Tuesday 18 October 2011

IIDD, Oct 17th

 A problem well stated is a problem half solved. -Charles F. Kettering, inventor and engineer (1876-1958)

P,

Really enjoyed The Guard -- it was great fun. I am a sucker for that Irish
humour. The sisterhood was not amused by the violence.

Saw a great concert last night at the St James Community Centre. I will tell
you about that when I see you.

Sounds like you took full advantage of the lovely day lasterday. I was out
on a 'sprint' with Cobby (Jacob) when you called -- a sprint for him anyway.

I MAY be able to ride mid afternoon depending on what I get done today. If
that works for you let's talk midday. Tuesday is out but Wednesday may work
for me.  W


Hi Giggster!

Curious to hear about the concert at St James. As I may have mentioned, that is the property that basically keeps Trinity going. I guess we'll have to send Ms Sensitiva to see Bambi with Sharktooth Annie, the sanitized version without the death of Bambi's Mom!!!

I plan to pop by Stormin's sample sale on my way back from looping Lord Stanley's squirrel reserve. After that I have orders from The Sisterhood to have a haircut to rid myself of my Mountain Man look! If you are able to ride, mid-afternoon, perhaps we could "sprint" out to UBC and along MD. You could head for home at Dunbar while I continue on to West Boulevard. I'll give you a shout when back and we'll plan accordingly.

I'm up for both Tuesday and Wednesday, probably around 8-8:30am. Ray would like to ride on Tuesday so we'll be able to malign you and your "fakin'" sprints then. Do you have ancestors from Dublin? Need to be back in time to see readings I'm interested in attending. Usual start time, for first afternoon events, for duration of festival, is 1:00pm.

Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Thanks for your kind words, Pat. The old law library is just a pile of
cement rubble with pieces of re-bar mixed in. The plans for that particular
piece of real estate are still in the air-maybe residences, maybe parking
lot. This summer the books were moved to the new library, located in the new
building on the second floor. Really nice, airy, lots of windows, carrells,
tables, subdued hues etc. Seemed somewhat anti-human to me, but what do I
know? That photo of me and Allard was snapped in the library entry hall.


Patrick,
Late this afternoon two box office volunteers cancelled, leaving 10 open shifts, starting tomorrow evening. I feel as if I am up the proverbial creek!!!
If you can take an extra shift or two and would be happy to help on box office, please let me know ASAP. We need your help!
Shifts available:
*Tues evening 6:30-9 pm
*Wed morning 8:30 am - 10 am
*Wed evening 6:30 -9 pm
*Thursday evening 6:30- 9pm
*Friday morning 8:30 am - 10 am
*Sunday morning 9:30 am - 11 am
*Sunday evening 6:30 - 9 pm
Thanks so much, I am looking forward to hearing from you!!!
Kathryn

Kathryn:

I'm available for the following morning shifts as well as the evening shift on Sunday. As you know, both Cora Lee and I are scheduled for every evening from Tuesday to Saturday. I could work on Sunday evening but would prefer not to do so, unless you cannot find anyone else, as we have a friend visiting from Toronto.

Wed morning 8:30 am - 10 am
Friday morning 8:30 am - 10 am
Sunday morning 9:30 am - 11 am
Sunday evening 6:30 - 9 pm

Cheers, Patrizio! 



Gents,
    Are you up for a ride tomorrow? Fairly flexible but would like to be back by 1.
                                                                                                                    Ray



Hi Lads!

Giorgio isn't able to ride tomorrow, unfortunately, but I'm certainly looking for a riding companion. Are you interested in Stanley Park, up and over Lions Gate and back again or some other route? Probably 9:00ish for a start if that is fine with you, Ray. I could leave earlier if that is better for your schedule. Give me a phone call around 8:00am or send along a message to confirm. Cheers, Patrizio!



That's fine, Pat. I'll be at your place at 9. Ray

Lads,

Enjoy your ride. Sorry I cannot join you. W


Hi guys,

Glad to hear you have good ridings on the weekend! I hadn't intended on
riding but with the glorious weather on Saturday got the urge . As I neede a
haircut I decided to go to my barber in North Burnaby on Hastings just off
Gilmore, I checked on line for a Burnaby bike trail map and decided on the
"Lakes" route which goes north to south from my neighbourhood over through
the "Buckingham" area which is kind of Burnabys equivalent to Shaughnessy
in the west side of Vancouver, There are large mansions with views of Deer
lake, S.F.U. and the northshore mountains .I Wound my way through that 'hood
coming out at Sperling at the east end of Deer lake . From there it was over
hwy. 1 at Kensington then down beside Burnaby lake and over the new
pedestrian overpass at Winston st. and then steadily uphill still on the
Lakes route up Curtis and assorted other quieter side streets to Frances
which parrallels Hastings. From here it was heading west towards Gilmore,

quite pleasant with the occaissional hill to climb and then some coasting
down the other sides.

I arrived at the destination at approximately 10:30 after having left my
place about 9:45 had my haircut and then headed back but this time took the
sea to river route more or less straight down to the central valley greenway
that goes behind the new Costco, over Hwy.1 again via the Douglas overpass.
From there I headed back to Deer lake and around the south side towards the
gravel path that heads up the hill to Oakalnd street. Huffed and puffed non
stop up there to Oakland and crossed there to Dufferin st. which is another
4 block very steep incline. Went nonstop again finally reaching the summit
at Bryant st. where it is about 5 blocks east back towards our house.

Made it back at 11:48 and was feeling quite pleased with the accomplishment
and discovering a nice new route that I'm sure will do again before long.

Hope to head out with you guys again soon.

Take care, Al



Hi Big Al et al:

Enjoyed hearing about "uncharted territory", for me at least. Would like to do some version of the ride you described when we can arrange such an outing. Going to be difficult until next week at the earliest as Cora Lee and I will be busy volunteering until Sunday with the VIWF. Not sure what Marcus' schedule is like but presume he'll be logging his miles riding to volunteer.

Close friend, Andrew, arrives from Toronto, early Saturday morning, for a little over a week. He claims he can't ride up any hills so will probably keep to Seawall and Stanley park while he is here but might drop him off after that and head out to UBC for a longer ride, weather permitting, of course. Anyway, will be in touch about that later.

Had a grand ride around Stanley Park just before noon today. Simply delightful with sun shining and geese waddling across bike path! After circumcycling park, I made for Stormin's Norman's sample sale at the FX Fashion Exchange, just behind Home Depot, on Glen Drive. Followed 1st across Main annd with just a bit of dipsy doodling to Industrial Avenue which parallels Terminal Avenue without the traffic. Takes one right into parking lot at Home Depot and thence to FX. Had 30.33K on the clock when I arrived. As Raymundo and Giorgio know, Stormin' played squash at VRC but moved to Courtenay a number of years ago. had a great visit and picked up eight shirts. Great deals indeed! Norm threw in a bicycle helmet cover for night riding. Made from reflective fabric, I'll look like Rudolph!

Back home to phone Whirlygig to see if he was able to join me for a Foreshore Hill jaunt but he was welded to his computer so had to decline. I set off at just after 3:00pm, and, like you, Big Molly, I was headed for my barber. Quite a strong head wind so I toiled along until I was on Marine Drive making for 41st. Traffic was fairly light so I stayed on 41st until Trafalgar and then meandered to arrive at Economy Barbershop on 41st and West Boulevard, or is it Arbutus at that point? I can never figure out or remember which street is where at this particular intersection.

At any rate, I only had to wait for a few minutes until Dino was free and we had a great time chatting about all and sundry. He is a great hunter so I quiz him about his latest outings and before I know it, I'm shorn! Thanked Dino and decided to return home via UBC so retraced my earlier route and was home at about 6:30pm with 87.33K on the trusty odometer. If I discount the number of times my feet touched the ground, using an algorithm that Raymundo had devised as a problem set for a student he was tutoring in Advanced Astrophysics, I turns out that I should have stayed in bed!

Still, I did get to enjoy the ocean and the mountains and the real honking of the Canada Geese, (no Whirlygig sound-alikes, thank you!), in spite of the fact that I had to subtract -50K from yesterday's ride of 41.33K so I'm even further behind, relatively speaking! Cheers, Il Conduttore Who coitainly ain't no Einstein!!!


Thanks for the message! All good here but all "go". Just need to find our rhythm. Hope all's well with you. J

Hi again, Mom-A-Go-Go!

Just do the Baby Boogie Woogie and all will be well!



Both Cora Lee and I are scheduled for every evening from Tuesday to Saturday, working a bar at Studio 1398 for the VIWF. As well, we have a friend visiting from Toronto for the week following so we need to find our "rhythm" as well! Cheers, Patrizio!


Thanks for your kind words, Pat. The old law library is just a pile of
cement rubble with pieces of re-bar mixed in. The plans for that particular
piece of real estate are still in the air-maybe residences, maybe parking
lot. This summer the books were moved to the new library, located in the new
building on the second floor. Really nice, airy, lots of windows, carrells,
tables, subdued hues etc. Seemed somewhat anti-human to me, but what do I
know? That photo of me and Allard was snapped in the library entry hall.
 
Hi Big Al!

Thanks for update on Law Library. I must pop in sometime and take a look for myself. Was out past UBC today but didn't have time for a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment