Saturday 29 October 2011

IIDD, Oct 29th

Hi Patrice,

I have one question for you , when do you actually have time to read? I
love hearing about all your adventures but that almost fulfills my daily
allotment of reading time!
With all the exposure to film and the written word , I would thing that
there is a novel or two at least percolating in the back of your mind yet to
be written.

I also missed riding this week although I did ride to Colleen's class on
Monday night at Champlain heights comm. center and went for her morning
class on Thursday so I feel pretty good about activity for the week. As I
write this the sun just poked through and I might try for a quick jaunt
although I have to go to the west side and visit my aunt. My aunt Diana
(Dads brothers wife but he died in '74) was struck with polio at age 17 and
has been in a wheel chair ever since. we remain close and I try and help her
out as much as I can. her wheel chair needs some repair and she is bed
ridden right now recovering from surgery on a relentless bedsore problem
that has plagued her for the last couple of years.

I would love to be your guide and give you a tour of some of Burnaby,s
finest trails and sights one day soon . I'm sure we can coordinate something
when the weather cooperates again. until then have a great weekend !

Cheers, Al


Hi Big Al!

Must apologize for not replying sooner but has been a busy time these past ten days or so. Week ago this morning, I picked up my friend, Andrew, (as I mentioned I was going to do, in my last email, I believe), who flew into town from Toronto, for a little more than a week at The Island Inn.


Night before we were able to find seats for the last session we attended at VIWF, entitled An Intimate Evening with Aminatta Forna, from the UK/ Sierra Leone. She read from and talked about her "Memory of Love which won the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize for Best Book, was shortlisted for the Orange Prize and was selected as one of the best books of the year by the Sunday Telegraph, Financial Times and Times. She is also the author of Ancestor Stones, a novel, and The Devil That Danced on the Water, a memoir of her activist father and her country, Sierra Leone. She now lives in London."

A passionate, highly articulate speaker, she mesmerized us with her reading and thoughts, her informed answers to the audience's questions, her delightful sense of humour, her wonderfully ironic comments, both wry and dark. What an eye-opening, informative experience to the highly complex society and current situation of Sierre Leone, in particular, to the African continent as a whole. Certainly a powerful, remarkable spokesperson whose compelling voice needs to be heard, should be heard across the globe.

For The Latte/Pastry non-rider, had a fabulo jaunt this past Thursday with Robo Ray, also an avid reader but not interested in joining our book club! We met at Macdonald and Point Grey and made our way out to UBC, along Spanish Banks, and thence along SW Marine to Arthur Laing/Iona. Mountains were stunning with an icing sugar dusting of snow. Some of the trees looked almost ablaze, such were the magnificent oranges and reds. Saw two bald eagles as well so we felt pretty exhilarated with ride and scenery, and perhaps, most importantly for our aged frames, lack of a strong headwind! After that we headed for Steveston, along Railway, rather than atop the dike, and back via #6 Road, over CSTB and then up Heather, cutting along 39th to make our way back to Raymundo's place with 83K on the clock.

Waved goodbye to Robo Ray and proceeded down Macdonald to make my way home via Kits Beach. Had 91K on odometer once I was in front of Harbour Terrace so knew I only had to ride to Science World/Plaza of Nations to make 101.33K by time I was ready to call it a day. Did just that and pulled into the parkade at 2:00pm so total elapsed time was five hours and twenty minutes. Know that is not much compared to your blistering pace/admirable distances on the hills and dales of Burnaby but a good ride for both Ray and I. You will be pleased to learn, Dear Reader, that my feet never touched the ground during the entire ride as I had my most attentive and willing squire, (Aged though he be. Sylvia mentioned that Ray will turn 70 next March, I believe. Had to be sharpish about keeping up with him for most if not all of the ride, as he had the bit in his mouth and was running like a thoroughbred, half-wheeling me to lung bursting and leg muscle screaming on the hills!), to push the walk button at all the important intersections! Wanted to cycle as far as we did as I knew, from the forecast, that the wonderful weather wouldn't last over next few days.

That night we had a wonderful roast potatoe, twice-baked cauliflower and New Zealand lamb chop dinner. Invited a former girlfriend, Barbara Young, from university days in Winnipeg, now living here in Vancouver, for dinner. Barbara knew Andrew back then as well so thought it would be fun to have her meet Andrew again, after more than forty years. One of our first dates was when we went to a rugby Halloween party, costumed as die! Andrew and I played but a year or so, at a time when rugby was just starting in Winnipeg. Speaking of rugby, he and I watched the finals of the World Cup. Started just after midnight here and didn't finish until about 3:00am. Not sure if you followed the series but I thought that the French outplayed the All Blacks for most of game. Not that I know much, if anything, about the game and its strategy, but from my point of view, only their incredible defensive play near the end allowed them to hang on to their one point lead. I hadn't realized, at the time, that they hadn't won the title in 24 years, so am pleased, for the team and the fans, that they did so on home turf, of course.

Finally, to spur you on to greater distances, wanted to mention that had a wonderful ride this past Tuesday with RR and Whirlissimo. Three of us met at Crown and SW Marine Drive, (One of group, Ken, Ray's friend, lives in Ladner and so drove to rendezvous. This was first time we've met.), and once Ken arrived, cycled back to UBC and around campus as Ken had not really been there since he graduated in 1974! Back towards Kits along Spanish Banks and then around Seawall, past Science World, to circumcylce Stanley Park. As you know, we often ride over the Lions Gate and back but Ray had a tutoring time constraint so we just enjoyed the wonderfully calm ocean and gorgeous sunshine.

Once around park Raymundo and Ken, (no nickname yet as we've just met, as I mentioned above), left us to make their way over Burrard Bridge while Giorgio and I retraced our earlier route around Science World back to our place, arriving just after noon. I started at 8:25am so it was a fairly decent ride, as far as distance and time are concerned, as I logged 73.33K by time we reached our place. Hoped, as I walked in the door, that I wouldn't collapse on ice at curling that evening!

I invited Whirlissimo in for a spot of lunch and friend, Andrew, (El Cordobés), whipped us up absolutely fabuloso cheese and avocado omelettes! Ragin' Bull phoned just after we walked in door and wanted to go for a ride! Told him we had honked at him at around 10:30am, on way to SP, so invited him for a java. He arrived just as we were finishing our meal and we chatted over cookies and more coffee before Whirls and I said goodbye to Ragin'. Giorgio's girlfriend, Kerry, has an eleven-year old daughter, Tia, who is going to play the piano on November 11th, at Broadway Lodge, where Mother is a resident, as I think you know. I wanted to introduce George to chap, Bob, who looks after social activities so that they could make arrangements for Tia's recital. While the two were chatting I visited Mom and put cream on her arms and the back of her hands. At her age her skin is very dry and lotion certainly helps. While there I helped her with her juice. Bit like priming a pump as at first she would only chew the straw in the cup. Had to make her take a sip from the open container and then after that she seemed to remember how to draw the liquid up through the straw. Unfortunately, she isn't really able to comprehend any instructions for drinking or sipping. Once a given process is started, it seems that some sort of reflex mechanism sets in and, by and large, she then knows the appropriate response. Still, she finished the entire glass and was smiling by the time it was finished. Kissed her goodbye and said hello to a number of other residents we have come to know on way out.

Back home, Andrew was waiting for me as we had to drive out to the airport. When he left Toronto, last Saturday, he didn't realize, for some inexplicable reason, that he couldn't take the bottle of bourbon, Eagle Rare, 45%, he was bringing as a present for me, in his carry-on. Since he had already checked his bag, he had to leave the security area and return to the WestJet counter for a small box. He wrapped the bottle, (already in bubble wrap), in a few T-shirts and packaged it up. Once in Vancouver, it wasn't with his other bag so he filed a missing luggage form. When he told me what had happened, (I thought that he had missed his flight as he should have been out of the terminal by about 9:25am and I didn't locate him, at WestJet's YVR service counter, until shortly after 10:00am. This after circling three times and then eventually finding a spot in the "Loading Only" lane where one can usually park for a few minutes without being told to move on by the YVR Traffic Polizei! By 10:00am I decided that I needed to go inside as nobody was coming out of the terminal by this time. I told the warden that I would only be a minute or so and headed in search of the lost soul!), I thought that that would be the last we would see of the package. Felt especially badly for Andrew as I know he was quite excited about giving me the gift.

At any rate, WestJet called, just as the chef was finishing his masterpieces, to inform him that the parcel had finally arrived! To boot, they gave me a $100 credit towards my next flight with them for simply coming to collect the package. Everybody was happy!

Will be hosting the Non-Readers Book Club, (Although I do find it difficult, at times, to find time to read, Whirlygig and I are often only ones to have completed a given book! Marcus Aurelius is one of the most serious offenders!!), at our place Sunday evening. (One of members, Misha, is in a wheelchair so it is easier for him with our single level access.) Will be discussing The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine, by Wallace, Benjamin, 2008.

Fondestos to you and Marilyn from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizio!

Pics: Happy Halloween! 40th anniversary of our first meeting, at a pub, in Winnipeg. Beautiful Fall afternoon, clear, crisp and sunny, when we went inside, to meet, by chance, later. More than a foot of snow, (felt sorry for all the kids who were going out trick or treating), when we left, together, as I wanted to drive Cora Lee to her place so I could "stalk" her!

The Sisterhood reading while I do housework. Precisely why I don't have as much time to read as Cora Lee does!!!

Andrew, Executive chef, flown in from Toronto, at great expense, at sink, at stove. One of his magnificent creations. He prepared a scrumptious chicken curry last night. We had two tables of bridge, eight players and two observers, latter needed as bartenders and food servers, scullions and maids!
 


A few years ago I was a cook/deckhand on his prawn boat the "Prawn Star".  He has moved into eco-tourism & wildlife watching.  A very reliable, knowledgeable and experienced seafarer with a pleasant and accommodating demeanor.

Hi Big Al:

Might want to warn your friend! Cheers, Patrizio!

This was sent from Thomas Cook Holidays listing some of the guests' complaints during the season.
"I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts." 
 
"It's lazy of the local shopkeepers to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time - this should be banned." 

"On my holiday to Goa in India , I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food at all."  

"We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our swimming costumes and towels." 

A tourist at a top African game lodge overlooking a waterhole, who spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel "inadequate".
 
A woman threatened to call police after claiming that she'd been locked in by staff. When in fact, she had mistaken the "do not disturb" sign on the back of the door as a warning to remain in the room.  

"The beach was too sandy." 
 
"We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white." 

A guest at a Novotel in Australia complained his soup was too thick and strong. He was inadvertently slurping the gravy at the time. 
 
"Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women."  

"We bought 'Ray-Ban' sunglasses for five Euros (£3.50) from a street trader, only to find out they were fake." 

"No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled."
 
"It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England it only took the Americans three hours to get home." 

"I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends' three-bedroom apartment and ours was significantly smaller." 

"The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the accommodation'. We're trainee hairdressers - will we be OK staying here?" 

"There are too many Spanish people. The receptionist speaks Spanish. The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners." 
 
"We had to queue outside with no air conditioning." 

"It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel." 

"I was bitten by a mosquito - no-one said they could bite." 

"My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."




Patrick, 
 
Andrzej told me he had not been able to view my website as he said he is `` computer illeterate`` so please show it to him on your computer: http://giebertrand.jigsy.com
Some of the large 6`x 4` paintings are also exhibited at ZIENTTE in Gastown...I do not have the address with me but the store is across the street from ``The Spaghetti Factory`` in Gastown, I am sure if you do a search under Zientte Vancouver the address will pop up.
My mom`s funerals are Thursday Oct 27 and my sister and I are unlikely to be back in Vancouver before Oct 31 or Nov. 1, bad timing for A`s visit but hopefully he will be back at another time as I would like to gift him a painting one of these days.
Ginette
 

Exhibition of my paintings at Zientte over so no need to go to Gastown with A!!!
 
When cleaning out my mom's personal effects I found all of Andrzej and I' wedding photos from Athens in 1971 and some photos of his mom and dad, I remember a few years ago he mentioned that he had loss most of the photos of his life...ask him if he would like me to mail him this package to his home address in Toronto, if not I will throw them away as I have them in double in vancouver?
Funeral Mass and burial now over so we can not move on and grieve privately, those last 10 days have been pretty stressful and full of sadness. You are lucky to still have your mom!
Ginette
 
Hello Ginette!

First, let me send you and your family heartfelt condolences on the death of your Mother. Andrzej has asked me to offer his sincere sympathy as well.

Must apologize for not replying sooner but has been a busy time these past ten days or so. With respect to your wedding pictures, Andrew mentioned that he has copies in Toronto. If you don't mind, I'd like to have the ones you mention. If you can bring them with you when you return to Vancouver, we could arrange a time for me to pop by and pick them up. I would appreciate the snaps of his parents as I knew them as well.

Sorry that the exhibition of your paintings closed before we had a chance to see it . Not sure if we would have been able to visit gallery in any event. Unfortunately, Andrew came down with a very nasty head cold this past Wednesday night when he was visiting his friends on Gabriola. He has felt pretty rotten since then so he has been lying fairly low. I noticed he seemed to have a persistent cough when I collected him from the airport, a week ago today, so I think the bug was already at work.
 
Fond regards to you from Corinne. Once again, deepest sympathy from Andrzej. Take care of yourself, Ginette. Patrizio!
 
Hi Titanium Man, Robertitio and rest of Lads!

The Non-Readers Book Club will be meeting at our place, The Island Inn, #20-1425 Lamey's Mill Road, 604-734-9200, place you were at the first time you met with us. Great that you are bringing Rob. Look forward to meeting him. Have attached directions in case you can't remember way.

Had a fabulo ride today with friend, Robo Ray, also an avid reader. We met at Macdonald and Point Grey and made our way out to UBC, along Spanish Banks, and thence along SW Marine to Arthur Laing/Iona. Mountains were stunning with an icing sugar dusting of snow. Some of the trees looked almost ablaze, such were the magnificent oranges and reds. Saw two bald eagles as well so we felt pretty exhilarated with ride and scenery, and perhaps, most importantly for our aged frames, lack of a strong headwind! After that we headed for Steveston, along Railway, rather than atop the dike, and back via #6 Road, over CSTB and then up Heather, cutting along 39th to make our way back to Raymundo's place near Arbutus and 23rd, with 83K on the clock.

Waved goodbye to Robo Ray and proceeded down Macdonald to make my way home via Kits Beach. Had 91K on odometer once I was in front of Harbour Terrace, our building, so knew I only had to ride to Science World/Plaza of Nations to make 101.33K by time I was ready to call it a day. Did just that and pulled into the parkade at 2:00pm so total elapsed time was five hours and twenty minutes. Know that is not much compared to your blistering pace/admirable distance but a good ride for both Ray and I. Wanted to cycle as far as we did as I don't think the wonderful weather will last over next few days.

See you around 7:00ish on Sunday. Cheers, Patrizio!
 
Hi again, Dave!

Sorry, I forgot to attach directions! Cheers, Patrizio!

Thanks Patrick.  Looking forward to it.

I'm also bringing a friend of mine with me.  He's an avid scotch drinker, likes to bike, and reads a fair bit too.

See you on Sunday. Cheers.
 
 
P,

Thanks for the ride and the repast that followed and created so deftly by your head chef. Also for taking the time to introduce me to the Broadway Lodge people. The sisterhood is now onto the case.

I hope to be on the bike again next Tuesday or Wednesday and hope to have more connectivity on the road this weekend.

Enjoy the bridge on Friday. Hope we can play some hand soon.

Speaking of which you may want to get a copy of Lyle Lovett’s Penguins to play at the party. Lyrics below.  G

Penguins

I don't go for fancy cars
For diamond rings
Or movie stars
I go for penguins
Oh Lord I go for penguins

Throw your money out the door
We'll just sit around
And watch it snow
I go for penguins
Oh Lord I go for penguins

Penguins are so sensitive
Penguins are so sensitive
Penguins are so sensitive
To my needs

Penguins are so sensitive
Penguins are so sensitive
Penguins are so sensitive
To my needs
To my needs
To my needs
To my needs

Penguins are so sensitive
Penguins are so sensitive
Penguins are so sensitive
To my needs
To my needs
To my needs

To my needs
To my needs
To my needs
To my needs
To my needs

To my needs
To my needs

Hi Whirlygig and Carlos the Jackal!

Trust tourney and stay on Nob Hill go well. As you know, will be hosting the Non-Readers Book Club on Sunday evening. By chance I bumped into Nancy at GI Market. I was using one of our $5 discount coupons, from VIWF Volunteer package, at Terra Breads, (since you no longer see fit to pass along any mouldy loaves!), when I heard a "Hi Patrick" behind me. Invited her for a malt but she declined as she had to go downtown for some small props for Jitters, play she's currently working on in Victoria. She thought Guy would attend NRBC since he would be left alone and palely loitering without her!

Buona Fortuna and Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pics: We had two tables of bridge, eight players and two observers, latter needed as bartenders and food servers, scullions and maids! Too, too bad you couldn't have joined us.

The Sisterhood poundin' or reading while I and a host of penguins do housework, dishes, vacuuming, and the like! Precisely why I don't have as much time to read as Cora Lee does!!!

5 pearls of wisdom to remember. . .

1. Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it’s more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than on a bicycle.

2. Forgive your enemy but remember the bastard’s name.

3. Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when he is in trouble again.

4. Many people are alive only because it’s illegal to shoot them.

5. Alcohol does not solve any problem, but then neither does milk.

Bonus item

The new definition of liquidity: Liquidity is when you look at your retirement funds and wet your pants.

Hi Pat,
Not sure why you've include the family photos, but they are mildly titillating.

I did my big (12 hr!) shift yesterday at Performance Works. i was in my glory -being a slave to the sound tech, running cables for microphones, monitors, and power enlarging the stage, and being a general jahboney. We were setting up (and then taking down) the stage for the Literary Cabaret. Of course I got to watch/hear the whole production - what a treat!

Thank you for the bridge invite, but we'll have to decline - unfortunately we are busy on the 28th -  a benefit for a friend with cancer. 

I did read your tome about your recent comings and goings etc. The month in Oz sounds exciting! (Apropos I'm not sure what, I actually gave up my stool "in the booth in the back in the corner in the dark" to an Aussie writer last night. She needed it more than I as I was bopping to 
Sal F. et. al.

My bike is going o the doc today as I managed to bend my front derailleur on Thursday evening :( . there is a wicked raised bit of asphalt at the base of a lamp post on the CVGW just as you come out from the stretch east of Gilmore onto the roadside. I clipped it, and the pavement clipped me and my bike. My knee took a good whack, and is a lovely blue now, but otherwise all  seems functional. Teach me to ride home in the rain and the dark when I'm in a hurry? Well maybe...
Not sure about riding till I get the diagnosis on my bike.
    
8^) cheers, Mark
 
Hi Marcus Aurelius!

Terribly sorry to learn of your rather nasty sounding accidento! Trust all is well, with you and your bike now. Glad you enjoyed Literary Cabaret so much! You probably gave your stool to Cate Kennedy. She had us in stitches when she read from her latest work, a debut novel, The World Beneath, shortlisted for the Australian Literary Society Gold Medal for outstanding literary work. Glad you liked my family pic!
 
Will you be joining the Non-Readers Book Club at our place Sunday evening? Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 
Hi Carmen Miranda and Southside Johnny!

Great Halloween card! Thanks! Must apologize for not replying sooner but has been a busy time these past ten days or so. Week ago this morning, I picked up my friend, Andrew, who flew into town from Toronto, for a little more than a week at The Island Inn.
  Grogg and Lurch were over for dinner last Sunday before they left for Hawaii the next day! Tony/Sheila, mutual friends from squash days.

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment