Friday 24 February 2012

IIDD, Feb 24th

Every advance in civilization has been denounced as unnatural while it was recent. -Bertrand Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel prize in literature (1872-1970) 


                                         Regular breakfast at The Island Inn!
Pat,
That sounds like a good idea. Hopefully they will comment on the rough
surface we encountered the other day. Ray


Hi Raymond!

I agree about shoulder on Marine!

Sylvia asked what you might bring on Saturday and Cora Lee suggested either a salad or a dessert, if either of those dishes would be possible. Let me know. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio!


P,

Thanks. Hope something comes of this...W

P,

Weather is actually looking better over the weekend -- of course those
forecasts are fluid, so to speak.

Let me know if you have not already seen Hugo. I may try to see a matinee
today.  W
 

Hi Whirlygig!

Thanks for the invitation to see Hugo but The Goils have plans for a double header this evening, War Horse and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, so I think I'll have to pass on the matinee. If you don't go to Hugo today perhaps we can squeeze it in over next little while.

Like you, I hope something comes of the Marine Drive proposed bike project. However, I'm more concerned about improvements to the route from 41st to Granville. One step at a time, I suppose. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


P,

I will hold off on Hugo until you can go. That may allow us only four more
days. I depart the rainforest next Tuesday, in the evening, to ski at
Kicking Horse. I won't return until the 8th, after you depart for other
climes.

Saturday I will ride to a morning match at EVG if the weather is permitting.
I will introduce you to another friend if you are riding Saturday. Sunday
may be a good day for a ride.

Enjoy the flicage tonight and say hello to the Goils.  W



Hi again, Whirlissimo!

Sounds terrif! On another critical matter,I was wondering if Big Molly should use this as his "stanchion" signature:

{_!_} a swishy ass!

Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Patrick,
Great to hear from you again. I am still on the boat until Sunday afternoon.  We disembark at 2.30 p.m. on sunday (we are +1hour to U.K. time) and then I fly back Sunday night to Gatwick arriving about 7.30 p.m.  I then need to get a train and tube and taxi so will probably be back about 11.00 with any luck.  We crossed the arctic circle about 11.25 a.m. and they gave us a souvenir spoon with cod liver oil (yuk!) which we had to swallow and an alcoholic drink!  I think I will put that photo on Facebook!  It is misty and drizzly today so not good for photos.  I hope it will be better tomorrow when we go to Tronheim and visit the town and cathedrale. 
Unfortunately my holiday is almost at an end and no sign of Northern Lights!  I will have to come again! Many thanks again for your kind offer. Regards June
Hi again, June!

Didn't realize that you were on a cruise of the fjords. Wonder if you went as far as Tromso Fjord. My Uncle Walter was a bombardier on an RAF, (He was in the RCAF), Lancaster with 617 Squadron, credited with dropping one of the bombs which sank the battleship Tirpitz on November 12, 1944. His pilot, "Willy" Tait, was CO of No. 617 Squadron, the famous Dambusters, at the time, although my uncle didn't join the squadron until after those raids. Probably a very good thing as survival rate for those aircrew wasn't very high! Corinne, my wife, lost two uncles who were shot down though they were not in 617 Squadron. We met the Tate family in Cyprus in the '50's as he was stationed there after the war and my Dad worked for a mining company on the island.

On another subject, come to Canada to see The Northern Lights. Whitehorse, in the Yukon, is the place to go. We'll come with you as we've not been. However, you probably won't want to stay at The Island Inn, with us, as cod liver oil is our regular tipple, without alcohol! We like to take it "neat"! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Colin!

What next? Cheers, Patrizzio!

A new phenomenon called E-MOONING:

We all know those cute little computer symbols called emoticons, where:  :) means a smile and :( is a frown. Sometimes these are represented by :-) :-( Well, how about some ASSICONS? Here goes: (_!_) a regular ass (__!__) a fat ass (!) a tight ass (_*_) an ass hole {_!_} a swishy ass (_o_) an ass that's been around (_x_)kiss my ass (_X_) leave my ass alone (_zzz_) a tired ass (_E=mc2_) a smart ass (_$_) Money coming out of his ass (_?_) Dumb Ass You have just been e-mooned!

P,

Thanks. Very amusing. W



This is what happens on pro d day!

Dear all. Here are the details re our luncheon.

Date:
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 28TH 2012

Time:
11:30 am-2:00 pm

Place:
SAGE BISTRO (former Faculty Club) - MUSIC ROOM
UBC Campus
6331 Crescent Road

Menu choices:

1. Beef sandwich option ... $22.00 (incl. gratuity & taxes & $2 to
cover guest lunches)
Roast beef, dill pickle, cheddar, Swiss & havarti cheeses, ranchero
mayo and jalapeno mustard spread, sour dough with side
salad. Coffee/Decaf/Tea.

2. Chicken salad option - Gluten free ... $22.00 (incl. gratuity &
taxes & $2 to cover guest lunches)
Grilled chicken, butter lettuce, avocados, goat cheese, tomato,
Champagne vinaigrette. Coffee/Decaf/Tea.

3. Vegetarian option ... $24.00 (incl. gratuity & taxes & $2 to cover
guest lunches)
Cheese & fruit plate: brie, edam, fontina, havarti, blue cheese,
strawberries and grapes, bread/crackers. Coffee/Decaf/Tea.

4. Glass of wine ... $7 (incl. gratuity & taxes)
a. Red: Peller Estate Merlot
b. White: Peller Estate Pinot Blanc

PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY MARCH 23RD WHETHER YOU PLAN TO ATTEND. I ALSO
NEED TO KNOW YOUR FOOD CHOICE AND WINE CHOICE if you wish to have
wine. If you attend, send your cheque to me by March 23rd as
well. Re the cheque: make it out to Nadine L.S. Baldwin and send it
to Nadine Baldwin, 2558 W. 7th Ave., Vancouver, B.C. V6K 1Y9.

I have to sign a contract regarding attendance, etc., prior to the
lunch so your early response will be helpful. Our 'program' is in
process, but we will have one guest for sure and possibly two
more. As I noted in my earlier message, the person attending from
the Library Administration will be Leonora Crema, Associate
University Librarian - Client Services and Programs. I am in
discussion with someone from the UBC Association of Professor Emeriti
and will get back to you after I get something worked out. Assuming
I do, I may ask one more person from Library. I still have $25 left
from last year. If I collect too much, I'll hold the money for next
year. Our costs have been kept to basic food/drink costs thanks to
Ingrid Parent agreeing to both pay via Library requisition and pay
the cover/room charge. I will reimburse the Library for the other
costs after 2:00 pm on March 28th.

I will deal with our snail mail colleagues by phone.

Call me if you have any questions about the arrangements. Regards, Nadine




Corey before getting his wisdom teeth out!


Corey's message to me after waking from sedation. I think he's trying to tell me about a dream he had!
Pat,
Thanks for the dinner invitation. Sylvia has asked me to pass along (as
she cooks our evening pizzas) that she will bring a dessert tomorrow. See
you about 6:30. Ray
Hi Ray!

Dessert sounds wonderful! Thank you. Hope your foot is improving, Sylvia.
I just realized that TNT's plane doesn't arrive until 6:12pm! I mixed up the arrival time with Sunday's departure time. Not a big deal, as far as you and Sylvia arriving at 6:30pm, since Cora Lee will be here and she can show you her new sneakers! However, if you are pushed for time, I doubt I'll be back much before 7:00pm with Teens and Trev. That being said, come whenever timing works!

Went for a swim just before noon today. Quite  a blizzard as I was cycling over Burrard Bridge. Large, large flakes but they didn't stick so traction wasn't a problem. Managed to get fairly wet however! Melted flakes were trickling through my helmet and down my neck.

Had decided that I'd try to go for four miles and just kept up a steady, (aka slow!), pace until I had achieved my goal. I broke up swim by doing four lengths of backstroke after each mile so my shoulder felt pretty good for duration of swim. Not quite sure how I square the interpolation of backstroke into non-stop crawl. A bit like touching the ground!  Anyway, just the silly little game I need to play to convince myself that, in fact, I can go the distance I've set. Have to trick myself or distance remaining seems too, too much to bear contemplating.

Quite dry on way home so ride back was most pleasant. English Bay was burnished pewter, sun trying to break through clouds past Point Grey, freighters becalmed on a mirrored sea surface.

I'm thinking about a ride tomorrow, mid-morning, as forecast suggests that there might be an opportunity for a precipitation-free ride, sometime between 11:00am-2:00pm. Available? Any interest? Believe Giorgio is playing at EVG so he probably isn't up for a jaunt. Let me know. Otherwise, we'll see you tomorrow evening. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Pat,

    Just finished watching 'The Help'. Not that we wouldn't mind examining Corinne's new runners, but 7:00 would suit us better as I will be working till 5:30. Probably pass on the cycling tomorrow unless there's a rapid turn around in the weather. Ray



Hi again Raymond!

Glad timing works for you. Her Majesty will be miffed of course!

Supposed to be quite windy tomorrow so not sure what cycling will be like, if at all. Anyway, let's just see what happens and have a chat in the morning. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hi Patrick and Corinne,

One more thing. We will mail the RBC questionnaires to you today with a SASE. Can you complete and return to us before you go so that we have these on file.

Thanks, Charlie



Hi Champagne!

Thanks for effort but Cora Lee already has questionnaires in an envelope, stamped and addressed! Never mind, we 'll keep on file for next time! Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment