Thursday 23 February 2012

IIDD, Feb 23rd

To read fast is as bad as to eat in a hurry. -Vilhelm Ekelund, poet (1880-1949) 


Hi Big Al!

First of all, thanks again for the lovely evening on Saturday! Such wonderful food and company, not to mention the Rock Concert! Please pass along thanks to the Young Gene Krupa and the Young Jimi Hendrix! Great to get to know Laura and Mark better as well. Enjoyed visiting with Maureen as I've not really had a chance to talk, at some length, with her before.

Cora Lee told me that you had phoned once I returned from my ride but it was a busy afternoon once. I apologize for not calling sooner. Robo Ray and Whirlygig picked me up at the Heart Break Terrace at 10:00am and we went around Stanley Park. I wanted to do an up-and-over LG but they vetoed me! Giorgio had to be home before noon so that was his excuse. After we left him at Point Grey and Macdonald we proceeded out to UBC along Spanish Banks. Quite a strong headwind until we reached the Foreshore Hill and then it was pushing us along quite nicely on Marine Drive. We climbed Crown to 29th and then cycled past St George's to Imperial and then to 16th. I rode with Raymundo to his place on 23rd and then made for home, down Macdonald. Day was perhaps one of the warmest, most pleasant, in terms of the weather, that we have had for some time. The North Shore Mountains looked like giant ice-cream cones!

Had 60K on the clock by the time I was at totem pole on Kits Point so did 9K's worth of dipsy-doodling there to have 71.33K on the the Deadly Odometre by time I was back at the Island Inn. Had a quick shower and a bite ot eat and then ran some errands. I had wanted to walk over to GI to post some letters and just as I was about to step out the patio door the heavens literally opened and it rained cats and dogs and there was even some hail! Didn't last and it was gorgeous shortly thereafter.

Anyway, once I was home I had just a few minutes to grab a quick java and then I went to Broadway Lodge to feed Mom her dinner. She had a good meal and then I wheeled her back to her floor where I proceeded to clip her fingernails. It is a bit of a challenge as she is constantly moving or twisting her hand/finger(s) away. I felt quite badly a few minutes after I had started the process as I nipped her left thumb when I was clipping its thumbnail. Bled quite a bit although she didn't complain at all. (On a previous occasion she exclaimed "Ouch"!", although I hadn't drawn any blood. I had to chuckle as it reminded me that some of her circuits are still intact!) A nurse brought a band-aid and compressed the end of her thumb until the bleeding stopped. After I'd filed the cut nails I fed her dessert, a Dixie Cup. Once again,i had to laugh as she wanted to chew on her bandage once the ice-cream was finished. Managed to distract her by putting lotion on her arms and face. Pleased that she is looking so well, her hair done quite nicely and the dry spots on her forehead helped by the skin cream.

On Sunday evening we had arranged with Grogg and Lurch to go out for dinner. They had arrived back in Vancouver around noon that day, after having been away since New Year’s Day when they flew to Hawaii for two weeks, then on a cruise through the South Pacific followed by two weeks in New Zealand traveling with another couple from Calgary. They came by at just after 5:00pm and I was literally just walking in the door myself, having biked over to he Aquatic Centre earlier that afternoon to swim. Managed 3.5 miles so was pleased. Cora Lee was visiting with Clan Sutherland so I opened a La Frenz, Naramata Bench, 2010 Viognier, 12.5%, (tropical fruit, rich and ripe, a lingering finish with just a touch of pleasing bitterness), and sent them downstairs to catch up with Flamin’ and Sarge while I changed.

Grog had brought along a 2009 Leonetti Merlot, Walla Walla, 14.5%, (big fruit, red berries, long finish with silky smooth tannins), which he had opened shortly after they arrived and by the time I was changed the three came back upstairs and we chatted about their travels while we enjoyed the wonderful wines. We didn't have long to do so as we had reservations at Edible on GI at 6:00pm. Short stroll and we were there with a minute to spare!

Have been there a number of times before and have always enjoyed the food, the ambience and the
service. Grogg ordered the HARVEST SALAD, (Okanagan pears, toasted hazelnuts, sundried cranberries, local greens), while rest of decided to have the MARKET INSPIRED SEAFOOD SOUP, (East Coast lobster broth, mussels, clams, seasonal sustainable fish), and a bottle of OROFINO, Similkameen Valley, PASSION PIT 2009 CABERNET SAUVIGNON, (tobacco and black fruit), to start!

Soup was divine and Grogg said salad was terrific. He and Cesca had both ordered one of the specials, flank steak with fries, while Coriandre and I chose the other, breast of duck on sweet potatoe mash. Both the steak and the duck were thinly sliced and scrumptuous, delicioso indeed. Of course, we "needed" a second bottle so decided upon STONEBOAT VINEYARDS, Oliver, 2008 PINOTAGE. I'm not a fan of South African Pinotage but was quite taken with this winery's expression of that varietal when we fist visited a number of years ago. True to what I had hoped to taste, we all relished its remarkable plum/raspberry nose with a most palatable cedar spice finish.

Each couple shared a crème brûlée for dessert and I alone had a cappuccino. Grogg and Lurch insisted the dinner was on them so I suggested a round of expensive maltage! (Just kidding!) Nevertheless , it was most generous of them, together with the very pricey Leonetti so we basked in the glow of the Rich and Famous, if only for a few hours! We were ready to leave by 9:00pm and jet-lag was starting to take its toll so they caught a cab right outside the restaurant and we waved goodbye, having made plans to see them the following evening. Cora Lee and I walked home and we, ourselves, were not long in going to bed to read a bit before turning out the bedside lamps. Didn't take either of us long to fall asleep as we each had the better part of a full bottle of wine sloshing around inside our tummies!

I'll give you a call tomorrow, (actually this!), morning. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Hi Patrice,

Glad to hear you had a full and adventurous few days since we last saw you. I went out to North Van yesterday with the intention of working on Paul's camera cars but when I got there he suggested we golf instead. Being easily swayed and just happening to have my clubs with me and not to mention the sun beating down made it a fairly easy decision!.

Paul's funny as he gives me a hard time about not getting to work on his fleet but at the same time encourages me to play hookey from work,including his own outstanding projects!

I like his attitude as it is not unlike my own in that we should think a bit about the future but also live for today as who knows what tomorrow holds.

We had a great day out at Northlands at the foot of Seymour mountain. It's very hilly and a great workout going up and down, my legs were burning by the end but it felt good!

I phoned yesterday to let you know I had gotten a lisence plate light and I need to fabricate a housing for it but that won't take to long and I'll try to get to it later today. I will probably go to Pauls this morning to do some actual work but come back here after lunch to work on some other things. I'll get in touch later this evening and we can figure out a time to get your thing done.

Cheers, Al


Hi Big Al!

Terrific that you were able to enjoy the glorious sunshine and warmth of yesterday, even if it meant playing hookey! Thanks for work on the bike rack plate. Perhaps we can arrange something on the weekend. That way I can drive over and you can put snow tires on my car at the same time! Hard to believe the mix of weather of late.

Have a full, full day of Royal Chauffeuring today. Her Majesty has to have an x-ray at Mt St Joesph's around 10:45am and then must be whisked to Broadway and Macdonald to see her surgeon. Her Royal Footness is hoping that she will be able to walk out of his office wearing a "normal", one with a stiff sole for support, shoe. Hope so as well since we leave in less than two weeks and she needs get used to ambulating without the Royal Boot.

Bad enough that I'm indentured to the Royal Household and now I'm being "farmed out" to other aristocratic families. About 2:30apm I'm to take Mr Fixit to Olympic Sky Train Station as he is off to Toronto after being here for about two weeks, renovating Clan Sutherland's master bathroom and skiing. Where will it end? Not sure as Her Haughtiness referred to me as The Royal Knave this morning as I brought her tea to her bedside. Is that a promotion or a demotion? Hard to tell with these madcap royals!

On a brighter note, I include a web address for the iPhone 5. I think it has more than exciting potential for the Stanchionometre. However, this is highly classified information, as you will discover, so please distribute to The Brotherhood on a need to know basis only. I can hardly imagine the furour should it fall into the hands of The Sisterhood!

Talk later. Cheers, Patrice!

The New iPhone 5:

http://ourlighterside.com/stuff/new-x-phone/ATT000441.gif


Dear Patrick


June Burton, a friend of mine who lives in Mill Hill, is planning to visit BC with a friend at the end of May for 3 weeks and asked my advice re weather.  I said I thought it would be lovely then but her friend thinks it will be cold.  If you get a minute could you contact her and I think she would much appreciate meeting up for a drink or two while she's there!


Her address is


XXX
Many thanks Penny xx


Hi June, (and Penny)!

Terrific to learn that you will be visiting Vancouver in June, June! How appropriate!

We will just be back from our trip, (We leave on March 5th for five nights in Hong Kong. Then on to Australia for two months, travelling with friends Flamin’ and Sarge. We part ways in Cairns when they fly back to Vancouver. We continue on to Darwin for a week and then back to Sydney until May 11th when we fly to Japan for three weeks. Will visit with Toshi and Izumi, former ESL boarders. Looking forward to trip but have to file income tax before we leave and accomplish scads of other things as well.), so please give us a call as soon as you have settled. Where are you staying? If you don't have anything booked you are welcome to stay in our spare bedroom but would have to share a double bed or one of you could use a comfortable inflatable mattress. Anyway, you are more than welcome. Of course, we'd love to meet you and your friend so hope you can drop by for a drink or meal or all of the above during your stay, at the very least.

With respect to the weather, it shouldn't be "cold", at least as far as we consider temperature. That being said, last June was unseasonably cool and wet. I remember as I cycle a fair bit and found it frustrating that some of the days were not as pleasant as ones we had in the fall. However, that is simply Vancouver. Forecast for this coming weekend is for snow flurries, for example.

To give you some idea of the changeability, here is a brief description of yesterday's ride with friends Robo Ray and Whirlygig. They picked me up at the Heart Break Terrace, (our place!), at 10:00am and we went around Stanley Park. I wanted to do an up-and-over Lions Gate Bridge but they vetoed me! Giorgio had to be home before noon so that was his excuse. After we left him at Point Grey and Macdonald we proceeded out to UBC along Spanish Banks. Quite a strong headwind until we reached the Foreshore Hill and then it was pushing us along quite nicely on Marine Drive. We climbed Crown to 29th and then cycled past St George's to Imperial and then to 16th. I rode with Raymundo to his place on 23rd/Arbutus and then made for home, down Macdonald. Day was perhaps one of the warmest, most pleasant, in terms of the weather, that we have had for some time. Blindin sunshine, crystal clear blue sky. The North Shore Mountains looked like giant ice-cream cones!

Had 60K on the clock by the time I was at totem pole on Kits Point so did 9K's worth of dipsy-doodling there to have 71.33K on the the Deadly Odometre by time I was back at the Island Inn. Had a quick shower and a bite to eat and then ran some errands. I had wanted to walk over to GI to post some letters and just as I was about to step out the patio door the heavens literally opened and it rained cats and dogs and there was even some hail! Didn't last and it was gorgeous shortly thereafter.

So there you have it! I'd pack "layers" and a light rain jacket but not parkas! When Darling Penelope was here with a friend a number of years ago we had to have comforters, provided by the restaurant, when we had dinner on the outside patio. Evenings are usually cool, even in the height of summer, but a sweater is often enough, depending, of course, on your sensitivity to temperature. Cora Lee sleeps with socks on, all the time, and I have to stick my toes outside the covers! Basically, weather should be fine but 'ain't no guarantees, I'm afraid!

Nevertheless, there will be plenty to do and you are more than welcome to use our bikes if you'd care to do so. We live right on the Seawall and you can ride right from our place to Stanley Park/downtown, for example, without having to use the road so it is quite safe, especially if you are uncomfortable being in traffic. Anyway, please send along another message if you have more questions. Look forward to meeting you in person. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Just occurred to me that perhaps you could be a mule if Penny hasn't polished off the Laphroaig. Not a big deal but just a thought!


Dear Patrick,
Many thanks for your email and your kind offer of a stay at your place in Vancouver.  We are coming over about 21st May till 10th June.  I am away in Norway at the moment so will need to confirm the dates when I get back as my friend has booked the flights.  It sounds from your email that you may be away in Japan till the end of May.  It would be great to get together though.  I have known Penny for many years since the children were small.
Regards from snowy Norway, June

Hi again, June!

If you are thinking of staying at our place, even while we are away, that is more than fine but we'd need to let Chloë, our daughter, who will be looking after our place while we are away, know so that she can co-ordinate things. Just get in touch when back from Norway. How are you enjoying country? Would love to visit. We were in Sweden in August of 2010 but couldn't squeeze in Norway at the time. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Check this out. Jane's neighbor, and I actually think it's funny, in a low key way that suits Graham better than political commentary.
Annie is Graham's girlfriend, and she has approximately ten cats, which she saved from a gruesome death.  Kjell
Hello Lads!

Glad to learn that your throat/head cold is on the mend, Kjell. Terrific to see you and Joan at VIWF reception, Paolo.

Kjell, Cora Lee still hadn't heard about next Wednesday when she left for downtown a few minutes ago. Cheers, Patrizzio! 
Hello Tiptoe!

We leave on March 5th for five nights in Hong Kong. Leave on March 11th to land in Sydney on March 12th. Will be there until we fly to Melbourne on March 17th to hook up with Flamin’.
Nevertheless, let me know about meeting in Sydney. Cheers, Patrice!

Thanks for your reply. When divulge travels south of the equator begin? Tim

Hi again, O Susanna and Champagne!

Thanks again for latest insurance coverage. The Tireless Pit Bull Pitchfords! Much, much appreciated! Once more, thanks again to you both. Will be in touch as soon as we figure out a few more details but I think, as far as you are concerned, all the loose ends are now nicely tied up!. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hey Patrizio,

All I can say is it's better to be alive then the alternative. (I think) Unless you're a born again Christian! Charlie


Travel Insurance Policy and The Big Chill!

Hallelujah Brother!!! 

                               Andreas Schroeder, the godfather of B.C.'s non-fiction boom!
Patrice,

I just made initial enquires with Vodafone to see if we are a major sponsor of the Grand Prix, however it would not appear to be the case.

That being said I’ll check with my sister who is the Travel editor for the Sun Herald as to whether there maybe any comps or discounted tickets.

Where are you staying in Sydney town? I’m very excited about your pending visit and look forward to introducing you to my beau. Love to the Dunn clan, Tiptoe

Hi again, Tiptoe!

As I mentioned in last message, we leave on March 5th for five nights in Hong Kong. Leave on March 11th to land in Sydney on March 12th. Will be there until we fly to Melbourne on March 17th to hook up with Flamin’.

However, there may well be a slight change of plans, for Sarge, not us. He was up last night and is keen to take in the F1 race on in Melbourne that weekend. He will even try to change his flight to Melbourne to accommodate the race! Do you have any connections regarding weekend passes? As of this writing, Sarge actually flies into Sydney on March 16th to stay overnight with us, at Ania's, where we are staying once we arrive.

Thanks for inquiring about tickets but not to worry if nothing comes of it. Sarge was just trying to explore all avenues. Be pleased to meet your new Beau! Give Onion a call and say hello. Cora Lee and Chloë send their fond regards. Mom is helping daughter with her resume as I write! Cheers, Patrice!

Hey Patricio,

I'm going on a three-hour hike up the mountains with Jou chien on Sunday, meeting at a MacDonalds!  Don't tell the ladies about this rendezvous; I might slip up in the dark forest!  Will give you a report after the ascent. R

Hi Gander Mountain Man!

Great that you've contacted Jou Chien! Enjoy the hike! Mum's the word! Cheers, Patrizzio!

She sent me wonderful files of maps and photos in preparation for our day.  She's hospitable!

Hi Boy Scout!

Don't forget to take along your Swiss Army Knife! Give Jou Chien our best regards! Ask her if she received my last email. I gather she must have done so otherwise you wouldn't have been able to make contact. Cheers, Patrizzio!

FYI, details about an assessment ride  of UBC & SW Marine on Saturday....

Elisabeth Jang
Begin forwarded message:

From: Jens von Bergmann 
Date: February 23, 2012 3:38:48 PM PST
To: Julian Dierkes, Kevin Chan , Howard M Stewart , Liz Jang , Jenna McNeil , Martin MacInnis , Hamish Stewart , bryce granger,  Antje Wahl ...

Subject: Re: UBC cycling / SW Marine Dr

Hi all,

just wanted to remind you that we are conducting an assessment ride along routes on and to campus this Saturday. The ride is conducted jointly with the VACC and the UBC bike co-op. The ride has also been announced on two UNA newsletters, so we expect some campus residents will also attend the ride. There will be two planners from UBC TREK/C+CP on the ride, and a writer from the Ubyssey.

Time: Saturday Feb 25, 10:30 - 12:30, rain or shine
Meeting Place: Old Barn Community Centre on campus

At the meeting place we will fix the last details for the ride and possibly split up into two groups, depending on turnout. After the ride we will meet again at the Old Barn to finish recording our impressions from the ride.

I also set up another doodle for our next meeting where we can go over our notes from the ride, so some work on the official report for the ride and decide what the UBC subcommittee should focus on next. Sign up here: http://www.doodle.com/gkckx7avc3a9mt5g

In general news, the discussions with BC Transport about SW Marine Drive are continuing on more informal channels to figure out why BC Transport is so fixated on preserving the shoulder as a park-and-ride lot that currently blocks the way for cyclists, and how trucks can be prevented from staging along SW Marine as happened again today on both sides.

hope to see you all on Saturday, --jens

Hi Lads! 

Thought that this might be of interest! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Whirls!

Finally had a chance to listen to the Current podcast. Most interesting and informative.

Weather doesn't look all that promising for riding over few days but perhaps things will change for the better. Thanks again for link. Cheers, from an extrovert to an introvert! Il Conduttore!

Hello friends and supporters of Aunt Leah’s!

My new newsletter to you is a little overdue!  Hope you had a great New Year’s and Valentine’s Day!!!  There are so many things coming up at Aunt Leah’s Place this Spring.  An open house celebration for the Thresholds Program, our Thrift Store GRAND OPENING!, a curling Bonspeil, and the ever-fabulous and this year “10th Annual” Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Soon I’ll be wishing you Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Bye for now,

Theresa Frazao
Director of Communications


3 more sleeps.......
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment