Tuesday 7 February 2012

IIDD, Feb 7th

Cheerfulness and contentment are great beautifiers and are famous preservers of youthful looks. -Charles Dickens, novelist (1812-1870) 

Hi Janet!

Trust you are well. I know this is short notice but would you like to play bridge this coming Wednesday, around 6:00pm? Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!



As much as I would love to play I am studying for a certification exam in ten days so I think I had better continue my cramming. However next time I'm there for you.  J


Pass on Bridge this Wednesday!



Hi Penguin!

Sorry that you are unable to make it. Understand of course, so Buona Fortuna with your exam! Probably won't see you until we are back at the beginning of June as we leave on March 5. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Have a fabulous trip. Make sure you drink lots of good wine! Oh, I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that! Bridge when you are back then...SAFE TRAVELS!
Janet


P,

Wednesday will not work for Kerry and the MT although they are grateful for
the invite.

By the by, Kerry asks: do you have a book on bridge that we could borrow?
Sarge alluded to one that he had.

I will bring something to compliment the feast as described. Not sure just
what, as yet. I have a couple lines in the water from the wharf. W






The next meeting will be this coming Saturday, 11th February, 2012. Need your feedback.

The next meeting will be this Saturday, 11th February, 2012 at the Island Inn. Start time and agenda to be confirmed.



Please let us know your preferences. There have been several plans put forward. Pat has kindly offered to host a potluck to include significant others and cling-ons. Is that of interest to you and yours? There have also been suggestions that we watch Apocalypse Now. Should we do that and if so when: before dinner (3: PM or) or after dinner.  Let us know if you are interested.  



The book is Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad). Milton may even make a final cameo appearance.

The book to follow the Conrad is Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia by Michael Korda. (Moe)

Misha will give us his pick to follow the Korda.  



Hello All,

At first blush I am ok with the meeting on Saturday.  And my preference would be to watch the movie first and then on to eats.  However I can defer to the masses.

The potluck idea works, and I will likely be able to bring a female companion with me as well.

So please keep me posted on the final details. Cheers,..Dave

I am fine with any plan. However, my wife will not be available. Cheers Mo


Hi Folks,

Great fun the other night. Corinne, we hope for a total and speedy recovery. Below are some outstanding items for your grand adventure.

JAPAN RAIL PASS

See below for pricing and comments re: difference between the Green and Ordinary Passes. Today`s exchange rate is $1 CAD = $76.9 JPY.


Ordinary Pass is like the economy class air ticket and Green Pass is like the business class air ticket. Special Green Cabins with wider seats and longer leg room are designated for green pass holders.  

The fares of Japan Rail Pass have not changed for a few years already. But the fluctuation of currency exchange could be dramatic.



TRAVEL INSURANCE

1. Corinne mentioned you have cancellation & interruption coverage for a certain # of days. You are gone from March 5 to May 31. Please advise what days you are covered and we could provide a cost to top up your current # of days covered.

2. Attached are the Travelguard medical questionnaires. Hope you can read them OK as I have no originals to send right now. Please complete and let us know what the points are and we can provide the quote.

Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks, Charlie

Pat,

    The T. Jefferson Parker novel is due on Friday as is The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler, so there won't be time to pass it along. Lars Kepler is a pseudonym for a couple! Working this morning at 10 so not able to ride. How is Corinne? Ray


Hi Ray!

Am enjoying The Jaguar and will have it back by Friday, if not earlier.

Unfortunately, Corinne is not any better, if anything, slightly worse! Her cold has not abated so that is not helping her deal with her foot which is, worryingly, not really responding to treatment. Extreme itching, stinging. On top of this the power in our building will be off form 9-3:00pm for maintenance work of some sort so she and Chloë will head to VPL for duration. Corinne will try to see our GP today as she thinks the foot is infected in spite of her surgeon's assertion that nasty rash in an allergic reaction.

Will be in touch later today. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Maggster!





 Hi Whirlage!

I would agree except "wastrel" is usually applied to The Brotherhood and sailing vessels are traditionally characterized as being female!

As you know, have to take Cora Lee back to MSJ's shortly. Unfortunately she isn't feeling any better, if anything, worse, as she feels she is coming down with a cold on top of everything else! Consequently I will be sitting in for her at bridge, just after noon, with Rosita so pretty sure I'm not on for a ride this morning. Cheers, Four No Trump Patrizzio!

P,

Good point. I think The Wastrella is a good compromise. W



Happy birthday...your music continues to provide thought, solace and peace

www.youtube.com
Bob Marley - No woman no cry - Live 1977 - HQ audio
P,

How is Corinne doing?

Hope you got out for a ride lasterday. I may have cursed the MT once or twice for keeping me homebound. Managed to replace a rear spoke myself – no small achievement for a ten thumb lummox.

I have a midday match today but hope to ride tomorrow before the rain sets in. Lemme know your plannage .W


Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

latimesblogs.latimes.com
A federal appeals court Tuesday struck down California's ban on same-sex marriage, clearing the way for the U.S. Supreme Court to rule on gay marriage as early as next year.

This is the best!

J.W. Calinger's photos


Taiwan Story 4


Adventures in Eating

Miranda, I have found the restaurant for you!  Have you heard of Mos Burger?  It's a fast food joint that looks like MacDonald's or Burger King, originating in Japan (check out the Wikipedia entree for the meaning of "Mos").  The first twist is the wonderful "bun" - a patty of rice making it a "pearl sandwich" (珍珠苞).  In addition to sliced meat burger, or a terrific seafood burger (with shrimp and squid), one option is vegetarian -- a great combination of mushrooms and fungii.  Mmmm, it's good!

Still a little hungry, and walking into a stiff breeze, I couldn't help but stop at a little stand by the sidewalk for a bowl of hot noodle soup, again in the Japanese style.  I went with seafood, and enjoyed shrimp, squid, cuttlefish, tofu, and fish balls, a local variation on Japanese udon soups.  What surprised me was that the broth was milky white; I should have asked about that, but the cook/chef/owner/cashier seemed in a hurry to close shop, at 9:30 closing time.

Working backwards, as these could have been counted as my third and fourth meals of the day, I had lunch at my "spot," the "Italian" cafe not ten steps from my building, with its pleasant atmosphere and trendy soundtrack of Buble and Manhattan Transfer, and ordered the (very Italian) curry beef with rice and another wonderful side salad, topped off by a hot milk tea that was made with a cappucino machine, complete with a sudsy cap.  Delicious!  I had my laptop, and spent an hour or two there writing.

Writing report:  contract calls for 80,000 words.  I am at 3,900.  At 5,000 a week, the book will be done in a semester.  I will keep you posted!
  
And finally to breakfast, another stop at a sidewalk stand for my "usual" egg-tortilla type thing.  For a twist, I ordered it with corn - sprinkled from a Green Giant can, it was actually quite good, though impossible to eat with decorum.  I also had coffee, bought separately at the 7-11 next door (7-11s in Taiwan are great; you can bank in them, pay your bills, buy train or theater tickets, and have latte's) - I've got a nice Japanese thermos that I splurged on (800 NT dollars, almost $30), but I've always wanted one.  It looks slick and keeps coffee hot for hours.

So, another day in paradise when it comes to eating.

And, another warm experience with the friendly way that Taiwanese treat foreigners:  I have noticed that I am moving steadily towards old age and senility in respect to 1) forgetting things and 2) misplacing things, and in this case it was my coin purse.  It's worth little if anything, but it's a soft leather pouch that was used by my mom (I can still see her taking it out of her purse when I was a child) and it's the only thing of my parents that I carry on my person.  I remembered using it on the high speed train (it rivals the Train à Grande Vitesse, and was made by the same Japanese manufacturer that does their Shinkansen -- Taiwan's system opened in 2007 -- the trip from Taipei to Tainan that used to take 4:50 now takes 1:45) when I bought a cup of tea, and discovered it missing from my pocket when I had reached the university two evenings ago.

I retraced my steps (involving a 30-minute shuttle train ride back to the High Speed Rail station) and spoke with the station help desk, showing my ticket, describing the purse and so on.  Next morning I got word that the purse had been located, and would I please return to the station for identification.  So I did that last night, and saw a photo of the purse on the computer screen turned for my inspection.  Overjoyed, I expected to be handed the purse, but it was back in Taipei and would be delivered after my identification. So I returned to the HSR station for a third time (I've gotten to know the little shuttle train quite well!) to pick it up this evening.  The young woman there was so pleasant, as was the officer who called me with the good news, and I just couldn't help but be grateful to be sojourning in such an honest, efficient, and friendly place.  Of course the sentimental value of the purse was not lost on the train service crew, and I practically expect the story to appear in tomorrow's paper!

One more note on efficiency before I go:  though Taiwan is not without its unpleasant aspects (the drab five-story citiscapes, the almost impassable sidewalks, the traffic noise, the coming sticky weather), there is a pride in public technology.  How about this nice touch:  when waiting for a bus in the city, one can see on an electronic board all of the buses on the route, their present location, and their estimated time of arrival at the stop.  Takes the "guessing" out of waiting!  Even the old Japanese-era train station at Tainan, with its endearing tunnels under the tracks, its old-fashioned benches and canopies, has now been retrofitted with LED signage showing the latest information on arrival and departure times, schedule changes, and so on.  Even my Taipei rapid transit card (easy access card) works at the Tainan turnstiles.

It's gotten blustery cold, but at 14 degrees C it is nothing like the icy weather in Europe at present.  This is a bit chilly, but that's horrible.
Randall Nadeau

Hi Taiwan Tale Teller et al!

More wonderful stories indeed! Unfortunately, on the Home Front, have to report that Cora Lee's foot has taken a nasty turn for the worse. She had a physio session on Saturday and her foot started to itch on Sunday evening. By Monday morning it was puffy and covered with an alarming rash. I took her to MSJ's where her surgeon saw her and prescribed some cortisone cream. He didn't think it was infected so that was some relief. Just an allergic reaction to the oil physio had used, we think! However, to make matters worse she came down with a horrible cold/cough on top of everything else! Consequently I had to sit in for her at bridge, just after noon, with Rosita. Close friend, Mary Vickers, came to collect us for a fund raiser, (Stephen Lewis Foundation, Grandmothers Campaign, which supports community-based organizations working with HIV/AIDS sufferers in 15 African countries), at St Mary's in Kerrisdale. The Royal Chauffeur was to be seconded in Her Majesty's place as Mary Queen of Scotch was unable to find another player of such calibre on such short notice!

Quite pleasant afternoon. Only on other male there so we were literally surrounded by The Sisterhood! Once again, (as per last Friday's evening of bridge with Pitchforks),cards were poor for everyone but it was still a lot of fun. Helen, close friend of Mary's, was fourth. Only hand I really had was a pre-emptive 3 Club bid. I had Ace, King, Queen and five others. Really had more points than a usual three bid and I was so bored with passing all the time I bid 5 Clubs. Clarisse had the Ace and three others! Our hands fit extraordinarily well and I ended up making a Grand Slam, though unbid of course.

Cora Lee felt even worse on Tuesday morning so our GP's receptionist was able to squeeze her in just before 10:00am. Her Royal Majesty is now on steroids and her foot seems to be responding, if slowly. Rash is not as itchy or as raised. Still worrying and uncomfortable, needless to say.

Tuesday evening I curl with Flamin' and Sarge. Sarge was away in Ottawa so Flamin' was Skip and another lad, Luke, played Second. We played Team Sullivan and they were out for blood as we beat them first time around. Stole one in each of 1st and 2nd ends. Third was a fiasco, a veritable catastrophe and they scored 5! Doing well in the 4th when Hamish, (Third), burned my second shot. A bit later on he stopped a rock that was clearly going out of the house and opposition insisted it wasn't so we had to replace it. Fluke shot by their Third buried his rock for shot. Flamin' was trying to outdraw on her last stone but tipped one of their guards and they counted two! Down 7/2 we eked out one in fifth and then stole two in 6th. Had plenty of time for another end and we exerted a fair bit of pressure to have three stones in house, 1st and 3rd, with two of our guards stacked together, securing our position. On Hamish's first rock Flamin'decided to remove our guards to have a chance to play their single in the house. Wouldn't you know it, he missed the guards but chipped out their stone!

Can't remember exactly what happened over next few shots but one of our stones just nudged the 12' at the top of the house, only counter, with just Skips left to throw. Flamin' put her first in the house to have it taken out. Consequently, on Flamin's last shot she had to draw to go for a tie, at the very best, a loss, of course, if other skip outdraws or takes out a counter. Everyone held their breath as final rock came down the ice. I thought it was heavy and we were fine but it decelerated considerably but slow as molasses it kept coming, finally across the T-line, inching its way through the house, almost touching our back counter, to have Hamish sweep it out!

On paper, probably should have won but coming back from 7/2 and not really working together, (Hamish really gets cranky when he is losing! Remind you of anyone on the doubles court?), we were more than happy to salvage a tie. Not quite sure what this means to standings as were were in first place. Depends on results for those teams chasing us!

Went for a short ride on Wednesday morning with Whirlygig. Raymondo said it was too wet. Not really, as it turned out. Giorgio picked me up at 10:00am and we made our way around Seawall to Stanley Park. Seawall was closed just after spot where we normally peel off to go on road. I wanted to do and up-and-over LG but Whirlissimo was whining about soggy shoes and being soaked, (It really was not raining, more a light drizzle, by then, if anything at all.), so we just made for Prospect Point and back home. I accompanied him to past Kits Pool and then a few dipsy-doodles later, around Kits Point, and I was home with 52.33K on the clock.

That evening we had dinner here with two tables of bridge. Mr Fixit, Wayne Connors, a very close friend of the Sutherlands, is here from St John's to remodel the ensuite bathroom and ski for a week or so, at Whistler. He is a tremendous player and wonderful teacher so it is a pleasure to play with or against him. Whirlygig, Ragin' and Kid Chelene made up rest of players along with Sarge/Clara/Dusty. Cora Lee played a few hands until Ragin' arrived. He is taking Spanish lessons and is quite enjoying them.

Have to sign off now as I'm up at 5:30am tomorrow to take Clara and Dusty to YVR. They are flying to Orlando to meet George and Barb, their son/daughter-in-law, for a Caribbean cruise. Interestingly enough, it is on the same vessel, Norwegian Sun, that we, (Flamin'/Sarge, Grog/Lurchesca), sailed on when we went around The Horn in 2008. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Bridge on Monday with unbelievable desserts! The Royal Foot!


Patrick, please pass this on to Dusty & Clara, Quick before they leave on their cruise.


If anyone is interested let me know. There is no test, just information and they would like 15 people or more. I thought it might be something the Seniors would be interested in. Eva
Hi Eva!

I've passed along both your messages. Clara said they'd phone you upon return. I think they believe that the Mature Drivers Course is a good idea. Clara said thanks for warning but she doesn't take any of the items listed due to her high blood pressure.

How is your weather? Close friend of ours, Penny, who lives in North London, was over in Toronto for two weeks, to celebrate Robbie Burns Day with a good friend she made while living there in '70's. At any rate, she came home to discover more snow than she's had in Canada!
Have to sign off now as I'm up at 5:30am tomorrow to take Clara and Dusty to YVR. As you probably know they are flying to Orlando to meet George and Barb for a Caribbean cruise! Interestingly enough, it is on the same vessel, Norwegian Sun, that we, (together with friends, Flamin'/Sarge, Grog/Lurchesca), sailed on when we went around The Horn in 2008. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick


Got back from Toronto last Tuesday night only to find London colder and more snowy than Canada!  Am enclosing a couple of pics taken outside my house last Sunday - no snow today but they are forecasting the coldest night of the year tonight! Had a great trip but found some of my friends rather bossy and controlling!  

I have left FW Gapp and started a part time job with LHH in Kensington.  They originally wanted me to do Monday and Thursday on their block management side but now want me to go in as much as possible over the next 2 months to cover sick and holiday leave on both lettings and block mgmt.  The journey is not good but the people are lovely.  Job a bit boring though!

Not sure if I told you I am going to Barcelona on 27th March for 5 nights with my friend Joan.  I used up my airmiles and today we booked our accommodation.  Not sure I've done the right thing as I was persuaded to use Priceline by friends in Toronto.  You put in the max amount you want to pay and the area of the city, then wait to see what has been found.  They came up with a 4 star hotel which I have been charged for, no cancellations or changes and then I found it was the same price on line anyway!  Then, having read Trip Advisor, it's not that brilliant either!!  Oh well, you live and learn.

Do you want me to keep your Laphroaig invoice?  When I was in the open all hours shop in the Broadway today, I noticed Laphroaig on sale for £36 which is about the same as the one you bought.  Not sure if it was triple wood though.  Had today off work so went to swimming lesson with Max, then played badminton and table tennis, saw Joan to book accommodation and have answered emails and made calls ever since...........

Must be off now.  Do hope all your family well.   All the best - love Penny xx

Hello Duhlink!

Glad you made it home safely to The North Pole! What wonderful snaps of Mad Max and the Snowman and his adoring Aunt and Grandmother! Pleased work is enjoyable if a bit of a commute. Barcelona sounds more than terrific in spite of Priceline! I celebrated my fourth birthday there in 1951. We were coming back from leave in Canada and our ship docked there before heading on to Alexandria. Mom went to visit Pyramids and the Sphinx and rode on a camel, (Still have the picture of her atop the "ship of the desert". The saddle bag had "Canada Dry" emblazoned upon it!), while Dad stayed aboard to look after me. I can remember being quite upset when she climbed into a large, convertible touring car, on the wharf beside the ship, with a couple my parents had met socially while on the crossing. Would she ever return? Turned out that they were very wealthy. He was the "MacMillan" in Macmillan Bloedel. From Wikipedia: "MacMillan Bloedel Limited, sometimes referred to as "MacBlo", was a Canadian forestry company headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia. It was formed through the merger of three smaller forestry companies in 1951 and 1959. Those were the Powell River Company, the Bloedel Stewart Welch Company, and the H.R. MacMillan Company." Mom reported that they picked up the tab for the day's outing. Lives of the Rich and Famous!

You keep the receipt for the Laphroaig and I'll keep the malt! I hope it is the triple wood but who knows. Give you a good excuse to sample the product, I'm sorry to say! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat and I plan to get out mid morning tomorrow. The tentative plan was to circle Stanley Park over and back on the LG bridge and return. About 2 hours.

Let us know if you can join us. 

Hi Guys, I would love to but I have pass as I have a few things I need to do. Have a great ride!
 

George,
    I'm up for that weather permitting. We should talk in the morning. Ray

Ray,

Please call when it convenient. I am prepared to ride as long as it is not ‘pounding’ rain. W


Have a fabulous trip. Make sure you drink lots of good wine! Oh, I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that! Bridge when you are back then...SAFE TRAVELS! Janet

Hi Penguin!

Hope your studying goes well. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Champagne!

Thanks for latest info. Sorry about delay in replying BUT, unfortunately, on the Home Front, have to report that Cora Lee's foot has taken a nasty turn for the worse. I don't wish to be alarmist but I've already broached topic of whether we should travel or not! More shortly/later as things evolve!) Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment