Wednesday 15 February 2012

IIDD, Feb 16th

Every burned book or house enlightens the world; every suppressed or expunged word reverberates through the earth from side to side. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882) 








Juno Ludovisi

Museo Nazionale Romano, 1st cent. CE


Hi Dana et al!

Have a wonderful trip! Never been to Madeira, ("Have some Madeira, My Dear/It'd ever so much nicer than beer!" Limelighters, I think, if my memory serves me well.), but enjoyed Northern Cyprus in 2007 with Cora Lee and Chloë. I lived near Morphou, (Can't remember Turkish name.), for nine years, (1948-1957), when my Dad worked for an American owned copper mining company, Cyprus Mines Corporation, CMC. Not much evidence of the various communities associated with the operation left now. Only the nine-hole golf course, with oiled sand "greens". We carried foot wide, flat "trowels" to smooth the path for the ball. I couldn't believe grass greens when I first encountered them back in Canada!

Will you be visiting Kyrenia? I used to paddle and play on small sandy beach near the Castle there. Hadn't heard of Othello or Desdemona or Iago then. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Did someone say Madeira? Marvelous.

On that, my first visit to Portugal, years ago, a young football (as in ...le foot european) player persuaded me to cliff dive with him. Stunned my academic colleagues at the time when I took the leap, descending hundreds of feet, missing the rocks and narrow strand of beach, black, volcanic sand, below, surfacing with a smile on my face, his grasping me by the neck and saying, with an audience applauding, Bravo James, Bravo!
Caro Randy, et vous tous....Bom Dia! James
Sorry, guys, cliff diving and yoghurt eating will not be on my list of activities.  My tales of daring do and eating strange substances shall have to remain contained within The Cloven Pine. Dana  
I recount a conversation I had tonight with Ruth's dad -- sorry, Ruth, you've heard this story before!

http://rln04.blogspot.com/2012/02/conversation-with-my-wifes-dad-about.html

Thank you, Randy, for this sharing. Best to you all.....James

Hi Randy and Ruth et al:

I had heard some of what the blog contained, from Ruth, when we last visited. A remarkable story indeed. Puts our own "worries" and "frettings" about which wine or malt or shoes we "need" in rather clear perspective. I can hardly imagine some of the difficulties our own parents had to endure. While probably not quite as horrendous as Ruth's father's family's trials, my own Dad "road the rails" during The Depression, Dusty sailed the North Atlantic to Murmansk in WII, Corinne lost two uncles, shot down over Germany/Hollands, while my Uncle Walter survived to sink the Tirpitz in Tromsø  Fjord in Norway. From Wikipedia:

Operation Catechism, the final British attack on Tirpitz, took place on 12 November 1944.[50] The ship again used her 38 cm guns against the bombers, which approached the battleship at 09:35; Tirpitz's main guns forced the bombers to temporarily disperse, but could not break up the attack.[63] A force of 32 Lancasters from Nos. 9 and 617 Squadrons dropped 29 Tallboys on the ship, with two direct hits and one near miss.[50] Several other bombs landed within the anti-torpedo net barrier and caused significant cratering of the seabed; this removed much of the sandbank that had been constructed to prevent the ship from capsizing. One bomb penetrated the ship's deck between turrets Anton and Bruno but failed to explode. A second hit amidships between the aircraft catapult and the funnel and caused severe damage. A very large hole was blown into the ship's side and bottom; the entire section of belt armour abreast of the bomb hit was completely destroyed. A third bomb may have struck the ship on the port side of turret Caesar.[63] The amidships hit caused significant flooding and quickly increased the port list to between 15 and 20 degrees. In ten minutes, the list increased to 30 to 40 degrees; the captain issued the order to abandon ship. Progressive flooding increased the list to 60 degrees by 09:50, though this appeared to stabilise temporarily. Eight minutes later, a large explosion rocked turret Caesar. The turret roof and part of the rotating structure were thrown 25 m (82 ft) into the air and over into a group of men swimming to shore. Tirpitz then rapidly rolled over and buried her superstructure in the sea floor.[64]

My Uncle was in 617 Squadron and his pilot, Tate, was also the Squadron Commander. He remained in the RAf after the war and was posted to Cyprus. Out two families visited each other in Kyrenia. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Lads!

As things turned out I was back home by 12:30pm, after taking Tina to the airport. What with one's manservant's duties to discharge, didn't actually leave The Heartbreak Terrace until a few minutes before 2:00pm.  Wasn't quite sure how far I planned to go so made for Canada Place and then decided upon an up-and-over, the mesmerizing sight of the couple of seaplanes landing and taking off, inspiring me to make the trek to The Spirit Trail. After I'd made the short jog past the reserve I retraced my route to continue on to Ambleside/Dundarave and then Bellvue/Travers/Marine Drive. Simply gorgeous, mild afternoon, so all the West Van walkers and dog owners were smiling and friendly. That is, except for one Good Burgher, upon the wide path near Ambleside, taking about two thirds of the roadway, as it was, with his rotund wife and their three yappy pooches. "Ding! Ding" he yelled, from the folds of his Aquascutum, (I assume he expected me to alert him to my "Run Silent, Run Deep" approach so that he could manoeuvre his "flock" to block the path completely!), as I rode past! "Dingbat! Dingbat" I shot back, expectorating in his general direction, trusting the steady breeze might convey my venomous spittle to his self-important visage!

Had thought, earlier on, that I'd circumcyle SP, on the lower level, second time around, but it was going on 5:00pm when I'd descended past Second Beach so simply made a slight dipsy-doodle to put 53K on clock and then made for home, registering 63.33K on the Odometre Deadly when I pulled up in front of the Heartbreak Stanchion! Pleased as punch even if I had to talk out loud to myself to keep myself company on the solo outing. Had puzzled over the many strange looks I'd received on the Seawall but put it down to my eccentric garb. (All your barbs have caused me to question my fashion sense!) Never really dawned on me that my babbling, together with my motley outfit, might have conjured up the idea of a street person on wheels, off his meds!

Just 2.5miles today at Aquatic Centre as I attended Brian Covernton's Father's Celebration Of Life at the Richmond Funeral Home on Cambie, in the afternoon. I know Brian appreciated the squash contingent, (Tony Goodson, Bruce McFarlane, Larry/Bob Armstrong, Bob Smart, Karen Levine, Ruth Castellano), and there were many, many other relatives and family friends that I didn't know, as well, of course. It was quite a celebratory occasion, as it was meant to be so I think it helped the family through the difficult grieving time. I hadn't seen Bruce and the two Bobs in sometime so it was really good to see them, in spite of circumstances. Courtney, Brian's/Linda's eldest, is really quite a young woman now. Unfortunately, Patrick, their son, (He is autistic.), was not able to attend. His sister told me that the gathering, (mainly so many people), would simply have been too upsetting for him. Courtney mentioned that he knew about his Grandfather's death, however.

I didn't know Ted very well but had met him on a number of occasions, over the years. Cathy, Brian's sister, and her Mom, had selected pictures of her Dad, together with friends and family, and these were used in a Power Point-like tribute. Wonderful to see Brian in his Father's face, his wonderful smile and antic demeanour, so it was quite touching, very moving. Ted would have turned 88 today and this was the main reason family had decided to hold the Celebration on this date. I had not realized it but he died on February 6th. A difficult, difficult time but a grand wake.

Not sure about next ride. At one point Saturday looked promising but not now, at least according to forecast I perused. Any thoughts? Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Patrick,

Confirming you for two at the reception and the following event at which you will have reserved seating. Regards, Sandra


Hi Sandra!

Thanks very much for confirmation! Great to have connections in high places!!! Cheers, Patrizzio!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment