Saturday 4 February 2012

IIDD, Feb 4th

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

The Godmother of Rock & Roll: Sister Rosetta Tharpe


During the 40s, 50s and 60s Sister Rosetta Tharpe played a highly significant role in the creation of rock & roll, inspiring musicians like Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Little Richard and Chuck Berry. Her fans include Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan and Robert Plant to name a few.

She may not be a household name, but this flamboyant African-American gospel singing superstar, with her spectacular virtuosity on the newly electrified guitar, was one of the most influential popular musicians of the 20th century


Just got the most amazing performance review from my boss for my first 6 months!

We’re going to launch a new 2-hour morning talk show in September broadcasting from Universal Studios. In a meeting yesterday the show’s executive producer loved my ideas and emailed afterwards from his office asking for time to talk further in the near future.

Having so much adventure and fun with my new career…don’t tell Poppa though because he’ll put a pin in my dreams…ha ha ha Love you all!

Ayn Prince
Director, Programming
Crown Media Family Networks

Hello Tinsel Town et al!

Once again, sincere congratulations on your stellar six month review. Contrary to popular belief, I would never put a pin in your dreams, just a stiletto in your Valley Girl capitulations! We can hardly wait until you are hosting a show so that we can give out complimentary tickets to all our friends. The gift packages will continue rare Single Malt! That will certainly make the audience scream!!!

This past Wednesday enjoyed a more than gorgeous outing. Robo Ray and Whirlissimo met me at The Island Inn Patio at 10:10am, 5 minutes before the appointed time so I was not ready! (Giggage wanted to drop off a birthday card, from Tia, for Ragin' Bull, before ride proper.) Made our way to Science World where we hooked up with Marcus Aurelius, Big Al and his friend Chris. Of course, I couldn't stop to shake hands with Chris so just had to slap gloves as we rode past each other!

Had planned to circle Canada Place before proceeding over Lions Gate but Marcus' rear tire went flat not far from Lost lagoon so while he and Whirlygig set about repairing puncture, rest of us rode on to CP. We met up again, just past Rowing Club and continued around Seawall. Big Al and Chris left the peleton shortly after Brockton Point as they were meeting another friend at Kits Beach. Four of us waved goodbye and crossed the bridge. Wanted to show the lads the Spirit Trail which Ray and I had first ridden upon last Friday. This phase of the trail only goes as far as Pemberton Avenue so we followed West 1st Street, more or less, all the way to Lonsdale Quay and then on and over the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge back into Vancouver. I didn't find the ascent nearly as daunting as I had remembered it so was pleased about that, let me tell you!

Once over bridge, trail takes you past the Viterra Grain Terminal and just beyond these huge concrete silos/elevators, Marcus suffered his second flat. Unfortunately, the patch he'd affixed must have given way and then he managed to break off the nipple of the spare tube, trying to inflate it! (Found out that he had done the same earlier. At least that was what was reported to me as I couldn't possibly stop to help or chat!) Once supply of tubes was exhausted, we left him waiting for BCAA!

Below, in fact, is what transpired:

Hey George,

Ended up walking up to Hastings and catching a bus to Sperling where there's a bike shop I like. A very friendly bus driver gave me a free ride.

Paid the shop the $5 to replace the tube while I had coffee and soup at Pappagallos coffee shop across the street. Also got 2 extra tubes. The total bill including taxes was $22.40, and I got to do a crossword puzzle with my lunch. (: The bike mechanic pulled a little piece of glass out of the inside of the tube - lesson learned, I hope. I'm also thinking a person needs a flexible hose to connect the pump to the tube with these Presta valves - seems like it would reduce the stress on a vulnerable part... Wouldn't you agree, Al?

Total non-motorized travel: 39.218 km (including the stretch pushed up to the bus stop). 8^) cheers, Mark

My response:

Mark: Hearing about your experiences after we left you by Viterra Grain Terminal, makes me suspect that you finagled the second flat so hat you would have an excuse to stop for lunch! I assume you were pining for Ragin' Bull as you sipped your java and ladled your soup! Also, am puzzled about the odd distance: ".218" Is this the Burnaboid equivalent of ".33"! Furthermore, I have a tip regarding inflation process, passed along from Larcentor at Reckless! Cheers, Il Condutore!

We took Adanac back to Science World and I had 51K on the Deadly Odometer by the time we were at Harbour Terrace. Robo Ray peeled off to return home via Cypress and after I left Whirls on Point Grey and Macdonald, I made my lonely way out to UBC. Since I'd not been on that route for ages, I even enjoyed the UBC Hill! However, the shoulder on Marine Drive was really a mess. I suspect all the sand and grit that was put down during the week or so of snow we experienced, collected there after the snowbanks, which the plows created, melted. Bit like cycling through glacial moraine! Still, it was a pleasant ride and with a few dipsy-doodles, I pulled up in front of Economy Barbershop with 77.33K on the clock.

Funnily enough, Dino, the owner, and my barber, was away on holiday so I was shorn by Serafino, "Sam", a very friendly chap, originally from Sorrento, on the Amalfi Coast. Had never been to him before but I quite liked how he cut my hair and trimmed my beard. Think I'd rather have him in future but I can't imagine what Dino would think. Not a big deal but it's interesting how one paints oneself into these social corners.

Back home with 87.33K on the trusty odometre to have a quick shower and change and then to VPL to pick up Her majesty. She'd taken bus downtown earlier that afternoon, allowing her chauffeur the freedom to ride! Once I collected her we made for West Van, my second time over the Lions Gate, of course. We were having dinner with Julia and Ross, close friends. Kjell and Jane were invited so it was a lovely evening. J/R have a small cabin on Sydney Island where there is an over population of deer. Consequently, deer have been culled, under government supervision, for many years. We have enjoyed he venison which Ross has passed along, from time to time. I was secretly hoping that they would serve it for dinner when I learned of the invitation, and I was not disappointed.

It really is a delicious wild meat, at least in our experience, and sustainable to boot! (That would have made Whirlygig, [a rabid, quasi-vegetarian who only eats sustainably harvested fish, per esempio], happy!) They served it with green beans covered with almond slivers together with mashed turnip, so he and Kerry could have enjoyed part of meal. After dinner, repaired to their living room to chat in front of the fire and sip Bowmore. Before dinner, Wade Davis' name came up and Ross lent me One River. Looks fascinating.

"Richard Evans Schultes was arguably this century's foremost botanist. He was the father of ethnobotany, the study of indigenous peoples' knowledge and use of plants. He inadvertently inspired the 1960's drug culture with his scholarly writings on natural hallucinogens. When Japanese troops overran the world's rubber supply in Southeast Asia, Schultes, through his research on wild rubber trees in the Amazon, found himself central to the Allied war effort. Davis, one of Schultes's most devoted students, recounts the stories of his voyages along hundreds of miles of forested rivers, his near-fatal encounters with rapids and disease, his collaboration with Amazon shamans, and his dealings with people from the unsavoury to the sublime -- including a Nazi sympathiser, a heroically faithful native assistant, and the cult figures Timothy Leary and William Burroughs."

Might have to stop swimming, (Logged 3.5miles at the Aquatic Centre on Thursday so am very pleased as my form, such as it is, seems to be coming back, albeit slowly.), and riding so I have more time to read! However, Star Trooper Footness took the bus downtown on Friday so I was able to join Whirlygig and Robo Ray for a ride that morning. Whirlissimo and I rendezvoused with Raymundo at the sub-station on the corner of Maple and King Ed at 9:45am and proceeded, via Cypress, to Marine Drive. Just before we reached this main arterial thoroughfare, I noticed that Ray was lagging behind and we slowed to ask if he was fine. In fact, he wasn't. He felt that he should turn back and we asked if he'd like us to accompany him to make sure he made it safely home. He dismissed the preposterous idea, (Knowing his personality, I knew he would!), and we said goodbye, he to retrace the route back up Cypress, we to make our way to Iona over Arthur Laing.

Crossing the bridge, we remarked to one another how incredible the day was, drinking in the blue, blue sky, cloudless, the sun shining blindingly, its rays noticeably warm on our faces. Ride out to Iona was a delight, most pleasant in spite of the slight headwind. We passed quite a number of people standing beside their parked cars, "plane spotters", as the road to Iona Park runs parallel to one YVR runway, the nasty razor wire atop the recently installed new, higher security fence, glinting maliciously in the bright sunshine.

Once at the small parking which serves Iona Beach Park, Giorgio called Raymond on his cell and confirmed that he had made it back home with incident. He was lolling on his patio enjoying the sun, probably sipping a latte, for all we knew! He mentioned that he thought that he had forgotten to take his heart medication the night before and this oversight had caused an irregular heart rate. Pleased that our comrade-in-arms was in better spirits, we took off for Steveston, battling an even stronger crosswind until we left the airport behind and had crossed over the No. 2 Road Bridge.

Ride into Steveston was uneventful and we chatted amiably, stopping, a few blocks before the marina where Captain Barnacle had the Inside Passage in dry dock last year. I convinced Whirlygig to return via No. 6 Road, as opposed to the shorter Shell Road route, and we were both glad that we had made this choice.  Large, deep ditches bracket much of the length of the road and we came across three Blue Herons, two rising from the water at our approach, another watching us carefully as we cycled past. We had seen one, atop a log, in the middle of the small lagoon at Iona but these were much closer. I am always amazed at their remarkable, almost mind boggling wingspan. Quite a stirring sight to see them soar, effortlessly, as we huffed and puffed our way along.

Lots of heavy truck traffic once we passed Blundell Road so we put our heads down and concentrated on making it to Vulcan Way as quickly as possible. Once there, we had to make a slight dipsy-doodle, onto the sidewalk, around a traffic accident involving two semi-trailers. Not quite sure what happened but one tractor trailer, cab only, was squashed against the curb by the the trailer of the other vehicle. The responding Mountie had just pulled up and was asking one of the drivers: "Do you have anyone injured in your cab?", as we trundled past.

Made the base of the CSTB with 59K on the clock and once back on Vancouver side of the Mighty Fraser, Whirlygig made straight for Heather, not even giving me the chance to argue for Cambie! Pleasant ride uphill, glad that Robo Ray wasn't with us, half-wheeling us for the entire ascent! Dropped Giorgio off at 2nd and Macdonald and rode home, via Kits Point for 76.33K on the Deadly Odometre, pleased as punch!

Inside, Her Regalness was watching The Young and the Restless with Maggie upon her lap so I zapped a cup of java and answered a few messages before showering and changing. We were off to The Pitchforks for bridge, along with Rosita and Dusty. Arrived about 6:30pm and after greeting one another started to play. Since there were only six players, Champagne and O Susannah, had decided to play "speed bridge". North/South play against East/West and after one side makes game, North exits to be replaced by a new player, remaining spots shift clockwise. Loads of fun even though the cards were abominable, for everyone!

After first two games, we stopped play to enjoy a lovely dinner of green salad and lasagne. Champagne and Cora Lee shared their portions as she could not eat the wheat pasta and he didn't want any meat! A couple of kids fussing over their food!!! Back to the table for a few more games/rotations and then the distribution of prizes. No matter what your score, (Need I mention, Dear Reader, that I had highest point count, helped muchly by the 6 No Trump bid, with Dusty as partner, made on last hand. In fact, we managed a Grand Slam although we only bid a Small Slam. My mistake. I mistook Dusty's response of 6 Hearts, to my 5 No Trump, as meaning he held one ace, when in fact he had signalled two.), each visiting contestant, (an exercise in de-cluttering for hosts!),  received note pads, mouse pads, small stuffed toys, pens, coffee mugs and reusable shopping bags, all promotional materials from the Pitchford's travel business. best of all, the crowning touch, silk flower Leis!

Wonderful fun and games and enjoyed having dinner with Marnie, their daughter, and seeing Scott, their son, (he was out for dinner with friends), just before we left. Even managed to do a bit of travel business in between bridge hands as we ordered our 21 day rail passes for Japan. Had not decided, until fairly recently, what length of time we would purchase. Also put our request for travel insurance in motion. Thanking our gracious hosts we waved goodbye and made for home. Streets were quiet as it was 11:30pm so back at Harbour Terrace quite quickly once we figured out which direction we were supposed to travel! When we left Rosemont, Pitchford's street, I made a wrong turn and then, following Her Majesty's strident commands, we ended up heading into deepest, darkest Burnaby before we realized the error of her/our ways! Fortunately had brought along Garmin Goil as had not been to their place in sometime and was a tad unsure of just how to get there. Had thought I'd be fine on return leg but such was not the case. Nothing wrong with a bit of reconnoitering, day or night, I say! However, my passengers were not overly impressed or amused, I have to report, Dear Reader!

Still, safe and sound, at last, and into bed, after brushing and flossing, to read a couple more chapters of An Impartial Witness, helping Bess Crawford solve her latest murder. Fondests and Cheers, Patrizzio Chauffeur Extraordinaire!!!

Ayn P also commented on her link.
Ayn wrote: "I hope she throws her ice-pack at your head next time you're summoned to her Majesty's chambers"
                                                                    Kits
Hi Pat,
At Ross & Julia's you were talking about a bike ride possibly taking place today. Never came off? Kjell 
Am I totally off your radar? Would be good to know in htat case

Hi Kjell!

Sorry about misunderstanding regarding ride. I guess I thought that you would contact me if you were interested. I apologize if that was the case. When I hadn't heard from you I assumed you were otherwise engaged. Unfortunate as it was such as gorgeous day for riding as I'm sure was obvious. Am hoping to ride tomorrow and would like to ride to Seymour Demo Forest and beyond so let me know if you are interested.
Cheers, Patrizzio Chauffeur Extraordinaire!!!

Hello,

A brief report on latest goings on....

First a moment of remembrance to my parents, married on this day in 1946!  I'm grateful to them for many things, one of which was the "impractical" decision after college to head off to China and spend the next ten years still as a poor student!  And to my wife, who married me in spite of it!

After all these many times, I still make lots of mistakes.  Yesterday I went to drop in on Chingguo and Yenling and the kids.  There's a convenient bus to and fro, that takes about 45 minutes and costs 60 NT (US$2).  Since my last visit, the bus company joined the growing list of services that accepts a metro card - a swipe card that can add cash and is more convenient than fumbling around for change.  When I climbed aboard to return to Taipei after my visit, the reader would not accept my card -- the driver pointed to a sign (in Chinese) above the door:  "must swipe card both getting on and getting off" - I had failed to do so on the outbound trip, putting a temporary block on the card.  (I can read Chinese pretty well, but given all the confusing signs and notices on a typical public conveyance, I had failed to notice it.)  The driver explained that I would have to go to the main office ("the highway") to settle the problem, leading me to think, "If I had the wherewithal to get myself 'across the highway' (i.e., a car), I wouldn't be on a bus!"  To make matters worse, I did not have 60 NT in change, only 40 and some large bills, so a kindly gentleman gave me 20 NT (US 67 cents in change) with a look somewhere between welcoming and mild irritation.

But then I was stuck with the problem of an inactive card which still had 496 NT on it (about US$13).  So, yesterday, I stopped at a rapid transit ticket window to ask for help, and, after a longish explanation to the helpful attendant (including the detail of being aided by a friendly benefactor), she summed things up with the same information I had been given by the driver.  Consigned to pocket the card and buy another, she then chimed in, "but if you add 6 NT (US 20 cents) to make it 500, I can give you a brand new card."  I was happy about that (but thinking "well, why didn't you say so!"), though there was a negative consequence, which is that I lost the 100 NT that had been the deposit on the original card (the new card having only 400 NT of use).  So, my error ended up costing me a few dollars, but certainly beat taking the card to the head office of the bus company!  And it taught me to read the signage on busses (even last night I discovered that on some busses there is an illuminated sign that can be switched between "pay as you board, and pay as you depart," as well as "swipe both when ascending and when descending").

In fact I have been doing a great deal of walking, and have not had the occasion yet to take a taxi, just in order to get a feel for this part of the city, which is the general area where I plan to put up my visitors (near the magnificent Taipei 101) when you visit in April.  That's what I did after breakfast yesterday, which consisted of an egg pancake (蛋餅) and a bowl of hot soy milk ("egg pancake" is not a terribly good translation -- it is one layer of a flat round wheat-based flatjack, similar to a tortilla but thinner, with a fried egg on top, then rolled up and sliced as one would a sushi roll) - a pleasant breakfast costing 40 NT (less than a dollar).  (Funny how when traveling abroad even the simplest things, such as a sidewalk breakfast, take on a kind of exaggerated importance!)

But I did then indulge myself with a few hours in a Starbucks, with wi-fi and pleasant seats to begin to set pen to paper on my next book, quickly churning out a good 3 pages (1500 words) in a few hours, complete with end notes based on bibliographic information available on the internet.  So, it is launched!  My magnum opus, or, at any rate, the book I've been thinking about for the last 3-4 years, based largely on my lectures of the last 20.

Later in the day I met up with Max Farrell, an earnest, quirky young man a couple of years out of college, finding his way into "intellectual life" after graduating with a degree in studio art.  By "quirky" I mean that he is endearingly odd (with a touch of manic-depressive), illustrated for example by the fact that he showed up for our meeting wearing a bowtie and vest, and proceeded at one point to give me a long excursus on Heroditus and the Pelopenesian wars, with the announcement that his next project was to listen to 15 hours of on-line lectures on the age of the Spartans.  "Max," I said, "stop reading about the ancient Greeks and start studying Chinese.  Study Chinese 15 hours a day, eat drink and sleep Chinese, and put off Heroditus until you return to Sparta."  Max met this advice with an air of adoration akin to the disciples listening to Jesus, and now I'm a little worried that I may have sent him further into the labyrinth of his overly excited brain!  After our meal of snacks (燒麥 and other dumplings) -- the "best food" that Max "had ever eaten" -- and a couple pots of tea at a local tea store (the "most delicious tea" that Max "had ever tasted"), I visited Max's little room (rather depressing, and indeed Spartan) and left him with his excited look of determination and resolve to master Chinese culture in "however long it takes" - fearing that he might actually try to do it!

My next plan is to continue writing, but also to take advantage of the fact that I now have a week where I have no further responsibilities (having done all I can on my visa, now just waiting for my working papers) until meetings start next week and classes the week after -- by doing some modest exploring:  the rapid transit line now extends all the way to 新北頭, which has hot springs and seems like the perfect thing to do on a wintry day (by "wintry" I mean temps around 13 degrees C and overcast with rain off and on).  In fact, there are cheap accommodations there (found on the internet in blogs by fellow sojourners), and I may even opt to stay the night for 600 NT (about 20 dollars) just soaking and eating snacks.  Ruth and the kids should remember this well, though the local version here is not quite so opulent -- well, no where close -- but has a more rustic charm.  I'll go and find out!

But first, back to work on my introduction, which is progressing so well. Love to all,  Randy

Drippy and cold - good days to do some writing.  The book is tentatively titled, "Living Liberation:  Asian Spiritualities in Comparative Perspective" but I'm sure I (or my editor) will come up with something catchier.  The introduction, which I called "Orientations" (get the pun?) is half done in first draft.

Here's something fun to do in a new city - taking transport to the end of the line and see what's there.  Yesterday I took the rapid transit to 新北投 (about 45 minutes) and just followed my feet uphill -- a hike of about an hour that took me to a small Buddhist monastery called 金佛寺 (Gold Buddha Temple) - not a residential monastery but one used primarily for clients (i.e. worshippers) to conduct funerals, so it was quiet on a Thursday afternoon - no one around.  What was nice there was the magnificent view of the valley, including the town I had just walked up from and a vista of about three train stations down the line (10-15 kilometers?).  Returning I passed hot spring resorts (tempted to enter one, but would have required a bathing suit and cap, which I had not brought along) and made a mental note to return.  Also passed by a charming little museum (北投文物館 with the English name Taiwan Folk Arts Museum) and entered for 120 NT (about $4) -- a refurbished Japanese-era bath house and inn dating to 1927 featuring an audio tour (can select English, Chinese, or Japanese) of the building and a display of early century kimonos -- I was impressed by one display of the weaving and dying process and another of kimonos for children.  The quality of the collection was outstanding.  Even better, the museum features Japanese light lunches (set meals with charming names:  雅 - simplicity - 丹 -- cinnabar -- and so on), as well as occasional music performances and even lessons in chado (茶道 - Japanese tea ceremony) taught on an occasional basis by a 90-year-old instructor.  If you would like to learn more, go to www.folkartsm.org.tw.  A bit of traditional Japan in northern Taiwan!  Must return later, as the Japanese garden was closed for renovation of a neighboring hotel.

Odd things about "rudeness."  When eating with Max, I noticed one table of diners eating in their winter coats.  I mentally "laughed" at these "bumpkins" then noticed that most patrons at other tables were doing the same!  Then I looked at Max, and he was using his fingers as a third "chopstick" as he struggled with a dumpling.  "Max," I said (I find I can correct Max better than my own children - he is my lackey, disciple, entourage, and groupie), "don't ever touch your food with your hands."  I had noticed that others, including one of the men eating in his winter coat, were looking at him.  

Google has changed our lives in countless ways.  Here's one that has changed mine.  From my flat to my walking destination yesterday would have required three subway lines -- but by entering my origin and destination on google maps, I was directed to walk 5 minutes to such and such intersection and take bus 235 to the subway station on the Xin Beitou line.  This shaved at least half an hour and a lot of aggravation off my trip, and allowed me to explore more of my neighborhood on the way.  At the same time, the curse of Facebook and other social networks is evident in the behavior of young people here (in Mainland China, they are called 網民  "internet denizens") -- who are so addicted that they are on it everywhere, such as public conveyances (connectivity is far superior here -- a strong signal even underground), and while walking.  I am constantly exasperated trying to get past a young woman who is texting or surfing while walking along a narrow sidewalk).  My brother in law swore at one such "idiot" who was crossing the street at a snail's pace when he was trying to make a left turn, and made the comment, "I'm not sure if Steve Jobs' contribution to the world wasn't also a curse."

Another day of writing in store for me today, but I passed a pub in my neighborhood the other day that has live music on Friday nights, so I'm going to go and check it out this evening.  This is one of the virtues of real urban living, which I am looking forward to when we move to Dallas - walking to entertainment and restaurants.

I go to Tainan tomorrow, where I will have my more permanent quarters.

Thanks for indulging in my open source diary.

Hey Adrian (if you are still reading), I hate my laptop cause my cursor will "jump" to some other spot on the page while I am typing and so I am constantly having to delete and retype.  What is going on? Is there a way to disable the thumb pad or whatever you call it? Dad

Hi Tales of Taiwan Man!

