Wednesday 21 September 2011

IIDD, September 21st

Hi Patrick,
my name is Teela-Dawn Mann and I'm a friend of Nicole's, we have met once before. Thank you very much for agreeing to be interviewed. I get my assignment this Friday. I was wondering if you were available to meet up Wednesday September 28th or the weekend of october 1? You can also contact me by phone. Thank you 
Teela-Dawn Mann

Hi Teela-Dawn!

I'm available on Wednesday, September 28th, except in the evening, as I have an orientation session for VIFF. I'm a volunteer this year. Weekend of October 1st would be fine as well but I don't have my VIFF schedule yet so not sure what my actual shifts will be. Let me know what times work for you and about how long interview might take and we can plan accordingly. Look forward to meeting you. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the newsy email and the photos of Mum.  I gather that you had a good, although brief visit on your way through.  Mum certainly enjoys getting together with you and Corrine.
Perhaps we'll see you in Toronto or Vancouver soon.

Best, Ann
Hi Ann!

Yes, we had a lovely time with your Mom. She really is a delight although she stuck out her tongue at me when I teased her about Jim and I beating her and Cora Lee at bridge!

Cheers, Patrizio!
Hi Patrick,

I've attached the spreadsheet for the Granville Island distribution. Feel
free to have a go at it.

However, remove the Kids Market building from the list entirely. They called
to let me know the racks are for paid clients only and they've tossed most
of the guides you left there yesterday. Sigh.

Sandra
Hi Patrice,

Thanks for the wonderfully detailed accounting of recent travels etc. I
would love to respond in kind fashion but Don't have the 2 -3 days that it
would likely take to do so. Really glad to hear that you're living life to
the fullest as always. If you're heading out to my neck of the woods on one
of your rides please give me a call. I could join up and at least partake in
part of it if not the whole trip. Although busy my schedule is very flexible
which I'm enjoying so much. I have been doing some interesting projects of
late including a seesaw for a local artist who got a grant from the city of
Vancouver to produce it. I tweaked her rough sketches and redsuggested some
alternative methods of construction. I continue to work on my associates
camera car fleet rebuilding hydraulic trailers , trucks etc. Also installed
railings on a persons house in east van as well as few other smaller jobs.

I'm up for a ride sometime soon , I just checked the weather and it doesn't
look too good the next couple of days so perhaps on the weekend or early
next week.

Take care, Al

Hi Maxwell/Big Al!

Terrific shots of your car, (Who is the Babe? Not Marilyn, is it?), and your work. Did you weld those large beams/brackets/supports from aluminum?

As I mentioned in my last message, we attended Wayde Compton's reading yesterday evening. I did not know anything him or his work but was quite impressed. From the introduction, before his reading, and from Wikipedia, I discovered:

"He was born in Vancouver in 1972 and has published two books of poetry, one book of essays, and edited the first comprehensive anthology of black writing from British Columbia. He co-founded Commodore Books with David Chariandy and Karina Vernon in 2006, the first black-oriented press in Western Canada. He also co-founded the Hogan's Alley Memorial Project in 2002, a grassroots organization that archives the history of Vancouver's black community. In addition to his published writing, Compton also performs turntable-based sound poetry with Jason de Couto. Compton teaches at Emily Carr University of Art and Design and in the English department at Coquitlam College."

A very likeable, articulate, quietly passionate young man. Am curious to read more of his work after hearing him read a short story, one of seven he is currently working on. Funnily enough, (inasmuch as I've just finished Super Sad True Love Story), he examines technology and rampant consumerism from a perspective which brings to mind, in certain instances, the treatment of these issues by Gary Shteyngart. I suppose artists do just that, reflect on the world which surrounds them/us.

Had a grand ride this morning. Whirlygig and Raymundo met me at our place and we set off, for Adanac, at 8:45am, to meet mutual friend, Marcus Aurelius, at Cassiar and Hastings at 9:30am. Had  to wait a few minutes for him but then we headed over Second Narrows and up Lillooet to Seymour Demo Forest, all the way to the dam, about 35K. Gorgeous ride, barely a whisper of sound of any sort. Back down to take the long haul, (much shorter going North), over Second Narrows and just over bridge Mark left us to return to Burnaby. We continued towards home, following Powell until it turns into a one-way and then made fro Adanac again. Had about 64K on the clock by the time we passed Harbour Terrace so I rode with lads to Point Grey Road and Cornwall and then waved goodbye. Started to sprinkle by Kits Pool but nothing serious and so I dipsy-doodled around Kits Point for a bit and then made for Lamey's Mill Road.

Had 76K on my odometre when I reached The Island Inn so I knew that if I cycled to Cambie Bridge I'd have kilometreage I wanted before calling it a day. Did just that and posted 81.33K by time I was home. All in all, an extremely pleasant ride, given no real rain. Temperature was almost perfect, slightly coolish in forest on Seymour, perfect riding temperature. Had thought that we might face a strong head-wind on way back over Second Narrows but, in fact, breeze was negligible.

Looks like Saturday and Sunday will be best days for a ride. On Saturday, we plan to ride out to Iona/Steveston, leaving around 8:00am, so you could think about joining us, should you wish to do so. However, Sunday might be better, given where you live, as I'd be happy to meet you at Marine Drive and Boundary, for example, and we could ride along Kent, perhaps over Cambie Sky Train Bridge, if you feel you are up for something like that. I'm pretty flexible regarding times, meeting somewhere between 10am-11am, perhaps. All sorts of possibilities. Let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

Cheers, Patrizio!

Patrick,
Jane and I also had a wonderful trip, with the camper van, to the East Kootenays.
Five days. We left early in the morning had brunch at the Coldwater Hotel in Merritt, spent the first night in a camp ground in Golden, before we ended up in Fernie, where jane worked as a teacher in 1974-5. And we stayed in the very room that jane rented in those days, when the place was still a "nurses' residence". From 1991 non it is a B&B run by a very nice couple from Ontario. The house is heritage and was meticulously restored.
One of Jane's former colleagues came over for breakfast, he was the host's best friend, and he and some other people also joined us in the evening for a barbecue on the porch. In between we met an old friend of Jane's at the museum and had an introduction of the local library by the chief librarian.
Before and after Fernie we paid a visit to the summer house of another of Jane's old friends on the shore of Lake Moyie. My second swim this summer! (First one by the cabin in Starvation Lake.)
Going home we stayed at a camp ground on the outskirts of Midway, a small town between Grand Forks and Osooyos, in case you don't know. Spent at least an hour just watching a totally starlit sky late in the evening. Saw a couple of meteors. Makes you feel really small. A big mystery,  but I certainly don't by the explanations given to us by legends forged thousands of years ago by people who felt they needed those legends. Of course, we will never find an explanation.
Now back in Stockholm, going to the cabin on Friday to prepare it for the winter. Probably returning to Vancouver by late December.  

Hi again, Kjell:

Your camper trip with Jane through the East Kootenays sounded wonderful. We hope to spend some time, in the next few years, getting to know that part of the province. So many interesting spots, as you have described so well.

Weather has already started to deteriorate, as far as biking is concerned, so looks like Saturday and Sunday will be best days for a ride. On Saturday, Ray and I plan to ride out to Iona/Steveston, leaving around 8:00am, and have invited Big Al, (you may recall him from malt tasting), to join so us. However, Sunday might be better, given where he lives in Burnaby, so I have suggested, (as an alternative to Saturday), that I'd be happy to meet him at Marine Drive and Boundary, for example, and we could then ride along Kent, perhaps over Cambie Sky Train Bridge, to Iona Beach, if he felt up for something like that.

Time to visit Mom before dinner is served at The Lodge. Cheers, Patrizio!


Welcome to the 2011/12 season of the Granville Island Open curling league!

This email is intended for all members of the league, so if you've received this in error please let me know.

We start curling this coming Tuesday (September 27) at 6:45!

If the skips would like to come to the club a bit early, we'll be accepting league fees and conducting the randomized draw for schedule positions. Every curler will also be required to complete a registration form, and there should be hard copies at the club. Unfortunately there is no online version available this year.

League fees will be $1180 per team, plus club membership ($30) and capital development fees ($35) per player. All prices include HST. Club membership and capital development fees only have to be paid to the league once per member. What this means is if you have 4 curlers and each pays the membership and capital development fees through the GI Open, your total cost will be $1180 + $35*4 + $30*4 = $1440 ($360 per person).

Please also visit the club website if you have any questions about open ice, location, or any other club-related items.

See you at the club and good curling!
-Steve, Wayne, and Randall.
Hello Lads!

Just to let you know, Stevealimo and Nasty Noble, Stick Man is back with a vengeance, in shorts, no less! Be prepared to whine and weep and shake your puny fists at the Curling Gods like you 'ain't never done did before! Cheers, Patrizio!

I am looking forward to seeing your mad skills!Perhaps you and Randall should be on the "all shorts" team together. Short shorts would be best.
-s

Hi again, Stevalimo and NN, et al!

I plan to wear just my padded bike underwear. Is that short enough? If Jason would agree to be Lead, I'd be pleased to be Mate, with NN as Skip and perhaps Flamin' as Second, muttering to herself, all the while: "I should be Skip! I'm going to tell him that I should be Skip!" Sounds like a Dream/Nightmare Team to me!!!

Patrick, well *I'm* not personally that busy. There is a lot of activity around me, but I'm only required to "pitch in and help" when everyone else is busy or when Cindi is not here. She did have the day off today but the harvest crew also took a day off because of the extreme heat and the decision of waiting another day for the sugar/acid ratio. Looks like they will begin picking again tomorrow and more on Friday. Most likely will take the weekend off.

For me, personally, I'm headed to my sister's place in southern CA (Irvine) as her only daughter and my only niece is getting married on Saturday. She is but 23 years old (same as my youngest Susie) and we're all thinking she still is a bit young and definitely immature. But of course we are wishing her the best. Her husband to be is a U.S. Marine, stationed at Camp Pendleton. They met near there where niece Kristin works as a livestock manager at a horse riding summer/vacation camp for youngsters. She attended as a camper when she was younger and then took on a job tending to the farm animals about 5 years ago. She is a city girl with a hankering to live on a farm, so this job was the perfect thing for her. Both my daughters will be going down to the wedding and there will be other family members there, as well, so should be a fun weekend. Dave is not able to go because he does not want to be away during the height of the harvest season. He will miss all the fun!

On the way back from SoCA, I will be stopping in San Francisco to attend the last three baseball games played at ATT Park this year. As a Giants' fan, I am still hoping against hope that they may have a chance to get to the playoffs. With only 8 games to play and being 5.5 games behind, they'll have to win every game and their top competitors would have to lose almost every game...not too promising...but exciting and stressful to watch!

Anyway, that's all the news from here. Keep cycling!
best, Pat

Hi Pat!

Glad you are not too, too busy! Send some heat our way please!! Hope wedding goes well and that Giants make the playoffs. I guess Cactus will be rooting the other way!!!

Cheers, Patrizio! 

Hi Marcus!

Sorry I didn't say goodbye to you. I didn't realize you could take a tunnel to get back to bike route home. Given the fact that I had about 51-53K on my odometer, (I can't remember exactly), I would assume that you logged about 61-65K by time you were back on Neptune. Great ride. Thanks for joining us.

Weather has already started to deteriorate, as far as biking is concerned, so looks like Saturday and Sunday will be best days for a ride. On Saturday, Ray and I, (Whirlygig is playing in the Early Bird Squash Tournament all weekend), plan to ride out to Iona/Steveston, leaving around 8:00am, and have invited Big Al to join so us. You are more than welcome, as well, of course. However, Sunday might be better, given where you both live, (He is at 6450 Imperial), so I have suggested, (as an alternative to Saturday), that I'd be happy to meet at Marine Drive and Boundary, for example, and we could then ride along Kent, perhaps over Cambie Sky Train Bridge, to Iona Beach, if everyone felt up for something like that. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly.

Cheers, Il Conduttore!

No comments:

Post a Comment