Wednesday 4 January 2012

IIDD, Jan 4th



Rotation (green), precession (blue), and nutation (red)

Illustrator: Herbye, Source: Wikipedia





To be capable of embarrassment is the beginning of moral consciousness. Honor grows from qualms. -John Leonard, critic (1939-2008) 


Weit gereist und halb erfroren! (Widely traveled and half frozen!)

Ich konnte es nicht dein Herz besser beschrieben haben, Nadienka! (I couldn't have described your heart better, Nadienka!)

Du kannst deutsch?!? (Can you German??)

Mein Hochdeutsch ist viel, viel besser als deine minderwertigen Schweizerdeutsch, Liebchen! (My High German is far, far better than your inferior Swiss German, Liebchen!)


Ah ja? Dann überprüfe bitte nochmal deine Grammatik. (Oh, yeah? Then please check again your grammar) So, jetzt The Host Tochter ist die Korrektur ihrer Host-Vater! Und sie nie, nie machte ihre Hausaufgaben! (So, now host The daughter is the correction of their host-father! And they never, never did her homework!)
Ich bin seit Montag jeden Tag in der Bibliothek am lernen, lieber Host Vater! Und was ist deine Tagesbeschäftigung? (I am every day since Monday in the library, learn, dear host father! And what is your period of employment?)
 Ich habe, seit Donnerstag, gebetet, auf meine alten Knie, für eine Verbesserung Ihrer Haltung gegenüber Ihrer Liebe widmete, noch verleumdet, Host-Vater! (I have, since Thursday, been praying, on my aged knees, for an improvement in your attitude towards your Dear, Devoted, yet Maligned, Host Father!)



Q. I am editing an article, and the terms “Cause of Death,” “Manner of Death,” “Natural,” “Accident,” “Suicide,” “Homicide,” and “Undetermined” are all capitalized. If the term is reused later in the article, e.g., “This is a Natural death” and “There has been no finding as to the Manner and possible Cause of death,” should I capitalize “Natural,” “Manner,” and “Cause” in this latter usage?
A. This type of capping is antiquated and unfortunate. As common nouns and adjectives, the terms should be lowercased. They may be italicized on first mention, but afterward they should appear as regular words—no italics or quotation marks or caps. 

                  Excerpt from the January Q&A on the Chicago Manual of Style Online 


 Betty White's birthday is just two weeks away. Betty is loved here at Hallmark...
@patriziodunn Happy New Year. See you in two weeks. 

Patrick Dunn

 
Healthy New Year, Zircon! Please remind me of your flight details. More news to follow! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

@patriziodunn Flight Itinerary is Arr YVR on WS248 at 1:59 pm on Monday Jan 16. Will call from the train.
  Hi Zircon! Are you available for dinner that night? I thought we'd invite Bob and Corinne. Cheers, Patrizzio!

                                       Silverlake Art, Craft & Vintage Holiday Market

Ray, Patrick

G'day fellow cyclists and general fitness enthusiasts. No need for New Year resolutions for us is there ?

Managed a short ride this morning before the rain set in and after an hour on the exercise bike with Soduku last night. Had an eventful day- Harrogate Library, new pair of jeans, light lunch out, bought new Utility room cupboard and visit to rubbish tip to get rid of cardboard packing and bottles. Doesn't get much better than this.

Saw Pools lose their ninth successive home match on Jan 2, despite new manager, with Rene and have vowed not to attend Saturday's home match. Rang Ivor and Anne up to wish them a Happy New Year and discuss football the next day. Ivor still remarkably upbeat despite occasional further health problems. We had sent him a Mail photo of Cerebos when they won lots of local football trophies- really good picture of him but not sure whether he would be able to see it despite Warren enlarging it.

Main news in the Brownlee household naturally is Laura's pregnancy- now 15 weeks, after the earlier pregnancy problem of 2011.We have seen the scans. Ed's foot is still in plaster and he is hopping round a local hospice learning more about care- this might come in useful for us. Not helping Laura too much however since he can't drive.

Janet's daughter has a serious and unusual operation on her diaphragm next week which we are keeping fingers crossed about. On the success of this hinges Janet and her husband's annual trip to Barbados and our responsibilities to provide care for my mother through February.

Mothers getting more cantankerous. Christine's mother trying to force feed us all and mine not pulling many punches about what she likes and dislikes. 

My TV cultural education has continued with a late night watching of 1950s version of "A Tale of Two Cities" and the last episode of "Great Expectations". Dickens 200th anniversary celebrations I believe. I fell asleep trying to watch the latest series of Sherlock Holmes and after trying to follow the last hour had to catch it all up on TV last night. Got to say I enjoy this modern day version of Holmes and Watson(Martin Freeman). The mobile phone technology in use by Holmes and his adversaries strained my understanding at times. 

Are you any further on with Downton Abbey or any other of the above say? We shall get round to playing catch up on MI5 at some stage after the earlier failure with Brian Taylor's DVD box set- wrong continent? Brian and Pat( who Ray and Sylvia got to know in 2010, Patrick ) spent some time in Berlin in December. We hope to see them soon this year. Brian is having knee problems still.

Still practising parenting I tried in vain to get the family interested in bridge, on which I am only a novice, over the Christmas period. I even tried dealing the four hands and playing them myself to try and remember what my night school class of fifteen  years ago tried to teach me but nobody took pity on me and joined in. In the same curmudgeonly spirit in which I attended the horse racing I was briefly persuaded to play the Newcastle-upon Tyne version of Monopoly. I did enjoy a couple of sessions of tennis with Rich down at Wetherby Tennis Club while he was home. We do drills mainly as it is not realistic for me to compete. Rich is off skiing to Japan again in February with some people he met at Fernie two years ago. One of them works out there in the Japanese  resort.

Still haven't heard any news on Ken's mother- have you Ray? Carol and Rene said they hadn't seen any announcement in their local paper.

4.15 pm- pitch black and raining, central heating blasting away, wife nodding off in lounge, also in darkness .

We wish you both , Sylvia and Corinne, your families, together with George, Imre, Ilse and the Sutherlands our best wishes for this year.
Ray, perhaps you could let us know Ilse's full name and address as we would like to thank her for her kindness. Jim and Christine

Hi Chris and Jim!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012! Sorry that I've not been in touch a bit sooner. Not quite sure where all of the time has gone and the new year has only just begun! Thank you for your good wishes and news. I will certainly pass along the greetings to Imre when I next see him. Of late, he is doing not too, too badly. Don't really need to worry about Clan Sutherland as they are usually here every day!!!

Whirlygig and Kerry and Tia Maria cycled to our Open House on New Year's Day. Wonderful that a few "greens" could join us, even if Robo Ray and Sylvia drove! Speaking of Raymundo, I felt a bit badly that he was more than miffed about the Christmas Cake he had given to me for my birthday. I have since regaled countless friends with the fact that I had taken to anointing it with liberal dousings of spiced rum over the weeks prior to festivities and set it out for dessert at the Open House. With each of his subsequent helpings, (He certainly kept going back for more!), he would whine about how much better it was than the ones at home! Quite enjoyed reminding the Dear Reader about the time I popped by one afternoon, before Christmas, and he took me into their kitchen to show me how to drizzle brandy over cake. He used a teaspoon and doled out liquid from a mickey. I played dumb as I hadn't the heart to tell him that I simply poured rum straight from the bottle, probably a little less than a third of his bottle, at one time! Must admit, it really is a wonderful cake in spite of the over-abundance of flour!!!

Started of the New Year regimen with a two mile swim at the Aquatic Centre this past Monday. Shoulder felt pretty good so quite exhilarated to be back, "surging" through the water. More like "plowing" than "surging" but still felt wonderful. Don't think it had much to do with cycling on the bottom of the pool but I may well be mistaken!

[For context, this sent to Cycling Group, by Whirlissimo:

Re: the image attached. You thought that my notions of the Conductor and his underwater riding were far fetched. This article in the Dec 19th and 26th New Yorker is really wonderful. It is about what is called guinnesssport - trying to attain Guinness sanctioned world records and the guy who has the most. Being with without a record, like most of us, makes us - guinnless...

Ragin' Bull's response to above:

Gang,

I am sure the Guinness record for "longest distance cycling without touching the ground while having to dipsy doodle in circles during red lights"  is probably already set pretty high, so it makes sense the Conductoré has innovated.  I am not sure about the tank though.  A hose to a floating device at the surface with a pedal driven pump to produce the pressure required to deliver air would eliminated the problem of the tank running out.

As you can see, I am under constant attack!!!]

Friends from Perth, Yien/Mike and their children, Jessica/Olivia and Joshua, were over for dinner that evening and we had a great visit. Flamin' and Sarge came up as well. Turns out that we will meet Famiglia Pether for a few days in Darwin in late April. They are there for a conference. Will spend three days in Kakadu with entire family but, unfortunately, we will be there after their outing. They will come for dinner this coming Monday and we hope to grill them for more details about Cairns and Darwin then.

In spite of reasonably inclement weather, over last week, I have managed a few wonderful rides. On Tuesday, I decided that I would do an up-and-over. If I'm remembering correctly, forecast was for rain but day turned out to be dry with not too, too much wind. I went as far as Argyle, in West Van, just before steepish hill that leads to Dundarave. Had 22K on my odometer by time I turned around. Since I wanted to log 50K by finish, I had decided I'd do another loop of park once I was back at the playground near Second Beach. Did just that and pulled into the Heartbreak Terrace with 51.33K to show for my efforts. Rather pleased as this was the longest ride I'd managed since before Christmas!

Wednesday I was on Footman's duty with Her Majesty so only exercise I managed was lifting her contraption in and out of car! On Thursday, however, I wanted to hit pool again so decided I'd go for a shorter ride beforehand. Turned right at Seawall junction to head to downtown and followed bike route all the way to Canada Place. One needs to make a slight detour to avoid stairs leading to Convention Center, beside Seaplane Terminal, but an easy one as bicycle accessible ramps allowed me to keep my feet on the pedals! A major concern, as you well know, Dear Reader! Must say that ride along Canada Place deck is quite picturesque, providing a simply glorious view of North Shore and the mountains, together with terrific panorama of harbour and container cranes, etc. About 4K from turnoff, (11K to that point), so I dipsy-doodled a bit heading back to Aquatic Centre to have 24K on odometre, in anticipation of being able to log final tally, magic number 31.33K, by time I was home. Swim went well although I had to sign numerous autographs after I broke surface in the shallow end. Applause was more than deafening and I was toweled off by stanchion worthy pretties in very skimpy bikinis before being massaged by two Swedish masseuses, with scented oils and aphrodisiacal unguents in the sauna! I upped distance to 2.5miles, inching my way towards 3 mile goal as a benchmark, as I used a new and improved Übersnorkel. I broke that barrier before the 31st but want to make it my "normal" (ie., without wheels), swim distance. Veddy, veddy slow but sure.

[My response to Detractors:

Tuesday looks like first day for a ride so am wondering if any of the Unbelievers/ Highly Skeptical, Guinnless or Just Plain Jealous are interested in going toe-to-toe with The Übersnorkel. Let me know about proposed route, (I propose riding beneath False Creek so that we could attach a few limpet mines to the hull of the Inside Passage!), and rendezvous time/place, if so. Cheers, Patrizzio, Übermensch Unterwasser Radfahrer!]

Knew forecast held rain to start around noon, yesterday but sky looked promising so I delayed my start until about 10:30am. Discovered that it was much, much cooler than I thought when I headed out, fighting a fairly stiff wind. Thought that temperature would mean that rain would hold off so didn't mind the buffeting. Once I rounded Science World only had the occasional strong gust. Have given up trying to figure out wind direction but I think it was a southeasterly or an eastsoutherly! At any rate, I returned to Canada Place and then over Lions Gate, fighting a reasonably strong cross wind and the beginnings of rain. By the time I had circled under bridge it was coming down fairly steadily and my riding shorts and designer long underwear were soaked. Thighs were not uncomfortable but my feet were blocks of ice, (Where are Robo Ray's Cpsyco-Socks when you really need them?), and my hands were turning into icicles in spite of my attempts to warm them through repeated clenching while grimacing!

Since I was already wet I decided to push on, going all the way to Travers and Marine Drive. A few blocks before that another foolhardy rider passed me and commented on how wet the day had turned out to be. I agreed, wholeheartedly, but didn't realize what was in store until I started the return journey. Now I was heading into the wind, (No surprise there, shades of Stink Island Revisited!), and the rain was pelting down. At times, I just wanted to curl up by the side of the road and expire, cursing myself for not limiting the ride to an up-an-over! Nevertheless, I pushed on, dreaming of a steaming latte and Robo Ray's cake, and made it to the bridge deck with almost 40K on the trusty odometre.

Rain abated, somewhat, on ascent and long haul warmed my frozen extremities, somewhat. My core was quite comfortable but my hands and feet felt like they'd been injected with Novocaine, ironically, however, maddeningly numb yet naggingly painful, at one and the same time!! Finally made it to Prospect Point, the coffee shop luring me with its steamed windows and promises of piping hot bowls of soup and frothy cappuccinos, but I clenched my frozen lips and headed downhill. Back into the wind for the interminable descent, the hyper chilled air raking me with absolute zero fingers!

Originally, after the SP/LG/WV circuit, I intended to make for West Broadway and Young Brothers to buy some vegetables needed for the weekend meals. I planned to clock 61K by the time I stepped onto the sidewalk there but by the time I was out of the park and heading for Science World I knew that I would be hard pressed to ride to Kitsilano. I had ridden 45K by the time I was 10K from Harbour Terrace, (viaduct/playground near Second Beach), so I knew I only had 6K worth of dipsy-doodling to reach my target distance. Rain had stopped by the time I was at Science World but so had the circulation in my fingers and thumbs. Sn even poked its head out although I felt no warmth from its anaemic presence. Nevertheless, I battled on, cursing the turtle slowness with which the distance display ticked over, babbling to myself, (drawing anxious, wary looks from passersby), to keep going before hypothermia finally set in.

Chilled, literally to the bone, I wheeled into our parkade, exulting in the hard won 61.33K. My thrilling flush of victory was sort lived, however, as I literally could not press the button on the clicker to open the garage door. I felt a bit like Jon Krakauer near the top of Everest struggling with his oxygen valve. Finally managed, using a finger knuckle, to depress button and I was home at last! Nevertheless, I knew I couldn't deal with locking my bike or unhitching my panniers so simply left my trusty steed unchained and made for the warmth of the hallway. With lobster claws I opened doors and stumbled into The Island Inn, walking like a man with no toes. Her Majesty was dozing, reclining on the couch so, after taking my sodden sneakers outside, I caressed her exposed throat with my antarctic digits and she screamed so loudly that Maggie achieved vertical liftoff from where she had been sleeping peacefully on the Royal Tummy! Share the pain of your loyal minions 'yer Ladyship!!!

Few minutes after my feet and hands had started to un-thaw, Stefano came by to deliver the gloves and toque he had borrowed earlier in their stay. I offered him a cup of freshly brewed java and we caught up on their recent junket to Edmonton as well as making more plans for our visit with them in March, in Mornington, as well as Hunter Valley, in April. He paid final obeisance to Cora Lee Regina and I dropped him off the Main Street SkyTrain Station to make his own way back to Burnaby, South Slope. Sorry to see them return to Oz, of course, but glad that we will see both Kathleen and Mandolin Man in a little more than two months.

I proceeded to Costco to pick up list the Royal Cook had prepared and then a quick stop at Marquis for two bottles of el Grano, Chile, 13%, 2010 Sauvignon Blanc, one of their WOW, (Wines of the Weekend), offerings. Then to Capers on 4th to purchase rice crumbs for Her Majesty's gluten free diet. After that, popped into Kissilano Wines for a couple of bottles of Aljibes, Spain, 2005 Red, (35% Cabbage, 35% Merlot, 30% Cab Franc, 13.5%), and then raced home. Found The Sutherland Freeloaders already ensconced, pounding a Church & State 2009 Pinot Gris, spicy, with hints of lychee and a fresh, crisp finish, munching on Cambozola and rice crackers, checking out flights, car rentals and accommodation in OZ for coming trip.

Once I unloaded groceries, Her Highness put Sarge to work on dinner, preparing Rosita's orange chicken thigh dish while I concocted a green salad. That done we readied green beans/cherry tomatoes in frying pan and put water on to boil for polenta. Chicken took about 45 minutes to bake and we co-ordinated timing of other two dishes so they were both ready when fowl came out of the oven. Just before we sat down to eat I opened the Aljibes and everyone applauded the choice: deep cherry colour with ripe fruit on the nose, dusty yet spicy, lengthy finish. We toasted one another and enjoyed a delicious meal with wonderful friends, terrific traveling companions.

Flamin' and Sarge and Molly left shortly after 9:00pm and I cleaned up while Cora Lee and Chloë watched an episode of Revenge. Then to bed and but a few pages of Turn of Mind, Alice LaPlante's quite remarkable first novel about Dr. Jennifer White, suffering from dementia, the prime suspect in the death of her best friend, as ride over the frozen tundra finally took its toll. I drifted off imagining my hands clasped around a hefty splash of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte PC7, 61%. However, rather than sipping the Sin An Doigh Ileach, I would dip one finger after another into the warming nectar and lick it, slowly, off my fingertips! Sláinte!!!

I trust all the medical difficulties will be resolved for the best and to everyone's relief. I gaze upon the colourful Yorkshire calendar with each message I compose and dream of the good life on the dales! Fondestos and Cheers to you and Christine, Patrizzio!




No comments:

Post a Comment