that revealed the presence of female hormones in single malt scotch.





The theory is that drinking scotch makes men turn into women. To


test the finding, 300 men were given 6 wee drams of whiskey each.





It was then observed that 100% of the men gained weight, talked excessively





without making sense, became overly emotional, couldn't drive, failed to think





rationally, argued endlessly over nothing, and refused to apologize when wrong.


Clearly side effects are little understood here….. In the extreme, in overdose situations men have been seen wearing skirts.


Well...
I think further testing needs to be done.

Scotch Night - Sept 1 Thursday 6:30pm into the wee hrs.
[  its the Thursday before the Labour Day weekend  ]
I will be arranging a Driver Service so no-one gets the breath test.

RSVP
Hi Patrick,
Thanks again for hosting the bridge game last week. Your hospitality and
food were great, and you were very gracious to arrange to let me win! It
was great to get the boys together.

Lynnie and I visited your friends at 8th Generation today and picked up the
packages, also met a comely young fraulein over from Germany for the summer.
We're not going to be able to take advantage of your kind offer of
accommodation on our way to the Island, as we have a full schedule for our
vacation visits. We have a reservation on the 3:10 ferry from Horseshoe Bay
on Tuesday, and will try to leave home fairly early (7:30 ish) to get to
your place by noon for the dropoff. Time for a quick visit if you're home.

Hope you're enjoying riding in the summer heat finally.

Cheers. Peter 

Hi Lynne and Peter!

Thanks for dropping off wine cooler kits! Shortly after I said goodbye, went downstairs and picked some flowers from Sutherland's garden and put both moulds into freezer in The Annexe, to be ready for tomorrow's dinner with Flamin' and Sarge, at their place. Sarge came up yesterday afternoon, while I was out running errands, complaining that there was no mould in their package! Corinne said same was true for ours.. Play dumb if you receive a call from Sarge!!!

After Jim flew back to Calgary, (Cora Lee took him to Olympic Village Stationa t 3:00pm), girls moved into spare bedroom as they wanted to be back in "their room"! For some time we had a sign on the door which read "Swiss Boarders Only" as we had a string of five in a row, two cousins and then their friends! Guess we'll have to make a new one:  "Naramatians Only!"

Kids will be here until this coming Monday so we are having large dinners of an evening. Fortunately weather is co-operating and days are terrific for biking, sightseeing and the like, while late afternoons and evenings, gorgeous for entertaining on patio.


Thanks again for "muleage" and delicious fruit! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Pat
BBQ at our place Sunday 21 August... bring spouses and hangers on...
Be great to see you again.
Ron Simmer
Hi Mr. Grizzle!

Thanks for invitation! Would love to attend. When are you starting the bash? What would you like us to contribute? Cheers, Patrizio!
Hi Bob!
 
Great to see you and Anna. Trust all goes/went well on camping trip.
Let us know about the 19th when you are back and we'll plan menu, set times, numbers, etc. Cheers, Patrizio!
Hi Pat and Corinne,

Greetings from Bralorne. Just a quick thank you for Mondays big breakfast. Since then some 200kms of dirt roads, plus the usual pavement, and we feel far away from it all. So far, one hot spring immersion, one bear sighting, some bickering, a gourmet breakfast at the Tyax Resort (this morning). Anna is holding up well, despite complaining about the mosquitoes and wasps, Dad's slowness and learning to play cards (starting with Go Fish for now) as she goes through guidebooks to  plan my every moment in Laos and Cambodia.

The scenery is amazing, our campsite at Tyax wonderful with hot showers and firewood supplied with an amazing lakeview. Now and then the thunder of a Beaver floatplane taking off or landing, disrupts the calm of the valley. Last night the plaintive cry of the loons was a perfect soundbite to go with our campfire in a relatively low bug environment.

Now i must return to my daughter Anna who is alone and abandoned, in the coffee shop.

Best Wishes,
bob

Please forward to Kjell
Hi againan I guess might have pulled a big Molly over the last email I sent LOL! I meant to include a picture of the said single malt which I don't is anything to special but thought I'd'like your opinion any way.

As far as a ride goes I'll have to see how things shape up over the week. I'm trying to get a job wrapped up and get some stuff ready for our trip to Shuswap next week. I bought a new to us trailer night before last and it means we have to clean it and transfer our stuff from the old trailer to the new one and clean up the old one and sell it asap. If all goes well I might be able to squeeze one in next week. I keep in touch.

Thanks, Al
Pat,
Picture taken in Hartlepool at my friend Bob's allotment surrounded by tennis courts and a bowling green. Bob's brother normally wears a 'Speedo' while working there! We were very well hosted by Bob and Lynda.

 
Pat,
The train journey from Hartlepool to Peterborough was interesting as we sat with a group of football supporters going to Wembley Stadium. The father and son combination had drunk 2 beers and 3 vodkas by 11 am. They were friendly enough but I wouldn't have wanted to make the return journey with them.
Now in Hertford with another Jim and he has bikes for the 3 of us. Syvia and I rode along the canal yesterday and through the surrounding countryside today stopping at the'Checkers', a pub along the way for lunch. Met one of Jim's friends, also out for a ride and Brian joined us at the pub where a couple of pints of beer and some cider were consumed. Continued the easy ride and completed about 30 km.
Ray
 
Pat,
Jim Robson crossing the ford during our ride. Sylvia and I crossed over the bridge.
Jim Brownlee is planning the sea to sea ride with his son, daughter and her husband at the end of the month.
Jenny is back from Croatia today and we are heading to Islington for 2 nights, prior to our return, to be with her.
Ray
 
Hi Sylvia and Ray!

Thanks so much for latest round of pictures. Much appreciated. (Have been forwarding to Giorgio but haven't seen him since Friday's ride as he was off to Seattle and then Portland for an extended weekend.) Unfortunately, for my training regimen, not much riding of late, (other than errands and the like), as we've had a very busy last few days here. Started last Friday night when Flamin', Sarge and I, (Coriandre was at a Sarah McLachlan concert with VSO with Robyn), went to a free wine tasting at Kitsilano Wines featuring Domaine Louis Moreau:

Domaine Louis Moreau was born from the passion of a family settled in Chablis in 1814. As soon as the late 19th century, the love of this family for great wines brought her to purchase plots in Grands Crus and Premiers Crus. Nowadays, proprietor of parcels in 5 of the Grands Crus, including a monopole, the domaine works many plots within the appellations of Petit Chablis, Chablis and Premiers Crus, in full respect of the environment. The most prestigious of its wines is the monopole Chablis Grand Cru Clos des Hospices dans les Clos whose acquisition was made by the Moreau family in 1904.

Louis Moreau, who has been heading the domaine since 1994, elaborates wines of unique style, combining minerality, fineness, elegance and purity.

We tasted four that would be fit for The Millionaires!

Chablis Grand Cru Vaudesir 2008 $94.99

Chablis Grand Cru Valmur 2008 $94.99

Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos 2008 $94.99

Chablis Grand Cru Blanchots 2005 $94.99

After tasting, (lovely wine but hardly worth the asking price, in our humble opinion), we had a delightful meal at a new spot near 1st and Burrrard, Kitsilano Daily Kitchen:

http://www.cheffowke.com/D52.cfm?docid=52&id=74&notitle=1

I had the Chilliwack Corn Soup, (consommé -like rather than chowder, but tasty), and the Fraser Canyon Pork Belly, fabuloso! We opted for glasses of wine, Pinot Gris from Burrowing Owl and the Inniskillen Petite Verdot, for me. Latter was a knockout. (Flamin' and Sarge picked up a bottle at Village wines next day and it was $29 but certainly well worth it if one likes this varietal and has deep pockets!) Home to Sutherland's to continue our dinner discussion/planning session for coming trip to Australia. About 9:30pm I went upstairs to watch Black Hawk Down before Cora Lee returned from her evening out.

For some reason, I had always thought/assumed that BHD was a Rambo-like film and, as such, it didn't hold much interest for me, just hearing the title made me think of incredible/unbelievable war escapades carried out by men with bulging muscles and bandannas! Much to my surprise, then, and delight, not in the violence and sheer horror of the conflict, but in the remarkable cast and their almost understated performances, the director's telling approach to the mayhem and chaos of a city and populace under siege, all knit together in a Gordian Knot of fanaticism and fear, selfless acts of courage and love of comrades. Thought it did an incredible job of showing the terrible complexity of the situation, for both US soldiers and Somalis, whether innocent civilians or war lord supporters and suspect it will be, or, indeed, already is, seen as one of the elect in the pantheon of such difficult American war films such as Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan and most recently, The Hurt Locker.

On Saturday, from 9:00am-1:00pm, Sarge and I helped with move of furniture and other assorted items from old home of Vancouver Curling Club, near Nat Bailey Stadium, close to Queen Elizabeth Park, to wonderful new digs in Olympic venue in same sports field complex. Back home to ready house for coming spate of visitors and have a reasonably quite evening watching Masterpiece Mystery, Aurelio Zen.

Picked up close friend, Jim Hillson, from Calgary, at Olympic Village Station at 10:30am on Sunday morning. (Cora Lee was at church and then had a welcoming tea for new, interim minister.) Met initially, when he was our minister at St James United. He moved to Alberta when St James amalgamated with Kitsilano United. Corinne was very involved with that merger and subsequent interfaith relationship with the Anglican congregation at St Mark's, literally across the street from the site of Kitsilano United. At any rate, we often stay with Jim when driving to Winnipeg, or beyond, so it was lovely to host him for a change. Had a grand evening with Sutherlands. Cora Lee bbq'd scrumptious lamb chops, along with zucchini. I did roasted spuds and a mixed green salad and Flamin' contributed a delicious chocolate torte for dessert.

On Monday morning, mutual friend, Bob Altwein, and his daughter, Anna, dropped by to have brunch with us and to see Jim. They were en route to go camping up around Lilloet, north of Whistler, for a week or so. Later that afternoon, two former Swiss boarders, sisters Fabienne and Ursula, arrived, along with a university chum, Valentino, to stay for a week. Had to "stash" them downstairs for a night with Clan Sutherland. They are almost completely de-nested at moment, as I think you know, so have extra bedrooms. Sisters are delighted to be back in Vancouver and are enjoying cycling around city, showing sights to Valentino. They are both extremely competitive beach volleyball players and have already lined up matches, at Kits Beach, with friends made over the course of their earlier stays.

Around 1:00pm yesterday, Lynne and Peter, friends from Naramata, dropped off wine cooler kits we'd paid for at 8th Generation, earlier in July. They were en route to Vancouver Island to visit some of Peter's relatives. Shortly after I said goodbye to them, went downstairs and picked some flowers from Sutherland's garden and put both moulds into freezer in The Annexe, to be ready for tomorrow's dinner with Flamin' and Sarge, at their place. Sarge came up yesterday afternoon, while I was out running errands, complaining that there was no mould in their package! Corinne said same was true for ours. Play dumb if you receive a call/email from either Sarge or Cora Lee!!!

After Jim flew back to Calgary, (Cora Lee dropped him at Olympic Village Station at around 3:00pm yesterday), girls moved into spare bedroom as they wanted to be back in "their room"! For some time we had a sign on the door which read "Swiss Boarders Only" as we had a string of five in a row, two cousins and then their friends!

Kids will be here until this coming Monday so we are having large dinners of an evening. Fortunately weather is co-operating and days are terrific for biking, sightseeing and the like, while late afternoons and evenings are wonderful for entertaining on patio.

Can't remember when you are back. Is it today, in fact? Give me a call when you have collected yourselves. I know Ray will be concerned about tending to his garden, even before he unpacks, I presume! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!
Hi Cactoosian and Donna Florida!

Website looks terrif! What wines were your favs?
cool video!!!!!!!!!!!
We enjoyed the rose; also bought some Syrah and a bottle of Cab which we'll save for you unless we forget! Cactus
Hi again, Vincenzo!

We don't need no stinkin' Cabbage! What about the Petite Sirah? Cheers, Rizzzzzzzzzzo!

Patrizzzzzio,
You must make a fortuna running your hostel! Almost like Gianna and her never-ending stream of "warm shower" guests.
Friday sounds great to me. I'll check with Gianna, who is at the care home to see her dad.
By the way, Gianna and myself agreed yesterday night, after a long and futile discussion on the functionality of Facebook, that from now on we want to be addressed by "Mr Fawlty" and "Manuela" respectively.
Bestestos, fondestos, a pronto,
Mr Fawlty
Dom Marcellino and Gianna!

We spit on Mr Fawlty and Manuela! Let me know about ride co-ordinates, time, etc. Cheers, Il Conduttore!
Things are very serious over here as you can tell from the youtube clip below. 
The fact that you haven't been riding much might give me an outside chance, Pat.
 Arrive Vancouver Thursday evening.
Ray
Hi Ray!


Why don't I meet you at airport with your bike on my rack? Cora Lee can take Sylvia home and we can ride to Steveston, returning via #6 Road and Cambie, just to help you over jet-lag!


Cheeky seagulls indeed! Clip reminds me of ones outside SUB at UBC. Had to have signs posted as gulls would literally snatch pizza slices away fro people eating on plaza outside! I used to laugh at those who lost their lunch until one day I was walking from my office in Koerner Library and had my sandwich literally plucked out of my mouth/hand by a gull! Felt lucky not to have lost part of my tongue or a finger in exchange. Of course, The Sisterhood were sorry to learn that my tongue hadn't been lost in its entirety!


In a more serious vein, on our Friday ride, Whirlygig and I bumped into Rod, making his way to work, on our return from Stanley Park, close to Aquatic Centre. He sounded absolutely aweful. He said he'd been stricken with nasty flu bug for over a week. True to form, (Who does this sound like?), he hadn't missed a day of work! I suppose this is what Peter may have been alluding to when you mentioned that he had mentioned that Rod hadn't been well, in one of your earlier messages.


Friday at 6:30am? You'll be up at 5:00am anyway! All the best for a safe trip home. Forgot to ask if you need a ride from airport? I'm happy to oblige. Just let me know. Cheers, Patrizio!


 




No comments:

Post a Comment