Monday 14 November 2011

IIDD, Nov 14th

Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day. -A. A. Milne author (1882-1956) 


"More than 50,000 convicted felons were ... uprooted from their families and friends in Great Britain between 1718 and 1775 and forced to travel overseas to begin new lives as indentured servants in the American colonies. The number of convicts who made this trip was not insignificant. During these years, one out of every four British immigrants who landed in America was a convict."

"Convict transportation adds new dimensions to popular notions of im- migration to early America that go beyond Pilgrims and brave men crossing the Atlantic in search of religious freedom and unlimited opportunity in a new, untamed land. Most of the people transported to America were ... petty criminals who came out of the ranks of the destitute poor. In fact, most people who came to America during this time arrived under similar circumstances as Bell's, whether they were a convict or not. Between 1700 and 1775, a total of 585,800 immigrants arrived in the 13 colonies from all over the world. About 52,200 of these immigrants were convicts and prisoners (9%). Slaves by far constituted the largest group (278,400; 47%), followed by people arriving with their freedom (151,600; 26%) and indentured servants (96,600; 18%). Note that almost three-quarters of all the people arriving in the American colonies during this time period did so without their freedom." 


Bound with an Iron Chain: The Untold Story of How the British Transported 50,000 Convicts to Colonial America
by Anthony Vaver by Pickpocket Publishing, 2011
 





Thanks, Patrick. Yes, those paintings were all done in Austin, Texas. Wonderful place. Martha. 


NowJust flew over our place. Wayne

Marvin Angelo Mercado
Marvin Angelo Mercado updated his status: "Awesome win for the Seahawks... And thanks to nexus we skipped a 3 hour border wait!!"
P,

I am unable to ride on Monday -- could ride Tuesday after the 8:30 MT drop
at Jericho.

Let me know whatcha got planned. W


Hi Patrick,

Tia and I are both dealing with sniffles and coughing, Tia especially has a stuffy nose. However, we did manage to go to the NHL game last night. It was more of a thrill for me to look at her and take in her beaming smile, she was so excited to be at the game and so very close to her beloved #1 (even if people in the audience are still booing him). We were on level 100, section 109, row 11 - excellent seats. See you soon, Kerry
 


Hi Hockey Fans!

Great snap! Glad you were able to attend game in spite of sniffles, coughs and stuffy noses. Wondering if your probiscii were as as colourful as Mya's? She is the eldest granddaughter of our close friends, Tina/Trevor, from Adelaide. Just received picture with last email. TNT will both be here in Jan/Feb to ski at Sun Peaks. Will stay with them when in Australia, March/April.

Weather, in case you are locked inside an office or classroom, is bright and blustery, wind gusting to over 70kph at moment. Forecast suggests the mini-hurricanes are supposed to die down closer to noon to 30kph so trust that is the case. If things do calm down, I'd like to cycle around Stanley Park, and then out to UBC. Certain to be whitecaps on English Bay and waves crashing into Seawall. Will have to be more than vigilant as fallen leaves often blanket roads,
(Had to be careful yesterday when Robo Ray and I were along Marine Drive, past 16th, as shoulder was slick with leaves in many spots. "Where was the street sweeping machine from Seawall, [doing nothing much as no leaves to speak of], when we needed it?" I asked Raymundo!), and bike paths and can be extremely slippery and treacherous when rain sodden, particularly on corners and downhill stretches. Furthermore, as we embittered cycling vets know, all too well, battling such headwinds is no easy chore. Almost like running on the spot at times! Seems as if, no matter which direction one rides, wind is always buffeting one, with more than malevolent ferocity, rarely scudding one along, effortlessly, at breakneck speeds!

Chloë is trying to sleep, as I write, having been up around 5:00am. No bleeding, fortunately, but general throat discomfort. When I looked in Maggie was draped across her tummy and was purring like a small outboard. And then, just a few minutes ago, had a call from Chloë to bring her the cat scissors. We can only clip a few nails at a time, if lucky, when she is groggy with sleep, usually after she has eaten, of course! No yowls so far so hope Chloë has managed to snip a few needles!

Almost forgot, finally watched Down By Law last night and enjoyed it immensely. Wonderful, wonderful film! Still laugh out loud when I think about some some of "Bob's" inadvertently uproarious lines in the incongruous contexts! Should be required viewing for all ESL students and their teachers! Thanks for letting me know about this gem!

Tuesday, at moment, looks dry until the evening, so am wondering if you, Giggenheimer, would be up for Deep Cove, via Adanac and Second Narrows? I have to collect Cora Lee's parents at YVR at 10:00am so I probably wouldn't be able to leave The Heartbreak Terrace Parkade until around 11:00am-11:30am at earliest. If Deep Cove won't work, as a result, even SP and up/over Lions Gate/UBC is still a possibility, or Central Valley Greenway to make connection with Burnaboids. Let me know your thoughts and we can let peleton know what to expect! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Patrick Dunn,   pdunn@interchange.ubc.ca Edradour Cask Strength Warrabilla Durif Dailuaine 16 Caol Ila Cask Strength



Hi Patrick,

Colourful she is and too cute for words. Nice that your friends can enjoy Sun Peaks - it is a spectacular place to stay, like a mini Whistler.

You had me on the edge of my seat with worry about Cholë, I'm so glad she is okay.

I love the movie Down by Law, it would be a good one to rent again. k


Hi Kerry and MGM mogul!

Appreciate your concern about Chloë.  Just had a fire alarm here. Ringing was unbelievably loud but Chloë and Maggie slept through it! We have become a bit blasé about such alarms as we feel, rightly or not, that we can always "escape" building via patio should it not be a false alarm!

You might wish to quiz Whirlygig on his DVD collection as Down By Law is his! Or does he charge a rental fee? If so, charge him for popcorn!! Cheers, Patrizio!
 


 Hi Patrice,

You're too kind!, I have to admit that I do have had an accident prone
gene in the makeup and while it was very apparent in my youth it has more or
less gone into hiding but something will occaisionally crop up to remind me
that it is there, haha!.

That must have been scary about Chloe! coughing up blood is unnerving to
say the least. Glad to hear it's nothing to bad and hope she mends up fast.

As much as I would like to ride today I think I'll have to pass on a really
long one anyway as I have a ton of stuff to catch up on.I would love to get
out for a while though and was thinking I'd maybe head up to North Burnaby
to get my haircut. I don't know if maybe that works into your plans or not?.
I am at home so give me a call and let me know what you're up to. Cheers, Al


 Hi Big Al et al!

Further to our chat this morning, Tuesday, at moment, still supposed to be dry until the evening, so am wondering if you and Marcus would be up for Deep Cove, via Adanac and Second Narrows? I have to collect Cora Lee's parents at YVR at 10:00am so I probably wouldn't be able to leave The Heartbreak Terrace Parkade until around 11:00am-11:30am at earliest. If Deep Cove won't work, as a result, even SP and up/over Lions Gate/UBC is still a possibility, or Central Valley Greenway to make connection with you lot, The Burnaboids. Let me know your thoughts and we can let rest of peleton know what to expect!

Almost forgot, finally watched Down By Law, (lent by The Whirling Dervish!), last night and enjoyed it immensely. Wonderful, wonderful film! Do any of you know it? Still laugh out loud when I think about some some of "Bob's" inadvertently uproarious lines in the incongruous contexts! I simply adore Roberto Benigni. Should be required viewing for all ESL students and their teachers!

Cheers, Il Conduttore!


 Sunday evening reply from the Dry Creek Rancheria 

Hi Patrick, great to hear from you and to catch up on what's going on with you and yours. Sounds like you've all had (are having) a few medical issues, thankfully nothing sounds too serious. But they will all slow down your active lives. I hope all goes well and you will be completely mended and ready to move when it comes time for your big trip next March, which sounds fabulous by the way. It's wonderful and just amazing to me that you and Corinne can just take up and leave your world for a few months at a time. I like the idea of it and in another lifetime, may even enjoyed such a lifestyle myself. It sounds glamorous, exciting, educational and rewarding...what more can I say!

On the other end of the travel spectrum, things here on the farm are about the same. We just finished up a hectic (as always) and challenging harvest season. The weather wasn't the best for the grape harvest this year, but all in all, we didn't lose too many tons. In fact, we ended up making a late harvest Petite Sirah with some of the grapes that had rotted and shriveled up and which we were unable to use for a dry red wine. We shall see how this new experiment turns out. Picked with a 40% sugar content, the juice from the press this past Wednesday tasted fabulously sweet and delicious. The physical labor of this year's harvest has taken a bit of a toll on Dave and he's been hobbling around for a few days now complaining of leg pain...I'm sure it will pass in all good time.

Dave's mother is back in her home now and seemingly doing much better after 4 hospital visits in the past 3 months. I'm sure I probably mentioned this to you last time. She is almost on her own again, with just a caregiver for 4 hours a day. We're hoping all remains stable with her from now through the Thanksgiving holiday, which we are planning to celebrate at her house with the usual group of relatives (about 14 in all). Of course, she won't be doing any of the cooking this year. That will be a joint effort by all of the family members.

There was a lovely little article about Vancouver with a few photos in today's travel section of our Santa Rosa paper, so I'm going to read it and make note of all the great things to see and do when and if we ever make it up your way.

Have a great holiday and good luck with the surgery and attending to Corinne after her surgery. I hope Chloe is feeling better.

Best, Pat
PS Say hi to Tina and Trevor for me when you see them. I feel that I know them, even though we haven't met. Maybe one day.....


Hi Pat!

Congratulations on finishing the harvest! The Petite Sirah sounds wonderful. Trust it turns out to your satisfaction. Look forward to tasting it if so. Glad David's Mother is doing well. Your Thanksgiving sounds a jolly family time.

Thanks for best wishes with all our "ailments"! Chloë is trying to sleep, as I write, having been up around 5:00am. No bleeding, fortunately, but general throat discomfort. Maggie is draped across her tummy ans was purring like a small outboard a few minutes ago!

Weather today is bright and blustery, wind gusting to over 70kph/43.5mph, at moment. Forecast suggests the mini-hurricanes are supposed to die down closer to noon to 30kph/18mph, so trust that is the case. If things do calm down, I'd like to cycle around Stanley Park, (Is this one of photos in paper?), and then out to UBC. Certain to be whitecaps on English Bay and waves crashing into Seawall. Have to be quite vigilant at this time of year as fallen leaves often blanket roads and bike paths and can be extremely slippery and treacherous when rain sodden, particularly on corners and downhill stretches. Furthermore, battling such headwinds is no easy chore. Almost like running on the spot at times! Seems as if, no matter which direction one rides, wind is always buffeting one, with more than malevolent ferocity, rarely scudding one along.

Just had a call from Chloë to bring her the cat scissors. We can only clip a few nails at a time, if lucky, when she is groggy with sleep, usually after she has eaten, of course! No yowls so far so hope Chloë has managed to snip a few needles!

Have attached a few snaps Tina sent with last email. She is still quite involved with Girl Guides, according to her. Gather occasion was a Christmas pageant/parade of some kind. Jade, youngest, on left, and Mya, their granddaughters. Last is of Tia, daughter of Whirlygig, one of my regular riding companions, with her Mom, Kerry, (she took picture), at the Vancouver Canucks hockey game last night. I'm pleased to pass along your greetings to TNT, as I call them!

Trust David is on the mend. All the best. Cheers, Patrizio!


SOHO is very cosmopolitan, a hybrid of Chinese, western - lots antique
stores. Look at Google map; Hollywood rd and Cat street

Kowloon is very Chinese.


Hi again, Jim!

Thanks for suggestion and descriptions. However, since this is our first real experience in Asia, we are more interested in seeing things "Chinese", as you put it. I assume we will be able to walk or commute between neighbourhoods/districts, as in any other major city, without too, too much difficulty.

Still keen to know your thoughts on how best to travel from airport so any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hello, Patrick! Don't worry! I'm happy...
Takagaki Toshiko
Hello, Patrick!
Don't worry! I'm happy whenever I can be in touch with you.
Remember? I couldn't have written you for almost 2 years after my father died. But I always feel that you are very close to me.

It seems that you have been very busy time.
Is Chloe all right now?
And Corinne and you are expecting operations?
I'm very surprised to hear that.
But I'm sure all of you would get much much healthier after the operations!

So, finally you are ready to come to Japan!
I can't explain how excited we are to have you here!!

I'm already planning to have a party in Osaka when you come.
It would be very exciting!!

Are you visiting Izumi in Hokkaido? Can she show you around?
The following URL gives you some ideas what you can do in Hokkaido.

"Hokkaido Official Tourism Website"
http://www.facebook.com/l/BAQGjvGf5AQGO0NCdi4MPaJitfI5kf_OVEON57kKh4QM8lg/en.visit-hokkaido.jp/

I would be more than happy to plan and suggest for your trip!
If there is anything particular you would like to do and see in Japan,
please let me know.

You can stay with us and our relatives.
Also there are lots of nice typical Japanese hotels with hot springs.
I'll tell you more in details from now on.

Please say hello to Corinne, Chloe, Clara and Dusty for me.

Lots of hugs,
Toshiko
 Pat,
I'm not able to fit it in tomorrow as I have to be at the Jewish school
at 2. Will ride next available good weather day. Ray


Hi Ray!

Sorry that you can't join group. So far, not sure how many lads will be along.

Today, I waited until about 2:00pm, hoping that the hurricane force gales would abate somewhat. Had decided to ride around Stanley park and it was pretty tough slogging, particularly past the Aquatic Centre until I reached the fringes of the park itself. Once on the Seawall, going was quite pleasant so I determined to do an up-and-over. Just as I was rounding corner to "attack" grade leading to Causeway, I heard a car behind me and chap honked just as he was passing. Virtually no traffic although there just happened to be another car in the left-hand lane. I was out a tad in my lane as fringe was quite thick with leaves but he certainly had plenty of room if he'd been prepared to slow down for .05 seconds!

Anyway, thought I'd find ascent a bit tough as we've not done it much of late but was pleasantly surprised at how relatively easy it was. Guess it was a direct result of not having you half-wheeling me! Crossing bridge was fine, (although I didn't stand up on descent as I could feel the strong gusts), made the loop under bridge and was soon on sidewalk, heading back into town, zipping past three chock-a-block, stalled lanes of frustrated drivers waiting to gain access to rush hour bridge!

Unfortunately, my "zipping" stopped once I made my way onto bridge itself. I must say that I have never experienced such a forceful wind, at least not on the Lions Gate. Not even as strong as the tremendous gusts we experienced when crossing the even higher harbour bridge in Hobart. I literally was leaning a few degrees to my right in order to vector into the wall of wind blasting me to the left. Bit unnerving as there were a number of pedestrians and my progress was marked by zig-zags for most of the crossing. (I felt like a navy destroyer trying to outwit a U-Boat in the north Atlantic!) The wind would blow me left, I'd compensate and then another gust would push me back. Think I was so focused on not caroming off either railing that I didn't notice usually steady climb.

My ordeal was not over, by a long shot. After passing first support pillar I was jolted even further to the left, momentarily lulled by the calm in the lee of the pillar and then blasted as I emerged, once more into hurricane! Much like passing a semi on the highway, my bike and I wobbled crazily until I regained control. Wasn't really worried about being blown over railing onto bridge deck but certainly didn't want to crash into either railing. As I approached last pillar I made sure that there wasn't anyone standing to the right of it and passed it on that side so pressure of gale was constant. Once in the lee of Prospect Point gale abated considerably and it was smooth sailing, so to speak, from then on.

After I reached the playground I decided to do another turn around the Seawall but not an up-and-over as I'd had enough with dodging submarines for one day. Really glad I opted for another circumcycle as the city and mountains looked simply gorgeous, stunning really. Second Narrows was painted  a magnificent golden, reddish brown, if that makes sense! (I'm colour blind so I guess I'll have to take The Sisterhood along next time for exact tint and shade!) The North Shore Mountains were picture postcard perfect and even the huge piles of sulphur were more greenish yellow mounds of icing than anything else. Not many people about, certainly few bikes. Most of ambulators were armed with tripods and huge telephoto lenses trying to capture the magnificence of the late afternoon and its remarkable palette. I think I must have spoiled a number of shots as I whizzed between a few tourists and their landscape/vista of choice!

Further along, under the bridge, the wind was lying in wait but the flocks of whitecaps and the solid freighters outlined against the western sky took my mind off the Devil's Wind Tunnel and I pressed on, rewarded beyond belief, just as I passed Siwash Rock. The sun, a molten globe of stupendous orange with a canary yellow corona, blazing the clouds alight, was just setting over Point Grey. I watched, almost transfixed as it melted behind the trees of the campus, chuffed beyond belief at  my great good fortune.

By the time the last glimmer was gone, the wind was at my back and only a few waves exploded against the Seawall. Exhilarated, I bade good even to a masked marauder, fresh from inspecting the garbage cans near the Concession at Second Beach and decided for another round. Didn't have my watch on but I knew it had to be somewhere between 4:30pm-5:00pm by dimming light. Just before tunnel under road I switched on my light. Needed it as there was actually more oncoming bike traffic than on first two circlings. However, once under Georgia and past Rowing Club had Seawall almost to myself. Past a few joggers I'd passed on the other side of the park, just starting out, I assume. Wind was a bit less forceful on this round so ride was really very enjoyable. Don't think I've ever ridden around the park at this hour of the day, at this time of year and I must say it is actually a great time to do it. Again, hardly anyone about until I reached Science World and even then but a few families with strollers, mainly what looked like hard-core cycle-commuters. Did a few dispy-doodles around Olympic Village to push up odometer count and pulled into Heartbreak Terrace with 61.35K, (Had trouble seeing distance in the half-light of parking lot!), at 6:15pm, according to Chloë, once I was inside.

Had a steaming bowl of your potatoe/leek soup almost as soon as I had taken off my gear. Absolutely delicious so thank you so much. Would have liked to have had another but I received a stony glare from Chloë when I mentioned my intention!

Will keep an eye on forecast and let you know what rides may result. Cheers, Patrizio!



Hi again, Ray!

Meant to mention that I had another "terse" reply from Jim. Thought that you might get a chuckle from his business-like response!

Hi again, Jim!

Thanks for suggestion and descriptions. However, since this is our first real experience in Asia, we are more interested in seeing things "Chinese", as you put it. I assume we will be able to walk or commute between neighbourhoods/districts, as in any other major city, without too, too much difficulty.

Still keen to know your thoughts on how best to travel from airport so any suggestions would be welcome.

Weather here today is bright and blustery, wind gusting to over 70kph moment. Forecast suggests the mini-hurricanes are supposed to die down closer to noon to 30kph, so trust that is the case. If things do calm down, I'd like to cycle around Stanley Park and then out to UBC. Certain to be whitecaps on English Bay and waves crashing into Seawall. Have to be quite vigilant at this time of year as fallen leaves often blanket roads and bike paths and can be extremely slippery and treacherous when rain sodden, particularly on corners and downhill stretches. (Had to be careful yesterday when Robo Ray and I were along Marine Drive, past 16th, as shoulder was slick with leaves in many spots. "Where was the street sweeping machine from Seawall, [doing nothing much as no leaves to speak of], when we needed it?" I asked Raymundo!) Furthermore, battling such headwinds is no easy chore. Almost like running on the spot at times! Seems as if, no matter which direction one rides, wind is always buffeting one, with more than malevolent ferocity, rarely scudding one along, effortlessly, at breakneck speeds!

Cheers, Patrizio!

"Take train from airport to Kowloon then taxi."




George/Pat
    Sylvia took this from a book and made some adjustments. Optional - a little chopped ham or back bacon added. Pat - not sure whether George and I will allow you into the recipe club but I know you like to eat, so you're in.
                Ray



Hi Lads!

Thanks for recipe Raymundo. Guess your new moniker will be Recipe Ray instead of Robo Ray! No Knead Knucklehead will replace The Whirling Dervish. At this rate, if I do join club, I'll be Pastry Puff Patrizio and The Sisterhood, (Is this why Sylvia parted with recipe?), will have won! Have to go for a latte now, maybe even a chai latte! Cheers, Il Confettiere!




Pat,
    That's Jim Crowe! Don't take offense, he's the same with everyone. Usually responds quickly and briefly and I suspect he has a multitude of correspondence to attend to. Nice fellow once you get to know him.
    You did well to do that kind of distance in those conditions and  return home in one piece. Rode to the gym this morning and was very cold from such a short journey. Such a busy day - with gym, 5 hours of teaching, raking leaves, buying math equipment. Sylvia is preparing the kitchen for painting so I feel obligated to help with that tomorrow. Hope Chloe is better. Catch up with you soon.
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment