Friday 24 June 2011

IIDD, June 24th

Hi Big Molly!

Yes, food Chloƫ and CL prepared was both delicious and delovely!

Your Filipino bbq sounds scrumptious. I think we may have had some at some point, at your place, if I remember correctly. I presume this would this be an appetizer? Reason I ask is that Cora Lee and I will be doing a bbq as well, probably a range of sausages.

With respect to malt, I'm more than happy to suggest something. If you have time, perhaps we could arrange to meet at Legacy, in the Olympic Village, over the next little while and then we could scan the shelves and you could make a decision, based on their array and some of my suggestions. If you are too busy for that, (and I certainly understand), then I'll be happy to choose for one of the categories I have suggested. If I choose for you, I'll probably wait until I hear back from others and then I can fill in any gaps. Not a big deal, either way, but if you can see your way to visit Legacy, I think you'd enjoy seeing store and chatting with some of the very knowledgeable staff. Perhaps we could arrange a ride at the same time, together with a bite to eat or a gelato at Mario's, just down the way! Anyway, let me know what you think and what your schedule might allow over the next few weeks.

Have been pretty pleased with my rides of late. Had a very pleasant ride out to Steveston on Wednesday. I accompanied Barnacle Bill, (Ragin' Bull/Branko Peric), as he had to return his access pass to the marina where he had spent the last three weeks working on his boat while it was in dry dock there. Almost perfect day so ride was very pleasant. We took the UBC/S W Marine Drive route and had 40K on odometer by time we reached marina. After returning access card, we cycled into Steveston itself and enjoyed java at Bean and Beyond. I had a capuccino and white chocolate/cherry biscotti and enjoyed both very much.

Refreshed and energized, we set off for home, taking #6 Road, CSTB and Cambie Street to 8th and Cambie where Ragin's stopped at the liquor store to purchase a six pack of Corona. I dipsy-doodled and met him under the Cambie Street Bridge, near the Seawall, five minutes later. We rode back to the marina where he docks The Inland Passage and I waved goodbye. Now that he is back in our neck of the woods, he'd like to be part of our regular riding group.

I continued on to our place and then headed back towards Science World as I wanted to log 100K. By time I was close to end of False Creek I had 85K on odometer so I continued on around north side of False Creek all the way to the inuksuk at English Bay. Turned around there and made my way home for 101K by time I was back at Harbour Terrace. Found Cora Lee watching The Young and the Restless! I had a shower and as soon as her soap was over she started working on deck furniture. She has, autocratically, decided to paint the teak. I am opposed to this but there is no rational argument possible with The Sisterhood! Even Maggie is on her side and is using the tip of her tail to paint the hard to get at places on the furniture!

On Thursday, Whirlygig, Barnacle Branko and I cycled out to UBC to do a variation of the S W Marine/Musqueam Reserve Loop and then back to 16th and along it to Imperial. I said goodbye to lads just past St George's, (Whirlygig was picking up Tia, his girlfriend's 8year old daughter from school, QE Annexe, and Ragin' wanted to head home with them, tired from ride of day before.), and continued down Crown and back to S W Marine Drive, UBC and home. When I stopped at the liquor store on Alma and 4th I had 61K on odometer. Wanted to buy a bottle of Pastis, (really enjoy it before dinner ever since I started having it in France this last trip), as well as go next door to the Buy-Low to pick up two bottles of Rose's Lime Cordial, (half the price of same product at Safeway!), a dash of which I add to the water in my camel pack. Had 72K on odometer, with a bit of dipsy-doodling around Kits Point, when I pulled into garage at Harbour Terrace.

This morning, Whirlygig and I circumcycled Stanley Park. Left, from our place, at 7:30am and although it was coolish, really enjoyed the ride at that time of day. Few people about, either on the False Creek Seawall or on seawall around park itself. A few joggers, the odd walker and the city and seascapes belonged to us alone. At one point, the cloud formation was remarkable. Almost like some of the Sunday School illustrations I remember as a child, with shafts of light piercing dark, ominous, foreboding sky.

Just as we reached our place, heavens opened and it rained fairly heavily. I had planned to go on out to UBC but since I had become relatively wet, I decided I would just accompany Whirlygig to just past Kits Pool, close to his turn-off for home, and go back home myself. I don't really like to ride once I'm chilly as it isn't all that comfortable, obviously, and ride becomes a chore rather than a delight. At any rate, by time we were close to MacDonald, rain had stopped and I was feeling warmer so waved goodbye to Giorgio and kept on going out to UBC. In spite of the fairly stiff head wind, I enjoyed trek and "pushed' myself up Foreshore Hill and then did a bit of dipsy-doodling to bring odometer up to 43K. Knew that I'd have at least 55K in the bag by time I was home so made for Harbour Terrace.

With wind, now at my back, I whistled along and about half way along Spanish Bank/Locarno stretch, (I can never remember which is which and where each begins), I was treated to a wonderful panorama. The turbulent weather, (one minute sun peaking through, next fairly heavy showers), sent a rain squall, almost smoke-like, across a glinting English Bay and the city and its skyline were completely obscured. As if someone had drawn a large white curtain across the bay. As the rain/smoke dissipated, the city re-emerged. Quite magical!

More dipsy-doodlage at Kits Point to give me 63K by time I was home so was pleased that I had persevered, if only to see Nature's stunning "make the city disappear" act. I'm sure there were probably a number of such mini or micro-squalls, across the city and surrounding areas as road out to UBC was virtually dry, whereas near GI, there was water streaming in the gutters for a short time.

Fondestos and Cheers, Patrice!

PS: In case I haven't already invited you, please consider joining us on Canada Day, if free and interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment