Sunday 20 November 2011

IIDD, Nov 20th

I met, not long ago, a young man who aspired to become a novelist. Knowing that I was in the profession, he asked me to tell him how he should set to work to realize his ambition. I did my best to explain. 'The first thing,' I said, 'is to buy quite a lot of paper, a bottle of ink, and a pen. After that you merely have to write.' -Aldous Huxley, novelist (1894-1963) 


Bridge at the Pitchfords!

Is Ragin' Bull the boat owner Bronco? And who is Kerry in reality. Charlie 


Hi Champagne!

Ragin' Bull is the boat owner, but Branko, not Bronco! He's a bull rather than a mustang! Kerry, in reality, is Whirlygig's significant other and the one about whom you made vicious comments, rather nasty asides on her lack of card skill, Overly Critical Carlos!!! Cheers, Patrizio!


Hola Patrizio, It is good to hear from you. It...
Mary Carmen Graham
Hola Patrizio, It is good to hear from you. It sounds like you all are very busy. Unfortunately we cannot make it on the 27th :( We will have to work another date in December. How is your busy calendar? I hope we can see you guys! Say hi to everyone. Cheers and thanks for replying.
Hello Lassies and Lads!

What thinks you, or at least the regulare, for a ride domani? I would like to head out at around 10:00am, in any direzzione! Let me know what you think and we will plan accordingly!

On another matter, The Hostess, With The Mostess, would like to invite everyone, together with significant others, to a mini-gathering at The Island Inn on Dicembere 11th, 2011, so please RSVP at your earliest convenience! Cheers, Patrizio!


From: Patrick Dunn
To: alan waldron
To: Ray Banks
To: George Maddison
To: Mark Tanner
To: Branko Peric
To: Milton Kiang
To: Moe Tootoonian
To: Guy Riecken
To: Alastair Bird
Cc: Mike Carter
Cc: Stephen Carthew
Cc: Kathleen Gray
Cc: Zoe Beavis
Cc: Misha Bilenky
Cc: Michele Sutherland
Cc: Wayne Sutherland
Cc: Chloe Dunn
Cc: Ayn Prince
Subject: Late Saturday Night Greetings from The Island Inn!
Sent: Nov 19, 2011 11:20 PM
 

Hi Patrice, I would like to join you, however some stuff came up and has kind of wrecked my weekend. An old cast iron pipe in the wall in the kitchen blew out when I plunged the sink as it was running slow. I had to rip out the wall inside the kitchen cupboards to get to it. Finally just got that done and had five minutes to get ready to go out to a dinner party. We had a good time but then when we were about to leave my Mom called me completely distraught saying she was on her living room floor, couldn't get up and was bleeding from the neck and was dying. I raced over (shouldn't have been driving) but was obviously in a state of panic. I got there in time to meet the paramedics who had talked to the manager and were waiting for keys. We communicated through the mail slot until the manager came and let us in. The details are still a little sketchy but I believe she had a few fell as she tried to get into her bed which is very high and smashed her head and somehow has sprained or broken her ankle. I'm going to the hospital later this morning and will get more info. Let me know what happens with a ride and perhaps I'll catch up later.

Cheers, Al




Ayn P
Fall in the Valley......



Hi Al!

Terribly sorry to hear about your Mom and her rather nasty ordeal, to say the least! Trust she is recovering well in hospital.

Rather a drag with cast iron pipe in your kitchen. Just what you need given family crisis.

I plan to head out shortly so I'll give you a call in case you are not reading email over next little while.

Take care of yourself while this craziness is going on! Cheers, Patrizio!
 

Hello, Patrizio! Glad to hear from you and learn all is well, a bit
time-pressed right now, but thanks for your words of support re: shows
I'm doing.

I did email Corinne the other day...about the copy of the book I sent,
hoping she'd review. Haven't heard from her, if she doesn't have time,
no offense taken, but if possible in such a case to return the book,
much appreciated.

Of course, you are welcome to review in her stead! Best wishes, Deborah


 

Hi Deborah!

Welcome to dealing with The Arch-Procrastinator! Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow!
I've forwarded your email to her so that may well spur her on.

Too busy cycling to write reviews so sorry I can't/won't take Coriandre off the hook! None of my regular riding friends were available for a jaunt today so I headed off, just after noon. Quite crisp and when I made it up the UBC Foreshore Hill, both sides of the road were covered with a fairly heavy dusting of snow! Fortunately, road surface was quite dry. Showed much evidence of having been salted and at times my tires crunch, crunch, crunched over the scattered granular particles.

Along Marine Drive I had to watch out for a number of icy patches on the shoulder/bike path but managed to avoid treacherous spots without incident. Made my way over Cambie Sky Train Bridge, (I could have taken the Arthur Laing which is one to take to YVR but wanted to log extra distance so opted for former.), and was rewarded with sighting what I think was a magnificent Great Blue Heron. It was on the grass verge beside a ditch running parallel to road leading to Iona Regional Park, a favourite spot for birders. I'm certainly not one, so I can only say that I think it was a GBH, based on memory matched against picture I've attached.

It was close to 2:00pm when I reached the parking lot at the end of the road and I turned back. My main concern, now that the days are so short, is being back home before dusk. Once more, I happened upon another GBH, not far from the side road which leads to Macdonald Beach, a long strip of shoreline that hugs the Fraser River and contains one of the best offleash dog parks in Vancouver, even though technically it is in Richmond. I wondered if it was the one I'd seen earlier but about ten minutes later I saw the one I passed on my way out, still in the same spot. Wondered if they could be mates but since I know nothing about them, obviously not sure. At any rate, I was delighted to catch sight of such wonderful creatures.

Made my way back over CSTB and then up Cambie itself to 57th where I didpy-doodled my way to 70th so that I could rejoin MD west of Granville. (Such meanderings are scorned by my regular riding companions. I play a silly mind game called "Don't let your feet touch the ground", (My version of "Don't let the sun catch you crying!"),and this necessitates all the aforementioned dipsy-doodling to find light controlled intersections that allow me, by judging change intervals, to cross without stopping. Once on Marine it was basically smooth sailing all the way home, past UBC and then on along Spanish Banks.

As I mentioned, I have to be concerned about gathering gloom and had affixed my trusty "cyclops" quartrz halogen to my handlebars before I set off, knowing I might need it if ride was going to be more than four hours in duration. At around 4:15pm, about 7K from home, I tried to turn it on, for safety's sake more than illumination, but to no avail. (Had worked fine the day before when I did a short ride, (31.33K) around Stanley Park after helping Cora Lee, (She also enlisted Rosie-the-Riveter, Chloƫ and Flamin'), with luncheon, (I poured Sparking wine and OJ; Clarisee handed out door prize tickets; The Goils helped with buffet of quiche, green salad and a variety of baked desserts; we all helped with clean-up), she put on to thank volunteers for Friends of VPL and then voting in civic elections at polling station in an elementary school not far from our place.) Fortunately, it wasn't all that dark by time I reached Kits Point and a few kilometres later I was safe and sound at Harbour Terrace, close to 4:50pm.

Cora Lee joined the University Women's Club earlier this Fall, ( Interestingly enough, (and ridiculous, if not criminal, in the extreme), in June 1962 the UWC acquired Hycroft, a magnificent Edwardian mansion located in Shaughnessy, with considerable difficulty. At the time, women could not obtain mortgages!), and she did a volunteer shift at Christmas at Hycroft, from 3:00pm-6:00pm. (one of the many reasons she hasn't completed review of your book!) She had gone earlier with her Mom and Flamin' to kick-start Christmas shopping:

"All three public floors are decked out in glorious Christmas finery, each room on the main floor is themed to inspire your inner seasonal decorator, grand staircases take you upstairs to the non-profit boutiques and downstairs to the Artisans Village where you will be able to enjoy one-stop shopping with a feel-good factor of supporting good causes and local artisans.  Music is in the air as we regularly have live performances of carolling by our own House Choir, the Hycroft Singers, as well as pianists, strings, harpists, bell-ringers, and vocalists - take a seat to enjoy the ambience of music in elegant surroundings.  The Coach House will provide your take-away edibles.  Sit for awhile in our Holly Bistro as you enjoy a bite to eat.  We are a lovely Christmas experience to inspire your own preparations for decorating and entertaining.  Come and see the special uniqueness that is Christmas at Hycroft.

The University Women's Club of Vancouver holds this annual fundraiser to support the Club and its many scholarship and bursary programs, a number of charity and advocacy groups locally, nationally and internationally, and maintaining the stewardship of the grounds and buildings of Hycroft – a designated Heritage property."

Again, best with your show(s). Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!



I'm off to the football game with my brother-in-law, so will have to pass on the peleton. Will consult the oracle of Xmas activities vis-a-vis the m.g. on the 11th. 8^) cheers, Mark

Hi Marcus Aurelius!

Trust you enjoyed the football game! 


P,

Playing in the Div 1 consoles at 10am at VLT. Watch for black ice and Lexus.
Enjoy the ride. W


Hi Whirlygig!

Trust you enjoyed tournamanet and came home with some loot! 




Good day to you sir.
I have serious doubts about my capacity to upkeep with your maniacal cycling regimen. In any event I have an ironclad excuse in the form of mot having been out of bed yet at the hour you proposed. Other commitment this aft.

As for December 11th I'd love to be counted among the number attending. Nancy, though, will be off in Florida on some sun drenched escapade with her sister, so you will have to put up with me solo. Guy


Hi Guy!

Glad you will be able to join us on December 11th. Sorry that Nancy won't be along, however.



Pat,
Can't today due to work commitments. Be careful. Very slippery on Pine/Angus yesterday at 9:30.
Thanks for the invite on December 11. Count Sylvia and I in. Thanks, Ray



Hi Ray!

Glad you both will be able to join us on December 11th. Sorry you couldn't make it today. Thanks for ice warning! Much appreciated, as you will discover.

You were not the only one who had other commitments, it seems, so I headed off, just after noon, by myself:

"I'm off to the football game with my brother-in-law, so will have to pass on the peleton. cheers,
Mark

Playing in the Div 1 consoles at 10am at VLT. Watch for black ice and Lexus. Enjoy the ride. W"

Watched a terrific documentary, Part 1, on Woody Allen, on American Masters, this evening:

"The first thing to say about the two-part, 3-hour-and-15-minute American Masters special Woody Allen: A Documentary, which airs tonight and tomorrow on PBS, is that it mixes things you already know with things you didn’t know in an avidly enjoyable, Woody-nostalgia way. Here’s something, for instance, that I didn’t know: Allen still does all his writing on the same tiny typewriter he has owned since he was 16 — a German-made Olympia portable that he purchased for $40 in 1952. He’s written all his movies on it, all his plays, and all his New Yorker pieces. The typewriter is missing its top, so you can see those primitive reel-to-reel ink cartridges, but, according to Allen, it “still works like a tank.” Of course, this means that when he’s re-writing, he has to literally cut and paste pieces of paper together. But hey, his system ain’t broke, so why fix it? Looking at that small, boxy relic of a typewriter (it’s nestled on a desk amid the tasteful coziness of the writing room in his Upper East Side brownstone), and listening to Allen talk about it with such sheepish devotion, one can see how much of him it embodies: his obsession with the past — old movies, old music, old ways of being; his stubbornly skeptical view of technology; even, in a funny way, his fear of mortality, since the guy who sold the typewriter to the young Allen Konigsberg assured him that it would still be working after his death."






Have asked Chloƫ to record it next Sunday, (in case I can't watch Part 2 tomorrow), as I'm hosting Book Club and Lads may not be gone when it starts.

Looks like we may not be riding for a bit but let's keep in touch if forecast looks promising. Cheers, Patrizio!


David Kessler
David Kessler updated his status: "Thanksgiving Grace 2011 Koinonia Pnevmatos “Communion of the Spirit” How put in words, that strange sweet place? Where, tired of pulling ‘gainst the trace, We hanker for fulfillment, peace; From fear and tension, sweet release! For we know not what makes it happen, What Power does the finger snappin’! Or if conspiring with our friends Will save the world for worthy ends… But let’s collect berries from a bog Rejoin the cosmic dialogue! Come, sit down to eat, and quietly talk And let those silly turkeys squawk! Koinonia Pnevmatos “Sharing Spirit” quite defines us! Remember as we sip some wine Give Thanks! Our planet’s quite divine! And if this year we don’t the Laurels win We’ll let sweet Earth take another spin- Perhaps one dawn we shall espy, A peaceful world to occupy! Koinonia Pnevmatos means "Communion of the Spirit." It is the inscription on Stetson Chapel at Kalamazoo College. The chapel was dedicated in 1931. My thanks to Mike Leib for bringing this to my attention, and for suggesting that it might form a fitting foundation for a Thanksgiving Grace. Indeed, what could better express what I hope to achieve every year! David Kessler"
Hi Cactus and Donna Florida!

Trust you are both well. Did find your 2011 Thanksgiving Grace, Koinonia Pnevmatos, both moving and fitting, David. Needed you both, for other reasons, as you will discover should you read on! (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Ayn P
Ayn P added a new photo to the album Mobile Uploads.
Ayn wrote: "Ha ha ha...very funny Poppa!

"Nana Knuckles" the Mafiosa"


Ayn P
Ayn P added a new photo to the album Mobile Uploads.
Hi Snazzy Gumboot Person!( Paddington would be jealous!)

Liked your spectaculares as well! Very classy. You should have been a Librarian!!! Nana Knuckles could have provided body for Trunk Music!!! Love and Cheers, Dad! 
 

Chloe Alexis Dunn
Chloe Alexis Dunn updated her status: "numbers are swimming in my head, ouch."
Patrick James Dunn Could be worse. Could be "visions of sugar-plums dancing in your head! Love, Dad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment