Wednesday 22 June 2011

IIDD, June 21st

Hello Walla Walla!

Trust this note finds you both well. Busy time here, once back, as were were on the road from June 16th, 2010, until October 23rd, (drove across Canada and then flew to Europe for three months), and then again from December 16th to March 22nd, (2011), drove to LA and after Christmas continued to Mexico, then returned via San Antonio, Texas/LA. Embarrassed to say but still going through much of our accumulated mail, trying to catch up on long overdue correspondence. Consequently, I wanted to send along an email to thank you for your lovely, lovely Christmas card, (I assume made by Tricia in her studio!), and wishes, and simply catch up.

Europe, (London, Stockholm, Berlin, Amsterdam, Brugge, Chabeuill, (south of Lyon at home of friends for a week), with Flamin' and Sarge, then together for two weeks on a canal boat on the Canal de Nivernais, then to Berne and finally an apartment in Paris for a week. F/S back to Vancouver, we to London for a few days and then to Dublin for a week. Back to London to fly to Toronto on October 15th. Drove back to Vancouver, stopping to see Clara/Dusty in Falcon. Had started trip there to celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary. Ayn and Los Horridos flew up from LA, Chloë from Vancouver. Wonderful family affair, as you can imagine.

Mexico was one of best hols we have ever had. Rented a very comfortable house, three bedrooms, in Guayabitos, small town on coast, 63K north of Puerta Vallarta. Clare and Dusty came for January, other friends and relatives over duration of our stay. Lived like royalty given our $CDN. Up north to see friends from university days who now live in Lake Chapala, at beginning of March, then to San Miguel de Allende and then to San Antone to stay with friends, (Randy is a former boarder!), there for almost a week. So, no excuses for late reply, but plenty of reasons!

Will be spending the summer here for first time in two years. Looking forward to it if it ever warms up! Nancy and David, from Berkeley, arrive on July 6th for two weeks. Will spend the weekend, 8th-11th, in Okanagan, wine tasting, along with Flamin' and Sarge. Following weekend is Vancouver Folk Festival and all six of us will attend. Mid-week, N/D will take ferry to Nanaimo to spend a few days with Grogg/Lurchesca who now live in Parksville, about 20K north of there.

In early August, two former Swiss boarders, sisters, Fabienne and Ursula, together with a friend we've never met, will stay for a week. In between, we are trying to paint our patio deck and refinish some of lawn furniture Sharktooth Annie is now in a wheelchair most of the time. I take her for strolls around Granville Island. She is in pretty good shape, aside for almost no meaningful speech, given that she will be 98 in September! Chloë is staying in the Annexe, courtesy of her grandparents, while they are in Falcon, but Cora Lee is determined that she have her own place come November! She has been living with us for almost two years, in guest bedroom when not next door. For my part, I have been urging de-de-nesting for years!


Hi Beth and Ralph!

Paul asked me to contact you regarding the malt tasting. I have attached directions for finding our place but if you stay at the Granville Island Hotel, then you will just walk over. I can provide directions if you decide to do that.

With respect to the malt tasting, in the past, everyone contributes a bottle and takes home what is left
at the end of the evening, sometimes horse trading. With you, alone, we have eleven single malts. I think that is more than enough. However, if Ralph is a serious taster and would like to sit at the tasting table with an array of malts before him, then I suggest his contribution, (bottle costs vary from approximately $65-$120), based on average cost, go towards the expense of renting glasses. If he is not as serious as you, about malt, much like my wife, Cora Lee, then he, (and CL!), can sip from your array. Not a big deal, BUT if he is keen to bring a bottle, then that is fine as well. (Perhaps you will have others staying in your room at GIH!) We will simply adjust formatting of place mats. Let me know your collective thoughts and we will plan accordingly.

Not sure where you purchase your hootch but Legacy, a new private liquor store in Olympic Village, has a wonderful, wonderful selection. Below, find an earlier, now modified, email:

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, wherever you are!

Trust everyone is well. Since Friday, July 22nd is fast approaching, I'd like those of you, not yet committed, (MOST), to do so! As I have already mentioned, I propose ten bottles, two from each of the following regions: Islay, non-Islay islands, Highlands, Speyside and Lowlands. This will give a bit of an overview of different tastes and styles across the country. With respect to hootch, please indicate bottle's pedigree: size, % alcohol, cost, etc. Furthermore, please select food dish you'd like to bring.

An email to group, announcing both malt and fodder, you elect to bring, will help everyone choose/decide.

Paolo will be doing place mats, I'll handle renting glasses. (Based on these costs there will be a small levy, $5 in past, payable before tasting commences, or the surrender of passports!) Will probably need at least 110 and probably closer to 120-130, to accommodate the non-carded, non tasters! So far there are eleven confirmed tasters, (Patrizio, Paolo, Beth, Per, Kjell, Jim, Al, Dave, Jugos Dom Pedro, Whirlygig, Sarge), most, I assume, with significant others who will attend. Will we need riot control?

As well, I'm planning to invite Hal Wake, (VIWF and, as well, A Dram Come True), to show him how the experts do it! (I chatted with him about this at recent VIWF reception.) If he comes, he'll have Observer Status so no necessity to supply a bottle.

Menu:

Mains: Cora Lee/Patrizio, bbq, yet to be determined so please state/suggest allergies, ideological preferences, lunatic fringe recipes, etc.

Appetizers:

Salads:

Vegetables:

Desserts:

Malts:

1) Islay:

2) Islay:

3) Non-Islay Islay:

4) Non-Islay Islay:

5) Highlands:

6) Highlands:

7) Speyside:

8) Speyside:

9) Lowlands: Kjell, Auchentoshan, Triple Wood

10) Lowlands: Glen Kinchie, Whirlygig

11) Mystery Malt: Per

Delighted you both will join tasting! Cheers, Patrizio!


Ciao Elizabetta!

Lei ha ragione, sia sul cibo e del malto! Rispetto al tempo, in qualsiasi momento dopo sei andrà bene! Buona fortuna con la ricerca del Scotch single malt. Evviva! Patrizio!


Hi Folks,

How are things? As always Patrick, you seem to be soooo busy - biking here and there andnot to mention donning your barbeque hat followed by rubber gloves for clean up. Where do you get your energy?Had a good visit with A.M. and she was so pleased that you had called her for her birthday. This time I decided that I would buy her food for a birthday gift. I know that she can afford it but I bought things that I know she would not buy for herself. Waffles, lemon meringue pie,president choice cookies, mimi frozen pizzas, chocolate covered acai berries ect.This should keep her going for awhile. I like to take her out for pizza and for her birthday I bought kentucky fried chicken and all the trimmings. Chineese is also another good one.My parents would always take her out but now no one does. I think I told you that a finally bought a house? It is only 2 blocks from where I am now. A single dwelling backing on to a park which is what I wanted. My possession date is July 20 and my moving in day is the 27th. This way I can move at my leisure, have a painter come etc.My big news is that I am going to Ireland in mid september with a girlfriend. Should be exciting andbecause I am not a beer drinker I had better brush up on my Irish Mist drinking.Have a good day. Simone!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment