Sunday 16 October 2011

IIDD, Oct 16th

Hi Patrick!

The film sounds great. I actually know the girl who played Clara. She is the girlfriend of one of the guys I work with! I'm glad you liked she was very nervous to act in the film!!

Hope all is well. Chat soon


Hi Beckster!

What a sheer delight to learn that you know the young woman who played Clara! Please pass along my deepest thanks to her, (as well as to the male actor), for such stunningly, extraordinarily powerful performances. In particular, at least in my opinion, she is to be congratulated, most highly, for having the sheer courage, conviction and daring to take on such a horrendously demanding role.

Furthermore, I was more than delighted, overjoyed, in fact, to learn that:

The Shaw Media Award for Best Canadian Feature Film--this year for feature directorial debuts--and its $20,000 cash prize goes to Anne Émond of Quebec for Nuit #1. The jury selected this film "for its unflinching intimacy and atmosphere of containment with candour and lucidity."

This is a film that I don't think I'll ever forget. Without any doubt, it's bound to become a classic. Again, it was a privilege to see such superb acting, acting which demands much of the viewer. It is all that one can do not to flinch at the depth and scope of the vulnerability with which she imbues her character. I still shake my head in wonder when I happen to think of some of the absolutely mesmerizing, emotionally intimate, electrically charged scenes.

Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!


Pat,
    You and George were cracking along pretty well also on the return out of Iona. Timing was perfect for me - thanks for the accommodation. Managed a short ride in the afternoon to do some teaching near Granville and 8th followed by some digging in the garden and sun on the deck. All in all, a beautiful day. Drop by and pick up some leeks and kale any time you are out and about, that's providing you are willing to put your feet down for a few minutes.
                                                                                                                                                Ray
 
 Hi Ray!

Trust birthday celebration went well. Sorry I came by when I did. If I'd been a tad later, perhaps I'd have walked off with a slice of cake as well!!!

Thanks very much for all the wonderful vegetables. I took a couple of leeks and carrots, half the cabbage and about same of kale to Flamin'. She asked me to thank you. Am sure she will do in person if our next ride together is at a more "civilized" hour! As I mentioned, I'm hoping to make some leek/potatoe soup over next day or so.

Thanks, as well, for article. Perhaps I could send it along to Catherine, anonymously!!!

I'll be in touch about Tuesday's ride. Cheers, Patrizio!


Those were great reviews.  My adventures are much more pedestrian.  Here I am at the new law school opening with the 11 million dollar man,Pete Allard  the guy who gave a lot of the dough to build the new building and who got a big classroom named for him: Allard Hall.  I knew him 30 years ago.
Next month I'm going to Prince George & Williams Lake to the swearing in ceremonies of two of my fishing buddies, both to be sworn in as provincial court judges.  Oh yes BTW, I have been re-appointed to a 2 year term as member of the BC Mental Health Review Board.
Al


Hi Big Al!

Great snap of you and Pete. I have noticed the name, over the entrance, (opposite Chan), ever since it went up and wondered who had endowed the building! A month or more ago, I meant to mention to you that the old Law library was being demolished, literally, as I happened to cycle by. Is the new one in the Allard Building or will it be on the site of the original? If the latter, I presume that there is swing space of some kind.

Congratulations to being re-appointed to the BC Mental Health  Review Board. In my opinion, you are probably just about the best sort of person for such a position, given your compassion, humility, acute powers of sharp analysis and credible, sensible, intelligible eloquence. I would certainly want someone like you hearing my case, (God forbid that I'm ever in such a situation, mind you!), for if it held merit, I believe you would act in the petitioner's best interest. Again, congratulations. All the best and Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Whirlissimo!

Just wondering if you saw/enjoyed The Guard. I'm planning to ride tomorrow. Let me know if you are on and timing.

Popped by Raymundo's at around 5:00pm this afternoon. He had offered me some wonderful vegetables. I took a couple of leeks and carrots, half the cabbage and about same of kale, he gave me, to Flamin'. She asked me to thank him on her behalf. Am quite sure she will do so in person if our next ride together takes place at a more "civilized" hour! As I mentioned to Ray, I'm hoping to make some leek/potatoe soup over next day or so.

Had a grand sleep in this morning as we had a reasonably late night with The Great White Hunter. In fact, it was probably one of the most delightful evenings I've spent with Henning over the last five to six years. I honestly think that the tropics, (He's now moored in a "hurricane proof" harbour in the Philippines.), have finally caused him to relax. Cora Lee's Book Club friend, Gillian, stayed for dinner after The Sisterhood's small party for Holly, a former Book Club member who recently moved to Washington, D.C., and was back in town tidying up selling her place, etc. Laura, Henning's daughter, and Chloë completed the dinner guest circle. Flamin' was up earlier but we managed to rid ourselves of the Freeloader before we had supper. Maggie was delighted that Molly let as well!!!

Had a wonderful time riding today, although I shudder at how many times my feet actually touched the ground. Started out cycling to the Waldorf on Hastings, a block or so west of Commercial, where VIFF hosted a delicous brunch for its volunteers. I arrives shortly before noon and bumped in Gillian and Judith, (I worked a number of shifts with her at PCP), just leaving food line-up. They saved a spot for me outside and we had a delightful time chatting in the gorgeous sunshine. Food was scrumptios: broiled half  bun slathered in bean paste and white cheese, (I ate mine while in the line-up and had Gillian bring me another when she went for juice!), spicy scrambled eggs, guacamole, tomatoe salsa and two chile sauces, green and red. Dessert was a fresh fruit cup, (canteloupe, melon and fresh blackberries), with very decent, strong java.

Saw another volunteer that I worked with on my first shift, Bev Ferguson, who is leaving for Bali with the Pitchforks tonight/Monday morning at 2:00am! Apparently, Champagne has arranged for the tour group to have access to First Class Lounge before late/early departure! They'll be climbing the hotel porch in Bali when they arrive!

Another chap at the table, Ian, was an absolute hoot. Back in early '70's he smuggled kilos of grass from Mexico into Canada. First as a plane passenger and then under the back seat of a rental car! I'll fill you in on some of hilarious details when we next ride but I think his story will be my first movie script!

Back home I phoned Ragin' to see if he was interested in a ride but he is still working on his Lego/PVC piping structure for his boat cover so he declined to join me. I took the opportunity to visit with Imre and had a really great visit with him. Am so very pleased to say that the latest round of chemotherapy, while initially quite nausea inducing for first day or two after treatment, seems to have done relative wonders. While this is obviously not a cure, his quality of life has increased dramatically, at least in the short term. Funnily enough, he had to kick me out so that he could get ready to go out to dinner at a friend's place. Usually, it is me who has to try to bring visit to an end. Of course I don't mind but there are times when I cannot get a word in edgewise and I simply have to be somewhere else. Anyway, we had fun chatting about a host of things and I was more than delighted to see him wearing a bit of his old self. One day at a time.

Made for Il Giardino di Raymundo just before 5:00pm and spent a few minutes chatting with Sylvia and Ray in their kitchen. Sylvia was baking a 33rd birthday cake for Chris, their youngest son, I believe. I was sorry that I had arrived when I did as cake was still in the oven otherwise I might have nicked a slice!

Tad coolish as I made for home but still a wonderful day. Had 43.33 on the clock so not bad for such a lazy, more than enjoyable day! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Ian!

Great to make your acquaintance this afternoon! Hope we can get together, at some point, as I'd love to hear more about your adventures! As I mentioned, close friend, Andrew, arrives from Toronto, next Saturday, October 22nd. He'll be here for just over a week so if it works, maybe we could get together when he is town, (for a meal or a drink at our place, close to Granville Island, perhaps), if you have time and are interested in meeting, of course. Anyway, I'm keen to read your article so when you have a moment, please send it along. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Patrick. I get notified of emails on my phone, so it's not like I
spend a lot of time on the computer, or anything. But I am in the
kitchen making chai and can send you two articles right now. I
recommend reading the smuggling article from Hustler before the prison
story. That's the chronological order, in any case. And a note: the
drug info and prices were relevant to the '80s, but not likely any
more. Not that I would know.
Love to have a drink with you and your buddy. My cell is
604.XXX.XXX. Email or text me. Cheers.
Ian

PS It looks like something about Whiskey or something below, after
your name. Are you a fan of single malts? We were talking about them
a bit after you left. I have a ticket for the Hopscotch event coming
up next month. Great fun and a chance to sample some different
whiskies.



Hi again, Ian!

Thanks for the two articles. Much appreciated. Will read them with my yogurt and flax granola tomorrow morning as I'm hoping to finish Denis Mina's Still Midnight befoer turning out bedside lamp. I've read two of her earlier works and liked them very much. She is coming to the VIWF and I hope to see her so wanted to read her latest.

In fact, I am a fan of single malt. While I have never been to Hopscotch I did buy Andrew a ticket for this event, in Toronto, a few years ago, for his birthday. Over the years I have not gone to many of these larger wine or malt festivals as I find that the crowds are a bit much after a while. Not that I don't think that they can't be fun. I've certainly gone to plenty of fairly large wine tastings in my time and had a blast. Furthermore, they certainly do expose people to products which they might otherwise not have known about. For my part, I prefer events such as VIWF A Dram Come True. It's a fund raiser for festival and is usually held in a heritage home, (last three years I've attended it has been in Shaughnessey), with about five or six tasting tables, two to four bottles per table, depending on distributor, etc. More like a cocktail party atmosphere in very comfortable, pleasant surroundings.

Together, with a number of friends, fellow malt lovers, obviously, I have organized tastings at our place, over last few years. We choose a theme, (last one, this past July, was two bottles from each region: Lowland, Highland, Speyside, Islay and non-Islay Island malts.), and each participant contributes a bottle. We print up place mats with names, cost, % alcohol, etc., (so that one can keep track of what one has tasted, basically!), rent about 120-150 glasses and make an evening of it. Everyone brings a dish, (appetizer, salad, dessert), Cora Lee, my wife, bbq's something for main course. Significant others are welcome. Many of the wives/girlfriends drink wine over the course of the evening but sometimes the reverse is true, with husbands/boyfriends watching from the sidelines, so to speak. I invited Hal Wake, VIWF Artistic Director, to this last tasting to show him how to run a "real tasting"! Was delighted that he came and seemed to enjoy himself immensely.

Anyway, sounds as if you might be persuaded to come to our place, The so-called Island Inn, (our house in Kits was called Hotel Kits!), to sip a wee dram with Andrew and I. Thanks for your cell number. I'll be in touch as soon as I figure out what days/dates are free or look reasonable for a get together. I'll probably send an email as I don't own a cell! Cheers, Patrizio!

PS: Did you develop a taste for chai when serving time in an Indian prison? Prisons Around the World to Just Around the Corner from You, by ex-con, drug cartel magnate, Ian XXXXXX, BC Bud Press, 2011. Publisher's note: Mr XXXXXX will be speaking at VIWF this coming week, Saturday, October 22nd, in the Cigar Room of the Granville Island Hotel. A rare Islay malt, (from the lost distillery, Port Ellen, established in 1825, dismantled in 1983), will be served while the author is available to sign his book.


Funny. Never made the Indian prison scene, but I an a recovering chai addict. Manage to keep it to about one or two cups a week these days.

From the phone of Ian M.


Hi Laura:

Great to see you again last night, as well as your Dad, of course. Really enjoyed seeing him and pleased he seems so well and happy. Guess he has left by now. Here are a couple of snaps from Saturday night. See you soon, I trust. Cheers, Patrizio!



Hi Patrick! Same here. Nice pictures. Thank you, but none with Henning and
you guys? I got back from the airport a while ago, and Henning should be
boarding right now actually. I will go sit in front of the TV now too and
make myself sleep and dream of waking up in a hot tropical country.
Hugs to Corinne, Chloe and Maggie too, Laura :)


Hi again, Laura!

Yes, I'm sorry that we didn't get any pictures of Henning with us. Should have taken some earlier in the evening.

Had a wonderful time riding today. Started out cycling to the Waldorf on Hastings, a block or so west of Commercial, where VIFF hosted a delicious brunch for its volunteers. Saw another volunteer that I worked with on my first shift, Bev Ferguson, who is leaving for Bali on a tour organized by our friends/travel agents, Susan and Charlie Pitchford at 2:00am! Apparently, Champagne Charlie has arranged for the tour group to have access to First Class Lounge before late/early departure, depending on how you look at it! They'll be climbing the hotel porch in Bali when they arrive! Wonder if Henning bumped into them before he left!

All my goils are fast asleep now so will hug them in the morning! Cheers, Patrizio!



Hi Gillian!

Great to see you again at the VIFF brunch, along with Judith. Here are a couple of snaps from Saturday night. See you at VIWF! Cheers, Patrizio!

No comments:

Post a Comment