Simply love your Open Source Taiwan Story! Keep 'em comin'! Sympathize with your cursor problem but at least you have a working laptop. Heard from Clarisse, a few days ago, that George, Cora Lee's brother, spilled a full cup of coffee on his laptop. (At least it wasn't a cappuccino!) Not much hope that it can be salvaged, however! On the other hand, your metro card "Catch 22" had me chortling! I could laugh at your predicament but I wasn't laughing a few weeks ago when en route to visit a friend near 4th and Alma. The start of my own "Catch 22", so to speak. This is apart of what I wrote at the time:

Just past the corner of Macdonald/4th I noticed two policemen on motorcycles, heading east and after I went through lights on Bayswater. But a block further along, flashing lights came on and I pulled over, completely blocking one lane as there were parked cars the length of the block. Had no idea what I was being stopped for as I certainly wasn't speeding and had not run any lights. When officer came to window it turned out to be a woman and I knew The Sisterhood was involved somehow! She informed me that my bike rack would prevent any infra-red cameras from taking a picture of my rear license plate and asked me for my driver's license. I asked her if she was going to give me a ticket and she said she was and left to return to her chopper to write me up.

All sorts of questions were popping up in my mind and by the time she returned I had decided I'd ask a few of them, trying to keep my frustration and annoyance under control. Before I had a chance to say anything, once she appeared at my window, she asked me to sign the ticket, (She specifically said that it was not an admission that I had committed an offense but merely a confirmation that she had issued the ticket so I decided I'd sign and see what she had to say.), and after I did so she would explain how I could contest it. All in all she was very polite and even joked that she was freezing on her bike while I was wearing shorts. I knew part of this was a way to jolly me a bit after being stopped in the first place and I also knew I wasn't going to get anywhere by being difficult. Nevertheless, I was a bit taken aback when I saw that the fine was for $196!

She probably saw he shock on my face and quickly outlined the fact that if I arranged a court date, (details on back of ticket), within next six months and presented a picture of vehicle without the bike rack, the ticket would be waived. Relieved as I was that there was an out I was still confused about a number of matters. If I had had a bike on rack would she have stopped me? If this was the case, how does this situation play out with infra-red cameras? Presumably, having a bike or bikes on rack would make it even less likely for the license plate to be captured. Logically this should mean that bike racks should be designed to ensure that the license plate is visible by both the naked eye and/or cameras under all circumstances, rack loaded or not. I didn't want to become embroiled in this debate so took the ticket and made for Jim's place.

Enjoyed a fairly lengthy, most pleasant visit with him, (He is doing very well, considering!), and he was as puzzled as I was about nature of ticket. Following day I phoned Rack Attack, where I bought rack in first place, and they had never heard of such ticketing. This being the case, it seems to me that some jurisdiction or body, ICBC, Ministry of Transportation or VPD, for example, should have issued some sort of notice in the media or perhaps through car registration and insurance renewal alerting those bike rack owners of possible contravention of traffic law. I know that I require car insurance to drive or I face a very stiff penalty. If I had known about visibility issue I would have taken steps to ensure that my license plate could be seen. To me it is beyond ridiculous that I have been driving with this rack since 2007 and all of a sudden I have committed a crime. When did infra-red cameras come into use? Have you ever seen or heard about bicycle racks being the focus of this attention? I have not. I know that ignorance of the law is no defense but how is one to know if the retailers providing such devices are not aware themselves?

Anyway, I plan to try to follow up over the next few days, starting with a visit to VPD, on bike! For the time being I haven't decided if I'll remove the rack or simply put the old bike I no longer use on it!

Still haven't resolved issue. Went to VPD building at foot of Cambie Bridge last Tuesday but only received a couple of telephone numbers to call about determining a permanent solution. Fondests and Cheers, Patrizzio Chauffeur Extraordinaire!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment