Thursday 2 February 2012

IIDD, Feb 2nd, Groundhog Day!

Mistakes are part of the dues that one pays for a full life. -Sophia Loren, actress (b. 1934) 


We are looking for Volunteers for the skins tournament Are you and/or Corrine interested?

Hi Sarge!

At the moment, we both are undecided. If you need a commitment right away, I suppose I'll have to decline. Can't speak for Cora Lee. As tourney is just before we leave, I need to make sure I have all the things I need to do beforehand, taken care of. Primarily, income tax. As long as that is finished or at least to the point where I know if any tax is due that may well allow me to volunteer. What number of hours/shifts would volunteering entail? This would also figure into equation. Anyway, we can chat about this after you return from curling. Cheers, Patrizzio!




Hey George,

Ended up walking up to Hastings and catching a bus to Sperling where there's a bike shop I like. A very friendly bus driver gave me a free ride.
Paid the shop the $5 to replace the tube while I had coffee and soup at Pappagallos coffee shop across the street. Also got 2 extra tubes. The total bill including taxes was $22.40, and I got to do a crossword puzzle with my lunch. (:  The bike mechanic pulled a little piece of glass out of the inside of the tube - lesson learned, I hope. I'm also thinking a person needs a flexible hose to connect the pump to the tube with these Presta valves - seems like it would reduce the stress on a vulnerable part... Wouldn't you agree, Al?

Total non-motorized travel: 39.218 km (including the stretch pushed up to the bus stop). 8^) cheers, Mark

Hi Mark,


I certainly would agree!. I’m sorry this happened to you Mark but I have to admit I feel a little better knowing that I’m not the only one this has happened to now.

Where did you go flat again? on the North shore?.


On another note I’m wondering if you’ve made any progress on the community garden project? With spring around the corner I’d really like to get this chestnut tree moved. Thanks, Al


George and Pat,

    Anybody up for a ride tomorrow? If so, how about heading south - either Queensborough Bridge and River Road, or Iona, or Steveston? 9:30 to 9:45 start? Ray


Ray,

I am in. Let me know when and where. G


Hi Lads!

I'm certainly in for a ride tomorrow. I'd like to head out to Iona and then Steveston, rather than New West, unless we go via Central Valley Greenway and then over Queensborough and back along River Road to CSTB, then Cambie as opposed to Heather!!! If Burnaboids are interested we could rendezvous somewhere along CVG. Interested riders, let group know your thoughts about route/times. I'm able to go, pretty well anytime to make connections, etc.

Mark: Hearing about your experiences after we left you by Viterra Grain Terminal, makes me suspect that you finagled the second flat so hat you would have an excuse to stop for lunch! I assume you were pining for Ragin' Bull as you sipped your java and ladled your soup! Also, am puzzled about the odd distance: ".218" Is this the Burnaboid equivalent of ".33"! Furthermore, I have a tip regarding inflation process, passed along from Larcentor at Reckless! Cheers, Il Condutore!



Gents,
How about the Vancouver crew meet at 9:45 at the sub-station at Maple
and King Ed. to rendezvous with Al and Mark (if available) about 45 minutes
later at a point of their choice? I'm happy with your chosen route, Pat. Ray



Hi Lads!

We'll, (Whirlygig and I), rendezvous at Maple and King Ed at 9:45am, with Robo Ray. If Marcus Aurealius wishes to meet us at Cambie Sky Train Bridge at 10:30am, well and good. If we don't hear from him, (Big Al can't make it, unfortunately), rest of us will simply head for Iona over Arthur Laing. Cheers, Il Conduttore!



Sprocketeers!

It is with great regret that I must decline tomorrow's ride. I have an engagement on the Court of Squash - my first in over 6 months as my achilles has been a real pain in the heel. Tomorrow, marks the return of the Dream Team (a dream to some, a nightmare to others) - Yes, Toro Rabioso and Juan de Balaclava will take on the Pumpkin Eater and the Ripper at High Noon (eat your heart out Gary Cooper).

I know you are all thinking, "How can I be part of this event?". Well fortuitously, good seats are still available, and should any of you wish to bring your notebooks to this momentous event, I can get you a special "club" price. If you opt out for cycling and putting up with Conductoré and the Deathly Odometer, … well, ¿que puedo decir?

See you next time. Viva cycling as the weather improves! más andelate bjp



Hello Toro Rabioso!

Buona Fortuna with your return to the court!  we missed you this past Wednesday as it was a gorgeous outing. Robo Ray and Whirlissimo met me at The Island Inn Patio at 10:10am, 5 minutes befoer the appointed time so I was not ready! (Giggage dropped off a birthday card for you from Tia so it is here waiting.) Made our way to Science World where we hooked up with Marcus Aurelius, Big Molly and his friend Chris. Of course, I couldn't stop to shake hands with Chris so just had to slap gloves as we rode past each other!

Had planned to circle Canada Place before proceeding over Lions Gate but Marcus' rear tire went flat not far from Lost lagoon so while he and Whirlygig set about repairing puncture, rest of us rode on to CP. We met up again, just past Rowing Club and continued around Seawall. Big Al and Chris left the peleton shortly after Brockton Point as they were meeting another friend at Kits Beach. Four of us waved goodbye and crossed the bridge. Wanted to show the lads the Spirit Trail which Ray and I had first ridden upon last Friday. This phase of the trail only goes as far as Pemberton Avenue so we followed West 1st Street, more or less, all the way to Lonsdale Quay and then on and over the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge back into Vancouver. I didn't find the ascent nearly as daunting as I had remembered it so was pleased about that, let me tell you!

Once over bridge, trail takes you past the Viterra Grain Terminal and just beyond these huge concrete silos/elevators, Marcus suffered his second flat. Unfortunately, the patch he'd affixed must have given way and then he managed to break off the nipple of the spare tube, trying to inflate it! (Found out that he had done the same earlier. At least that was what was reported to me as I couldn't possibly stop to help or chat!) Once supply of tubes was exhausted, we left him waiting for BCAA!

We took Adanac back to Science World and I had 51K on the Deadly Odometer by the time we were at Harbour Terrace. Robo Ray peeled off to return home via Cypress and after I left Whirls on Point Grey and Macdonald, I made my lonely way out to UBC...Might have to stop swimming, (Logged 3.5 miles at the Aquatic Centre today so am very pleased as my form, such as it is, seems to be coming back, albeit slowly.), and riding so I have more time to read!

On another matter, would you have a moment, some time this weekend, to pop over to Imre's apartment with me? He has a new TV and sound seems to be giving him trouble. I'm wondering if you might be able to take a look at set/situation and see if there is anything that can be done. Give me a call, after your victory, and we can chat and I'll tell you what I know. Thanks and Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 

See you and Ray at Maple and King Ed at 9:45 -- unless there is a change to
the plan.



Please see New Address as follows:

650 Mount Pleasant Rd. Suite 313
Toronto, ON. M4S 2N5
Canada

All other Coordinates remain the same. Best regards Andy and Marge Henke 


P,

We need an enforced reading retirement from retirement. The Sisterhood would surely buy into the bondage idea – shackled to a book. And new business opportunity – book shackles.

Wade Davis continues to be the thread these days. I just bought his latest book the Sacred Headwaters and it is a stunning collection of photographs, brilliantly produced and the story of resistance by the Taltan people is awe inspiring -- although their fight to save the Sacred Headwaters has only begun. I read the text in one sitting. I have passed through this country on the way to and from Yukon and have always loved the country.

Believe it or not the NRBC read (that might be an overstatement) a Wade Davis (Serpent and the Rainbow maybe) many years ago about his own journeys to the Amazon.

Having grown up in a time and place where wild meat was legal tender, I can say I have tasted a few species -- indigenous to our boreal forests. It has been 40 years since I ate meat but I must confess that wild meat was always a favourite of mine. If the consensus was that it was a bit gamey, it was the highest recommendation to me.  

Conversation to be continued at exactly 9:45.33 at the substation.W



P,

The words seem particularity apt this week for those of us with the naming disorder. Dickens may have been the first to suffer this malady – or is it genius? W




Hi Whirlissimo!

I have found the "Dickensian naming disorder" as you so charmingly put it, of much interest, obviously. However, I disagree with your diagnosis, my dear friend, for it is not a malady! How could it be when we are both "visited", (to a lesser degree, perhaps, than Charles), with such inspiration. 'Tis genius, pure genius, me lad and never doubt it, no matter what The Sisterhood say!

After I left you, I made my lonely way out to UBC. Since I'd not been on that route for ages, I even enjoyed the UBC Hill! However, the shoulder on Marine Drive was really a mess. I suspect all the sand and grit that was put down during the week or so of snow we experienced, collected there after the snowbanks, which the plows created, melted. Bit like cycling through glacial moraine! Still, it was a pleasant ride and with a few dipsy-doodles, I pulled up in front of Economy Barbershop with 77.33K on the clock.

Funnily enough, Dino, the owner, and my barber, was away on holiday so I was shorn by Serafino, "Sam", a very friendly chap, originally from Sorrento, on the Amalfi Coast. Had never been to him before but I quite liked how he cut my hair and trimmed my beard. Think I'd rather have him in future but I can't imagine what Dino would think. Not a big deal but it's interesting how one paints oneself into these social corners.

Back home with 87.33K on the trusty odometre to have a quick shower and change and then to VPL to pick up Cora Lee. She'd taken bus downtown earlier that afternoon, allowing her chauffeur the freedom to ride! Once I collected her we made for West Van, my second time over the Lions Gate, of course. We were having dinner with Julia and Ross, close friends. Kjell and Jane were invited so it was a lovely evening. J/R have a small cabin on Sydney Island where there is an over population of deer. Consequently, deer have been culled, under government supervision, for many years. We have enjoyed he venison which Ross has passed along, from time to time. I was secretly hoping that they would serve it for dinner when I learned of the invitation, and I was not disappointed. 

It really is a delicious wild meat, at least in our experience, and sustainable to boot! (That should make you happy!) They served it with green beans covered with almond slivers together with mashed turnip, so you could have enjoyed part of meal. After dinner, repaired to their living room to chat in front of the fire and sip Bowmore. Before dinner, Wade Davis' name came up and Ross lent me One River. Looks fascinating.

"Richard Evans Schultes was arguably this century's foremost botanist. He was the father of ethnobotany, the study of indigenous peoples' knowledge and use of plants. He inadvertently inspired the 1960's drug culture with his scholarly writings on natural hallucinogens. When Japanese troops overran the world's rubber supply in Southeast Asia, Schultes, through his research on wild rubber trees in the Amazon, found himself central to the Allied war effort. Davis, one of Schultes's most devoted students, recounts the stories of his voyages along hundreds of miles of forested rivers, his near-fatal encounters with rapids and disease, his collaboration with Amazon shamans, and his dealings with people from the unsavoury to the sublime -- including a Nazi sympathiser, a heroically faithful native assistant, and the cult figures Timothy Leary and William Burroughs."




Might have to stop swimming and riding so I have more time to read! See you at 9:45:33am domani! Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 







Scrooge facing Marley's Ghost

Illustration: John Leech (1817-1864)





shame on the Susan G Komen Foundation for placing religious right before the health of women...Planned Parenthood does far more service beyond a woman's right to choose
Patrick James Dunn Shame on the People of SGKF indeed!



in the last 48 hours Planned Parenthood has received more than 400,000 in donations while the Susan G Komen has received notice from several supporting groups announcing the withdrawal of their future donations...sadly breast cancer research efforts will now suffer in the aftermath of all of this...a lose-lose for all


www.theatlantic.com
Sources with knowledge of the Koman process said recent policies were adopted specifically to cut funding for Planned Parenthood.

    • Jonathan Harmon In wake of Komen defunding, NYC's Mayor Bloomberg to give $250,000 of his own money to Planned Parenthood - NYTimes'

Happy Groundhog Day!

  • Ontario’s Wiarton Willie failed to see his shadow — meaning, according to tradition, an early spring is on its way
  • Nova Scotia’s Shubenacadie Sam also says winter is ending soon
  • Alberta’s Balzac Billy saw his shadow, which means six more weeks of winter
  • Quebec’s Fred la Marmotte saw his too
  • Punxsutawney Phil also saw his shadow — and an extended winter.
  • Which dang varmint are we to trust? 

No comments:

Post a Comment