Sunday 26 February 2012

IIDD, Feb 26th

Standard English is a convenient abstraction, like the average man. -George Leslie Brook, English professor, author (1910-1987)  

Graffiti
 
Def: Words or drawing made on a wall or other surface in a public place.



 The most famous and most widely distributed of all graffiti in human history must be Kilroy was here which I first encountered as a 12-year-old while American soldiers in April 1945 passed through my hometown in Germany and then those of other nations occupied houses there. I have followed discussions about it ever since. The best site devoted to this now almost 70-year-old cultural icon seems to be this:

 http://www.kilroywashere.org/001-Pages/01-0KilroyLegends.html
 
Manfred Kroger, University Park, Pennsylvania


Hello, Patrick!

Great to hear from you!

Happy to hear that all of you are fine. Relieve to hear that Corinne's foot are well. I guess lots of activities have been going on in Island Inn!



So, you are leaving for Australia in 2 weeks! Must be very busy getting ready for your long trip and no wonder having a nightmare! 



Sorry that couldn't give you trip information sooner... 



There are so many things I could suggest you to do in Japan. But I know that you prefer not travel around and get too busy. Please let me know anything if I can do something for you to make your trip easier, funner and memorable! So I can't express how happy I am!! 


My mom suggests that Kyushu Area (southern part of Japan) would be interesting for you. About 3 years ago, before my dad died we went Kumamoto prefecture. The pref. has Kumamoto Castle which is one of the three great castles in Japan. There is active volcano Mt. Also, too. The Japanese style hotel called "Ryokan" with hot springs where we stayed were great! Foods and atmosphere have its own attractiveness. 

Just for your information:
Ryokans' URL (only in Japanese but you will find some image)
Both were recommended by people in Kumamoto who told us that we were very fortunate that we could made reservation.

Definitely you need a year or three!
But if you do so, I can't see you in Canada...
I still have my mind set for living in Vancouver!!

I'll write back soon. Love always, Toshiko


From our balcony, just watched an enormous golden sun set smack in the middle of the Golden Gate bridge...now the ribbons of cloud are picking up the remaining glow in orange and red.....a little glass of wine and....a taste of heaven....

Best of luck all, in your Oscar pool!!!!

 
Corinne and Pat,
    Thanks for dinner and a very pleasant evening. It was good to meet with Tina and Trevor. I'm sure you'll be well hosted in Adelaide. Great that you are on the move again Corinne and hopefully you will get stronger as the holiday moves along. Best wishes for a lovely trip.
Ray and Sylvia.

                                                                                                            Whistler!

Hi Patrick.  The 1st of March sounds great for us and we are really looking forward to seeing everyone again.  We will be in touch once we have arrived and got over the jetlag!  We leave tomorrow for Marnie's and then will be flying out from Heathrow on Tuesday around 5 pm and arriving in Vancouver about 7 in the evening.  See you on the 1st March is not before.

Kind regards Gayle
Hi Gayle and Derek!

I assume you are in Southampton at the moment. had meant to write sooner but time evaporated!
Cora Lee had her Book Club this evening so I'm all by my lonesome. Took a quick shower and then fixed dinner, a delicious plate, a mélange of overlefts! Trust you have a comfortable flight. Give us a shout when you are settled. Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday, if not before. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Patrick

Our good wishes to the Pacific touring party. I trust Corinne will be comfortable with the travel ( and will be on her best behaviour).

Thank you for the tutorial on bridge by raising the Jacobi transfer. This led me to learn about tenaces and into the Wikepeida directory of bridge terms from which I have just emerged and shall return at leisure. I have been warned that I now have restricted access to Funbridge as I am playing without making a subscription. Still having little success with partners or competitors apart from Ed.


We have had my mother for most of February - she fell out of her bed at home last week and slept on the floor before calling us at 6am. Visits to hospital for X rays followed but fortunately all seems to be fine and she is eating and sleeping well here. The deafness( hers) is a problem especially when she is watching the TV.

We have had a weekend  of 3 international rugby matches on TV which I am looking forward to reviewing with Ray. My mother watches them quite intently too. We enjoy the half time refreshment best of all of course. we watched the England game at the 
Taylors and the refreshments were especially good.

Modern series of Upstairs, Downstairs on tonight clashing with Homeland both of which we became involved with last week.

Chris and I managed a ride this morning and I wore shorts and never really warmed up - took away the enjoyment somewhat. 

Cycling on a Sunday morning on the cycleways/bidleways means lots of walkers with dogs in addition to other cyclists with their children. Chris and I are very polite, call out in advance, smile, say "Good Morning" and "thanks" for holding onto your uncontrollable dog etc. This gets a little tedious and potentially annoying when they jump out of their skins, have earphones in or totally ignore us. I usually laugh and shake my head at them just to annoy them.

We reached the dizzy heights of 17 degrees C last week but only for one day. The daffodils, crocuses and snowdrops are at various stages of showing themselves even though the trees are completely bare still for several more weeks. Rich is skiing with friends in Japan and we are not sure when he will get back. He resigned from Accenture and intends to contract so has flexibility for the time being.

We have booked a short holiday in May around Dubrovnik in Croatia and Montenegro a place we have never been to . This will be our first organised holiday for many years - ie hotels pre booked, bus travel to various places of interest and we shall have to see how we cope. Who knows we might yet end up having a cruise.

 We are looking forward to hosting Sylvia just before then. A pity Ray doesn't fancy the air travel too.

Once again enjoy Australia etc and I shall swot up on the bridge terms in the meantime. Best wishes Jim and Chris




Dearest Funbridge Fellow and Croatia Chris!

Sounds like a wonderful holiday. Chloë and I really enjoyed Dubrovnik when we visited in 2007 in October. Believe your choice of month will be even better. Bridge on the terrace, I should think!!!
Trust your Mother is back in bed, so to speak. My kind of gal. She wouldn't mind cheap hotels, not like our wives who want nothing less than "Luxury! Sheer Luxury!!" Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!




No comments:

Post a Comment