Wednesday 11 January 2012

IIDD, Jan 10th

There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with. -Harry Crews, novelist and playwright (b. 1935) 

Hi Ray!

I dream about receiving real mail, with or without stamps!

Let me know if sometime around 10:00am, on Tuesday, is fine with you. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hi Giggster!

I just returned from dropping Her Royal Highness off at Trinity. She is planning to pray, long and hard, for The Brotherhood! Lots to chat about, (recipes, snorkels, no knead Christmas cake, etc.), on Tuesday. Might even need a latte stop! Cheers, Die Froschmann!





Hi Whirlissimo!

Snorkels are ready and waiting as well! Unfortunately, Ragin' won't worry about fly by with the new anti-guano shell covering The Inside Passage. We'll have to enlist the help of the crows to dive bomb with mussels to pierce the super-structure or get Big Molly to rig an RPG launcher, CALIBATED IN .33 INCREMENTS, which takes empty malt bottles as ammo and shell his berth as we cycle past!

Remember The Alamo! Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 


Hi Lads!

As of this scribing, Marcus Aurelius, Whirlissimo and Robo Ray are on for a bit of a jaunt. However, Mr Cpsycho-Socks has a time constraint so perhaps we could arrange to do an up-and-over Lions Gate, meeting at Science World around tennish, exact, (to the nano second), chronological coordinates to be determined if this route appeals. Please advise but afternoon post. Snorkels available upon request. Cheers, Il Conduttore! UN Undersecretary for Translation and Gobbledygook!

Hallo Lads!

Da dieses Ritzen, sind Marcus Aurelius, Whirlissimo und Robo Ray auf für ein bisschen wie ein Ausflug. Allerdings hat Herr Cpsycho-Socks eine zeitliche Begrenzung so könnten wir vielleicht arrangieren zu tun ein Up-and-over Lions Gate, Treffen rund um Science World tennish, genau, (bis in den Nano Sekunde), chronologische Koordinaten bestimmt werden, wenn diese Route Appelle. Bitte informieren Sie aber am Nachmittag nach. Schnorchel auf Anfrage erhältlich. Cheers, Il Conduttore! UN Unterstaatssekretär für Übersetzen und Gobbledygook!

Bok dečki!

Od ove scribing, Marka Aurelija, Whirlissimo i Robo Ray se na za malo izlet. Međutim, gospodin Cpsycho-Čarape ima vremena ograničenje pa možda bismo mogli organizirati napraviti gore-preko Lions Gate, sastanak na znanost Svijet oko tennish, točan, (za nano drugi), kronološko koordinate koje će odrediti ako je to put žalbe. Molimo Vas savjetovati, ali popodne post. Snorkels dostupne na zahtjev. Živjeli, Il Conduttore! Podtajnik UN za prevođenje i Gobbledygook!

Hej gossar!

När detta ritsning, Marcus Aurelius, Whirlissimo och Robo Ray är på för lite av en utfärd. Däremot har herr Cpsycho-Strumpor en tidsbegränsning så vi kanske kunde ordna att göra en upp-och-över Lions Gate, församlade på Science World omkring tennish, exakt, (till nano sekund), som kronologiska koordinater bestämmas om denna väg överklaganden. Vänligen meddela men eftermiddagen inlägg. Snorklar på begäran. Cheers, Il Conduttore! FN: s statssekreterare för översättning och rappakalja!

Lads Dia duit!

Mar seo a scribing, Marcus Aurelius iad, Whirlissimo agus Robo Ray ar do beagán de jaunt. Mar sin féin, tá an tUasal Cpsycho-Stocaí mar shrian ama mar sin b'fhéidir go raibh muid socrú a dhéanamh ar bun-agus-os cionn Lions Gate, cruinniú ag an Domhain Eolaíocht timpeall tennish, cruinn, (go dtí an dara nana), comhordaíonn croineolaíoch a bheidh le cinneadh más rud é an bealach seo achomhairc. Tabhair comhairle a thabhairt ach tráthnóna bpost. Snorkels fáil ar iarratas. Cheers, Il Conduttore! Na Náisiún Aontaithe Forúnaí an Aistriúcháin agus Gobbledygook!
 
Pat,
    10 Tuesday is good for me but don't alter your plans re distance - I'll peel off when necessary.
                                                                                                                                                Ray
Deg o'r gloch y bore yn Nwyrain Creek Ffug mae'n!
    
8^) lloniannau, Mark (Ten o'clock in the morning in East False Creek it!

8 ^) cheers, Mark)


P,

Das timing is gut, yah mit der .33. Yavol, W


Patriçio,

Do you mean 10:00am  @Science World after, or hopefully before the up & over?

I am up for Tuesday on the conditions of not too ridiculously early and the weather is reasonable.  The bridge is not my fav, but I will succumb to the will of the majority.


más adelante//bjp
Gentlemen of the Sprocket!
Upon receiving Patiçio’s last cycling log, which can only be rivalled by Magellan’s rutter of his voyage through the pass bearing his name, I realized that there now remains only two courses of action.  My first preference, to take a 2lb sledge to Patriçio’s odometer, or the less draconian but likely less effective, is to purchase my own odometer and pepper him with compelling escapades of my travels.
To this end, I cycled up to Mountain Equipment Coop yesterday.  The journey looked rather long and arduous, so as a #50 bus just happened to be by, I tossed the cycle on the front rack and caught a ride to Broadway and Cambie.  From there, I braved the traffic for many blocks (3 I think) to arrive at MEC, only touching the ground twice for pedestrian crosswalks.
I decided to install the odometer right there at the bike rack in front of MEC as to gain maximum benefit and moral infusion.  Heading East, on the sidewalk to the next intersection, dipsy doodling amongst pedestrians, I managed not to touch the ground for 0.075K!!!  Once the light changed, I set out, but noticed the Soccer West outlet at Broadway and Columbia.  Needing a new sports bag, I stopped at the store, chatted with the lovely young girl sales clerk, finally bungi-cording my acquisition to my carrier, after logging 0.0K while in the store.
An exhilarating downhill to 8th ave, sharp left, and another 0.3K brought me to within eyesight of Cambie, but the aroma emitting from the bagel cafe on the left had such an intoxicating effect that I was ½ way through my lox and cream cheese bagel and Americano before regaining consciousness.
I took it easy heading west on 8th as not to risk cramping up from exercising immediately after eating, but made it to Cambie only stopping once at a crosswalk.  Upon reaching Cambie, I noticed the BCL there and recalled I was out of beer.  Now usually, I would just tear up the wheelchair ramp, but alas, it was occupied so I had to trek it.
With my 6-pack of Coronas safely in my pannier, the wheelchair ramp unoccupied, I rode down the ramp, hung a smooth right turn down the lane followed by a sharp left onto 7th avenue.  Now I was on the roll.  Another 0.35K without stopping or touching the ground!  I did stop at Heather street to chat with my mechanic (car needs a lube soon) but I swore this would be my last stop.
Off to the Laurel Street land bridge, but alas, as I swerved onto it I encountered dog walk rush hour and again had to slow down and negotiate the overpass in “scooter” mode – one foot on the pedal, the other pushing off the ground.
Finally past the bottleneck, I literally flew down the slope toward the sea wall at a blistering 5-10k/h and running over only 2 poodles and a Chihuahua I ran smack into the mayhem called “recess” at the elementary school.  Several irate women, posing as playground supervisors, attempted to accost me, waving frantically at the “no cycling” signs, but I eluded my would be captors and arrived at the marina gate, illegally riding along the dock, without further incident.
Tallying up my mileage over a well deserved beer, I could see that I would not remain Guinnessless for long!


más adelante//bjp

 Hi Ragin' Bull et al!

I must say that I found your dazzling, witty "parody" very amusing, extremely well written and uncompromisingly, nay, unflinchingly factual! Investigative journalism at its best! Pulitzer Perić from now on. Once you extirpate the completely unnecessary and ever so unattractive whining and incessant whineging from your verbal delivery, you have the very makings of a highly paid foreign correspondent or TV anchor. Move over Peter, watch out Anderson!



In the same vein, Big Molly possesses a similar talent and is probably the new Jimmy Olson, Cub Reporter, particularly since he lives close to Metrotown, Burnaby's Metropolis.



From now on, I'll have you two ghost write my missives and then I'll have more time to circle and watch my odometer turn over!!! 101.30, 102.31, 103.32, 104.33 ad infinitum and always counting, never stopping come Hell or Hot Lattes! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Patriçio,

do we have confirmaçioné?
  


Hello fellow bikers and dipsey doodlers,


I would be happy to join in the around and possibly the up and over as well. I have a meeting at science world at 7:30 am as I need to consult on the energy drum before the general public are unleashed upon the exhibits at 9:30 . As I might be out of there before that time, perhaps I will ride over to the harbour terrace and see if I can catch Patrice in the act of spinning the front wheel to add mileage to his trip meter before he sets out!.

Otherwise if he has chosen to do this at some hideout on the way I will meet everyone at Science world again at 10:00. Cheers, A  

 

Caballeros,



Patriçio has a pet hamster to perform that task …



I will be making coffee on the Inside Passage and lubing my chain in the a.m.  Pls call my cell from the Inn to give me 20 min notice of pass by or, drop by for a java.



I am big on the around.  Not *too* so on the up an over, especially if the wind does not subside - it is ripping as I write, ropes are squeaking and my guest is getting sea sick - but he's a woos.

más adelante//bjp


Hello Lads!

In spite of all the nay saying, whingeing, whining and general excuse
making, The Riders of the Purple Sage will gather at the Heartbreak Terrace
at 10:00am, Tuesday, January 10th, to proceed, in an easterly direction,
past Spruce Harbour Marina, no later than 6.533 minutes later. One or two
honks of Whirlissimo's goose horn and we will continue on to Science World
to rendezvous with whatever Burnaboids have managed the trek from The
Hinterland. Join us if you dare, Ragin' Bull, Big Molly and Marcus Aurelius!

I should add that after the ride everyone, (ie., those left in the saddle!),
is invited to the Island Inn for java, soup, sandwiches and Robo Ray's
infamous Christmas cake! Andiamo! Cheers, Il Conduttore!!!

Olá rapazes!

Apesar de todos os dizendo não, whingeing, lamentando-se e desculpa geral de
tomada, The Riders of the Purple Sábio se reúnem no Terraço Heartbreak às
10:00 horas, terça-feira 10 janeiro, para prosseguir, no sentido leste,
passando por Spruce Harbour Marina , o mais tardar 6,533 minutos mais tarde.
Um ou dois buzina de chifre Whirlissimo de ganso e vamos continuar para
Mundial da Ciência ao encontro com o que Burnaboids conseguiram a caminhada
do interior. Se juntar a nós, se você ousar, Bull Ragin ', Big Molly e Marco
Aurélio!

Devo acrescentar que após o passeio de todos, (ou seja, aqueles que ficaram
na sela!), É convidado para o Inn Ilha de java, sopa, sanduíches e bolo de
Natal Ray Robo infame! Andiamo! Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 
P,

See you the HT sub terrain at 10:00.33AM.

Goose horn is tuned to new velocity-- from 50.33 metres it will vacate
nearby marina like an air raid siren. Collateral damage should be
anticipated -- a goose fly by is also triggered.  W

Hi Patrick,

You and Corrinne are invited to our customary Robert Burns night on
Saturday, January 21st, at 6:30 PM.

The usual haggis, bashed neeps, champit tatties and cock-a-leeckie
soup will be served as a prelude to

some sampling of Scotland's finest. Hope you are able to join us. -Colin
Hi Colin!

Great to see you and Jo-Anne at our Open House! However, when you mentioned Robbie Burns' Night, over the course of the afternoon/evening, I somehow assumed you meant Wednesday, January 25. Unfortunately, for us, we had already committed ourselves to a friend's  birthday party on the 21st! I do apologize for my misunderstanding, especially since past gatherings have been so delightful. Regrets but certainly trust your dinner goes well for The Bard. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Are you free on the 25th???? 
Hi Colin!

Yes, the 25th is open, with a minor proviso. Cora Lee has a meeting at 5:30pm, for about an hour or so. She should be finished by 7:00pm at the latest. However, please don't reschedule on our account, particularly if it means all sorts of other re-arrangements for other guests. At any rate, let me know what you think. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hi Patricio.


Am doing fine. Thanks for the warnings and directives.  I feel safer already!





Hi Heraldo!

Terrific that you are feeling better! I trust these pics won't hurt your healing incision!!! Cheers, Patrizzio! 



wind storm, old house, kinda scary, sleepover anyone??






Hi Teens!

Great performance indeed! Here is Grogg's email address so I'll let you send him the video. Perhaps he can practice his harmonica playing while cruising the South Pacific. Cheers, Patrizzio!






Hi Pat:

Thanks for this. I really enjoyed Wolf Hall and the 2 sequels look very interesting. Have you read the CJ Sansom novels Dark Fire, Sovereign? I just finished The Sisters Brothers and A Good Man, both of which I  enjoyed.

Polly says that she was trying to get a bridge night with you Corrine,  Dusty and Clara at our house? Does this work for you? Cheers Mike

Hi Mick!


Glad you enjoyed the review. I don't know Sansom but plan to read The Sisters Brothers as soon as I finish Michael Connelly's latest Harry Bosch novel, The Drop. Received the former for Christmas, Chloe, the latter, so everyone is swapping! Ray passed along Alice LaPlante's Turn of Mind,  really a remarkable first novel about a retired orthopedic surgeon with dementia.

"As the book opens, Dr. Jennifer White’s best friend, Amanda, who lived down the block, has been killed, and four fingers surgically removed from her hand. Dr. White is the prime suspect and she herself doesn’t know whether she did it. Told in White’s own voice, fractured and eloquent, a picture emerges of the surprisingly intimate, complex alliance between these life-long friends—two proud, forceful women who were at times each other’s most formidable adversaries. As the investigation into the murder deepens and White’s relationships with her live-in caretaker and two grown children intensify, a chilling question lingers: is White’s shattered memory preventing her from revealing the truth or helping her to hide it?" Recommend it most highly!

With respect to bridge, with Clara and Dusty, we'd love to get together. Let us know what date(s) you have in mind and we'll see if we can mesh all the retirees' busy schedules!

Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Rock Machine!

I see you two have been very busy as well! Mexico sounds wonderful. I can see that you need a holiday if your idea of celebrating the Winter Solstice is "solace"! You better head out to YVR tomorrow! I saw Sarge, briefly, this evening, and he thinks we'll both walk down to you place, unless Cora Lee feels up to going out and then we'll have to take a vehicle as close as possible.

Few errands for The Demanding One today. Picked up thread at a craft store so she can finish a Christmas cross-stitching, an angel, for Chloë. Then to church to collect turkey stuffing ingredients. Chloë and I are volunteering for Christmas Lunch for homeless on Christmas morning and will prepare stuffing at home beforehand. Her Majesty suitably satisfied with her servant's accomplishments, I rode to Aquatic Centre. Bit dampish as a light drizzle enveloped city. Quite pretty actually. Reminded me of London in the fog in the Sherlock Holmes movie, scenes near or on the Thames. Just 2.5K today as I'm gearing up for 3 miles tomorrow, or at least I hope so! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pic: Mini-polar bear under our Christmas tree!


Cute. Hope you guys had a great Xmas and New years. See you soon. Lori 

Hi Lori!

Trust you enjoyed a wonderful time in Mexico! Wanted to pass along some of the snaps I took at party. Please send me Brenda's email address, if you have it, as I'd like to thank them for lovely evening. As well, please pass along pics to Daniel and Robert. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Happy New year! It is our first day back at work. Great pics. Cute one of the boys. I will forward to Brenda. You can add a note if you like. Had a great time in Ziwat/Ixtapa. Its so relaxing and warm. Already looking forward to my next vacation. Lori

Hi Lori!

Thanks fro Brenda's email address. Glad Mexico was everything. and more, that you wished it to be! Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Brenda and Ergün!

Trust you are both well! I sent Lori some of the pictures I took at the party and asked her to forward them to you as I didn't have your email address at that time. Once she was back from Mexico she provided me with your email address as I we wanted to thank you both for the lovely evening and the limo ride! Very, very generous of you. Enjoyed meeting some of your friends as well as chatting about Cyprus with Ibrahim. The food was more than delicious, a veritable feast! Thanks again, to you both, for everything. All the best in 2012. Cheers, Cora Lee and Patrizzio!

P,

Ray and I waited for you across from Park Royal and saw that you headed
south west to Ambleside while we continued over the bridge. You made no
mention of your liaison with the West Van Latte club?

Branko stayed with us until Prospect Point and faded from view as we zipped
thru the park -- likely stopped for latte as well.

We know it was all a diversion so you could eat Ray's cake yourself.  W


Dečki,

I didn't stop for latte - I just faded … thought you guys were getting even for me pushing the pace over the bridge.  Burned me out a bit I'm afraid.  Dropped by Pat's, but no one was there so I had to settle for entertaining his lovely better 1/2.

I was going to mention my BD party on the 21st - hopefully at least some of the Purple Sage Cycle Club can make it.  George, if you can come, bring the clan.  I have Netflix and tons of videos on the boat if cabin girl … oops ... 1st mate gets bored.


más adelante//bjp

To All members, in Good Standing, of the West Van Latte Club!

Dear WVLC's:

Here follows a forensic investigation into the dissolution of the peleton, Tuesday, January 10th, with such recommendations as are deemed appropriate for preventing said fragmentation from recurring!

Last Tuesday's ride was a grand outing. Hadn't had a full peleton in ages and a great way to start out the New Year. Couldn't have asked for a better day with its glorious sunshine, glinting off English Bay and  the snow capped mountain peaks. However, as everyone well knows, it all went sideways when Ragin' Bull remained on the road shortly after we swooped past Brockton Point Lighthouse. And to further confuse matters, Big Molly and Marcus Aurelius made a pit stop at the restrooms near Lumberman's Arch. I continued along Seawall while Whirlygig and Robo Ray went after Pulitzer Perić, racing towards hill leading to causeway and Lions Gate. By the time I left the Seawall to take the road myself, I could see the leaders rounding the corner at the base of the hill. When I made the same turn, the rabbits were almost at the top of the climb and still no sign of the Full Bladder Boys.

Close to the crest, however, Marcus shot by me and Big Molly was not far behind. He would have zipped by me but had trouble shifting gears. The sound of grinding, tortured metal and exasperated cursing, Dear reader, rent the otherwise bucolic calm of the surroundings. For my part, partially deafened by the shocking din, I proceeded towards the bridge deck and a much disgruntled Burnaboid, still muttering, fussing and fuming about gears, sprockets and derailleur settings, joined me just as we passed under the small road bridge leading to Prospect Point. While we made our way towards Marcus Aurelius, official ride photographer, already waiting at crest to snap us as we approached, Big Molly said that he would stop, mid-bridge, to enjoy view and a sandwich he'd brought along, before turning back to make for a work-related appointment. I said goodbye to Big Al just before we reached Marcus Bourke-White and enjoyed the exhilarating downhill run.

Not sure if the rest of the gang were ahead or not, I proceeded under bridge and towards Park Royal. Still no sign of other riders so I decided to proceed towards Ambleside. [Was to learn later, from Whirlygig:

Ray and I waited for you across from Park Royal and saw that you headed south west to Ambleside while we continued over the bridge. You made no mention of your liaison with the West Van Latte club?]

Short way along, Shutterbug Aurelius caught up and I asked him if he knew what had happened to others. He suspected that they were up ahead but I doubted this to be the case, assuming they would have stopped to wait, at some point, in indeed they had come this far. At any rate, I wanted to proceed to Travers and Marine Drive and we did just that. A jocular, getting-to-know-one-another ride, other than a slight mishap on the No Exit just past 28th and Upper Bellevue where poor Marcus ended up in the hedge after we both misjudged a tight turn, he, bravely, sacrificing his younger, more agile and resilient self to the fall so that my feet remained in my clips. Somewhat of a Pyrrhic gesture, however, as I had already had to re-set my odometer, earlier in the ride, back at the Float Plane Terminal when distracted by Big Molly's incessant chatter we had taken the wrong path past the Convention Centre, though a narrow passageway, with steps, that mandated dismounting, Dear Reader! The psychological agony of having my feet touch the ground, at this easily avoided point, was almost unbearable, as you can well imagine, and my frame of mind was not all improved by the cruel barbs and jests which flooded forth from my churlish riding companions. Insensitive louts all!!!

We completed the jaunt, unscathed, to Marine Drive and then made return trek. I would have liked to go round the Seawall again, once we reached Second Beach but Marcus had promised to meet his cousin by 2:00pm and we were already running a tad late for him to make that time as it was about 1:15pm when we reached Denman. Since he had a $5 voucher for Terra Breads Café in the Olympic Village, he wanted to stop there to pick up a bite to eat and call his cousin to say he would be a few minutes late. Once there, I waved goodbye and made for the Heartbreak Terrace and beyond.

I knew I would need another 10K or so, past home, to log 61k by end of ride, so I determined to accomplish this by riding to Cornwall and Trafalgar, just past Kits Beach Outdoor Pool. A few dipsy-doodles around Kits Point and I had 61.33K on my trusty odometre when back at 1425 Lamey's Mill Road at 2:15pm. A very, very pleasant junket in spite of losing entire peleton en route!!!

When I made it inside, learned from Her Royal Highness that she had been entertaining Ragin' Bull for last hour or. Was also able to put together more pieces of the peleton jigsaw puzzle from Captain Barnacle's email:

"Dečki, (Guys!)

I didn't stop for latte - I just faded … thought you guys were getting even for me pushing the pace over the bridge.  Burned me out a bit I'm afraid.  Dropped by Pat's, but no one was there so I had to settle for entertaining his lovely better 1/2."

In an earlier message I had invited everyone on ride back to our place for java and a bite to eat, including Robo Rays highly alcoholic Christmas Cake! Not surprisingly, the the cynical Giggster opined, "We know it was all a diversion so you could eat Ray's cake yourself!" Apparently, Ragin' Bull was still too, too fatigued to have a bite of the restorative dessert, so I helped myself to his portion once I was showered and changed! Still, wonderful to see Lads after a bit of a break over hols.



Recommendations:

1) Listen to Il Conduttore, at all times!

2) Don't "peel off" or stop without first making arrangements for a rendezvous point.

3) Listen to Il Conduttore, at all times!

4) Don't distract Il Conduttore at critical points during ride.

5) Listen to Il Conduttore, at all times!

6) Don't execute tight turns without sufficient advance warning to other rider(s).

7) Listen to Il Conduttore, at all times!

8) Listen to Il Conduttore, at all times!

9) In case of an emergency, ALWAYS Listen to Il Conduttore!

NOTE: Recommendations, 1,3,5,7,8 and 9 are the most important, most critical to the well-being and safety of the peleton. Ignore at your risk and peril!!!

Cheers to My Listening Public, Il Conduttore!


No comments:

Post a Comment