Friday 28 October 2011

IIDD, Oct 28th

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs -- jolted by every pebble in the road. -Henry Ward Beecher, preacher and writer (1813-1887) 

Hi Ian!

Trust that your Mom's 88th went well. My Mother celebrated her 98th on September 22nd!

Had a wonderful ride yesterday with a number of friends. Met at Crown and SW Marine Drive, (One of group, Ken, lives in Ladner and so drove to rendezvous. He is Ray's friend and this was first time we've met.), and cycled back to UBC and around campus as Ken had not really been there since he graduated in 1974! Back towards Kits along Spanish Banks and then around Seawall, past Science World, to circumcylce Stanley Park. We often ride over the Lions Gate and back but Ray had a time constraint, (He is a retired math teacher and still tutors quite a few students.), so we just enjoyed the wonderfully calm ocean and gorgeous sunshine.

Once around park, Ray, (Robo Ray/Raymundo), and Ken, (no nickname yet as we've just met, as I mentioned above), left us to make their way over Burrard Bridge while George, (Whirlygig/Giorgio), and I retraced our earlier route around Science World back to our place, (Harbour Terrace, 1425 Lamey's Mill Road, #20, 604-734-9200), arriving just after noon. I started at 8:25am so it was a fairly decent ride, as far as distance and time are concerned, as I logged 73.33K by time we reached our place.

As I mentioned, you are more than welcome to be an "official observer" on Friday. People will be arriving between 6:00pm-7:00pm, so come whenever convenient. I have attached directions for how to find our place if the address alone isn't sufficient Look forward to hearing more about your exploits! Cheers, Patrizio!
 

Hi Misha!

Sorry I didn't read your email sooner as I renewed
Billionaire's Vinegar and it isn't due until November 15th1 Keep it until then if you still have it. Are you planning to attend on Sunday? If you will need a parking spot just let me know. Cheers, Patrizio!

Thank you Pat.
I hope to cycle :) . But will let you know. M


Hi Barb!

Trust you are well! Haven't heard from you in ages. Am wondering if you are still in Vancouver!

At any rate, I left a phone message but thought that I'd send an email as well. Andrew Sredzki is in town, from Toronto, until this coming Monday. Would like to invite you for dinner this coming Thursday evening, if you are free and interested. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizio!



Hi Titanium Man, Robertitio and rest of Lads!

The Non-Readers Book Club will be meeting at our place, The Island Inn, #20-1425 Lamey's Mill Road, 604-734-9200, place you were at the first time you met with us. Great that you are bringing Rob. Look forward to meeting him. Have attached directions in case you can't remember way.

Had a fabulo ride today with friend, Robo Ray, also an avid reader. We met at Macdonald and Point Grey and made our way out to UBC, along Spanish Banks, and thence along SW Marine to Arthur Laing/Iona. Mountains were stunning with an icing sugar dusting of snow. Some of the trees looked almost ablaze, such were the magnificent oranges and reds. Saw two bald eagles as well so we felt pretty exhilarated with ride and scenery, and perhaps, most importantly for our aged frames, lack of a strong headwind! After that we headed for Steveston, along Railway, rather than atop the dike, and back via #6 Road, over CSTB and then up Heather, cutting along 39th to make our way back to Raymundo's place near Arbutus and 23rd, with 83K on the clock.

Waved goodbye to Robo Ray and proceeded down Macdonald to make my way home via Kits Beach. Had 91K on odometer once I was in front of Harbour Terrace, our building, so knew I only had to ride to Science World/Plaza of Nations to make 101.33K by time I was ready to call it a day. Did just that and pulled into the parkade at 2:00pm so total elapsed time was five hours and twenty minutes. Know that is not much compared to your blistering pace/admirable distance but a good ride for both Ray and I. Wanted to cycle as far as we did as I don't think the wonderful weather will last over next few days.

See you around 7:00ish on Sunday. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi again, Dave!

Sorry, I forgot to attach directions! Cheers, Patrizio!

  
Dear Patrick

I attach my report card for the last few days.

Day 1

Received my next homework assignment and unfortunately scant praise for my recent efforts. Some threats of corporal punishment which, by the way, has  been  abolished in the mother country. Took some time off from homework to take Chris to a mentoring assignment at a primary school on the outskirts of York. Found some heathland owned by our shrinking army and explored there including the golf course therein. Distant sounds of gunfire and plenty of warning signs but managed to escape unscathed. Spoke to three veteran locals who seemed to have army connections who told me the barracks I had passed was the Army Medical training centre- they described it as our Mash. Not sure why they needed live ammunition- training sounds too realistic .

At the school Chris met the headmistress for the first time and she and her husband are lovers of Australia so Chris kept me waiting another half an hour while they exchanged notes. They visit Oz every year but in their winter given when our school summer holidays are. Her  plan is a 12 month camper van tour when she retires needless to say I got itchy feet which will have to stay still for another year. 

Lunch at Pret a Manger in York( another one  despite your allegations) and bought Chris a birthday present ( in addition to her surprise ones). I really have excelled myself this year trudging round ladies' shops.

Having been turned away from Tinker etc last night from our humble one screen former bingo hall cinema we have reserved tickets for tonight. Quite right Patrick this is the new film- we get these surprisingly quickly. I am hoping there will be no further incidents tonight and I don't have to ask people to be quiet. Hopefully there will be no more arguments about seat placement either. So far we have witnessed three altercations only one of which I was involved in.

Full house at the cinema. All we locals muttering as we left asking each other what was all that about.By the way there is little sign of in-breeding in Wetherby! Nevertheless quite enjoyed the concentration which should hold me in good stead for answering your email. Went on the web afterwards to seek clarification and noted the varying views on the film. The traditional  Le Carre readers seemed disappointed by the way the story had been somewhat mangled. Having said that the author himself had been involved in the re-write for the screen. I could do with watching it again.

Have discovered the merits of using my ipod( we haven't advanced as  far as ipad or iphone) on the exercise bike today, particularly when I had already finished the crossword( only with the assistance of Chambers Crossword Dictionary). I was bellowing out The Four Seasons Opus 17( find that in the Vivaldi repertoire if you can!) and several of Charles Hardin Holleys repertoire. I hope the garage door prevented the neighbours discomfort - with sufficient backing and not hearing one's own voice for the earplugs one can almost believe one can sing. 


Day 2

 After my supermarket duties did an hour fartlek- more walking than running. Daughter and husband Ed due to arrive and we thought we would do a raclette which we first discovered on a skiing holiday in France. Also watched Australia beat Wales in third place play-off- deserved as first Welsh try an obvious forward pass.

Laura and Ed arrived 8pm from Newcastle and we enjoyed the raclette(our version of)-scallops, crevettes, steak, lamb chops, tuna and then chocolate birthday cake.

Day3

After receiving another unscheduled bombardment I have decided that with my inadequacies I should call in the cavalry in the shape of my wife who seems more familiar with the authors you mention than I am.  I am now waiting for her to set pen to paper metaphorically.

In answering these recent missives or missiles may I request that teacher takes into account a picture is worth a thousand words so I start with a credit of 6,000 this week.

Our school had English masters called "Black Harry" and "Bull" Lindsay and a music master called "Dai" Reah so it is little wonder I am deficient in these areas in addition to woodwork where we had a Mr Laverty.

Our physics master was nicknamed "Death" because of his appearance and it might have been one of Ray's year who daubed the lab with "you stand at Death's door".

A question or two, Patrick, on literary matters. Firstly how can busy people eg William Hague find the time to write biographies of William Pitt? Secondly and similarly why is it that so many celebrities including politicians seem to think they can and should knock out novels, thrillers etc in addition to their memoirs. And finally do you get disappointed with many books which are obviously researched well but then die a death in the last chapters. A personal view only that one after recent experiences but one that provides me with an excuse for not reading more. This literary pressure is emerging from two sides as our friends the Taylors ( new friends of Ray and Sylvia) clearly think I am devoid of cultural stimulation and keep lending me books which I feel obliged to read and comment on. They have also loaned me a box set of the 2002 Spooks. 

I have enjoyed Ian Rankin novels although they or the environment are a bit seedy in my opinion. More from the cavalry on novels when she can be persuaded.

On the cycling front I note that you are frequently and carelessly mislaying your travelling companions and unfortunately you are not unique in this. I took two of my neighbours out to show them the local areas and noted that they have not reciprocated by asking me out again. Where are we going wrong would you say? I wouldn't mind but I paid for the coffees that day. In your case I feel it might be intimidation by distance and lack of stops both of which are advisable and easily remedied..

Day 3

Chris, Laura and Ed and  I were on the bikes today -after a quick inner tube change. Down to Boston Spa for the Americanos and hot chocolates then the men went their separate ways for a longer ride- 240 furlongs approx.

Realised when we got back that we had forgotten to take the thorn out of Chris's tyre so ended up doing two puncture repairs when we arrived home. Usual wrestling match to get the tyre back on.

I tripped myself up on that question on Timothy Taylors as I found out when having our anniversary lunch. I had landlord(4.5%) and I bought Chris a half of "Golden Best" (3.5%) which I find pubs often serve alongside Landlord. However on asking the barman he claimed that the Best Bitter at 4% is probably their second biggest seller. The mats on the bar featured the mild you mentioned and also once called something like Ram Tam. Three beers from a Skipton brewery too. I noticed the local pub near where I was in York had a Rudgate beer sign- I believe they won the UK championship beer award last year- so next time I am waiting for Chris..........

Mother's birthday next week. Always struggle, or should I say Christine does, as to what to buy her. Presents still in their paper appear out of her cupboards( I nearly said drawers) several years later. She can be quite outspoken about gifts too. Will be meeting her and my sister and husband at Betty's in Northallerton on Monday for (yet another) lunch. Chris has since told me she is lunching in Harrogate with one of our next door neighbours on Wednesday to add to her lunch and coffee meetings last week with other friends. You perhaps can see how she has influenced my training and caused me to fall behind.

Day 4

Down to the Taylors to watch World Cup Final over breakfast with Chris,Laura and Ed. Everyone but me seemed intent on New Zealand winning. I have no real allegiance to either side but since France were playing with some flair I began to favour them but was under strict family instruction to behave well so I bit my lip. I surpassed myself by not contradicting our hostess who claimed that "Now is the hour" is an Irish song.

Consequently I feel quite virtuous (as usual).

Still no assistance form the cavalry so will have to keep defending my corner myself. 

In my opinion an underhand move by my professeur to give me another set of homework before I had responded to the earlier one. More intimidating behaviour and I refuse to lie down in the face of this. Has he not heard of "child centred learning"?

Any more of this and I shall refuse to downsize photos before I send them in the hope it exceeds the teacher's download allowance.

Last episode of Spooks tonight and another of DA following the results of "Come Dancing". 

How is a fellow expected to complete his assignments with so many distractions?

I trust your celebrations went well as our double celebrations indeed did and that you have resumed serious cycling.

 I have not been able to fathom how you are able to cycle furlong distances so often, thereby making a rod for your own and others' backs but I do recognize that you are in a league of your own especially in your capacity to dipsy doodle ( and clearly multi-task). As you sit on your perch in the Island Inn preparing another assignment please remember we are poles apart in terms of our capacity to swot and please don't condemn your student(s) to a life in chain (e)mails.

With humble apologies for neglecting my work for such an indulgence.

Good wishes to you both. Jim and Christine (later)
 
Hi Patrick and Corrine,

Trust all is well at the Island Inn.

Jim asked me to add my literary views to some of your impressive meetings with authors ( lucky you!) and comments on some books. How envious I was at you meeting Ian Rankin and Peter Robinson. When Rankin lived in Edinburgh he frequented numerous coffee bars in his early days including coffees with J K Rowling.. Just goes to show how important lattes are for creativity Patrick!    I have read a number of Rankin's books and think I prefer his work to Peter Robinson's.

We have not read any Russell Banks..eg ..The Sweet Hereafter. Wondered if Corinne had read it and whether the Sisterhood would enjoy it?

You mentioned Kate Atkinson.......I am rather a fan of hers and enjoy her style of writing . She is from this part of the world and only this September was at  Fountains Abbey to discuss her novels, as part of Harrogate Festival. Unfortunately I missed it! The portrayal of Jackson Brodie on TV has been very good, a likeable roguish man in some respects. Her last book Started Early, Took My Dog, is set in Leeds and surrounding area. It received very positive write-ups , but not her best to my mind.

On holidays or on long  flights when we have time to kill we have read tomes such as C J Sansom (Dissolution, Sovereign and Revelation) and Ken Follett's mediaeval adventures. Jim sometimes says they are too long and verbose  but we quite like the Shardlake character.

He has been struggling with a book called The Rule of Four- turned to the end half way through after losing patience- we are not sure where this one came from. We have just been loaned The Trinity Six by Charles Cumming- we are amused by the glowing testimonials on the backs of some of these books!

Philippa Gregory who is a prolific writer of a certain genre is herself from Hartlepool which just shows that not all Hartlepudlians are like my husband.

We read  Mallory's diary and then the novel by Jeffrey Archer and found the latter much easier to grasp and follow-shows where we are coming from.

Jim brought Josephine Tey's "Bret Farrar" to Vancouver but like me failed to finish it. I went to see the film One Day with a friend after reading the book but Jim declined when he heard the subject.

Apparently we have just missed the Ilkley Literary festival- must look into this for another time.

DA got some poor press this week I am sad to say- perhaps rushed out?
We look forward to catching up on some of the old episodes of Spooks after seeing the last one on Sunday. 

We have had a busy few days, with Anniversaries and birthdays ( me 21 again) and Jim's mother 96 yesterday.
Jim has surprised me on my birthday with a new bright blue cycling top for the winter (among other things-JWB), so no excuses not keeping going over the winter! 

Jim's mother enjoyed going to to the famous tea room Bettys for lunch on her special day and Jim took a few photos of her and his sister and husband.

Well domestic duties call, Take care and best wishes to you both. Love Chris
 
Hi Chris and Jim!

Simply wonderful to hear from the literary end of the latte/luncheon crowd! Too, too bad you are not still here, Hot Chocolate Christine, as The Non-Readers Book Club, (many of the group have never read or finished the book so The Lame Schoolboy, (as opposed to le Carré's The Honourable Schoolboy!), would be a poifect new recruit, especially since he is now familiar with live ammunition  and the Army's training grounds!), will be meeting at our place this coming Sunday. Will be discussing The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine, by Wallace, Benjamin, 2008.

Last session we attended at VIWF was entitled An Intimate Evening with Aminatta Forna, from the UK/ Sierra Leone. She read from and talked about her "Memory of Love which won the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize for Best Book, was shortlisted for the Orange Prize and was selected as one of the best books of the year by the Sunday Telegraph, Financial Times and Times. She is also the author of Ancestor Stones, a novel, and The Devil That Danced on the Water, a memoir of her activist father and her country, Sierra Leone. She now lives in London."

A passionate, highly articulate speaker, she mesmerized us with her reading and thoughts, her informed answers to the audience's questions, her delightful sense of humour, her wonderfully ironic comments, both wry and dark. What an eye-opening, informative experience to the highly complex society and current situation of Sierre Leone, in particular, to the African continent as a whole. Certainly a powerful, remarkable spokesperson whose compelling voice needs to be heard, should be heard across the globe.

For The latte/pastry non-rider, had a fabulo jaunt yesterday with Robo Ray, also an avid reader, as you both know, but not interested in joining book club! We met at Macdonald and Point Grey and made our way out to UBC, along Spanish Banks, and thence along SW Marine to Arthur Laing/Iona. Mountains were stunning with an icing sugar dusting of snow. Some of the trees looked almost ablaze, such were the magnificent oranges and reds. Saw two bald eagles as well so we felt pretty exhilarated with ride and scenery, and perhaps, most importantly for our aged frames, lack of a strong headwind! After that we headed for Steveston, (Were not accosted by grumpy locals. Your altercation, this past summer, James, makes more sense to me after learning of your near fisticuffs at the local cinema. Perhaps you need to cut back on all the local craft brews you seem quaff so frequently without really working up a thirst, cycling or fartleking but a miserable few perches, at most!), along Railway, rather than atop the dike, and back via #6 Road, over CSTB and then up Heather, cutting along 39th to make our way back to Raymundo's place with 83K on the clock.

Waved goodbye to Robo Ray and proceeded down Macdonald to make my way home via Kits Beach. Had 91K on odometer once I was in front of Harbour Terrace, our building, so knew I only had to ride to Science World/Plaza of Nations to make 101.33K by time I was ready to call it a day. Did just that and pulled into the parkade at 2:00pm so total elapsed time was five hours and twenty minutes. Know that is not much compared to your blistering pace/admirable distances on the hills and dales of Yorkshire but a good ride for both Ray and I. You will be pleased to learn, Dear Reader, that my feet never touched the ground during the entire ride as I had my most attentive and willing squire, (Aged though he be. Sylvia mentioned that Ray will turn 70 next March, I believe. Had to be sharpish about keeping up with him for most if not all of the ride, as he had the bit in his mouth and was running like a thoroughbred, half-wheeling me to lung bursting and leg muscle screaming on the hills!), to push the walk button at all the important intersections! Wanted to cycle as far as we did as I knew, from the forecast., that the wonderful weather wouldn't last over next few days.

Last night we had a wonderful roast potatoe, twice-baked cauliflower and New Zealand lamb chop dinner. Invited a former girlfriend, Barbara Young, from university days in Winnipeg, now living here in Vancouver, for dinner. Barbara knew Andrew back then as well so thought it would be fun to have her meet Andrew again, after more than forty years. One of our first dates was when we went to a rugby Halloween party, costumed as die! Andrew and I played but a year or so, at a time when rugby was just starting in Winnipeg. Speaking of rugby, he and I watched the finals of the World Cup. Started just after midnight here and didn't finish until about 3:00am. Like you, I thought that the French outplayed the All Blacks for most of game. Not that I know much, if anything, about the game and its strategy but from my point of view, only their incredible defensive play near the end allowed them to hang on to their one point lead. I hadn't realized, at the time, that they hadn't won the title in 24 years, so am pleased, for the team and the fans, that they did so on home turf, of course.

But back to the classroom, leaving the playing fields behind, I must say that I detect a certain amount of self-pitying whingeing regarding reading assignments and other homework. If you spent less time watching telly and more time swotting you'd be able to speed read all the books your well-meaning friends foist upon you, dashing off succinct, critical reviews of all the well-researched drivel the politicians, celebrities and memoir writers publish. Stop complaining lad, and get down to work for a change or your next Half Term report will be a failing one. Your dear Mother will have to be brought in for a interview and apprised of the sad and sorry situation in which her less than perfect son has managed, through sloth, dipsomania and unadulterated procrastination to ensnare himself.

(Parenthetically, I'm sure she has saved her still wrapped birthday gifts so that she can pawn them to pay for Ray to tutor you! In a funny/sad way, we discovered many birthday/Christmas presents, sweaters and blouses, in my dear Grandmother's clothes closet, never worn. "Too good to wear," was here response when we'd ask. Coming from humble and difficult circumstance in the Ukraine and living through the Depression, she was of a generation, probably much like your Mom and the war, that denied themselves, selflessly but also because they had so little compared to our affluence. How could one wear a lovely cashmere sweater to dig the garden? Consequently, it remained in her chest of drawers, unused, not even put on in the house as it might be soiled in the course of baking bread or making soup or canning vegetables. You will note that both Ray and I have inherited some of this behaviour with respect to our cycling garb. Pleased to note that The Sisterhood is fighting this trend, rather successfully, I gather, hearing about the plethora of birthday gifts, one a spiffy cycling top! Of course, a built in excuse Not to ride: far too, too nice to get all sweaty!!!)

Well, time to go and visit Mom and then a quick visit to the GI Market for a loaf or two from Terra Bread. Have a coupon worth $5, part of volunteer package from VIWF, and Andrew, like my lovely Grandmother, enjoys a slice with most meals. Cora Lee has her rice bread but I'd prefer to eat cardboard!

Almost forgot, Raymundo forwarded the Hartlepool 1951 - YouTube clip! I enjoyed it immensely, in fact. Bit like watching newsreels that used to be shown at cinema when I was in Cyprus. I'm sure you saw such films yourself, British Pathé, was one, I think. Thought I saw you and Ray on the soccer pitch or in the background, watching the bathing beauty contest!

Finally, to spur you on to greater furlongs, wanted to mention that had a wonderful ride this past Tuesday RR and Whirlissimo. Met at Crown and SW Marine Drive, (One of group, Ken, Ray's friend, lives in Ladner and so drove to rendezvous. This was first time we've met.), and cycled back to UBC and around campus as Ken had not really been there since he graduated in 1974! Back towards Kits along Spanish Banks and then around Seawall, past Science World, to circumcylce Stanley Park. As you know, we often ride over the Lions Gate and back but Ray had a tutoring time constraint so we just enjoyed the wonderfully calm ocean and gorgeous sunshine.

Once around park Raymundo and Ken, (no nickname yet as we've just met, as I mentioned above), left us to make their way over Burrard Bridge while Giorgio), and I retraced our earlier route around Science World back to our place, arriving just after noon. I started at 8:25am so it was a fairly decent ride, as far as distance and time are concerned, as I logged 73.33K by time we reached our place. Hoped, as I walked in the door, that I wouldn't collapse on ice at curling that evening!

I invited Whirlissimo in for a spot of lunch and friend, Andrew, (El Cordobés), whipped us up absolutely fabuloso cheese and avocado omelettes! Ragin' Bull phoned just after we walked in door and wanted to go for a ride! Told him we had honked at him at around 10:30am, on way to SP, so invited him for a java. He arrived just as we were finishing our meal and we chatted over cookies and more coffee before Whirls and I said goodbye to Ragin'. Giorgio's girlfriend, Kerry, has an eleven-year old daughter, Tia, who is going to play the piano on November 11th, at Broadway Lodge, where Mother is a resident, as I think you know. I wanted to introduce George to chap, Bob, who looks after social activities so that they could make arrangements for Tia's recital. While the two were chatting I visited Mom and put cream on her arms and the back of her hands. At her age her skin is very dry and lotion certainly helps. While there I helped her with her juice. Bit like priming a pump as at first she would only chew the straw in the cup. Had to make her take a sip from the open container and then after that she seemed to remember how to draw the liquid up through the straw. Unfortunately, she isn't really able to comprehend any instructions for drinking or sipping. Once a given process is started, it seems that some sort of reflex mechanism sets in and, by and large, she then knows the appropriate response. Still, she finished the entire glass and was smiling by the time it was finished. Kissed her goodbye and said hello to a number of other residents we have come to know on way out.

Back home, Andrew was waiting for me as we had to drive out to the airport. When he left Toronto, last Saturday, he didn't realize, for some inexplicable reason, that he couldn't take the bottle of bourbon, Eagle Rare, 45%, he was bringing as a present for me, in his carry-on. Since he had already checked his bag, he had to leave the security area and return to the WestJet counter for a small box. He wrapped the bottle, (already in bubble wrap), in a few T-shirts and packaged it up. Once in Vancouver, it wasn't with his other bag so he filed a missing luggage form. When he told me what had happened, (I thought that he had missed his flight as he should have been out of the terminal by about 9:25am and I didn't locate him, at WestJet's YVR service counter, until shortly after 10:00am. This after circling three times and then eventually finding a spot in the "Loading Only" lane where one can usually park for a few minutes without being told to move on by the YVR Traffic Polizei! By 10:00am I decided that I needed to go inside as nobody was coming out of the terminal by this time. I told the warden that I would only be a minute or so and headed in search of the lost soul!), I thought that that would be the last we would see of the package. Felt especially badly for Andrew as I know he was quite excited about giving me the gift.

At any rate, WestJet called, just as the chef was finishing his masterpieces, to inform him that the parcel had finally arrived! To boot, they gave me a $100 credit towards my next flight with them for simply coming to collect the package. Everybody was happy!  Too bad they don't fly to England as I could pop over for an Americano and pastry in Wetherby, after cinema! Fondestos to you both from Cora Lee. Cheers, Headmaster Patrizio, otherwise known as El Muerte!

Pics: Happy Halloween! 40th anniversary of our first meeting, at a pub, in Winnipeg. Beautiful Fall afternoon, clear, crisp and sunny, when we went inside, to meet, by chance, later. More than a foot of snow when we left, together, as I wanted to drive Cora Lee to her place so I could "stalk" her! The Sisterhood reading while I do housework. Andrew, Executive chef, flown in from Toronto, at great expense, at sink, at stove. One of his magnificent creations. He's doing a chicken curry tonight. Will have two tables of bridge, eight players and four observers, latter needed as bartenders and food servers, scullions and maids! Gather Chris would fit in well with her mention of domestic duties at the end of her last email!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment