Monday 28 November 2011

IIDD, Nov 28th

 The art of life is to know how to enjoy a little and to endure much. -William Hazlitt, essayist (1778-1830) 

A picture is worth a thousand words, they say, and if that's true this week we're going to send you a thousand words a day. Artist Leah Palmer Preiss (curiouser AT mindspring.com) has illustrated this week's words in her delightfully whimsical style. Leah makes her home in Raleigh, North Carolina. She writes:
"I've always been fascinated by the conversation between words and images. Nearly all of my work -- whether as a painter, illustrator, or calligrapher -- combines visual and verbal elements in some fashion. Lately I've been exploring figurative letters. My first series of curiotypes (as I call them) was a full alphabet illustrating scientific terms.
"As a longtime fan of A.Word.A.Day, I was very excited when Anu Garg asked me to do a series of curiotypes for this week's words. To create these particular pieces, I collaged printed texts (scanned from old dictionaries) onto canvas, then painted the image with acrylics, using many thin glazes and very small brushes. The originals are 6"x6".
"If you'd like to see more of my work, including earlier stages of these images and the scientific alphabet mentioned above, please visit my blog, Oddments & Curiosities."  





We love you!, But seriously why can't you get a phone or something. I will ponder this as I sip my next Latte. Cheers, Al.



Dearest Big Molly et al!

I read, with slightly trembling upper lip, your latest missive, (We love you!, But seriously why can't you get a phone or something! I will ponder this as I sip my next Latte.) Naturally, I am more delighted to learn that I still have a place in the big, fuzzy, warm heart of the Burnaboids! You know, of course, or certainly should realize, that even if I did possess a cellulare, it would have to be connected to another felcher tube, this one even more delicate, far more sensitive, in order to allow me to text or otherwise converse, without stopping. Having a mode of communication that would force me to break the symphonic cadence of the pedals, to actually touch the ground before the end of the obligatory extendo-ride, would be self defeating, in the extreme. I might as well be done with riding, simply stroll over to the Starbucks, situated at the entrance to Granville Island, and waste away the hours conversing with Barnacle Branko about outdated nautical charts and watching reruns of The Exorcist on his laptop.

Once again, O Great and Mighty Philosph, I appreciate your learned concern. Perhaps if you order a Chai Latte you might be able to discern a solution to this thorny existential problem in the tea leaves at the bottom of your mug.

I remain, as always, Your Ever Humble, Grateful and, in Perpetual Motion, Servant. So let it be written, so let it be Dunn!






Greetings All,

I have just 3 days to go (Thank God) with my mo on my face. In this time my mo has reminded people of everyone from Hitler to Freddie Mercury (both equally offensive).

However I would love it if anyone can spare a few dollars and donate what they can to the cause. The money being raised is to support depression in Men and Prostate Cancer. You can donate by clicking on the link to redirect you to my MO Page.

http://mobro.co/modafone10

If you can help out it would be greatly appreciated. All the Best, Tim Kelly

Hi Tiptoe!

Bupna Fortuna with your Stache! Flash is also a MO. I donated to friend, Doug Jameson, from UBC pool. Cheers, Patrice!

Hi Patrizio,

Legs has reported in and turning down our invite. Her loss.

We are fine with just you & the Durstons for bridge & dinner. That makes 5.
If we get another couple we still have an odd person (other than you-hah).
So prefer to keep it as is. It was really to have you 4 up (with Corinne) as
a pre holiday treat as you have always been so magnanimous at your place.

BTW, we are still open to change the date so that Corinne can make our big
do here, any time the following week.

What say you? Charlie

Hi Champagne!

I think we'll have to leave it for the 9th, without Cora Lee, as life is already too, too complicated without trying to change date, yet again! Thanks for being so flexible but if we don't play on Friday, the 9th, we might not be able to re-convene until after we return from Japan and by then the Durstons will be back in Manitoba! We'll chat a few days beforehand, just to confirm, time, etc. Cheers, Patrizio!

This is fine. It is all good. Corinne we wish you all the best. Charlie

I am looking at a trip to BC in January.

Itinerary tentatively has me in Vancouver flying into YVR on Monday, Jan 16 and then bus/ferry to Victoria on Jan 19 for Epiphany Explorations at First Met Church, and flying back to YYC on Mon Jan 23. So I am looking for a place to stay for three nites in Vancouver. I think Bob A has bday on Wed of that week as well. I don't know where on planet earth you guys are at that time, or if you have space already committed to other wayfarers.Take care, jhh

Hi Zircon!

Trust all goes well with you. Lovely to hear from you and pleased you will be in town, mid-January. You are more than welcome to stay. You should be the only wayfarer, at that time. Close friends, Kathleen and Steve, from Melbourne, will be here from December 7th-14th, but other than that we only have to move Chloë down to The Cave at the Sutherlands! She might even have her own place in a co-op by then and you can stay for months! Start re-reading your Goren now!

Had a lovely Grey Cup Party next door, with Clara and Dusty, yesterday. Bit conflicted about which team to cheer for!! Joined by a couple, Dianna and Bob Boyd, new to building as of last July, together with some of Sutherlands. Nicolina and Marvin popped by early on and then Flamin' came up later. She had spent weekend in Montreal with a number of girlfriends from university days so was a bit dazed from partying and flight home. Sarge came up after I'd gone back to our place. He had spent weekend in Seattle with some mates from work and was rather grumpy over the Seahawk's loss earlier that afternoon. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!

I wish I had been with you for Grey Cup festival. At least you got to cheer no matter what the outcome!
Thanks for the confirmation of a bed. I recommend The Bridge Players Bible by Julian Pottage.
Hi Zircon!

Have penciled your reservation in for January 17th-19th. Please send credit card details with next message to ensure confirmation. Booking and Cancellation fees apply. We look forward to your visit and please be sure to inform us of any dietary or tippling requirements that you might require in order to make your stay at The Island Inn as enjoyable as possible. As ever, I remain your 'Umble Servant. With best wishes, My Dear and Kind Sir,  The Proprietor, Taverne Master, Bar Keep and Scullion Exemplary of Ye Olde Island Inne!

PS: You can take a bible away from a retired minister but you cant' take the bible out of a bridge fiend!




I am sure that Chloe is welcome to stay a tour place. W

Thanks Sarge!

Very good of you. However, I assume you realize that she will need free and easy access to your vehicle as well!

John Keogh


24 November
how's it goin man? i'm still giggin in hugos!! ran dublin marathon in just under 4 hours and planning to record some music for 2012... hi from dublin. john


Patrick James Dunn

Hi John!

Great to hear from you. Trust you are well. Congratulations on impressive marathon time! Good luck with recording! Hello to CJQ. Funnily enough, we were both reminiscing about our stay in Dublin shortly before I received your email. We happened to be telling the friends we will travel with in Australia, in March/April 2012, about some of the things we did there. This is an excerpt from my journal:

"Back onto Lower Baggot Street at just before 8:00pm for our dinner reservation at Hugo's Restaurant & Wine Bar. We had had such a great meal, (Irish mussels in a velvety cream sauce), earlier that week that we decided to come again, particularly as there was to be live jazz. When we walked in and were shown to our table, in fact, The Collective Jazz Quartet, was already playing their first set. Consisting of guitar, double bass, saxophone/clarinet and a female vocalist, they were very good. In the main they played standards but were accomplished musicians and Petra, the singer, had a lovely, pleasing voice.

We shared a tasty Mediterranean platter and a bottle of Portuguese red, Marques de Borba, 2008 blend of Aragones/Trincardeira, (two varietals we'd never encountered before, at least to our knowledge), 14%, 27€. Couldn't believe how wonderful it was, deep and rich and flavourful. Our type of wine, indeed! Cora Lee had the red mullet while I opted for Hugo's' take on jambalaya. My dish was really exquisite, (plenty of seafood over fresh pasta), but, unfortunately, CL found her fish unexciting. We ordered a Muscat desert wine to share with the Irish cheese plate and listened to the second set, getting into the grove as the quartet did some pretty swinging numbers. Bought the guitarist a glass of wine after their gig was over. Rest of quartet had to go but it was quite interesting to chat with him about the music scene in Dublin."

Any plans to travel? Keep in touch if you decide upon Canada/Vancouver. Come for the Vancouver Marathon! All the best. Cheers, Patrizio!

  • Takagaki Toshiko
    20 November
    Takagaki Toshiko
    • Hi, Patrick!

      I can't read your e-mail without laughing and happy smile!!
      Image pf your conversation and scenes come right up to my head!
      I always think you can be a good writer!!

      Anyways, I will make some lists of places and things to do in Japan. Then you can get some ideas what you are interested in doing here. I already have some ideas!

      How excited!!

      Please wait for a while...

      Today I made some bread.
      Hot just baked bread with hot melted raclette cheese on top of it was delicious! A bottle of wine "Cotes du Rhone" to go with. It was fun to drink with my mom at home with nice dinner!! Today was Italian.

      When you come to Japan or I go to Vancouver, I will bake you homemade bread!! And some bottles of wine will also be ready for you and Corinne to drink!

      Cheers! Toshiko
 Hi Toshi!

Trust you are well. Your homemade bread with raclette cheese made me awfully hungry. I'm sure it was delicious!

Had a lovely Grey Cup Party next door, with Clara and Dusty, yesterday. Clara had wonderful hors d'oeuvres and honey chicken wings, as well as her homemade biscuits with chili! Bit conflicted about which team to cheer for!! Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs BC Lions! Lions triumphed 34/23 but it was a very exciting match. Joined by a couple, Dianna, (she brought a wonderful yogurt and blueberry cheesecake for dessert), and Bob Boyd, new to building as of last July, together with some of Sutherlands. Nicolina and Marvin popped by early on and then Flamin' came up later. She had spent weekend in Montreal with a number of girlfriends from university days so was a bit dazed from partying and flight home. Sarge came up after I'd gone back to our place. He had spent weekend in Seattle with some mates from work and was rather grumpy over the Seahawk's loss earlier that afternoon.

Further to what I had mentioned in my last message, I have put together a very tentative, initial list of things/places we might like to see during our stay with you. Perhaps you could think about how best to fit some of these things in, relative to distances, times, cost, etc. Once more, please remember that this is really just a starting point for discussion so we would appreciate your comments about what we've suggested. Basically, we'd like to make the best use of our time but don't want to be rushing around all the time. I guess we'd prefer to spend more time on fewer things and not exhaust everyone! Since we really don't have any idea about distances and travel times we certainly require your advice on these matters.

For a start, I gather there are 17 properties of World Heritage Sites located in Kyoto Prefecture. Any of these temples or shrines would be of interest. As well, I understand that many of the down town districts or entertainment districts present another facet of Kyoto which is quite different from the typical historical image. Furthermore, visiting some hot springs in the countryside nearbye might be fun. Would it be a good idea to stay in or around Kyoto for a few days?

Of course Tokyo is such a huge city I don't even know where to start. Naturally, we'd like to see some of the historical architecture and buildings and the more modern commercial and shopping districts, if only to gain an overview of city, taste some of its flavour. Again, we'd appreciate your help answering the question of when best to visit city/where to stay, etc.

Other than this very basic outline we are certainly open to your suggestions, not forgetting we'd like to see your city as well and leaving a reasonable amount of time to journey to Sapporo and perhaps make a stop or more, en route. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!



Hi Chris and Jim!

Trust you are both well and exercising vigourously!! Robo Ray called this morning to see if I was interested in a ride. I'd already decided to go for a swim so will cycle over to Aquatic Centre, around Science World, after I pop in to see Mom. Cheers, Il Conduttore!








No comments:

Post a Comment