Friday 3 February 2012

IIDD, Feb 3rd, Bridge at The Pitchforks!

Few things are more satisfying than seeing your children have teenagers of their own. -Doug Larson, columnist (b. 1926) 


Thomas Gradgrind catching his children at the circus

Wood engraving: Harry French, 1870s


Gradgrind: Someone who is solely interested in cold, hard facts.



After Thomas Gradgrind, the utilitarian mill-owner in Charles Dickens's novel Hard Times. Gradgrind runs a school with the idea that hard facts and rules are more important than love, emotions, and feelings. Earliest documented use: 1855.




Up grouse in the am 


  • We were watching you, Marvinator, on our return ride from Iona/Steveston. Saw four Blue Herons. What wingspans those incredible creatures posses. Have never seen the Lions covered with as much snow! Rest of North Shore peaks were spectacular, as was Mt Baker. Let's all move back to Winnipeg or St John's where we cannot enjoy such magnificent vistas and just grizzle all the time!


    thelede.blogs.nytimes.com
    "The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation reversed its decision to cut funds for breast cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood affiliates and apologized to the American people for what it said was casting doubt on its "commitment to our mission of saving women's lives."

      • Patrick James Dunn Onward! Fight!
        Some talk of Alexander, and some of Hercules
        Of Hector and Lysander, and such great names as these.
        But of all the world's great heroes, there's none that can compare.
        With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, to the British Grenadiers.
        Those heroes of antiquity ne'er saw a cannon ball,
        Or knew the force of powder to slay their foes withal.
        But our brave boys do know it, and banish all their fears,
        Sing tow, row, row, row, row, row, for the British Grenadiers.
        Whene'er we are commanded to storm the palisades,
        Our leaders march with fusees, and we with hand grenades.
        We throw them from the glacis*, about the enemies' ears.
        Sing tow, row, row, row, row, row, the British Grenadiers.
        And when the siege is over, we to the town repair.
        The townsmen cry, "Hurrah, boys, here comes a Grenadier!
        Here come the Grenadiers, my boys, who know no doubts or fears!
        Then sing tow, row, row, row, row, row, the British Grenadiers.
        Then let us fill a bumper, and drink a health to those
        Who carry caps and pouches, and wear the loupèd clothes.
        May they and their commanders live happy all their years.
        With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, for the British Grenadiers."

        Ayn P I am the only child whose parent actually consider that a bedtime song
        Patrick James Dunn And look where you ended up! (In spite of grammatical agreement/spelling mistakes, either or: parent-considered/parents-consider!)
        Back from his first haircut! Is he an Ewok or a mini-polar bear?
        Ayn P shared Forage's photo.


        Say hello to our new Grilled Steak Bowl with avocado, grilled green onions, and garlic brown rice with radishes and a hand-pounded chimichurri. On the lunch menu starting today.



    Thanks for the pictures Sylvia-looked most attractive and I envy your being out on skis.

    I had Christine take this photo of me showing just how hardy we northerners are in  the sparse snow cover here in Wetherby. If it gets much colder I shall have to get the tights and long sleeve vest on. Ray can verify my identity by the handlebar bar-ends? 


    We have finally put the heating on today as my mother is with us for a few days and I would hate her to get hypothermia while my sister is sunning herself in Barbados. I suppose we have to use our winter fuel allowance at some stage. 

    As you mentioned in your email Ray it is somewhat cold here and the central heating and my thermals are being overworked.

    Dressed up fit for the weather yesterday and so was miffed when I had a puncture 3 miles out. Returned to a session on the exercise bike. Still taking things steady with the running- less than 3 miles again today- I won't belittle myself by giving you the time- suffice to say I have approximately 3.5 hrs more time after exercise during the day than some people I know. For the first time in my life I have set myself some running targets( modest ones) for improvement.I am just amazed that my knees have enabled me to start again without any treatment other than time and cycling.

    Chris and I enjoyed "The War Horse" a week ago- cinema full and quite enjoyed "Iron Lady"- full again but felt it kept moving back and forward in time too much and thus lost some momentum. BBC ran a two episode version of "Bird Song" which has been controversial. We arrived in after War Horse and couldn't face the first episode of Bird Song straight away- I can only take so much trench warfare. I have started Shardlake in "Heatstone"- Chris didn't seem to enjoy this as much as the earlier Sansom novels. 

    We are looking forward to Scotland v England on Saturday around the fireside and the other matches too. There will be several England players I have never seen before. I see Armitage has been excluded like Care on discipline grounds, Ray. Scotland in Murrayfield is always a difficult task for England-especially when England were going for Grand Slams. I note your comments Ray on England players- you are much better informed than me but no doubt I shall leap to conclusions after a few minutes on Saturday.


    This is the web site of the Coast to Coast ride which is approx 140  miles and usually done west to east with the prevailing wind. Should your friend want something longer one can do the round trip using the alternative Hadrians Way or Reivers route back which run north of the C2C. I have done the C2C twice, once by myself with Chris in car in less than 2 days and last year in just less than 3 days. The C2C booklet has lots of accommodation choices these days. I believe there are companies that will move kit around for you if you don't have back up. For a two day stint one would need a stop in the area of Penrith/Alston/Nenthead and for a three day trip say Keswick to Penrith area eg Threlkeld, say Stanhope for second night.

    The main walking coast to coast follows a different route- that one laid out by Alfred Wainwright and runs from St Bees Head- near the start of the C2C but then goes through the south of the Lakes, into the Dales and through the North Yorks Moors to Robin Hoods Bay. This is a 2 week walk ; I mention this as there is now a cycle route which follows close to this route which your friend my come across in his reading.

    Just been speaking to Brian Taylor who is coming round with Pat to join us for the England match- like us he is apprehensive about our chances.

    Good to hear you are having some good weather for your activities. Best wishes Jim and Chris


     

No comments:

Post a Comment