Monday 6 June 2011

IIDD, June 5th

Hi again, Brenda Louise!

Belated Happy Birthday! Hip Hip Hooray! Pleased that things have "normalized" somewhat , with Ian and his family. Wonderful beginning!

Last evening, saw first two periods of Game 2 but had to go out shortly after start of Third Period. Cora Lee and I attended a remarkable concert at Trinity Church, (This is the congregation that she has been involved with for many years.), put on by Koncert Kontinuum, a group that Katy Hedalen, who sings, (soprano), in church choir, founded with a number of friends: Karen Lee- Morland, piano/vocals; Yuel Yawney, violin; Stefan Hintersteininger, cello/arranger; Chris Harvey, drums/vocal; and Joseph Blood, vocals/guitar. Entitled The Sound of Silence, it featured the songs of Simon & Garfunkel as well as some of the short works of Franz Schuber. Simply amazing performances, on all levels. Think I enjoyed the classical pieces almost more than the S/G works, although most were some of my favourite early songs: The Boxer, Cecelia, Mrs. Robinson, Bridge Over Troubled Water. The piano duets and the violin/cello interplay were incredibly powerful, moving, almost mesmerizing at times. This by way of saying that we were in our seats as the third period was underway, Canucks down 1/2, when we left our place. After the fifth work, Piano Trio No. 2 in E-flat Major, someone in audience shouted out "Canucks won!" Church erupted! Didn't find out details until Intermission but was delighted, of course, to hear the winning result. Almost glad were weren't able to watch as I'm sure it was a nail-biter!

I'm reading Philip Kerr's If The Dead Rise Not, Bernie Gunther mystery, set in Berlin in 1934. Do you know this series? If not, I suggest you start with Berlin Noir: March Violets, The Pale Criminal, A German Requiem. This trilogy sets the stage for Bernie. Subsequent novels explore later and earlier periods in his life. Next book for Book Club is martin Amis' The Pregnant Widow. Just read a few chapters but like it so far, quite "English" in a certain witty, sharply intelligent, literary way that I find most appealing, characters sparring verbally, with barbed thrusts and ironic parries.

Welcome to Mac World with your iPhone! Flamin' just received an iPad II for her birthday. We both bought first iPad for our trip to Europe last year. Since Cora Lee is using mine, now, for her eBooks and newspaper/magazine downloads, I think I'll probably buy latest model for or planned trip to Australia/Japan next March-May. More details when we concretize trip.

Banacle Man is Ragin' Bull, Branko Peric, friend who lives on his boat, The Inside Passage, docked at marina down the way from us. He moved boat to Steveston last week to have it put in dry dock for maintenance/repairs. Yesterday morning, cycled out there again, with four friends, but no sign of Barnacle Branko. He was either still sleeping or having breakfast at Fisherman's Cafe, nearbye. Continued on our regular route and made our way back, eventually, towards UBC, losing Whirlygig near 37th and Cypress as he made for home with 45K on odometer. Rod, Raymundo and I cycled along Marine Drive and up through Wesbrook Village, then east along 16th to Imperial.

Ray continued along 16th, making for his place while Rod and I headed down Imperial. At 37th and Crown, Rod waved goodbye and I made for Marine again. Once there I noticed that my odometer had stopped at 61.98K. Initially, I assumed that the battery might have died but upon sober reflection I realized that when Rod and I had come to Crown and 34th, I had turned right and brushed his front wheel. I thought he knew we were turning but he didn't realize we had reached intersection in question and we narrowly avoided what could have been a nasty collision. At any rate, I continued on, making my way back towards Wesbrook Village. Had a strong head wind so decided I'd get that part of ride over before I stopped to adjust odometer magnet on wheel spoke which I presumed had been jostled out of range of transmitter on right fork. On the street which abuts the Endowment Lands, stopped by a massive stump as I decided I'd take advantage of cover it provided to empty my full bladder! Feeling much more comfortable, I twisted magnet closer to transmitter, I was back online and ready to ride forever, not having to grit my teeth every time I went over a bump in the road!

As I wanted to log at least 100K, I decided to retrace my steps and calculate distance traversed between sideswipe and stop to reset odometer/relieve myself, in order to have an exact count. Turned out to be almost exactly 6K and by time I had completed my third loop I was well on my way to my goal. Psychologically, I find it very helpful to have "money in the bank", so to speak. I proceeded to follow remainder of what has become a regular route, of late, around UBC and neighbouring thoroughfares, to have 90K on odometer by time I started down Foreshore Hill, (2K from top to bottom), knowing then that I would have done 108K, (2K for descent, 10K from UBC to Harbour Terrace, plus "unclocked" 6K), by time I was finished. As it turned out, I logged 109K witht he help of a little dipsy-doodling en route! More than please with the outing, I rinsed out my camel pack, ate a banana and lay down to help Bernie solve his latest murder and dozed off for a very pleasant nap, a purring cat atop my chest!

Chloƫ just left to drive Pierre back to Everett. Cora Lee is at church. Bit of a goodbye party, after service, as current minister is leaving. Church will be closing in two years and Sally resigned in order to allow an interim minister to explore options for amalgamation with another west side congregation.Will finish a few more messages and then head out for a short, "stretch" ride. Plan to take Mom out for a stroll, in her wheelchair, around Seawall into Granville Island, as it is such a lovely day, when I return. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!


No comments:

Post a Comment