Friday 22 July 2011

IIDD, July 22nd

Latest from Wetherby:

Pat,

Please pass along my day late birthday greetings to Corinne. Glad you all had such a pleasant evening at the 'Edible'. Regards to George also.


Weather a bit iffy yesterday so we decided to visit my cousins in my birthplace, Easington Colliery. The Skoda performed well on the motorways and we managed to cruise along at 80 mph for some of the journey arriving at our destination in under an hour and a half, slowed somewhat by a convoy of tanks - must have been a few dozen of them all recently appearing to have been in battle in Afghanistan. The Yorkshire Regiment is out there again soon.
The area I grew up in is especially rough and my introduction to the street of one of my cousins was a garbage truck jammed in against a telegraph pole in the narrowest of streets and in trying to extricate itself rocked the pole quite severely. There were nine of us at my cousin, Lotties and they put on a fabulous spread of food typical of the area- hams, salmon, eggs, corn beef pie, quiches, beets etc with a variety of pies including apple, rhubarb, and some sort of spice cake. Tried to restrain myself the best I could. Conversation flowed for several hours until we had to retreat as we had a dinner invitation in the town eight miles down the road. Too much food over the day but very pleasant nevertheless.
Not surprised that Jim is managing the riding OK. He was a very good amateur soccer player and even better at rugby. He also participated in track events and was noted for his high fitness levels.
Spent the day in and around this very historic town. Walked along the River Wharfe this morning. It was market day and we also discovered several promising looking butchers and bakeries. Purchased lemon tarts which made for a very nice dessert. In the afternoon,we did two hours on the bike some of it chatting with a couple of walking enthusiasts who gave us several ideas for day outings. Cycled past the Wetherby horse racing track and through some very pleasant countryside, all off road. Surprised at the volume of traffic at 4pm as we returned.


Heading to Stoke (the Potteries) on Sunday to visit an old friend who had a severe stroke some years ago. There will be three of us driving there while Sylvia and the wives of my friends are visiting Castle Howard, near York. Another friend is intending to meet with us after a 24 hour cycle event. Last year he did 478 miles in the allotted 24 hours. Mick has done Land's End to John O'Groats on six occasions.
Jenny is off to the Algarve tomorrow and will join us with a friend next weekend.
Hoping to get some weather so a trip to the coast will be more enjoyable.
 

Will try and attach another picture. Ray

Hi Pat

Just arrived back from a great visit to Victoria where the weather defied your forecasters- just like ours does. Sunny and reasonably warm all the time. We enjoyed the crossing too with the island views. I walked along the shore to  the West Bay Marina and back while Chris shopped after we had visited the Museum which we thought was excellent. The atmosphere round the Inner Harbour was outstanding and lots of fun to be had watching the buskers.

After hearing about your feast( indulgence) I understand how you are attempting to balance this with your commitment to cycling- I intend to maintain moderation in all things as usual despite Tuesday's effort.

Sorry I didn't manage to contact Irene as we only stayed the one night. Now we are nearing the end of our holiday I intend to ring or contact one or two old acquaintances and wondered if you could tell me where Stella's business is located in  Granville Island please. 

We hope to get to Whistler for a one or two day trip next week and perhaps kayak in Deep Cove and apart from that I am looking forward to repeating some of our holiday moments such as cycling round False Creek and Stanley Park and some of the Pacific Spirit tracks. We shall probably seek out some of the grazing stops we have enjoyed too.

Tuesday at say 6.30pm would be a good time for us to host you both if you are available- we hope so. 

We would be delighted to go and see Imre again - I need to do some research to keep the dialogue going maybe. What is the latest on him?

Speak to you shortly.

Jim
 
Morning Pat

We are trying to get organised this morning as ideally we would like to have something to eat over the week-end.

Sorry there are no discounts on visits to Hartlepool as Canadians already have the advantage of an outrageous exchange rate. Donations are always very welcome there. Although people  there complain about the cold wind from Russia via  the North Sea the prevailing wind is from the west so it probably originates in the Canadian prairies. Unfortunately Hartlepool doesn't get the advantage in summer.

I am trying to find out how to pay my fine as BC clearly also needs refinancing. I would have thought a few more duties on purchases of Scotch  by residents would have been a solution more acceptable to  innocent tourists.

Is a ride this afternoon of interest to you- say after 2.30? Christine says you need to be more gentle with me!

Chris wants to have a ride with me tomorrow so I can look forward to a graze then and will forfeit one today.

I take it you would advise against our trying Whistler on a weekend? 

Thanks for the info on Stella- I may or may not ring her ex husband with whom I played rugby.

Bye
Jim



On 22 July 2011 10:47, Patrick Dunn <pdunn@interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:
Hi Jim!

Really enjoyed video! Thanks. We'd like to book next year's holiday in Hartlepool. Is theer a huge discount for booking early?

Yesterday morning, while you were still in Victoria, I presume, Chloƫ woke up at 5:30am to find three young, tiny racoons crying and chattering to each other outside her window, whimpering and hopping from patio chair to patio chair, clambering on storage unit in stair well outside her door until collected by a huge adult, presumably their annoyed Mom! Of course, both Chloƫ and Cora Lee are worried that Maggie will be carried off by one of the many raccoons that frequent our area. Apparently two adults dragged off someone's Siamese a few days ago! Not quite sure where in city. Torn corpse was found later, I gather. For my part, I encourage Maggie to go out and do battle. This approach causes howls and shrieks of disapproval, needless to say!

Giorgio can't ride today. I'm wondering if you are up for a little jaunt. I'm going to call you after sending a few more messages and if it works, fine. Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Brenda Louise!

Funnily enough we watched the MI-5 episode I think you were referring to last night! I agree, Sir Harry looks much younger. I assume it is an episode from the start of the program, whenever that was. The characters, the look and feel of the show, quite different to more recent screenings. Almost a Time Machine journey! Enjoyed it muchly, nevertheless. Don't Know Game of Thrones and can barely keep up with Masterpiece Theatre, New Tricks and MI-5, let alone any new programs!

Hi Big Al!

Welcome home! Sounded like quite a cocktail of drugs the chap you dealt with was knocking back!!!

For my part, needed a few days away from all the hootch we have been enjoying with friends, Nancy and David, visiting from Berkeley over last few weeks! Had a great ride with Whirlygig, out to UBC and around Marine Drive/Imperial Loop today. Started at noon as he had a number of commitments. Saw lots of action at the Shaughnessy Golf Course with the Canadian Open in full swing, so to speak. (I was going to attend for a few hours tomorrow, after Sarge finished his volunteer shift at noon but as things have turned out, Per and Kerstin, (Kerstin is our friend Kjell's sister, Per her boyfriend), golfers and visitors from Sweden, would like to go. I'm not fussed about not attending so offered my pass to them. This way they need only buy one ticket for $80 and will make their way to The Island Inn, after watching play for most of day, to be part of Malt Tasting tomorrow evening.) We followed one of our regular routes and then made for home. I dropped Whirlygig off at his place and then proceeded to RBC on Broadway/MacDonald for cash, then to Broadway Joe, (actually Diane Bird now, but was Joe Fast when we first moved to Vancouver!), my dentist to pay a bill, then to Young Brother's for some fruit/vegetables/milk and then to Minerva's, Greek Deli, for olivettiis and cheese for Jugos Dom Pedro's contribution to food menu for malt tasting, then on to Kinkos to print out place mats for tasting and then home. Had logged 51K when I stopped at bank and was up to 55K by time I was at Harbour Terrace.

Californians left yesterday but Nancy forgot her phone adapter so will pop that in mail domani and then plan to ride with Whirlygig again, earlier in morning and then be home, (now that I'm not attending golf tourney), in plenty of time to set up for tasting. Have already laid out mats on table and almost perfect seating arrangement for "official" malt tasters. Will only need to steal a few chairs from The Annexe but otherwise have almost enough seating. Just have to worry about filling 144 glasses once all the bottles arrive!!

Cheers, Patrizio!


Words of Wisdom

Dear God --
Help me not be a perfectionist. (Did I spell that correctly?)
Help me to relax about insignificant details, beginning tomorrow at 7:41:23 a.m. EST.
Help me to not try to run everything -- but, if you need some help, please feel free to ask me.
Help me to consider other people’s feelings, even if most of them are hypersensitive.
Help me to take responsibility for the consequences of my actions, even though they’re usually not my fault.
Help me to be more laid back, and help me to do that exactly right.
Help me to take things more seriously, especially laughter, parties, and dancing.
Give me patience, and I mean right now!
Help me to finish everything I sta
Help me to keep my mind on one thing -- oh, look, a bunny!
-- at a time.
Help me to do only what I can, and trust for the rest. And could I get that in writing?
Keep me open to others’ ideas, misguided though they may be.
Help me follow established procedures. Hey, wait -- this is wrong ...
Help me slow down andnotrushthroughwhatido.
Thank you. Amen.


Had a great ride with Whirlygig, out to UBC and around Marine Drive/Imperial Loop today. Started at noon as he had a number of commitments. Saw lots of action at the Shaughnessy Golf Course with the Canadian Open in full swing, so to speak. (I was going to attend for a few hours tomorrow, after Sarge finished his volunteer shift at noon but as things have turned out, Per and Kerstin, (Kerstin is our friend Kjell's sister, Per her boyfriend), golfers and visitors from Sweden, would like to go. I'm not fussed about not attending so offered my pass to them. This way they need only buy one ticket for $80 and will make their way to The Island Inn, after watching play for most of day, to be part of Malt Tasting tomorrow evening.) We followed one of our regular routes and then made for home. I dropped Whirlygig off at his place and then proceeded to RBC on Broadway/MacDonald for cash, then to Broadway Joe, (actually Diane Bird now, but was Joe Fast when we first moved to Vancouver!), my dentist to pay a bill, then to Young Brother's for some fruit/vegetables/milk and then to Minerva's, Greek Deli, for olivettiis and cheese for Jugos Dom Pedro's contribution to food menu for malt tasting, then on to Kinkos to print out place mats for tasting and then home. Had logged 51K when I stopped at bank and was up to 55K by time I was at Harbour Terrace.

Naughty Nancy forgot her phone adapter so will pop that in mail domani and then plan to ride with Whirlygig again, earlier in morning and then be home, (now that I'm not attending golf tourney), in plenty of time to set up for tasting. Have already laid out mats on table and almost perfect seating arrangement for "official" malt tasters. Will only need to steal a few chairs from The Annexe but otherwise have almost enough seating. Just have to worry about filling 144 glasses once all the bottles arrive!!

All the best. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment