Wednesday 5 October 2011

IIDD, October 5th

If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. -Juan Ramon Jimenez, poet, Nobel Prize in literature (1881-1958) 

Patrick,
Every Writers Festival volunteer serving a minimum of 12 hours during the Festival Week or 15-20 hours pre-festival is entitled to one hard complimentary ticket to a Festival event. Which ticket is awarded is determined by lottery based on event choices submitted on the Ticket Lottery form.
Go to the Festival volunteer webpages and find the Ticket Lottery Request Form. Please submit 5 choices no later than Oct 7th.
Your winning ticket will be included in your volunteer package, available for pick-up at Orientation Oct 12.

Kathryn Fowler, Volunteer Manager

Hi Kathryn!

I submitted my requests for the Ticket Lottery last night. Thanks. How go things? I meant to ask you about parking spot today, for our bar shifts at Studio 1398, to enable Cora Lee and I to transport hootch, etc., from/back to PW, but plumb did forgit! Let me know when you have a minute and are not spending all of your time eatin' cake!!! Thanks. Cheers, Patrizio!

We are looking at being in Australia from Mar 17th to Apr 20th 2012. No firm plans yet but hope to be in Brisbane for a couple of days. What are your upcoming plans.  W 

G'day Wayne and Michelle

Great to hear from you. Regarding March/April we will be here on the Gold Coast, as I have given up on trying to find a warm place in the northern hemisphere for my birthday in March. At this stage we will probably be catching up with friends in Europe in June/July for a walking tour in France or Italy(not sure about the walking bit) and a bit of drive around the the Emerald Isle involving a great deal of eating and drinking in small Irish pubs. Anyway as I've said before you are more then welcome to stay with us as we have a four bedroom house close to the beach, restaurants and good coffee shops. We are centrally located for a number of interesting short trips from coast towns to what we describe locally as the mountains or in your case probably oversized hills.

Cheers for now, Tony and Elly

I guess we now have a couple of options. W 

Hi Gail!
 

Would love to join you in Florida but Cora Lee has to undergo some foot surgery then so she'll be the more than difficult patient for six weeks after that, asking for this, whining about that, from her chair in the living room, beside our electric fireplace. Speaking of communication, or lack thereof, I did my first VIFF volunteer shift today and had arranged to catch a lift with her downtown. She was having lunch with a friend there so she said she would drop me off at noon as my shift started at 12:15pm. At 11:45am, she wasn't at The Island Inn so I called her on her cell only to reach her voice mail! She phoned back a minute later, from downtown, to say that she had completely forgotten about me! Fortunately, for both of us, she had time to zip home and I made it to the cinema with seconds to spare. Of course, I could have made my own way there, as I had done earlier this week but availed myself of a ride with her so that Whirlygig and I could ride around Stanley Park beforehand. We left our place at 8:00am and had a glorious ride: the sun was shining and there was little if any breeze, the freighters filling English Bay, the mountains shining. When we came to the point where we needed to head up to the road, if we were to ride over Lions Gate, Whirlygig nixed the idea as life was just so pleasant cycling on the Seawall. I didn't need to be convinced as I had had a pretty long ride the day before, (121.33K to be exact!) and Giorgio, for his part, hasn't been riding much, of late, (visiting relatives, work, child care, etc.), so I gather he was in more of a latte mood than a double espresso!
 

Good Luck to Jack with fishing! Cheers, Patrizio!

There is always next year.  We will be doing 5 month FL and 7 months Orcas for a few more years.  gg

Hi Gail!

We'll certainly keep Florida in mind. Thanks. Have always wanted to drive down Eastern Seaboard, after visiting New York, Cora Lee's dream! Be great to visit with Nora/Laury, as well, as I think I've mentioned.

Just came back from delivering more programs for VIWF on Granville Island. After we finished Cora Lee headed off for her shift at WISH. The shelter is having their Thanksgiving meal tonight. I'm still volunteering with VIFF and have seen some simply remarkable documentaries over the last few days.

I plan to cycle to my next shift, (2:00pm-7pm), at VIFF tomorrow so I'm going to park at the free, secure Bicycle Valet, near Plaza of Nations, before attending a Vancouver Whitecaps soccer match at the recently re-opened, (new, re-tractable 500 million roof!), BC Place Stadium, with a friend. I had my saddle stolen on Sunday when I rode down to Pacific Cinemateque, (my assigned theatre), to see the first screening! Had to ride home standing up all the way!!! At any rate, I don't want to risk losing another saddle and don't really want to lug saddle around during game. Furthermore, it'll be easier/safer to get to the Seawall and home afterwards.

Cheers, Patrizio!



HI to the both of you, sounds like things are going to be busy except for
the recovery for Cora Lee so wish her a speedy recovery. Japan sounds like
so much fun. I have that on my list of places to go. My list is quite long
though. My sister Kim and I leave on Tuesday Oct 2nd and are cruising on
Holland America down to Puerto Vallarta so will be there the 13th then will
stay in Guayabitos until the 7th of Nov. It is really kind of early to go as
can be dreadfully humid but will take our chances I guess. It will be fun
anyway. The cruise really ends up in Cabo but we are getting off 2 days
early. Have been so busy as we have a house we rent out in Williams Lake (
our retirement fund ha ha) and the renter move out so we went to do some
reno's. We stayed right at the house and did 7days of 15 hours each day of
work so were quite exhausted by the time we left to come home. But looked
good when finished so mission accomplished. I have had so much company this
year too and thought I may have to have a Hotel & restaurant license ha ha,
actually I love having people come and stay. Had my grandkids quite a bit
this year too as our Son Curtis is a fishing guide and he is swamped with
work which is good as the season is short. The kids are so much fun and I
really miss them when I go to Mexico. The archery shop has been busy also
as we have closed 1 more day a week so just puts more work on the days open.
And I do my little business which keeps me as busy as I like. I get people
who are moving out of province or country' stuff they can not take. I pick
up everything a day or two before they leave and we take everything
including the fridge stuff. I donate lots of stuff to charity groups and
sell some stuff on Craig's list. I love it as I can do it on my time and
when I go away I just DELETE Yippee I love what I do. I try and do 2 houses
a year and that is all I need to keep me busy and make a little Mexico
money. I also still do my Archery lessons which I love. I love to be busy
and I am definitely accomplishing that. I Love my life.
Glad you are both doing well and I envy your bike rides as I have not done
as much as I would have liked to this year but maybe next. Have fun doing
the Vancouver International Film Festival as I am sure you will. How fun,
and you must meet so many interesting people.
Well better run as I have Archery Lessons to do at a school here today. So
quick recovery Cora Lee and talk to you both soon Luv Wendy
 

Hi Wendy!

I gather you and your sister, Kim, will probably be somewhere in Mexico now. Cora Lee and I are both terribly envious as we had such a wonderful time in Guaybitos!

Enjoy Mexico for us! Cheers, Patrizio! 


Hi Champagne and O Susannah!

Thanks for tickets, etc., and fab Blenz passes! Much appreciated.

Yesterday, between films, I went to the Blenz, just down from Granville 7 to have a cappuccino, courtesy of you folk! Terrific!! Cheers, Patrizio!

PS: For your next newsletter!

A dyslexic man walked into a bra.

"Doc, I can't stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home."
    "That sounds like Tom Jones Syndrome."
    "Is it common?"
    "Well, It's Not Unusual."

An invisible man marries an invisible woman. The kids were nothing to look at either.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

A man woke up in a hospital after a serious accident.  He shouted, "Doctor, doctor, I can't feel my legs!" The doctor replied, "I know, I amputated your arms!"



Thanks for the praise, the maltage and the dolmades with olives. Fantastic!

Yes, the mix is always one that generates conversation points. Its fun to arrange and participate.
Glad that the date changed so that you could be a part of the fare and the conversation.

Regards, Rip
 

Hi again, Riptide!

I'm truly glad you changed the date although same might not be said by Whirlygig et al!

Cheers, Patrizio!

Tax Time

    A woman walks into an accountant's office and tells him that she needs to file her taxes.

    The accountant says, "Before we begin, I'll need to ask you a few questions." He gets her name,         address, social security number, etc. and then asks,     "What's your occupation?"
    "I'm a prostitute," she says.

    The accountant is somewhat taken aback and says, " Let's try to rephrase that."

    The woman says, "OK, I'm a high-end call girl".

    "No, that still won't work. Try again."

    They both think for a minute; then the woman says, "I'm an elite chicken farmer."

    The accountant asks, "What does chicken farming have to do with being a prostitute?"

    "Well, I raised a thousand little peckers last year."

    "Chicken Farmer it is."



Hi Patricio,

I don't know what you have planned for tomorrow morning but although I
don't have time to do a "major" ride if you felt like meeting up for a while
let me know.

I was quite pleasantly suprised to read from Mark tanner that you two know
eachother. what a small world ! Mark taught at Windsor school right up the
street from us and he had Jacob as a student. Mark and I have had many
pleasant interactions over the years and have been involved in a lot of
school functions together, even sharing pancake making duty for the
Christmas breakfast a number of years.

Hi Mark, I'm glad to hear that you're going to be coaching again at Windsor
again. I really miss being involved there and although I very proud of him,
it was really tough to see Jacob graduate and turning into a teenager at the
same time, quite emotional for colleen and I . On the upside Jake is quite
enjoying and adapting quite well to his new high school. Hopefully we can
meet up for some biking or some hooch sampling with Il Conduttore one of
these days!.

Take care , Al waldron

P.S. thanks Patrice for the blow by blow of the VIFF! quite entertaining.

cheers, Al


Hey Al
What a surprise! I will be curious to hear first hand the true story of how you know Il Misconduttore - over hootch or on a bike both sound good to me, probably not simultaneously though ;). 

I know what you mean about emotions and young 'uns - my younger daughter left home at the end of August for 4 years  at the Canadian Coast Guard College in Cape Breton. Despite the marvels of Skype and unlimited long-distance cell phone plans, and knowing she'll be home at Christmas, it seems a hell of a long way a way.

Glad to hear Jake is managing the transition to high school without serious difficulties  - that doesn't always happen. Please say high to him for me, and to Colleen as well. I Iook forward to seeing you on a bike some time fairly soon. cheers, Mark

Hi Mark,
 I guess Patricio was doing some hootch sampling or is caught up in his duties at the VIFF or both as I didn't hear back yet.
I feel for you with your daughter being that far away! that is a long distance for sure.I guess it is nice to have the almost instant communication we have these days but it obviously doesn't compare to having her close by. How many kids do you have?
  Yes it would be great to get out on a ride sometime and perhaps the hootch sampling afterward .I'm going to head out right now actually as it is a beautiful day out there. I have been doing a lot of rides down the bike path that parrallels the skytrain going west and then down Nelson to Victory and from there over to Mckay which is the sea to river route. There is a nice path that borders the new develpment at new haven and crosses a pedestrian bridge over Marine way. I continue along there to the river and then head back toward Byrne rd. There is a path that parrallels Byrne back to Marine way  and then I head a little way up Byrne to the old marine drive and up through Byrne creek. Quite a pleasant ride that takes about 50 mins.
Take care , Al  

Hi Lads!

Great to know that you Burnaboids know each other! Sorry that I've not been in touch, of late, but VIFF calls!

Yesterday, took in three stunning films. First was Crime after Crime. From program:

Yoav Potash's film opens unassumingly, quietly. Two lawyers have taken up the defense of a black woman rightly convicted of complicity in the killing of her husband, but unfairly sentenced to life imprisonment. Potash's documentary is being made in part as a record to serve in her defense. As the film progresses so does its scope. While this is very much the story of one abused woman and her grievous mistreatment, at the same time the net is thrown much wider to capture the dearth of justice, the corruption and the racism endemic in the Californian, if not the whole American, legal system. The enlightened law that enabled this case to be re-examined is in place only in California, meaning that some 120,000 women--victims of rape, physical abuse and torture--languish in US jails unable to seek redress.

The story is in itself compelling but the manner in which it is structured brings the audience to the edge of its seats. There are more twists and turns than a Michael Connelly novel, yet the suspense and drama are achieved without recourse to sensationalism or any denaturing of the facts as the case unfolds over many years. The cumulative effect is devastating. "It's hard to imagine a bigger bombshell being dropped in the lap of the Los Angeles District Attorney's office than Crime After Crime, which uses the heartbreaking case of Deborah Peagler to indict a city's entire justice system... Each instance of judicial malfeasance--and there are many--is allowed to toll loudly in its own moral echo chamber."--John Anderson, Variety

Next, The Price of Sex. From program:

For eight years, director Mimi Chakarova has been documenting the lives of girls and women who have fallen victim to the sex-trafficking industry, and The Price of Sex is the result. The dangerous path she took to get her subjects to speak on camera and to uncover the corruption that is endemic to the exploitative and harrowing trajectory these women have been forced to follow took her from impoverished corners of Eastern Europe to the brothels of Dubai and Istanbul. The story she tells is unforgettable and necessary. Here is Chakarova's response to a question about the hopelessness of the situation:

"I know that The Price of Sex is a heavy film but I disagree about it being hopeless. The sheer presence of the young women who survived, their courageous act of breaking the silence of shame by speaking on camera about their lives, should give viewers a deeper appreciation of their resilience. My perseverance is nothing compared to what they've endured. I always thought that my job is to provide an outlet for what they had to say and to do my best to show people how corruption, poverty, a slanted justice system and ongoing complacency drive the sex slavery market. The Price of Sex is my hope of changing a system that destroys women. I hope others can follow in my footsteps."--Mimi Chakarova

Final screening, for me, Family Portrait in Black and White. From program:

Opening with a montage of belligerent skinheads, Julia Ivanova's doc portrays radical compassion under fire. Olga Nenya is the ultimate Mom, with 27 children--some biological, but most fostered--under her care in a rundown home in Sumy, Ukraine. Most of the children are mixed-race blacks, many rejected by their mothers due to social stigma. The fascist footage establishes a climate of oppression and desperate need that this amazing woman fights all day, every day.

Olga is no superhero, though, just a flawed but dedicated human who pushes herself, the state, and sometimes her children to their limits. This is not sentimental hagiography: we see this woman being imperious and stifling, and her children show all-too-human flaws amidst their hopes and needs. It's a vivacious lot: Kiril is an ambitious, scholarly music lover, standing apart from the other children in recognizable and occasionally disturbing ways; Sashka is a swaggeringly confident kid with energy to spare and a bit of a chip on his shoulder; Roman is a soccer prodigy whose young personality we get to see emerge throughout the film. Economic desperation, intimate psychology and plain, imperfect human beauty are on full display in this film. Ivanova has an eye for fly-on-the-wall observation and a trust in her audience: she knows we're scrupulous enough to sort the good from the bad.

I simply cannot recommend these films highly enough. The subjects they tackle are not only inordinately compelling, devastatingly heartbreaking, in the extreme, but prick, nay lance, our social conscience to the very core.  For her part, director Mimi Chakarova literally took her life into her hands, when in Turkey, to obtain some of the footage she shot. (Similarly with Frank Piasecki Poulsen, the director of Blood in the Mobile.) She, along with,  Julia Ivanova, director of Portrait, were at screenings to answer questions about their respective films and the individuals/situations portrayed. Above all else, the durability, the indefatigable, positively Pit Bull tenacious nature of the human spirit is celebrated/discovered/displayed in different, yet equally remarkable, almost sublimely profound ways/behaviours.

This morning I took in Paul Goodman Changed My Life. from Program:

“His impact is all around us."--Noam Chomsky. "There has not been such a convincing, genuine, singular voice in our language since D.H. Lawrence. Paul Goodman's voice touched everything he wrote about with intensity, interest, and his own terribly appealing sureness and awkwardness."--Susan Sontag

Called "the most influential man you've never heard of," Paul Goodman was a stern but confidence-inspiring social critic, a poet (and regular at Black Mountain), an out-of-the-closet queer (in 40s America!), family man, anarchist and public intellectual whose writings and philosophy of life had a resounding impact on all who met him. Growing Up Absurd (1960) is his most famous work--and newly relevant to the recent riots in London and Vancouver--but the range of his writings is quite simply amazing. Jonathan Lee's documentary captures the power of the man and his ideas through interviews with family, peers and activists whose encounters with Goodman changed their lives. Rich archival footage and readings by Goodman and others (including Garrison Keillor, Edmund White and the Living Theater's Judith Malina) from his published works and private journals testify to the scope of his learning and influence, as well as his larger-than-life personality. A kind of forefather to the Beats, he made his stamp on the 60's and notably participated at the famous 1967 Dialectics of Liberation conference in London, which is the subject of discussion at events planned at SFU and the Vancity Theatre in November.

Embarrassed to say that I only vaguely remembered him as the author of Growing up Absurd, but really knew next to nothing else about him. Another remarkable film about another truly remarkable individual, warts and all. How his vision and moral integrity are needed today!

After strolling home over Granville Bridge, changed and collected Coriandre. We spent an hour or so delivering more programs for VIWF on Granville Island. After we finished Cora Lee headed off for her shift at WISH. The shelter is having their Thanksgiving meal tonight.

Speaking of cycling, Whirlgig and I are planning to ride tomorrow, leaving home about 8:00pm. Probably out to UBC and then along MD to make for Iona. If either of you are keen to join us we could meet at the foot of CSTB at 9:30am, or thereabouts. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly.

Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 
P,

Thank you for the lovely gift of Coopers malt - and hand delivered. I was quite touched. A couple predinner drams set up the evening of Thai food.

If you really want to ride this morning I will join you. I have squash in the late afternoon so I am content to continue reading Billionaires V. Call if you are going. It would have to be once around Stanley's yard. W


Hi Patrick,
Well I have been working away on Oboe and am about two thirds of the way through the first draft. I am happy with the way it is turning out so far.
Junkie recently had a wonderful review by blogger Maureen Hovermale click here to see it. In addition Junkie was the only novel that this reviewer gave five stars. On top of all that, I had my first author interview.
There are some new things on my website that you might not be aware of, a blog post and a book review:

Heroes in our midst




The other day I walked past the main downtown post office and saw a sign in the window that caught my attention. My first reaction was to tweet: Sign at the post office today: "Heroes work here". As 9/11 approaches ... Continue reading 

The Telltale Tempest by Don McGraw




Since I became an indie author, I decided that I would support my new peers by reading fiction only from indie authors. The result of this decision is that I download a lot of sample chapters but usually do not buy the ... Continue reading 
  
Enjoy and have a great week. Cheers,
Robert.
As part of your transition from books to Images, please check out this video on YouTube (do not be offended if you live in the Pacific Northwest, wear converse runners, use Apple products or ride a bicycle):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ASIV2TvOg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my apparat 9. 


Hello Guy, et al!

Trust all goes well. Quite enjoyed the Minimalist in spite of owning nine Apple products! Think the fact that I only own three pieces of underwear, (not counting padded cycling shorts!), and nary a pair of socks, makes up for this crass consumerism, I trust! Sorry that I've not been in touch, of late, but VIFF has been calling!

Cheers, Il Conduttore!



Hello Patrick & Corinne,
Nice to hear from you - thanks for the photos - imagine being 98!!  Hope I have inherited some of those long genes.  Mom was pleased to receive a card from you for her 90th so I am thanking you on her behalf.  Yes, we were in Edmonton for the "event"  - celebrated by going out for dinner on the 22nd.  As Ken couldn't be there, I made dinner for the following night which we had at Mom's house.  My cake was somewhat smaller - my effort at the baking and decorating.  Ken and Charlie had taken her on a family weekend trip to Jasper a couple of weeks prior but we decided not to join them for that.
 
Mom has recovered quite well from her fall in March and is getting around as well as before, I would say.  Certainly she has slowed down but guess that goes with the age to some extent.  We had a pleasant visit - toured around Edmonton a bit - was nice to see Mom and brothers and family.
 
Now back at home, there are always things that keep us busy.  I am supply teaching this week for the teacher who took over my job in the bakeshop, so it is actually fun to be back there---especially knowing it is only  for 4 days.  On Sunday we leave for the Netherlands, to attend the wedding of a cousin and do a bit of touring.   Looking forward to that as will be my first visit and years since Leonard was there.
Have a good thanksgiving.
Bye for now. Roma & Leonard
 
Your upcoming trip sounds interesting - are there still places you have not visited yet??  Can't be too many as you have done a lot of traveling over the years.


Hi Roma and Leonard!

Glad everything went well in Edmonton. Terrific that you are enjoying doing a bit of substitute teaching and enjoying it. Your trip to the Netherlands sounds wonderful. For our part, we are going to explore Queensland more than we have ever done before, Cairns, Great Barrier Reef, etc. We hope to visit Darwin, as well, but not sure, at this point, just how this segment will fit. Enjoy Europe. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Patrick,
What a wonderful ride you had! I do miss all of the wonderful scenery,
especially the striking mountains and blue sky of the North Shore mountains.
It has really started cooling down here and I have pulled out the boys
winter coats. It is amazing how cool 14 degrees is after a few weeks of
25+! Anyway, fall has officially arrived in Kamloops and I now need to make
time to pull plants from the garden before it all freezes and turns into a
rather large mess.

I have received a confirmation email for the order you placed for the boys.
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I hope you find the items
handy. You'll have to let me know about the window gizmo!

So the boys have just had a nasty cold and I think they are both back to
100% now. They still have respiratory difficulty when they get colds so I
have to use all their puffer meds ASAP to avoid major problems.

We are doggy sitting for the next week and Cynder arrives on Friday. The
boys are quite excited and it will be nice to have her around for the week.
We are also spending the weekend with my parents, so the boys should have a
fun time going to the ranch again.

Now I need to buy two mini pumpkins for their decorating project at school
and get costumes organized for a party on the 31st!

Thank you so much again for supporting the boys with their fundraising!!

Take care, Ariane



Hi Ariane!

Glad the boys are over their colds! Pleased to participate in the fund raising effort. Hope I, or anyone else, don't need to use hammer but I'll let you know about pie-crust saver once Corinne's Mom arrives in early November and starts baking!!! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Sandra!

Trust you are well.

I've done a preliminary draft of spreadsheet. Want to check on some of the addresses and names. I may do a bit of delivery later today, if weather allows. If not, then tomorrow. At any rate, I'll pop by to see what you think of re-arrangement and my reasons for format. Cheers, Patrizio!


Patriçio

Thanks for lunch today.  Nice meeting that Hungarian guy.

To follow up on my voice mail, I have Juan's tix for the game Thursday.  Let me know a.s.a.p. if you would like to come.  Kickoff is @6:30pm.

saludos//bjp
________________________
Branko Peri

Hi Ragin!

Thanks for info! I plan to cycle to my shift at VIFF so I'm going to park at the Bicycle Valet near Plaza of Nations. I had my saddle stolen on Sunday when I rode down to Pacific Cinemateque to see the first screening! Had to ride home standing up all the way!!! At any rate, I don't want to risk losing another saddle and don't really want to lug saddle around during game. Furthermore, it'll be easier/safer to get to the Seawall and home afterwards.

I'll be home most of the rest of this afternoon/evening so give me a shout or just drop by. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Wayne,

Do you think Pat would let me borrow one of his push-stick-stone-chuckers
this evening? I got a bit of a leg injury and won't be able to tuck-throw
this week.
Charles
Chataway

He has two so I do not see why not. W 

Hi Pat & Corinne, was just wondering if you (or your police friend downstairs –forgot his name) know of a reliable process server that also serves divorce papers in the States.
I filed my papers yesterday. :) Thanks so much, Laura :)
 

Hi Laura:

Sarge doesn't know of any process servers. Perhaps Rick Toews might know of someone. Looking forward to seeing you over Thanksgiving. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!



P,

I thought you might like this one. You should have one of your own… W

onomasticon

PRONUNCIATION:
(on-uh-MAS-ti-kon)

MEANING:
noun: A dictionary of names, especially personal names or place names.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Greek onomastikos (of names), from onoma (name). Earliest documented use: 1710.

USAGE:
"Even the ancient onomasticon was of no help to her. While she was able to find all sorts of names for mythological and religious figures who aided and abetted the human world, there was no name to be found for what he did."
Manya Steinkoler; The Body Retriever; Literature & Psychology; Jan 2002. 

Lads,

I will not be riding today. Let me know if there is a plan to ride on Thursday.

W

George and Pat,
    Unfortunately, I have work at 10:30 Thursday, so not able to join you. All this work is interfering with my cycling routine but managing to get into the gym occasionally. Hope the weather is good tomorrow.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Ray
 
Hi Ray!

Sorry that you won't be able to join us, out to Iona.  Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Whirlissimo!

Funnily enough, I just sent the proofs of The Team II Onomasticon, Unexpurgated Edition, to be printed on vellum, to UBC Press. I presume Kerry will oversee all the niggling editorial details. It was delayed by a few weeks as entry for 'Orrible 'Ungie had to be re-worked!

Big Al just called to say he'd like to join us tomorrow so I suggested 9:30am at the foot of CSTB. If we meet at Macdonald and Point Grey at shortly after 8:00am, I think that should be about right, at least from past experience. If we are early, we can always ride along Kent to meet him. His cell number is: 604-315-6110. I'll pass your mobile number along to him so that we can be in constant, unrelieved incommunicado!!!

Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Big Al and Marliyn!

Thanks for Halloween invitation. As I mentioned, we'll just have to see what time our VIWF bar shift ends.

To confoim, Big Al, 9:30am at the foot of CSTB. If we are early, Whirlygig and I can always ride along Kent to meet you. His cell number is: 604-254-3027.

Cheers, Il Conduttore!
Hi Patrick,
 
How are you?  Andrew asked me to email you re his airline ticket.  If you could please send it to me, I'll print it out for him.  Also, I've set up an email address for him. Hope all is well with you!  Take care. Lori
 
Hi Lori!

Trust all goes well with you. Not sure how the ticket information will look, once forwarded. Let me know if format is a problem and I can always mail a print-out of original.

Both Cora Lee and I are fine. Very busy at the moment. She with volunteering at a women's shelter, WISH, as well as at the Thrift Shop associated with First United in Vancouver's Downtown East Side. I'm currently a volunteer at the Vancouver International Film Festival and have seen many unbelievably powerful documentaries, everything from the burgeoning ecological movement in China, (Waking the Green Tiger), to wrongful imprisonment in California, (Crime after Crime), to so-called "conflict minerals", from the Congo, in cell phones and other electronic devices, (Blood in the Mobile), to women from Eastern Europe sold into sex slavery in Turkey and Dubai, (The Price of Sex). A number of the directors have been at the screenings so it has been fascinating to hear how they came to make their films as well as to hear about the actual filming process.

After the VIFF is over we will be volunteering for the Vancouver International Writers Festival, here on Granville Island, but a few minutes from where we live. Some exciting authors will be attending so looking forward to hearing them read and talk about their work. All the best. Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Pat

Sorry about the lack of communication.
Life has been somewhat mundane for us over the last year or so. I think
having three young kids to tend to limits opportunities for excitement in
life to a certain extent.
Everything seems to revolve around their milestones and events.
We are certainly delighted at their progress.
Jess is now in her last year of junior school and despite being a year
younger than the others in her class, is excelling in all pursuits. She is
incredibly musically gifted and recently won a music scholarship for her
school for the next 6 years. She also won an academic scholarship for one of
the prestigious Perth private girl schools which we had to turn down.
Olivia manages to drift through life without appearing to have any great
focus or drive but still surprises us with her abilities both artistically
and academically. She is tiny for her age, and that only makes her even more
special.
Josh is learning to cope with having two big sisters. Finding ways to get
words in edgewise amongst the constant verbal barrage in the house. ( he has
had some mild difficulty developing his speech but he is gradually getting
there ). At 5 years, is a great reader for a boy! - and seems to really be
enjoying it. He is as big as Olivia, who is three years older, - and
stronger too - an asset that he tends to abuse on occasion. I think he is
slowly beginning to respect Olivia's small physical stature though!
Yien and I are trying to stay fit. Me with swimming and my new passion,
mountain biking - ( I never realised what fantastic trails we had in the
hills 20min from Bunbury ) and Yien going to the gym. She recently was one
of the parent chaperons with Jess's school trip to Canberra and the nearby
ski fields. She says she lost a couple of kilo's during the week and it
wasn't through eating bad food.
Haven't holidayed too much recently. Our last trip was to Bali. Stayed in a
beautiful and large private villa. Big pool in tropical gardens set high on
a hill looking north across the whole island to the volcanoes in its middle.
We were waited on by 5 full time staff! Very relaxing and luxurious. Great
food prepared by our own chef.
Our big news is that we are returning to Vancouver! Will be there for the
first half of January '12 and spending the second half skiing at Big White.
( Time for the kids to experience snow ). If you guys are going to be around
then we would love to catch up with you all.

Love, Mike, Yien and family

Hi TNT!

Trust you are both well. Have included recent email from Mike and Yien. I'm hoping we can all get together, one way or another, in January 2012! See below.
 
Hello Mike and Yien!

How simply wonderful that you are returning to Vancouver!!! I'm hoping that we might be able to connect with Tina and Trevor in January as well. They plan to ski again, at Sun Peaks, so please let me know when you will arrive in Vancouver and perhaps I can arrange a cross-over party. I gather they will be flying into Vancouver in early January as well. Even if there isn't any overlap, we certainly expect to see you and your lovely children. Mike, you can bike with me while Yien and Cora Lee shop and talk about books when exhausted and bankrupt!!! Chloë and Clara and Dusty can be Canadian Nannies!!!
Hello and fond regards to all your dear, dear family. Cheers, Patrizio!
 
Hola Amigos
Here we are lounging around at Lorne & Stephen's amazing house in San Miguel. Just got back from a day at the hot springs a few minutes outside the city. It's a series of pools all fed by an underground spring. They drain the pools every evening at 5pm and refill them every morning at 7 am because they don't use any chemicals to keep them clean. Three times a day they open a flood gate so that the water pours in and acts as a massager when you stand under it. A little bit tricky standing under it as the force of the water tends to remove the strap of one's bathing suit if you're in the wrong position. Luckily (for me - and perhaps them) not many people were there.
We started our vacation with 3 days and 4 nights in Mexico city - loved every minute of it. Stayed in a fantastic b&b in Contessa called the "Red Tree House" - great place to stay. Walking distance to the Museum of Anthropology which is a definite must see. Tons of great restaurants in the area. The next day we took the public transit out to the pyramids. Quite an exciting all day venture that we highly recommend. The last day we visited the Zocalo and later met friends who live in Tampico but came to the city to meet us for dinner. Was great to connect with them again after several years.
Took the bus to San Miguel on the Friday arriving around 2pm. Stephen met us at the station and we cabbed back to their place for a quick freshen up and off to early dinner. We returned about 8 pm then went straight to bed so that we could get up at 1am for breakfast. L & S invited about 12 people for a huge frittatta breakfast and then we all headed down to the Jardin around 3:30am to watch the fireworks starting at 4 am. It made Vancouver's festival of lights fireworks show look like sparklers. The show lasted 1and a half hours of constant fireworks being thrown at you, blown up beside you and directly overhead. It was totally insane. I would never believe it if we hadn't been here.
And that was our introduction to San Miguel! It was the festival of Saint Miguel so the festivities lasted all weekend with parades every day, light shows, entertainment and of course more fireworks.
It is lucky that they live on a slope because all the food we've been eating would not be sitting well with me if we didn't have all the walking in-between meals. It's tough trying to eat my share of meals with Ted, Lorne & Stephen, but somehow I manage to eat almost equal portions but pay dearly each time!
It seems we've done so much in one week yet there is still a lot to see. This is definitely a place we will come back. It's especially wonderful having such great hosts and we can see why they love it so much.
Love to you all Ted & Elaine  
 
Hola Elaine!
 
I have so always wanted to go to San Miguel! Keep sending the descriptions of everything - I can enjoy the sights and the meals, without having to work it off!!!! What are the meals, Elaine? Is it hot and sunny? Will you take any courses or anything while you are there? Maybe there is a card making class you can sit in on, and teach!!
 
xoxo C 
 
Hi Elaine and Ted!

Lovely to hear from you especially, since you are no longer, ever, ever, at home! When Cora Lee asks Will, at vegetable pick-up on Sundays, "Where are your in-laws?", he replies, "What in-laws?"

We certainly enjoyed San Miguel when we were there in March, even if we weren't living the Lives of the Rich and Famous!!!
Give your stay-at-home friends a call when you return from Paradise! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio! 
 
Hey Patrizio!

BTW, we will have to get copy of the face of the passports some time (no
rush) to get you the Australian visas. Will follow up later.

Actually, I might be able to use some of this material for the newsletter!

Finally, we were trying to get you over for bridge and pizza, but knew were
busy with the VIFF. We're off to Bali on Oct 17. So, when we get back??

Charlie
 
Hi Carlos!

Before I forget, I worked, at VIFF, with a lady who will be traveling to Bali with you! She is a court reporter, mostly retired. Great person! Can't recall her name!

We need to apply for new passports. Will you wait for new ones? Bridge when you return, for sure!

Cheers, Patrizio!
   

 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment