Friday 18 November 2011

IIDD, Nov 18th

Eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love. -Bill Hicks, comedian and social critic (1961-1994) 

spendthrift



MEANING:
noun: A person who spends money wastefully.
adjective: Wasteful with money.

ETYMOLOGY:
A spendthrift is, literally, one who spends his wealth, from Middle English thrift (prosperity), from Old Norse thrifast (to thrive), from thrifa (to grasp). Earliest documented use: 1601.

NOTES:
Spendthrift is the longest word whose phonetic and normal spellings are the same. Two colorful synonyms of this word are dingthrift and scattergood.

USAGE:
"A Saudi judge has told a seminar on domestic violence that it is okay for a man to slap his wife for lavish spending."
Saudi Judge Says OK to Slap Spendthrift Wife; Agence France Presse (Paris); May 10, 2009.  
Hi Patrizio,

Are we OK with the dates we have already provided? Which ones do you prefer?
So I can, in turn, write Legs and Penguin. Charlie
Hi Charlie, Dec. 9th would work best for us.
Looking forward to seeing you all. Corinne

Hi Champagne!

Little did The Sisterhood realize it but my crafty ploy to leave out the date was intended to rouse them out of their narcoleptic stupour! And it worked! Sometimes one need not use a cattle prod. Stealth and  sly craft subtlety work even better! Cheers, Machieavalli!

PS: You never mentioned if you connected with Bev Ferguson, VIFF volunteer with me.

P, Okay, SWINE!

Nice riding lad -- too bad about the West Van Lexus surveillance -- it is
actually Land Rover or Bentley in that 'hood so keep your eyes peeled as
they say. If you must ride in West Van the lycra sets should abound.

Two matches last night -- won 3-1 in the Div One. Lost 1-3 in the sandbagged
50s at VLT with Hungie silent witness from his bloated sepia tone photo
behind the court -- still somehow making questionable calls. We were pleased
to get a game off of those guys (Bley & Au) and won that game 15 - 8. We
play again on Saturday afternoon. You would have loved the e-mail flurry
over the dress code at the lawn...

I won't ride today even if the sun shows -- so put your feet up. W.
Au Bley Dee, Au Bley Da, Life Goes On!
Hi Squash Fashionisto!

'Orrible never lets go, does he, at least until he gets his bully way! Hard to believe that we will we have to send a hit man to The Inferno to stop his visitations! Good work on court, in spite of The Swine Flu virus circulating on the Lawn Intranet!!! I trust you both played in your cycling cleats, scoring the floor, if not the scoreboard!

Thanks for reminding me about the different surveillance vehicles. I must admit, I was lulled into a false sense of security. Now that you've mentioned it, some of the supposedly "friendly" dog walkers were probably part of the undercover crew tracking our progress. It wasn't a leash, it was an antenna! Many had ear mikes as well, masking as iPod earphones. Why doesn't the municipality spend money on a dedicated bike lane to Horseshoe Bay instead of pouring millions into Homeland Security? They can never seal their borders anyway. Even if they put roadblocks on the Lions Gate, we can have Barnacle Branymir drop us at Ambleside at midnight, cork blackened faces and all. Death to the Latte Infidels as we paddle ashore in his new plastic kayaks, two lashed together to carry our bikes!!! With his new boat cover, he'll be battleship grey invisible to their radar and searchlights

I've asked Big Molly to work on a small flame thrower attachment for the front of our bikes to be used to melt icy from roadways. Of course, it has a feature which allows one to direct napalm at The Lexus Polizei, et al, should that be necessary. You can learn the technique by enrolling in an online course called Cycle Rage: Don't Get Mad, Get Even! Think I'll put one in Ray's stocking this year as he really has become gun-shy, so to speak, ever since his fall on Bald Mountain!

I'm putting my trotter hooves up as I sign off. This Little Piggy went to the coffee pot. This Little Piggy went to the whipped cream. And this Little Piggy went all the way to the Malt Cabinet, going "Wee wee wee, all the way Home, (without once touching the ground)!

Cheers, Il Conduttore, Agent 00.33!

Pic: Where's Tia when you need her?


good morning...off to make my dentist's car payment...or as I like to call it "the crown shakedown" lol

    • Patrick James Dunn Must be genetic as Rosie The Riveter is off to BIG BIRD for a toothache remedy this morning. Needed Extra Strength Tylenol and a bottle of quite good Argentinian Malbec, Kaiken, to dull pain last evening!


      Ayn wrote: "Poor Grandma Clara...I've already had the work done, today is just to pop the new permanent cap on. Hopefully she'll be in better shape later today (and yes, I think I've inherited her teeth)"


"The unmoored claims of the printed book elicited constant questions from its very beginnings: Was it a 'true copy' or did it misrepresent the manuscript, intentionally or unintentionally? Did the author named really write it? Was it the kind of text its title purported it to be? Could its contents be trusted? Moreover, the print culture of the early nineteenth-century United States possessed a peculiar volatility all its own: it was a 'culture of reprinting,' in Meredith McGill's words, in which 'cir­culation outstripped authorial and editorial control.' ... In the whirl of reprinting, no text was fixed. Magazine editors regularly republished each other's articles, British and American 'bookaneers' competed to issue first editions on each shore or undersell existing editions, and writers often found their words altered, cut, rearranged, or attributed to others, or had unfamiliar words attributed to them. Printed texts cited, commented upon, and reappropriated each other to an extent that compares with the most viral internet meme. ...

 
"Gift books more starkly illustrate the dubious achievements of ante­bellum literary publishing, for next to their sumptuousness, their most characteristic feature was their spuriousness. Publishers routinely repack­aged pages from old gift books in new bindings, took pages from unsold periodicals and rebound them as gift books, or erased the gilt date from the bindings of the old annuals and restamped them with the current year, much as a counterfeiter would erase the dollar amount from a bill and replace it with a higher number."  
 
The Fabrication of American Literature: Fraudulence and Antebellum Print Culture (Material Texts), Lara Langer Cohen, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2012, pages 6-8, 10
Hi Kids!

Any interest?

KITSILANO WINE CELLAR PRESENTS:

Cassini Cellars Wine Tasting

Where: At the tasting bar

When: Friday Nov 18th

Time: 4-6pm

Cost: free/no rsvp required

The Wines:

Cassini Maximus $39.99

Cassini Reserve Chard $34.99

Cassini Viognier $22.99


Before Cassini Cellars, (located on HWY97 half way between Oliver and Osoyoos), opened it was the site of a lavender farm. In late 2006 the lavender plants were replaced by vines and in 2009 the winery had it's grand opening. Since then the wines have won numerous awards reflecting the passion and commitment to making every bottle of wine communicate something distinct and unique about the region it comes from. Cheers, Patrizio!


I am in. Wayne
Hi Patrick

I just dropped Gayle off at the train station. She is off to Southampton for the weekend. Friends of our daughter Marnie are throwing a baby shower for her tonight, to which I am not invited! I was gutted!



Thank you for your informative emails. Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I thought when one was retired there would be plenty of free time but so far it hasn't turned out that way.


I do hope Chloe is well on the way to recovery the poor love. That's a ghastly operation at the best of times. Krissy had the operation when she was about eight years old but had to suffer for several years before the 'experts' agreed to do the operation.


You put me to shame with your cycling exploits. 72k on your last ride was pretty impressive for an oldie! Was that miles or kilometers? I have only been out on the bike once since returning from Canada. In my defense we have been doing a fair bit of coastal walking of late since the weather has been incredibly kind. Very Springlike with plenty of sunshine. Have attached a couple of pictures of Gayle on a couple of recent walks. Have also attached a photo of our cats blocking the heat from the fire which I took ta couple of evenings ago. Thought Chloe may like to see the cats that Krissy and Mark abandoned when they decided to roam the world. We now have to look after them in our old age!


Had my three sisters and their hubbies over for a buffet supper last week (another photo attached to bore you with). My eldest sister, Audry, is 80 (she is the one seated on the left). I am the baby of the family at 65! I used to hate being the youngest when I was a boy since my brother and sisters seemed to do all the grown-up things that I wasn't allowed to do. But now I revel at being the young one in the family!


Before I left for Canada this year I had started repairing the portico to the front door. Some rot had set in to the west side of the structure. I continued the work when I returned home but the more rot I cut out the more I found. One whole side of the portico has now been removed and I am at a loss to know where I go from here. I am no carpenter! Other unfinished work at the house includes the cement rendering of the concrete posts at the entrance to the car park. I thought I would leave the work on the portico, since it was stressing me out, and move on to attempt the rendering of the posts. Big mistake! Not only am I no good at carpentry and found out that I also no good at rendering either! The two sides of one post I managed to complete, after much cussing, are bloody awful! Gayle and my sister Maureen, who lives in the apartment downstairs, said it will be fine once the posts are painted. That comment didn't really inspire me to continue! Anyway, I now have two major incomplete projects which I am reminded are incomplete every time I walk out the front door. If you are still planning on moving from your present accommodation Patrick I would suggest you don't buy a 200 year old house!


Krissy said you are off on your travels in early March. Hopefully we can share a bottle of vino before you leave. I think we arrive in Vancouver on February 28th and will stay for a little under three weeks.


The sun has just popped out so I think I will hop on the bike. You seem to have inspired me!Best wishes to Cora Lee and Chloe. Derek





Hello Non-Carpenter/Non-Renderer Handyman!

Great to hear from you but sorry to learn that not all goes well on the DIY Front! Just like The Sisterhood to leave on a pleasant junket, leaving behind a long list detailing household chores and tasks to be magically completed upon their regal return! "Derek, what HAVE you been doing since I was away, anyway, DEAR!"

Chloë is still recovering. The back of her tongue is still extremely sore and sensitive. However, she has started, once again, to tell her parents what to do and what we are doing wrong with our lives so I think full recovery is in the offing! Your mention of Krissy's ordeal reminds me that Cora Lee's sister, Patti, had a similar situation as a child. In her case, the surgeon did not remove all of the diseased tissue and she has been plagued with trouble to this day! Thanks for your concern but I think we need to save such sentiment for The Brotherhood, given the situations we both find ourselves in!!!

We quite enjoyed seeing the Abandoned Felines! For her part, Maggie was not very happy this morning as technician for Shaw came to hook up new TV/Internet service and she hid in the laundry room until he left! Also enjoyed seeing your older siblings and their husbands. Great shots of Gorgeous Gayle, more than dazzling with the far less beautiful coastline as but a tawdry backdrop, in comparison! (Note my strategic fawning, overly obsequious pandering to The Sisterhood!)



Please don't feel intimidated by my cycling. (I wish that the distance was in miles! Kilometres, unfortunately! 72.33K=44.94 miles) Believe me, it has been a gradual process. I'm still amazed at how one's body can respond if one but persists. My general approach to physical exercise, of any kind, really, is that, at first, it is far better to do something, even if not much first few tries, than nothing at all. Even worse is to set limits so high that one is defeated before one even begins! Once one is comfortable then gradually increase level of activity.As well, I find it quite useful to play little mind games with myself. Yesterday's ride was an example:

With regular riding mate, Robo Ray, I had a a terrific ride in the morning. We did an up 'n over Lions Gate Bridge and then I thought why not proceed, in a westerly direction, along the bike path towards Dundarave Village in West Vancouver. Did just that and really discovered a fabulous "extension" to Stanley Park/Lions Gate circuit. We were able to go all the way, more or less parallel to Marine Drive, to 31st Ave, using a combo of bike path and little trafficked, gorgeous, lane-like streets, past Dundarave shopping area, a block or two, at times, from ocean front, hemmed in by railroad track. Really quite an adventure as neither of us had even traversed this route before. Obviously, it would be the way to make for Horseshoe Bay should we ever decide to attempt this ride. Few decent, small hills on route we covered so I can imagine what terrain must be like further west. Forgot to mention that a black Lexus seemed to be tailing us for part of ride and we garnered quite a few glowering looks from various West Van matrons walking their pampered pooches. Funnily enough, the few lycra clad, colour coordinated riders we passed or met seemed invisible to their vigilant eyes. We may well have to work on lengthy Christmas Wish Lists at Mountain Equipment Co-op for designer togs, passing along present riff-raff outfits to Wurzel Gummidge and his mates!
Back over bridge and down past Prospect Point. I was keen to do a complete circuit of Seawall again but Robo Ray nixed that idea so we made for home. Had 48K on clock by time we passed Heartbreak Terrace. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go all the way to UBC and beyond as I was feeling a tad sluggish. Decided I'd push myself to bottom of Foreshore Hill after I waved goodbye to Recalcitrant Ray. One of reasons I was reluctant to make for Spanish Banks myself was the threat of rain. Nevertheless, by time I had reached bottom of hill, I decided to continue with route regulare and did just that.

As I was wheeling down into Musqueam Indain Reservation, (Crown and MD), felt a few first droplets of rain and wondered if I'd made a silly mistake. Back on MD once again, wind was following so I didn't actually notice light, steady drizzle until I was heading back down from Wesbrook Village, part of UBC. By then it was coming down harder but I was already committed so simply pushed on, alternating between being swept along and fighting a headwind laced with icy scorpions. Fortunately, I was dressed appropriately so was actually quite toasty for the last 20K of wet weather riding.

Pulled into Heartbreak Hotel with 101.33K on the clock and was more than pleased, primarily as I never thought I'd ride at all, let alone such distance. Left at 9:45am and put feed bag on my steed at 3:35pm so was a fairly lengthy outing. Given this, I'm up for a shorter ride today. Mentioned to Whirlygig, a possible riding companion, in an email last night, that if a jaunt suited him he should consider putting  some anti-freeze in his water bottle as snow flurries were forecast!

Sure enough, there was a dusting of snow on the grass when we woke up this morning! Whirlissimo bowed out as he is currently competing in a doubles squash tournament. I'm just as happy as I plan to do but a fairly short ride up to Broadway to shop for some fruit and vegetables at Young Brothers. Will take my panniers as Cora Lee's Smart Car is in for service and she has my larger vehicle. Needed it for shopping, (already loaded with rental plates, glasses and cups), at Costco for food for lunch she has organized at library downtown tomorrow. She is putting it on to thank the volunteers who belong to Friends of VPL. She is current Chair of Board. I'm to serve Champers and orange juice and Chloë is to help serve food. Should be fun!

Tonight, hope to take in wine tasting, together with Flamin' and Sarge.

Yes, we do leave for Hong Kong on March 5th so do plan to come over as soon as you've settled in. We'll be in touch before then of course but just want you to start thinking about possible dates as I know how quickly social calendars fill up. Buona Fortuna with portico and cement posts, you Blockhead! (This unspoken thought from The Sisterhood, not me!). Fond regards to both you and Gayle from Chloë and Coriandre! Cheers, Patrizio!

PS: Have never seen such a photo attachment before. Seems to work well.


Patrizio!

Sorry to say, I didn't really make it over to the mainland.  The parents recently moved over to Cobble Hill, so spent the whole time over there (had a bit of lovely Blue Grouse Black Muscat and Dunkelfelder - you generally can't go wrong with most of his wines).  Was a bit tired out from the constant running about in the previous weeks (few days in Copenhagen, a few in London, week in Montreal, then 9 days out west) and realising that I had two weeks of running around for work when I got back (Edinburgh, Paris, Troyes, Vienna).  Troyes was fantastic - one of the lesser known cities for champagne (still in the champagne region).  Got to do some sampling and picked up a few bottles - the average price per bottle is about 15 Euro, quite cheap.  Also had a session arranged with a guy who makes his own champagne as a 'hobby' (does about 1000 bottles a year, it is his 'vin du table'.  It was quite interesting to see how he makes it and the differences between the types.  I found a very stark contrast between his champagne and especially the sparkling wines in BC.  The sparkling wines that they seem to call 'Brut' at home taste more like his 'Brut de brut'.

In other news, early next year, moving to Edinburgh for at least a year, so if you need some maltage, you are always most welcome!

Hope all goes well for you, look forward to hearing about the adventures at the Island Inn!  Give my best to Cora Lee! cheers pedrito (aka sneaky pete)
 Hi Pedrito!


Great to hear from you at long last! I assumed you were simply to pushed for time. Sorry we missed a visit, however! We like Blue Grouse as well. Hans Kiltz is quite  a character! Troyes sounds fantastic! Wonderful news about Edinburgh! In fact, we are working on a house exchange, next year, with friends in Cornwall and Yorkshire so we might just be knocking on your door: "Please, kind Sir, could you spare a wee dram?" Will keep you posted as plan develops.


Keep in touch, Sneaky Pete! Fond regards to you from Chloë and Coriandre! Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Champagne!

Little did The Sisterhood realize it but my crafty ploy to leave out the
date was intended to rouse them out of her narcoleptic stupour! And it
worked! Sometimes one need not use a cattle prod. Stealth and sly craft
subtlety work even better! Cheers, Machieavalli!

PS: You never mentioned if you connected with Bev Ferguson, VIFF volunteer
with me.
 

The Penguin is tied up for the 9th. Haven't heard from Legs yet. However,
let's go with the 9th and we'll fill in the bodies as needed.

Sorry, yes, actually Bev mentioned as soon as we saw her on the Bali trip
about meeting this wild and crazy fellow! Great time with Bev and the rest
of the 39! Charlie



Hi Carlos The Jackal!

Bridge on the 9th of Dicembre it is! Remember, Ragin' Bull and Kerry are always available to spare! Cheers, Patrizio!



No comments:

Post a Comment