Thursday 22 September 2011

IIDD, September 22nd

Mom's Birthday:  98 years old! Celebrated at Broadway Lodge between 2:00pm-4:00pm this afternoon!

Hope all are well this week....this is one of the masks in my office. It's beginning to feel like home here...everyone is lovely and I leave each day filled with absolute gratitude...love to all!

Ayn 


Hi Hallmark Goil!

Great picture BUT which person works for Hallmark!!! Glad things are working out so well! However, just try to stay "balanced" as you know how upset you can become if things don't necessarily go as one might expect or hope. (A trait your sister has certainly inherited from you!!!) Will the real Drama Queen please stand up!  Not to be negative but you are still honeymooning and at some point the dishes will have to be done, the  bed made, the laundry folded and the budget balanced. Bask in the love and continue to be filled with "absolute gratitude". Nothing wrong with that at all yet remain realistically prepared for other countervailing emotions and actions on the part of colleagues. Differences of opinion are healthy and not to be discounted. Don't take them personally, meaningful dialogue is constructive. Of course, I don't really need to tell you any of this but I seem to have been infected with the Flamin' Virus. Once afflicted, the sufferer is impelled to tell everyone what to do and how to lead their lives! Apparently only know cure is regular doses of expensive single malt!!!

A few hours ago came back from Broadway Lodge where we celebrated Sharktooth Annie's' 98th!  It went extremely well. Rest of residents quite enjoyed my rousing round of For She's A Jolly Good Fellow..., so much so that had to do it a second time! Usually I'm too loud but with this crowd one can't be loud enough!! While cake was being consumed, I gave a brief chronology of Mom's life and many people, (those capable of understanding what I was saying, of course), were very interested to hear some of the details of her near century's worth of being. (Bit sad, as it was quite apparent that the lucid ones, and even the individuals seemingly not aware, are virtually starved for stimulation, simple human contact of one sort or another.) Of course, I enjoyed "working the crowd" and telling them about various aspects of her schooling, her love of bridge, her reasonably exotic travels, (You might remeber that she and Fernando went to Yemen when she was 80!), not forgetting to mention her "perfect son", a phrase which, I need not tell anyone, has unhinged the rest of the my loving family and so-called friends from the first time she uttered it, a dinner, about ten years ago, I believe! Turned out that the lovely lady sitting right beside Mom today had trained as an RN at St Boniface Hospital in Winnipeg as well, although a decade or so later than Annie.

Cora Lee had picked up Alfred/Fernando and so it was terrific to have him there as well. Again, as most of you probably know, they met at Kits CC, playing bridge, in the very early '90's. He actually wanted to marry her but she would have none of it. Didn't want to take care of him in their old age! Anyway, very pleased with how things went. Staff were wonderful and had Mom looking quite lovely, with lipstick and even borrowed earrings and a necklace! Clothes and costume jewelry seem to "float" from one resident to another. Nobody seems overly fussed as most people literally can't remember what belongs to them anyway! Cora Lee had bought a number of attractive new tops, (blouse and a chemise), a poncho, (easier than a sweater to put on), and a pair of cosy, slip-on shoes.

Mom had no trouble at all eating a large helping of her cake, although I had to feed her. This is the case with all her meals now but she still retains a healthy appetite. Les, one of nurses we know quite well, mentioned that she had enjoyed a substantial breakfast that morning as he had fed her himself. I popped over before going to Costco to collect cake, to buzz her chin and upper lip so that she wouldn't run away to the circus to be The Bearded Lady of the Midway!

I just received my VIFF schedule and am very pleased with times I have been assigned volunteer shifts. Given days and times I have to work, I think I'll have ample opportunity to see many of the screenings over the course of the festival, from September 29th-Ocober 14th. Few days later, October 18th, we'll both be involved with VIWF, until October 22nd or 23rd. Busy times ahead.

Furthermore, we payed for our air fare, over phone, to Champagne Charlie and O Susanna, this morning. Have finally finalized itinerary: Leave on March 5th for Hong Kong, (five nights), Australia, (March 12th-May 11th), and Japan, (May 12-31st), traveling with Flamin' and Sarge, if I've recovered from The Flamin' Virus by then! Now, only have to figure out how to pay!!!

Fondestos and Cheers, Dad/Patrizio!
















Advice duly note!

Great pics of Grandma Dunn...you're still her perfect boy
 
Hi Tinsel Town!

More advice: Watch your spelling! "Advice duly note!" Patrizio "The Poifect Sun and Grammarian!" Love, Dad!
 


Hi Patrick,

Thanks again for volunteering! Your shifts are at Pacific Cinematheque.

Here is your schedule:

Thursday 29th September  1215 - 1715
Friday 30th September 0945 - 1445
Saturday 1st October  0945 - 1445
Thursday 6th October 1400 - 1900 
Saturday 8th October 0945 - 1445
Friday 14th October 0945 - 1445

Please confirm that you are able to make these shifts as soon as possible.

I look forward to seeing you at the volunteer meeting on Sept 28th, at Empire Granville, 7pm.
Cheers, iulia Manolescu

Hi iulia!

Thanks for sending along my schedule. I'm available for each and every shift. Thanks. I look forward to meeting you in person at the volunteer meeting on Sept 28th, at Empire Granville, 7pm. Thanks again and Cheers, Patrizio!

Talk is cheap! Show us the goods to back up the banter!

Hi Noble Mon et al:

I accept the thrown gauntlet! Better come ready for bare-kneed combat, O Dastardly Craven Knave! Cheers, Patrizio

A pretty hard hitting follow up on today's CBC's "The Current". The newest edition which aired this morning Sept 22 should be available soon on this site so you can hear the latest about what a class action suit would look like. It also goes a little into the effects on adopted children from such situations. Sometimes the communication just starts to break down because the reality can't be accepted. They had such a response that they think they have seen only the tip of the iceberg.
http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2011/09/19/motherhood-interrupted/
 

Hi Brenda Louise!

I was just going to send you another email as I was listening to The Current, as I was sending a few messages! One can hardly believe what has come to light. As you say, probably "only the tip of the iceberg!"

Fond regards from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hello: Patrizio:

Today's show startled me because suddenly I remembered quite a few similar circumstances and episodes eerily similar. Even my son's attitudes are brought into the light for me. I just wrote and thanked them for the program.
Exciting times for you in the Spring. We plan to go next November if my sister is settled by then. I just got an email from her in Valencia. B


Hi Brenda Louise!

Glad that The Current's remarkable program has been so cathartic and restorative. Am very impressed with Picasso's bird back-pack! Perhaps I could take him riding when next in Kamloops and he can ask passers bye; "Would you like a strawberry?" Cheers, Patrizio!
 

Pat,

    Thought you might have an interest in some of this dialogue from my friend in Hertford near London. It's quite technical and will take me some time to absorb.
    Hope your mom has a good day on her 98th.
Ray

Ray

Suddenly realised!  Around the town recently, with his superb, 10 Sprocket cassette/twin front chainwheel, I've seen and talked to Don Gates who I knew well in Rib Vale days.
The straight handlebarred town bike of his is SO light you wouldn't believe it.
Hubs, tyres, rims so importing for reducing friction are "class"; he even has carbon fibre forks.
He has a modern saddle but his old Carradice saddlebag; that brings back memories!

When Don was a bank manager in Southgate, London, he used to cycle the 16 miles each way journey every day rain, hail, maybe not snow, or blow.  Keen cyclist or not!?!?!?  Yes, he raced too.

He's a bit old than me by a year or two and exhibits the arthritic tendencies of many who have only used cycling or swimming as their main exercise. (Hope S is not hopping up and down at this assertion. They are claims I've read in cycling and swimming publications rather than in "The Lancet"!).  The point of this comment is to explain why, to slightly paraphrase his words, he can't push big gears any more.

So I rang him yesterday to get his practical take on why he'd gone for 10 Sprocket Cassettes and Double Chainwheels. He uses this arrangement on all three bikes.  Being a bean counter rather than a mechanic (more like me) he just said they are better. 

My interpretation is that the 2 + 10 (or nowadays 2 + 11) arrangement is a) a somewhat lighter than 3 + 7, 8, or 9

The "2+" arrangements are lighter because the sprockets are slimmer (less metal).
The chains are slimmer to be more flexible  but in turn they will be lighter than a conventional chain (less metal).

If you look at the first attachement:
I used Don's sizes for his top and bottom sprockets and for his chainwheels. 
I guessed two arrangements of intermediate sprockets.  You can't go for wrong as there's not much scope to change the "stepping".

You can see the actual gear sizes and the percentage differences for each chainring separately.
I used two slightlly different variations here which are shown one above the other.

Then, on the right hand side, I did the ascending/descending order of gears using both chainweels.
You can see there are a few overlaps.
You can see how you might go through all sprockets on one chainwheel before moving to the other chainwheel (albeit chainging sprockets at (almost) the same time.

Rib Vale is at the bottom of a hill, you may recall.
So Don starts off with the small chainwheel and only goes to the large chainwheel when he is spinning too fast.
Conversely, you could start with the large chainwheel if circumstances where different.


The second attachment is the gearing for my three bikes
You can see the high 80s/low90s similarity between Don and me for top gear.
Neither of us can push big gears any more!!

On the 5 + 2 arrangement with the Jack Taylor on the rollers, you can see I use both chainwheels on all 5 sprockets.
The pattern of lever movements is very consistent and I like this best of all three although the range is not as great as my other bikes.
Even though the chain is wide (an so not very flexible), it doesn't cause probelms because
the anglular change is not great with 5 sprockets and
normally you don't need to run L(arge) chainring with the large sprocket (and vv S(mall) chainring with small sprocket for very long.

On the 3 + 7 (Rock SE that you rode) you can see
I only use 4 sprockets per chainwheel

On the 3 + 9 (MO which I keep in Germany) I use
4 sprockets with the large and small chainwheels
6 sprockets with the middle chainwheel.

In my "deliberations" I have found a few web links (reproduced below) which I think may interest.

I've copy this email to Ken so he can pick the eyes out of it!
Seriously, though, all contributions - especially from Ken - welcome!

I swear that these are my last unsolicited comments on gear ratios and gear trains

Jim

Cycling-secrets.com
information@cycling-secrets.com

Art’s cycles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exU6Mj-hIXE
bike size. Geeky but good. Not sure why you need to wear a leotard to get your bike size!


Hi Raymundo!

Speaking of riding, thanks for forwarding all the fascinating bike info! I have just enrolled in an advanced Physics course, online with MIT, and once I've completed it I'm sure I'll be able to decipher/understand all the ratios!!! Some good websites from the looks of it, as well.

Glad Saturday works for everyone for dinner. Around 6:00pm or so. We can confirm over next day or so but I assume that will be fine for you and your crew. We also need to make plans for morning ride. I trust you can arrange it so that you can drop me off at The Island Inn just as Sylvia and her brother and sister-in-law are walking onto patio! Revenge is Sweet! Cheers, Patrizio!
 
Patrick,

Please contact Sandra as soon as possible, or email her if you can help with delivery of Program Guides to Chapters locations throughout the lower mainland.
Many thanks, and our apologies for the short notice!!


Hi Patrick,

No worries! It was a specific Chapters distribution that has pretty much
been taken care of.

But a huge thank you for being willing to jump in and take it on. Next time
hopefully!

Regards, Sandra


Hi Sandra!

Had just returned from celebrating Mom's 98th when I received message. That is why I didn't reply earlier. Glad things worked out. Cheers, Patrizio!


Pat,


Great ride yesterday – thanks. I have not heard if Mark made home safely.  

Please wish Annie our best on her 98th year.

I will not be available to ride until at least Sunday – post tournament – more likely Monday. Forecast for Monday looks more hopeful than other days.

W

Hi Whirlissimo and Marcus Aurelius!

I just received my VIFF schedule and there isn't a conflict with bridge on October 8th as my shift is from 9:45-14:45. Let us know what we can contribute, closer to the date.

Let me know about Sunday/Monday. As I already mentioned to Marcus, (If he ever returned! "No, he's the man who never returned. He will ride forever on the bike routes of Seymour. He's the man who never returned!!!"), Robo Ray and I are planning a jaunt to Iona on Saturday, weather permitting.

Buona Fortuna with Oily Boid! Cheers, Il Conduttore!



Hi Patrick,

We’ve booked the air for you! Will send info later.

Below is the cancellation & interruption insurance we issued for your upcoming trip. You do not have to print off the attached policy as you will also get it in the mail from RBC Insurance.

Thanks, Charlie

Hi Champagne and O Susannah!

Thanks very much for taking our money! Don't find many friends who are so eager to help!!! Seriously, thank you both for everything. Much appreciated indeed!!!

Hi Wayne, Michelle, Corinne and Patrick,

I received your email this morning and for some reason it has disappeared after I read it on my phone as did a number of other emails. Oh the joys of a digital world. Consequently I was not quite sure what email address to use so I have collected a reasonable cross section in the hope that one of them will work. I seem to remember that you were targeting some where between the 17 March and early April to be in Oz.  It won’t matter what the date is, you are all welcome to stay at our place for as long as you need in Brisbane.  I will polish the bikes and clean the Kayaks and if you have any particular things you want to have a look at I will be happy to play tourist information guide or make some arrangements.

So if you could resend the email of this morning I will then have the details I need.

Claire and I just got back from UK and Paris yesterday so we are still trying to get our heads together.  We did have a good time and even managed to scatter her parents ashes in a place called St Albans where her mum grew up and have put in place in the local park a memorial bench for the enjoyment of those that visit the park.  Otherwise I am a bit over London and Paris though the purpose was to show Claire’s daughter Fiona and her nephew Sam around and that seems to have worked quite well.  On the up side we did finally get to the night zoo in Singapore it has taken 6 visits to Singapore to get to see it and we finally have. We are now going to focus on more energetic tourist ideas including Komodo dragons, a 7 day kayaking tour to Komodo Island, some more cycling in Europe and perhaps even a bare boat charter in the Greek Islands now all we need is the cash and the time. We were thinking of a round the world tour maybe next year depending on jobs and the global financial issues currently befalling the investment market

We are both looking forward to catching up with you all next year.

Cheers Greg and Claire

Hi Greg and Claire!

Wonderful to hear from you and know that we will be relocating to Brisbane to live with you, permanently! Seriously, thanks again for welcoming us. In fact, only this morning we payed for our air fare, over phone, to Champagne Charlie and O Susanna, our travel agents. Had finally finalized itinerary: Leave on March 5th for Hong Kong, (five nights), Australia, (March 12th-May 11th), and Japan, (May 12-31st), traveling in Oz with Flamin' and Sarge. Now, like you and Claire, only have to figure out how to pay!!! Will be in touch as soon as we have ironed out details of when we will come knocking on your door, so please polish those bikes as have had some grand rides, of late!

Cheers, Patrizio! 
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment