Wednesday 12 October 2011

IIDD, October 12th

Now I can look at you in peace; I don't eat you any more. -Franz Kafka, novelist (1883-1924) [while admiring fish in an aquarium] 

Well your feet sure look good. 
 
I don't understand about the upstairs and downstairs.  Have you moved? 
 
Hey, we celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving on Sunday.  I think your timeing makes much more sense anyway and a bunch of our friends were going to be gone in Nov. so this worked out great.  I was smart, I just brought sweetpotatoes to someone elses house. 
 
Glad to hear you had a great time.
gail


Hi Gail!

Perhaps you don't remember but we actually live on the 2nd floor, even though one can come onto our patio from ground level. This is due to way building is situated, built into a small hill. Consequently, there is a floor below us and that is where the Sutherlands live.

Was a bit damp this morning but by about noon sky started to clear. Pleased as I made my last round of program deliveries on Granville Island for the VIWF. Very pleasant for the few hours I was pulling my cart around. After finishing my route I went back home and changed into cycling gear and then took a spin out to UBC. Had taken my sunglasses along, just in case sun decided to peek through the heavy cloud cover. By the time I was at UBC it was quite sunny so I needed the shades!

Home with 41.33k on my odometer and just in time to walk over to GI with Cora Lee to the VIWF Volunteer Orientation Session. We both picked up our Volunteer Kits before chatting with fellow volunteers in the lobby of the Waterfront Theatre, venue where session is usually held. Delicious cookies to be had so I feasted! Didn't bother staying for session as we met with our manager in lobby and we sorted out coming shifts and duties. We've both tended bar at the Festival before so not really much to know.  Orientation Session is really for first time volunteers.

Cora Lee stayed as she was waiting for a young woman, Stefania, who is on the Board of Friends of VPL, (Coriandre is the Chair), and is a first time volunteer. Funnily enough, a friend of mine, Mark, knocked on one of the lobby windows I was standing near, shortly after we arrived. He was wearing cycling gear and I was a bit disoriented, initially. He and a number of other friends and I are going riding tomorrow. Before I left for my own ride I had sent an email arranging time and meeting place and my first, confused reaction was that I had forgotten to meet them! As it turned out, Mark had signed up as a volunteer as well and so he was here for orientation in question. Anyway, we had a good laugh. Corinne knows him from my Book Club so she joined us for a few minutes before I waved goodbye to them both.

Weather forecast for rest of week and weekend looks pretty dry so am hoping to log a few long rides, probably Saturday and Sunday. Have my last VIFF shift on Friday so won't be able to ride, other than downtown to theatre.

Cheers, Patrizio!

Hey Patrizio,

Just a reminder, you don't have to purchase the out of province/country medical insurance until you plan to leave the province. So if not leaving tell next years then you can wait until then.

Yummy, yummy with the photos. Made me hungry just looking at them.

Have to start getting ready for the big Bali trip we're going on next Sunday.

Charlie


Hi Carlos!

As I mentioned in last message, we don't plan on leaving province, (Is East Van out of province?), until March. Good luck with your packing!


Great pics! Thanks for the holiday updates...love to all!


Hi Tinselator!

Trust everyone is well. Fondestos, Love and Cheers, Dad!


Pat,

A Thursday ride into Burnaby might work for me depending on what time you
are departing.

I am copying Mark on this missive in case he wants to join us on Thursday. W
Hi guys,
I do want to join you on Thursday if the time works. I had tentatively suggested to Al that we might hook up with youse guys after my volleyball practice on Thursday morning (it ends just before 9:00 a.m.). My map reading suggests Kent and Kerr rather than Kent and Boundary as a good spot - that way we could avoid the long locked-in downhill section coming south on Boundary. I think I could be there by about 9:30. Keep me posted.
    
8^) cheers, Mark
 
Hi Patrice,

Thanks for the writing compliment, You are an inspiration to spend a little
more thought and time in my writing as you obviously do as well. Thanks
also for the descriptive re the latest films, you really got me wanting to
see Bertrand's "Flirting" . This really sounds like my cup of tea as I can
really appreciate the time and effort it would take to produce this kind of
work. I have become very jaded about film in general and find it hard to
watch mainstream subject matter ie bad acting, shooting , poor repetetive
computer effects etc. Where and how long is the film playing? I tried going
on the VIFF site and it was blank for some reason.

I would love to go for a ride if the weather cooperates for us, I will also
try and find a pair of handlebars tomorrow as my neck and upper back are
quite sore I wound up doing a river jaunt yesterday with a friend Glen who
hasn't riden in three or four years. He did quite well all things considered
such as the weather , it was pooring by the time we got to the river and we
were drenched by the time we got back here. Quite enjoyable despite the
deluge as it was cool and once I was soaked through It didn't matter how
much more it came down ,it didn't bother me.

I'll check in Tomorrow night and we'll make a plan, I will also get in touch
with Mark.

Take care, Al
 
Hi Big Al:

Keep up your writing as you obviously have a natural bent! With respect to Flirting with Heights, it is playing tomorrow, 2:30pm, Granville #4. If you can make it, you won't regret effort.

Liked your attitude towards being soaked to the skin! We'll chat about further rides tomorrow.

Cheers, Patrizio!
 
Hi Al,
At least this morning, the weather gods are promising some decent weather for tomorrow! 

Your route down to the river sounds much better than the one I had in mind. If Pat etc. come our way on Thursday we should hook up with them; otherwise maybe you could show me the route you described earlier (skytrain trail, Nelson, Mckay etc.). How about I swing by your place shortly after 9:00 tomorrow and we can go from there?
 
8^) cheers, Mark
 
Hi Mark,
 
 That sounds good. So that would put us down at boundary and Kent around 9:30 - 9:45.
 
How does that work for you gents?.
 
oTo
 
Pat,

It looks like my sister is going to move my father into a care facility. Maybe you could tell me what you think of the Broadway Pentecostal Lodge.  

Thanks, W

Hi Whirls!

Overall, we are quite pleased with Broadway Lodge, not the least of which is
its proximity to our place. From the care point of view, Mom is well looked
after. Long term, full assistance, is simply not an easy task, as I'm sure I
need not tell you. Staff, in general, are patient, attentive, concerned and
genuinely affectionate. Naturally, things being what they are, staff are
very busy, if not overworked, ratio of patients to nursing staff/care aides
being what it is. Whether the mental/social/physical stimulation provided is
enough, for those residents capable of responding, or capable of benefiting
from such therapy is always open to question. Just not sure if it would be
any different in a private facility that is far more expensive and serves
"designer/gourmet" food, for example. If one can afford such places and
wants such surroundings, then fine be it. Without wishing to deny a relative
care for the sake of the inheritance, I'm not sure, depending on patient,
that it really makes any difference. When Mom was in, so-called assisted
living at Edith Cavell, she really didn't receive much, if any,
"assistance"! While it worked for her, at the time, it wasn't a solution as
her mind and ability to dress/feed herself deteriorated. For my part, I felt
that such "assistance" really needed to be offered, at that point in the
aging process, but that is another matter, of course.

Mom was in Yountville, near Heather and 33rd, for a month, before coming to
Broadway Lodge. It is a notch higher on attractiveness scale, (Lovely view
of QE Park out her window BUT was it for visitors or residents who may well
not be able to appreciate/enjoy scenery? At Broadway, there is a wonderful
roof-top garden but it is under utilized. Staff have little time to take
patients there and even those able to go by themselves don't seem to visit,
in our experience. It is my observation that he world of the elderly, like
Alice, begins to shrink and shrink.), and residents eat on the floor where
they live. Consequently, dining area is much smaller and has more of a
"large family" feel, as opposed to necessarily large dining area of most
facilities of the kind. You might want to take a look at place, if that is
an option

Again, this is a difficult question and really depends on so many factors:
the health, mental and physical, of the individual, ability to pay,
proximity of relatives, etc. I know I need not tell you this but I mention
it as the family has to struggle with these questions at each stage of the
aging process and what works, or seems to work, for one person may not be
appropriate in another case. Perhaps you should pop by in the next little
while and we could go over and you could have a look around. The whole
question of availability is another matter, of course. Hope this is of some
help but we should probably chat in person. It goes without saying that Cora
Lee's opinion would certainly be worthwhile hearing.

With respect to riding, Thursday looks like we may have a peleton! Are you
thinking of a jaunt today? I hope to try to dodge the drops at some point so
let me know. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pat,

Thank you for this fulsome and thoughtful response. We will chat some more
about this when we are stuck in the peloton tomorrow. I would like to hear
Corinne's thoughts as well. A visit may be a good idea.

Kerry is asking if there is a piano there. Apart from my father's interest
in residency, Tia would like to come and play for your mother and her fellow
inhabitants.

Sorry to say that I cannot get out today although it looks like it might be
an okay day for a ride.  

Hi Whirls!

Glad my thoughts were of some use. Yes, indeed , there is a piano. Not a grand but rather an upright. Trust Carnegie Hall Tia Maria won't mind! I'm sure she would be much appreciated by everyone, especially while we are playing bridge with Dodie Dodenheimer, partnered by Kilroy!!!

I'm off to deliver VIWF programs shortly and then a quick, dry ride, I trust! Will chat about domani's excursion but looks very exciting! Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 


Mark & Al,

Fine by me. Pat and I will have been around Stanley Park, UBC, Iona and to Steveston, so we will almost be warmed up.G

Hi Lads!

Whirlygig forgot to mention the ascent of Seymour as part of warm-up!

Ray, if you are able to join the peleton, I assume we'll meet at 2nd and Macdonald around 8:00-8:15, Thursday morning, as this is Whirlygig's favourite rendezvous! Please confirm and synchronize watches! Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 

Recommend a slight detour to Crescent Beach to ensure you are fully ready for us.
    
8^) cheers, Mark

Hi Lads!

Just thought I'd send along a confirmation message to say we will meet at 2nd and Macdonald at 8:10am, Thursday, October 13th!

Cora Lee stayed as she was waiting for a young woman, Stefania, who is on the Board of Friends of VPL, (Coriandre is the Chair), and is a first time volunteer. Funnily enough, and much to my immediate surprise, Marcus Aurelius knocked on one of the lobby windows I was standing near, shortly after we arrived. He was wearing cycling gear and I was a bit disoriented, not to say discombobulated, initially! Again, as you both know, before I left for my own ride I had sent an email arranging time and meeting place and my first, confused reaction was that I had forgotten to meet Al and Mark! I suppose I was so surprised because I had never expected to see Mark at session, in the first place, (I had forgotten that he had asked me about volunteering some time ago.), let alone in cycling garb, pushing his bike! As it turned out, Mark had signed up as a volunteer as well and so he was here for orientation in question. Anyway, we had a good laugh. Ray, Corinne knows him from my Book Club so she joined us for a few minutes before I waved goodbye to them both.

Weather forecast for rest of week and weekend looks pretty dry so am hoping to log a few long rides, probably Saturday and Sunday. Have my last VIFF shift on Friday so won't be able to ride, other than downtown to theatre. We can chat about that tomorrow.

Cheers, Patrizio!
 
Hi Kathryn!

Thanks for update on liquor, etc. Will see you on Wednesday evening, if not beforehand.

Hi Sandra!

Trust you enjoyed the Thanksgiving weekend.

Here is latest draft of delivery sheet. I'll be by in the next little while to chat and deliver more grograms. Cheers, Patrizio!
 

Hi Laura

Lovely to see you on Sunday. Thanks for all the presents! Look forward to having you back, with Henning, this coming Saturday. Cheers, Patrizio!


Same here. See you Saturday :) Laura

Hi Laura:

Chloë asked me to save some empty wine bottles for Little Eva and the Imperiales so I have two cases waiting for you to collect on Saturday! Tell her that I charge a full bottle in return!!!
Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment