Wednesday 26 October 2011

IIDD, Oct 26th

I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy. -J.D. Salinger, writer (1919-2010) 

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)  
Hi, Patrick. Thanks for the invite. Today's my mom's 88th birthday, so we'll be having a birthday dinner. Working the rest of the week and like to get an early night, but Friday definitely sounds like a possibility. I don't play Bridge but would be interested to watch. Just riding back over Lions Gate so I'll get back to you later. Email me later this week, if you could.
Cheers. Ian 



Hi Ian!

Trust that your Mom's 88th went well. My Mother celebrated her 98th on September 22nd!

Had a wonderful ride yesterday with a number of friends. Met at Crown and SW Marine Drive, (One of group, Ken, lives in Ladner and so drove to rendezvous. He is Ray's friend and this was first time we've met.), and cycled back to UBC and around campus as Ken had not really been there since he graduated in 1974! Back towards Kits along Spanish Banks and then around Seawall, past Science World, to circumcylce Stanley Park. We often ride over the Lions Gate and back but Ray had a time constraint, (He is a retired math teacher and still tutors quite a few students.), so we just enjoyed the wonderfully calm ocean and gorgeous sunshine.

Once around park, Ray, (Robo Ray/Raymundo), and Ken, (no nickname yet as we've just met, as I mentioned above), left us to make their way over Burrard Bridge while George, (Whirlygig/Giorgio),  and I retraced our earlier route around Science World back to our place, (Harbour Terrace, 1425 Lamey's Mill Road, #20, 604-734-9200), arriving just after noon. I started at 8:25am so it was a fairly decent ride, as far as distance and time are concerned, as I logged 73.33K by time we reached our place.

As I mentioned, you are more than welcome to be an "official observer" on Friday. People will be arriving between 6:00pm-7:00pm, so come whenever convenient. I have attached directions for how to find our place if the address alone isn't sufficient Look forward to hearing more about your exploits! Cheers, Patrizio!


We are looking at being in Australia from Mar 17th to Apr 20th 2012. No firm plans yet but hope to be in Brisbane for a couple of days. What are your upcoming plans.  W 


G'day Wayne and Michelle

Great to hear from you. Regarding March/April we will be here on the Gold Coast, as I have given up on trying to find a warm place in the northern hemisphere for my birthday in March. At this stage we will probably be catching up with friends in Europe in June/July for a walking tour in France or Italy(not sure about the walking bit) and a bit of drive around the the Emerald Isle involving a great deal of eating and drinking in small Irish pubs. Anyway as I've said before you are more then welcome to stay with us as we have a four bedroom house close to the beach, restaurants and good coffee shops. We are centrally located for a number of interesting short trips from coast towns to what we describe locally as the mountains or in your case probably oversized hills.

Cheers for now, Tony and Elly



Hi Elly and Tony!

Trust you are both well! Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply to your last message to Sarge, sent way back in September. Interestingly enough it was dated the 22nd, my Mom's 98th birthday! At any rate, thank you both for the kind invitation to stay. Sounds like a wonderful situation so looking forward to visiting already.

Have been busy, of late, volunteering first with the Vancouver International Film Festival and then followed immediately afterward by the VI Writers Festival. Both were truly wonderful, saw some incredible documentaries as well as feature films, listened to many exciting and remarkable authors, one being Cate Kennedy. She read from her latest work, a debut novel, The World Beneath, and had us in stitches. Do you know her work?

At any rate, last Thursday, came home to find the Freeloader Sutherlands upstairs, after their Thursday night curling match. Chloë, our daughter, was there as well and all five of us sat around and chatted and sipped wine, a Quinta Ferreira, Oliver, Okanagan, BC, 2009 Viognier, 16.6%, from downstairs and a 2008 Fruit Bomb, red table wine, (Cabbage, Merlot, Syrah, Malbec and Cab Franc), Columbia Valley, Washington, 13.9%, from the cellars of the Island Inn.

After solving most of the world's problems, we focused on hammering out the bare bones of our Australian itinerary, inasmuch as deciding when we plan to be in different cities and how we will move around the country. Essentially, we will rent a car in Sydney, (March 16th) and drive, with Sarge, from there to Melbourne to collect Flamin', there on points, on March 17th. Leaving on the 22nd/23rd, next will be to Adelaide, cross-country, via Clare and Barossa, to arrive in the city on the 25th. From Adelaide, probably leaving on the 29th, we'll either head south to McLaren Vale and then along the coast back towards Melbourne, in order to visit the Mornington Peninsula, below Melbourne or make our way back to Sydney, via Yarra and Rutherglen. Once in Sydney, April 2nd, we will stay for best of a week and then drive north, April 7th, via Hunter Valley, paralleling coast, stopping on the Gold Coast, April 10th/11th, to stay with you and then next into Brisbane itself, 14th/15th, for some time with Clare/Gregg.

Once stay in Brisbane comes to an end, April 18th, we'll turn in car and fly to Cairns for a little less than a week. At this point, not sure where Cora Lee and I will make for as we will still have a bit more than a couple of weeks in Oz before heading to Japan, from Sydney, May 11th. F/S will fly to Melbourne and Sydney, (April 22nd), respectively, to return to Vancouver, next day. Whether we manage to visit Darwin or return to Sydney and/or Canberra has yet to be worked out.

We are open to any suggestions you might have so please feel free to comment on any of the stages as outlined above, particularly in your neck of the woods and Cairns. Nothing is really set in stone yet
so would certainly appreciate any local knowledge.

All the best. Fond regards from Cora Lee to you both,. Cheers, Patrizio!



Pat,

Any night you have difficulty sleeping, watch this:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oizS3DWPj6E&feature=player_embedded

This is the old town of Hartlepool next to my town, West Hartlepool; twin towns and lots of
rivalry in my time there. Flurry of e-mails from the 2 Jimmies in England. They obviously enjoyed it.
 

Enjoyed the ride today, sorry about the delay. Perhaps we could go out
to Ken's in Ladner one day, either for a long ride when we have time or take
the bikes on the car and do our riding over there. Looking to ride Thursday
if the weather cooperates. Ray



Hi Ray!

Thanks for clip! I enjoyed it immensely, in fact. Bit like watching newsreels that used to be shown at cinema when I was in Cyprus. I'm sure you saw such films yourself, British Pathé, was one, I think. Thought I saw you and Jim on the soccer pitch or in the background, watching the bathing beauty contest!

Great ride. I was glad for slight delay as it gave me an excuse and a chance to "circle" for a legitimate reason! Really enjoyed meeting Ken. He will certainly up the pace if we continue to ride with him! Hate to see him when he's in shape if Tuesday's ride was an example of not having ridden for sometime!

After we left you to make your way over Burrard Bridge, Whirlygig and I retraced our earlier route around Science World back to our place, arriving just after noon. I started at 8:25am so it was a fairly decent ride, as far as distance and time are concerned, as I logged 73.33K by time we reached our place. Hoped, as I walked in the door, that I wouldn't collapse on ice at curling that evening!

I invited Whirlissimo in for a spot of lunch and friend, Andrew, (El Cordobés), whipped us up absolutely fabuloso cheese and avocado omelettes! Ragin' Bull phoned just after we walked in door and wanted to go for a ride! Told him we had honked at him at around 10:30am, on way to SP, so invited him for a java. He arrived just as we were finishing our meal and we chatted over cookies and more coffee before Whirls and I said goodbye to Ragin'. Giorgio's girlfriend, Kerry, has an eleven-year old daughter, Tia, who is going to play the piano on November 11th, at Broadway Lodge, where Mother is a resident, as I think you know. I wanted to introduce George to chap, Bob, who looks after social activities so that they could make arrangements for Tia's recital. While the two were chatting I visited Mom and put cream on her arms and the back of her hands. At her age her skin is very dry and lotion certainly helps. While there I helped her with her juice. Bit like priming a pump as at first she would only chew the straw in the cup. Had to make her take a sip from the open container and then after that she seemed to remember how to draw the liquid up through the straw. Unfortunately, she isn't really able to comprehend any instructions for drinking or sipping. Once a given process is started, it seems that some sort of reflex mechanism sets in and, by and large, she then knows the appropriate response. Still, she finished the entire glass and was smiling by the time it was finished. Kissed her goodbye and said hello to a number of other residents we have come to know on way out.

Back home, Andrew was waiting for me as we had to drive out to the airport. When he left Toronto, last Saturday, he didn't realize, for some inexplicable reason, that he couldn't take the bottle of bourbon, Eagle Rare, 45%, he was bringing as a present for me, in his carry-on. Since he had already checked his bag, he had to leave the security area and return to the WestJet counter for a small box. He wrapped the bottle, (already in bubble wrap), in a few T-shirts and packaged it up. Once in Vancouver, it wasn't with his other bag so he filed a missing luggage form. When he told me what had happened, (I thought that he had missed his flight as he should have been out of the terminal by about 9:25am and I didn't locate him, at WestJet's YVR service counter, until shortly after 10:00am. This after circling three times and then eventually finding a spot in the "Loading Only" lane where one can usually park for a few minutes without being told to move on by the YVR Traffic Polizei! By 10:00am I decided that I needed to go inside as nobody was coming out of the terminal by this time. I told the warden that I would only be a minute or so and headed in search of the lost soul!), I thought that that would be the last we would see of the package. Felt especially badly for Andrew as I know he was quite excited about giving me the gift.

At any rate, WestJet called, just as the chef was finishing his masterpieces, to inform him that the parcel had finally arrived! To boot, they gave me a $100 credit towards my next flight with them for simply coming to collect the package. Everybody was happy!

I'm keen to ride tomorrow. Does 9:00am sound fine? Macdonald/Point Grey? I'd like to go to Iona, via Spanish Banks, if that suits you as far as time, etc., as weather doesn't look particularly good for longish ride on weekend. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizio! 



Hi Legs!

Sorry to learn that The General is flying to Onterrible but all the more tart 
crust with gluten free flour or fruit crumble with gluten free topping, 
whichever is easiest or preferable, given your hectic schedule! Thanks!!! We can 
chat about arrival time, etc., closer to Friday, but anytime around 6:00pm, 
(7:30pm for you!), is fine.

Il Conductore,
 
Confirmazione on the gluten free dessert.  Do you have room for one more?  Castenettes misses you and Corinne very much and has offered to help you with you practice for Gamble 100 auctioneer.
 
L'Chaim, Legs
 
Hi Leggage!

Costanza is always welcome! Bring her along! In fact, fold her into the gluten 
free pie crust! Cheers, Il Conduttore

PS: Of course, I relish, positively salivate at the thought of Stanzzzzzzzzza 
helping me with the Gamble Auction! I'm sure, her undeniable, magnetic, sultry 
and alluring presence will up the bids to astronomical heights!
 
I think your reading glasses need a stronger prescription....
Stanza is Stanza, Castennettes is Ruth.  Is that still ok? 
 
Hi Leggage!

It isn't my reading glasses, (I don't need them!), it was the viewing through 
the bottom of my malt glass that caused mistake, for your snarky information!! 
Of course, Ruthless is more than welcome! What about the Chant of Jimmy 
Blacksmith? Let me know. L'Chaim and Cheers, Eye Dottore! Il Conduttore, through 
a glass darkly! 
 
The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith has some function that he's going to so Ruthless is "bach-ing" on Friday night. 
 
see you around 7-ish...
Legs
 
Hi Kilroy, Whirlygig and Carlos the Jackal!

Trust The Thompson Twins are celebrating nothing but wins in Portland!!! You
did send along that list of untranslatable words, Whirlissimo, but I was
delighted to be reminded of Tartle, Scottish: The act of hesitating while
introducing someone because you've forgotten their name! I'm sure I suffer
from tartlephobia!!!Glad you enjoyed the paraprosdokians. So did Big Al, by
the way. Don't even think twice about family matters. You weren't ranting at
all. If it had been me I think you probably have had to call in 'Orrible
'Ungie to restrain me!!!

With respect to Broadway Lodge, aka Carnegie Hall, I spoke to chap, Wayne,
who does a lot of the social activities coordination there and he said it
would be great. Guess you and/or Kerry/Tia need to come and scope out
physical facilities, piano, etc., and then it is a matter of sorting out
dates, times, expectations, (on both sides, I guess), etc. Wayne mentioned
November 11th though you mentioned 12th or 13th as possibilities. Of course
we can chat about it when you are back or Kerry can give me a shout when
convenient.

Speaking of Kerry, Kerry, we are hosting a bridge night on Friday, October
28th and we'd be delighted if both of you, (and Tia if that works), would
like to join us. However, I believe The Giggster may be in SF. I plan to
invite Marcus and Susan as well, so you would be among friends, Kerry! At
any rate, let me know about Tia's playing and bridge when you have a moment.
 
P,

Sorry for the slow response. E-mail connectivity was not what I had expected
over the weekend.

Greetings from many in Portland -- specifically the Ushers -- GordONe, Cici
& Gavin who is now, at 13 years, over 6 feet tall and playing with Gord!

We were happy with our performance on the court -- held our own in the 50s
even though we did not win a match and won the Div 1. Donated Portland glass
hardware to the AA in lieu of excesses over the weekend.

VWF sounds unbelievable.

Thanks for the invite to Bridge night. I will be away that evenng. I have
prodded the sisterhood to respond assuming she has not already. I hope we
can get in on another hand sometime soon.

Cannot ride today but am good to go tomorrow if that is workable for you and
others. Only restriction so far is a 8:45 drop of the MT. Weather looks
promising. W
 
Good day Patrick!

Thank you very much for paving the way for Tia to perform at Broadway Lodge, you may be her agent. She would love that. I really appreciate your being open to this idea. Other kids at Tia's piano school (VAM) have been playing at 'the lodges' and it has helped them feel more comfortable playing the piano in front of others. I also hope the people at 'the lodge' enjoy this attention. It is a great way for Tia to do something nice for others and gain some piano experience. At the moment Tia has 4 favourites that she would like to play, all very short. It will take about 20 minutes or less. We will bring along a nice tray of cookies for everyone. I hope this is a good thing for everyone...the piano playing, not the cookies!! However, I should find out if any of the folks have allergies. When would be a good time to scope out the location? Since the 11th is Remembrance Day that could work well for us, whatever works best for others is good for us. Also, want to keep this very, very casual, if only a few people show up that is totally fine.

I'm flattered that you would invite me over to play bridge in George's absence! Unfortunately, I have a very sophisticated evening planned. Tia and I will be heading to Lord Tennyson Elementary School to be spooked and scared out of our wits at their annual Halloween party. We are going with our friend Martin Krestow and his two boys, Owen and Bryn. You are all most welcome to join us - you could get all sugared up and then play bridge.

Hope to see you soon, and thanks. Kerry (and Tia)
 
Hi Bob,

My name is Kerry Kilmartin and I understand that Patrick Dunn and my partner, George Maddison, were by the Lodge yesterday to inquire about the possibility of my daughter Tia playing the piano for the residents of Broadway Lodge. I also understand that you are open to this idea, which is great!

Tia has been taking piano lessons at the Vancouver Academy of Music and part of the program requires her to perform a recital at the end of the year. Some of the other children at VAM have started to play piano at other seniors centres and it seems like such a nice idea. It is a way for Tia to do something for others and to gain some confidence playing the piano.

Pat mentioned that November 11th is a good day for the residents of the Lodge and this also works for us.

Would you like to meet with Tia and I to make further arrangements? We are free to come by this weekend, at your convenience.

I look forward to meeting you!

All the best, Kerry

Hi Kerry:

It is so nice to hear from you and so promptly.  Yes, we here at the Lodge are very excited that Tia would be available to play for our Elder’s on Nov. 11.  Our other Activity Worker Wayne Johnston will be doing the service for that day at 10:00 a.m. and leading up to the minute of silence at 11:00 hrs.

Neither Wayne or I are working this weekend but we have Fe who will be working on Saturday and Sunday. If you and Tia and George would like to come in and introduce yourselves to Fe, that would be great. Also, it would give Tia an opportunity to see some of our Elder’s and the piano that she would be playing. We have a couple so she could probably take her pick.

Also any other time before the 11th, that Tia is free, please let me know and we will accommodate you so that Tia can play for our Elder’s. We would be more than delighted as I am sure our Elder’s will be.

You can call me if you wish. Thanks again. Bob.

Hi Kerry and Tia Maria!

Glad things seem to be working out at Broadway Lodge. Sorry you and Tia are otherwise engaged on Friday. Speaking of things Halloweenish, Chloë went to the Dunbar Haunted House, (now actually under the Oak Street Bridge off SW Marine), this evening and she said it was wonderful, scary as all get out! If you are going to take a look at BL on Saturday, pop by to say hello. Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Bob,

This is so nice of you. Does this mean that Tia will be part of your Remembrance Day Ceremony? Is it quite formal? I’m curious to know how many people she might be playing in front of?

We will come by and meet Fe this Saturday, maybe around 10:30-11am. Also, I will touch base with you by phone after we have met with Fe.

This is very exciting! Tia is only 9 years old and in grade 4, so there is a bit of learning curve here (for me too!).

I look forward to meeting the folks at Broadway, and you and others who work there. It will also be nice to meet our friend Patrick’s mother.

All the best, and thank you. Kerry
 
Hi Lads!

Trust everyone is well.
 
Just in case anyone needs a copy of Billionaire's Vinegar, I have a VPL copy that isn't due until October 28th. I'm happy to lend it to anyone who might still need it. (In exchange for a bottle of malt, that is!!!) Cheers, Il Conduttore! 

Hi Patrick,
 
The book loan will expire in 2 days :). Should i return it or can you renew?
T h a n k y o u M

Patricio, let me just return it in a due time. please don't worry about it.
(i am off into the r a i n)

Hi Misha!

Sorry I didn't read your email sooner as I renewed book ands it isn't due until November 15th1 Keep it until then if you still have it. Are you planning to attend on Sunday? If you will need a parking spot just let me know. Cheers, Patrizio!
 
The next meeting will be this coming Sunday, 30 October, at the Island Inn. Let us know if you cannot attend. I will be out of town that night.

The book is The Billionaire's Vinegar - The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine by Benjamin Wallace (Dave). The book to follow will be Panicking Ralph, an early work by Bill James in his Harpur & Iles series (Pat).  Mark will choose the book to follow the Nafisi.
  
Hi George, unfortunately I won't be able to make it. My squash league team is having a practice on Sunday night, and as captain, I need to be there!
 
I'll be at the next gathering! Milton
 

Whenever a man has cast a longing eye on offices, a rottenness begins in his conduct. -Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment