Saturday 14 January 2012

IIDD, Jan 15th

Language is not an abstract construction of the learned, or of dictionary makers, but is something arising out of the work, needs, ties, joys, affections, tastes, of long generations of humanity, and has its bases broad and low, close to the ground. -Noah Webster, lexicographer (1758-1843) 

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you all know that today I mailed off our cask order form and the purchase price of $ 5,000 to the Shelter Point Distillery. Attached is a registry of the cask shareholders and I ask that you please review your information and let me know of any inaccuracies.

I also spoke to Pat Evans at the Distillery this afternoon who thanked us very much for our order and support. He indicated they have produced over 200 barrels to date. He confirmed he will send me a receipted invoice and Certificate of Cask Ownership for our purchase. He told me that our cask was distilled within the past two months and that it is now aging in a first fill Jack Daniel barrel. They will soon affix a brass plate on our Cask indicating the "South Okanagan Cask Ownership Group" name. If any of you happen to visit Campbell River and wish to visit the Distillery please contact them ahead of time and they will try to accommodate you.

I will keep you posted on all news I receive from the Distillery and of course anything regarding the progress of our cask. They have Mike Nicolson on retainer and he will continue to provide them with his distilling expertise & advice in the years ahead. 

A number of you have commented on your preference to have our cask bottled at cask strength when it matures in five years time as this will allow you to decide when and to what degree you wish to add water. Bottling at cask strength is easier for the Distillery as well.  While we don't have to advise them of our decision right now, I'd like to have some idea of your thinking in this regard. Please advise if you would prefer to bottle it at cask strength (e.g.58%) or at a reduced strength ( e.g. 46%).

If you have any questions let me know. Slainte! Kevin Ritcey

Ayn P
Ayn P updated her status: "I had the best time!!!! Ate with Valerie Harper to my right and Jane Seymour to my left! Valerie Harper kissed me twice tonight and Jane Seymour is my new BFF!! ....Hallmark gala night of stars at The Tournament of Roses House...so happy!"


Flowers from last night's Hallmark night of stars gala at the Tournament of Roses House...still pretty this morning!

  • The Lives of the Rich and Famous! And you just a little girl from Winnipeg, now in Tinsel Town!!! Congratulations Drama Queen!
    Patrick James Dunn Chloe, are you still watching White Christmas?
    Chloe Alexis Dunn No D, it snowed big time on 30th and Cambie!!!!


    Pat,

        I had a good laugh at that one. We need some decent weather to put the new recommenadtions into practice!

        Hope Corinne's pins came out successfully and she is comfortable at home. If she needs anything, please let us know and I will get the head physio into action.

    Ray




    Hi Ray!

    Not surprisingly, Her Majesty's Royal Foot is actually feeling a tad more uncomfortable since she had the pins removed. Her Royal Irritability Level has gone up a corresponding notch or two, as a direct result, and Her Highness is taking it out on the service staff. Even Maggie's tail is not immune from her evil wheels! A few minutes ago she downed an Extra Strength Tylenol before I tucked her into bed with her book, Winter in Madrid, by C. J. Sansom, and two bean bags, (pre-heated in microwave), one for her neck, the other for her left foot, to keep her warm. Thanks for the offer of physio advice/help. I think I should let The Sisterhood confer directly as I am not allowed to make any suggestions regarding anything, let alone delicate recovery plans!

    Now that Her Majesty is settled for the night, I have a few minutes, free of servitude, to scribe. After Tuesday's ride, I wanted to swim on Wednesday and did just that, managing a slow but steady three miles, so quite pleased with distance, although time, three hours, needs significant improvement. Still, I trust that will happen if I manage to keep a regular schedule up. As I was doing a few calf stretches by the side of the pool I bumped in Matt Garrey. He had strained something in his leg while running so was swimming, with flippers, until he recovered. We had a brief chat in changing room before he had to head off and I made my way home to collect Cora Lee. We had an appointment at the Travel Clinic, Vancouver Coastal Health, on the corner of Ash and Broadway. Just by good luck, found a parking spot right across the street, on Ash, after a car pulled out just after I had helped Cora Lee onto sidewalk, while illegally parked!

    Clinic staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful. I needed shots for Hep A and B, tetanus, polio and diphtheria while Cora Lee required later and a booster for Hep. She had already had first two shots of this course of inocculation as a result of her volunteer work at WISH and First United. We paid, ($90 each), thanked staff and as I was leaving said I would see them in a month for my second hep shot. Dropped Corinne at home and then went to visit my friend Imre.

    Just past the corner of Macdonald/4th I noticed two policemen on motorcycles, heading east and after I went through lights on Bayswater, but a block further along, flashing lights came on and I pulled over, completely blocking one lane as there were parked cars the length of the block. Had no idea what I was being stopped for as I certainly wasn't speeding and had not run any lights. When officer came to window it turned out to be a woman and I knew The Sisterhood was involved somehow! She informed me that my bike rack would prevent any infra-red cameras from taking a picture of my rear license plate and asked me for my driver's license. I asked her if she was going to give me a ticket and she said she was and left to return to her chopper to write me up.

    All sorts of questions were popping up in my mind and by the time she returned I had decided I'd ask a few of them, trying to keep my frustration and annoyance under control. Before I had a chance to say anything, once she appeared at my window, she asked me to sign the ticket, (She specifically said that it was not an admission that I had committed an offense but merely a confirmation that she had issued the ticket so I decided I'd sign and see what she had to say.), and after I did so she would explain how I could contest it. All in all she was very polite and even joked that she was freezing on her bike while I was wearing shorts. I knew part of this was a way to jolly me a bit after being stopped in the first place and I also knew I wasn't going to get anywhere by being difficult. Nevertheless, I was a bit taken aback when I saw that the fine was for $196!

    She probably saw he shock on my face and quickly outlined the fact that if I arranged a court date, (details on back of ticket), within next six months and presented a picture of vehicle without the bike rack, the ticket would be waived. Relieved as I was that there was an out I was still confused about a number of matters. If I had had a bike on rack would she have stopped me? If this was the case, how does this situation play out with infra-red cameras? Presumably, having a bike or bikes on rack would make it even less likely for the license plate to be captured. Logically this should mean that bike racks should be designed to ensure that the license plate is visible by both the naked eye and/or cameras under all circumstances, rack loaded or not. I didn't want to become embroiled in this debate so took the ticket and made for Jim's place.

    Enjoyed a fairly lengthy, most pleasant visit with him and he was as puzzled as I was about nature of ticket. Following day I phoned Rack Attack, where I bought rack in first place, and they had never heard of such ticketing. This being the case, it seems to me that some jurisdiction or body, ICBC, Ministry of Transportation or VPD, for example, should have issued some sort of notice in the media or perhaps through car registration and insurance renewal alerting those bike rack owners of possible contravention of traffic law. I know that I require car insurance to drive or I face a very stiff penalty. If I had known about visibility issue I would have taken steps to ensure that my license plate could be seen. To me it is beyond ridiculous that I have been driving with this rack since 2007 and all of a sudden I have committed a crime. When did infra-red cameras come into use? Have you ever seen or heard about bicycle racks being the focus of this attention? I have not. I know that ignorance of the law is no defense but how is one to know if the retailers providing such devices are not aware themselves?

    Anyway, I plan to try to follow up over the next few days, starting with a visit to VPD, on bike! For the time being I haven't decided if I'll remove the rack or simply put the old bike I no longer use on it! Cheers, a rather frustrated and grumpy, Il Conduttore!



    Hey Commendatore, we were in your putative neck of the woods today; our friend Sarah Trejo, whom you have met in years gone by,
    threw a surprise birthday party for her boyfriend Matt, who turned 40 (Jealous? me too!)  After we had a lovely breakfast at 8 at the Gardenside Cafe in Santa Rosa, (the party was on Friday night so we booked a room so we wouldn't have to drive home) we set out on our own. This is what I reported to Sarah just now...thought you wouldn't mind some shareware from this end.  Come on down and sample some of the wines we got...
    Sarah-
    What a wonderful time we had up north with you and Matt and all your friends!!! Hope that all your other surprises went well, was thinking of you as halftime rolled around [American football playoffs involving local team, 49ers. note for Canadians]. By then, we were home, yes, we made quick but efficient work of the wine country and there was ZERO TRAFFIC coming home. And what an exciting ending, hope you and Matt got to see it [49ers snatched victory from the jaws of defeat don't ask about the Oakland Raiders-not for Canadians]!!!
    As for our wineries, we went to the Burbank Garden and the Schultz museum [I know, just Peanuts-note for Canadians] and really enjoyed them. Then we headed out Piner Road, and stopped at Battaligni, where we were shuttled over to their traditional tasting room, filled with posters of Lucca, and sipped Zin and after Zin! much fun and walked away buzzed with two bottles. We again broke the Wine Weekend [some sort of group event which we never fully understood] barrier at Benovia, which was FABULOUS, we met the winemaker and the owner and half the family, their pinots were great, everything was so much fun, and we broke the bank and bought. We came down to earth afterward at Hook and Ladder, relatively crowded, but also with prices more in line with what we should be paying rather than what we would like to. Had a great fellow helping us at the bar, and took home a six-pack, now minus one as I sip the Gewurz I cracked open as I slid the chicken I bought on the way home into the oven. A simple but utterly devastating dinner, now on to the Patriots and later the basketball Bears[more professional football and then our UC Berkeley basketball team-note for Canadians]. WITH the sound down and sweet jazz rolling through the house. That is the report of the Berkloids. Come on down soon and we'll crack open some of these bottles. I know, with the dog you have less freedom, but come on down and spent the night and let's have a ball again together !!! love you and Matt so much!! [Both of these last two wishes also apply to Canadians, even those hobbled by foot surgery.]
    David and Nancy (who has read and approved this message [joke referring to political ads in disgusting American political realm-note for lucky Canadians]!)

    --
    "Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est."



    Hi Cactus!

    Enjoyed your "Field Report" and sports commentary, nothing lost in translation for Canucks!!! I believe we met Sarah around the time she was involved with some race near Donner Lake. Is that correct? Different boyfriend now? Sounds as if you have discovered some wineries new to us. Good work Sherlock!!! As soon as I collect the Royal Foot from church this morning, we'll make for I-5. Should be knocking on your door by the time you are home from work on Monday! Cheers, Il Conduttore!



    Hi Pat and Corinne;

    Corinne is coming on Monday if that is still OK.

    See you at 6 pm. Best Wishes, bob



    Hi Bob!

    Delighted Corinne will be joining us! perhaps Jane will change her work schedule and Jan will fly out from Calgary and we'll be four matched couples! Cheers! Again, very pleased, that Corinne will be along. See you domani. Patrizzio!



    Ruth Chang wants to be friends with you on Facebook.




    Hi Ruth!

    Trust everyone is well! Jim Hillson is coming to town tomorrow to stay with us for a couple of nights. He will attend a conference in Victoria later in the week. Have to pick Cora Lee up from Trinity shortly, (Her Royal Majesty just called and asked me to leave Harbour Terrace in 10 minutes to bring The Royal Coach to the steps of the church), so will say goodbye for now. Fondestos and Cheers to you and Randy, Patrizzio!




    Hi Patrick,
    I`m glad to hear that your biking exploits are keeping you well occupied. Sorry to hear that Corinne is still struggling with her recovery from surgery.  I trust she is going to be in decent shape for your upcoming Aussie trip.
    As for Lynnie and me, we`ve been pretty much in hibernation since Christmas.  I realized to my horror that my weight had been steadily climbing over the past six months.  Just before Christmas I bought a treadmill which is now set up in the garage.  Of course the treadmill is so boring that I also added a TV in the garage, and then this week a pair of wireless headphones so the TV sound will be much clearer over the sound of my feet pounding the treadmill.  I also set up my Total Gym in the currently unoccupied guest room to do strength workouts.  Have also started six weeks of golf fitness classes at the Lakeside Fitness Centre.  These are really good  workouts, focussed on core strength and flexibility, led by one of the assistant pros from the Penticton Golf Club.  Of course along with my fitness regime we`re trying to be a bit abstemious so the wine and whisky consumption are down.
     
    I`ve also been busy with finishing off a report for a review assignment for which I made a site visit to Chile in December.  I got that off my desk on Friday so have a week of near freedom coming up.  Unfortunately it`s not going to last long, as I have a Denver-Vancouver swing the week after next for meetings, and it sounds like another Chile trip may be upcoming right after that.  I`m not complaining of course, the business travel tops up the leisure travel funds so it keeps Lynnie happy.  We`re looking forward to our two weeks in San Miguel de Allende, Feb 26 through Mar 12, then our Eastern European trip with friends Barb and Fred May 21 through June 13.  I`m also looking forward to getting at the grape pruning, which will be a solid week of work that has to be done before we head off to Mexico, so hopefully we`ll get some good weather in February.
    I started on the next chapter of my Naramata community work this week.  There was a vacant seat on the Naramata Water Advisory Committee, which would normally be filled by recruiting a volunteer.  This time, there were three people who came forward, so it was necessary to hold an election at the AGM.  I got my NCA power base out to support me and made the best of my allotted 3 minute speaking time to pull off the win.  It should be an interesting committee as there are some important planning issues to deal with over the next few years.
    Birgitta has found a new bridge partner for me.  We played last week and did quite well, and are going to play again this coming week.  I hope she`ll be patient with my frequent absences.
    Cheers for now and best wishes to Corinne for swift healing.
    Cheers, Peter






    Hi Treadmill Jugos Dom Pedro!

    I'm glad to hear that you are using your treadmill to squeeze naranjas! You sound as busy as ever with your upcoming travel, both work and recreational, your core training, not to mention your latest Water Ad Com appointment!

    You might recall that we spent a little less than a week in San Miguel de Allende last March, roughly same time period that you will be there. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. Not sure if you have been there already, but if not, loads to see and do, as I'm sure you are well aware. I believe Cora Lee would recommend a day trip to see some of local "mansions". Various markets and stores filled with local crafts are delightful to wander, of course. Not to be missed is Calzada de la Aurora, the former fabric factory, now given over to artists' studios, galleries and boutiques. Items for sale include jewelry, contemporary art, furniture and fabrics. There is also a cafe, bar and restaurant. Fascinating example of industrial architecture, some machinery still in situ, and interesting old photos in main corridor. Can't quite remember but I think the studios are open during the day on Thursdays and there are regular gallery openings so inquire, for details at, among other places, La Biblioteca de San Miguel de Allende, a terrific non profit organization that receives no government funding and relies on the generous gifts of time and money donated by members of the community. Believe Coriandre booked her house tour there.

    Plenty of restaurants so you can simply follow your noses but we enjoyed a great dinner at a recently opened Argentinian spot, Garufa,(http://www.garufa.com.mx/index2.html). One morning we had fun watching a number of Indian bands, in extremely colourful costumes, plummage etc., dancing off town square, the beat of their drums almost deafening after a few minutes. The noise forced us to find a quiet, delightful restaurant, The Bagel Place, quite Mexican in spite of its name, a few streets away, where we had a delicious breakfast. Last evening there we joined friends Heraldo and Sue Teaghan, (Colleen's, [of Colleen and Al] Mom and Dad, there for two months or so), on the rooftop patio of Restaurant Mama Mia to sip Margaritas and watch the glorious sunset. Downstairs for dinner to listen to some very good jazz as we ate. Gerry plays keyboard and was asked to play a few sets as was another friend, Dave, also from Vancouver, on double bass! You may well know all this but just in case thought I'd offer a few tips.

    Not surprisingly, Her Majesty's Royal Foot is actually feeling a tad more uncomfortable since she had the pins removed last Friday. Her Royal Irritability Level has gone up a corresponding notch or two, as a direct result, and Her Highness is taking it out, in spades, on the harried service staff. Even Maggie's tail is not immune from her evil wheels! A few nights ago she downed an Extra Strength Tylenol before I tucked her into bed with her book, Winter in Madrid, by C. J. Sansom, and two bean bags, (pre-heated in microwave), one for her neck, the other for her left foot, to keep her warm.

    Once Her Majesty was settled for the night, I had a few minutes, free of servitude, to scribe, to catch up on my journal entries. After last Tuesday's ride/fiasco, I wanted to swim on Wednesday and did just that, managing a slow but steady three miles, so quite pleased with distance, although time, three hours, needs significant improvement. Still, I trust that will happen if I manage to keep a regular schedule up. As I was doing a few calf stretches by the side of the pool I bumped into Matt Garrey, my former squash doubles partner. He had strained something in his leg while running so was swimming, with flippers, until he recovered. We had a brief chat in changing room before he had to head off and I made my way home to collect Cora Lee. We had an appointment at the Travel Clinic, Vancouver Coastal Health, on the corner of Ash and Broadway. Just by good luck, found a parking spot right across the street, on Ash, after a car pulled out just after I had helped Cora Lee onto sidewalk, while illegally parked!

    Clinic staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful. I needed shots for Hep A and B, tetanus, polio and diphtheria while Cora Lee required later and a booster for Hep. She had already had first two shots of this course of inoculation as a result of her volunteer work at WISH and First United. We paid, ($90 each), thanked staff and as I was leaving said I would see them in a month for my second hep shot. Dropped Corinne at home and then went to visit Imre.

    Just past the corner of Macdonald/4th I noticed two policemen on motorcycles, heading east and after I went through lights on Bayswater, but a block further along, flashing lights came on and I pulled over, completely blocking one lane as there were parked cars the length of the block. Had no idea what I was being stopped for as I certainly wasn't speeding and had not run any lights. When officer came to window it turned out to be a woman and I knew The Sisterhood was involved somehow! She informed me that my bike rack would prevent any infra-red cameras from taking a picture of my rear license plate and asked me for my driver's license. I asked her if she was going to give me a ticket and she said she was and left to return to her chopper to write me up.

    All sorts of questions were popping up in my mind and by the time she returned I had decided I'd ask a few of them, trying to keep my frustration and annoyance under control. Before I had a chance to say anything, once she appeared at my window, she asked me to sign the ticket, (She specifically said that it was not an admission that I had committed an offense but merely a confirmation that she had issued the ticket so I decided I'd sign and see what she had to say.), and after I did so she would explain how I could contest it. All in all she was very polite and even joked that she was freezing on her bike while I was wearing shorts. I knew part of this was a way to jolly me a bit after being stopped in the first place and I also knew I wasn't going to get anywhere by being difficult. Nevertheless, I was a bit taken aback when I saw that the fine was for $196!

    She probably saw he shock on my face and quickly outlined the fact that if I arranged a court date, (details on back of ticket), within next six months and presented a picture of vehicle without the bike rack, the ticket would be waived. Relieved as I was that there was an out I was still confused about a number of matters. If I had had a bike on rack would she have stopped me? If this was the case, how does this situation play out with infra-red cameras? Presumably, having a bike or bikes on rack would make it even less likely for the license plate to be captured. Logically this should mean that bike racks should be designed to ensure that the license plate is visible by both the naked eye and/or cameras under all circumstances, rack loaded or not. I didn't want to become embroiled in this debate so took the ticket and made for Jim's place.

    Enjoyed a fairly lengthy, most pleasant visit with him, (He is doing very well, considering!), and he was as puzzled as I was about nature of ticket. Following day I phoned Rack Attack, where I bought rack in first place, and they had never heard of such ticketing. This being the case, it seems to me that some jurisdiction or body, ICBC, Ministry of Transportation or VPD, for example, should have issued some sort of notice in the media or perhaps through car registration and insurance renewal alerting those bike rack owners of possible contravention of traffic law. I know that I require car insurance to drive or I face a very stiff penalty. If I had known about visibility issue I would have taken steps to ensure that my license plate could be seen. To me it is beyond ridiculous that I have been driving with this rack since 2007 and all of a sudden I have committed a crime. When did infra-red cameras come into use? Have you ever seen or heard about bicycle racks being the focus of this attention? I have not. I know that ignorance of the law is no defense but how is one to know if the retailers providing such devices are not aware themselves? Anyway, I plan to try to follow up over the next few days, starting with a visit to VPD, on bike! For the time being I haven't decided if I'll remove the rack or simply put the old bike I no longer use on it!

    This past Monday, Zircon, friend from Calgary, flew into town for a few nights. He plays bridge so we have had a number of games since he arrived. The Sisterhood are off to the movies tonight so will have a table with Clarisse/Dusty and Sarge. One of us will sit out every few hands or so, over course of evening. Probably Dusty as he will want to keep at this painting. Glad you have a new duplicate partner.

    Time to sign off as Zircon and I are of to see The Artist at Fifth Avenue. Cheers, Patrizio!





     

     Greetings from Bora Bora
    2 more small leopard rays swam under our Bora bungalow-literally thousands of fish here in various lagoons that are very swimmable plus a great pool, steam, jacuzzi etc An amazing resort! Will send postcards soon! Cheers to all!! G







    Hi Leopard Ray People!

    I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the Bora Bora resort. Are there any relics from World War II, Pacific Theatre? I seem to remember that the US had a military supply base there after Pearl Harbour.
     



    This past Monday, Zircon, flew into town for a few nights. He plays bridge so we have had a number of games since he arrived. The Sisterhood, (Flamin', Joanne, neighbour from upstairs, CL), were off to see The Artist at Fifth Avenue last night, (Zircon and I saw it yesterday afternoon. A simply delightful, humourous and moving film. Quite an hommage to silent films but with wonderful twists as well.), so we had a table with Clarisse/Dusty and Sarge. Rosie played first and then read by fireplace when Dusty took over. Pretty even play although Sarge and Zircon had more good cards over the course of the evening.

    Took Zircon to Cambie and Broadway at 9:30am this morning to catch bus for ferry. He will fly back from Victoria on Monday after his church conference is over. Have to assist Her Highness with her ablutions shortly so will say goodbye for now. Cheers, Patrizzio!






    Pics: contemplating the last pecan tart; Kjell, (Swedish friend), Corinne, (Bob's amore), Bob; Her Regalness!



    Glad you didn't poke her eyes out; being thrust into the Gulag is always cause for potential mayhem.  Unbelievable.  Glad to know you have an easy avenue to avoid fine, but surely bike community will have to take this up unless your bike-rack design was quite anomalous.  Back to my CHARdonnay and football! Cactus



    GLAD to hear you were in the water. Didn't realize you were able to swim again. Don't worry about the speed, just check out the pretty Belgian chemists! Cts.




    Hi Cactus and Floridian!

    Saddened to learn that Gustav Leonhardt, the harpsichordist and conductor, had died. While I cannot say I knew his work, other than hearing it at your place, at some point, I assume, I know his music meant much to you both.

    This past Monday, Zircon, friend from Calgary, flew into town for a few nights. That evening we had a dinner party to include mutual close friend, Bob Altwein. His amore, Corinne, was also along and since we'd never met her we were delighted to do so. In addition, Kjell, Swedish friend we stayed with when in Stockholm, in August 2011, joined us. Lovely evening from delicious food, (Clarisse did two roasted chickens and a scrumptious vegetable ragout, I, halved nugget potatoes on skewers, boiled first and then coated in Dijon mustard/olive oil/coarse salt/pepper/oregano and then broiled, and for dessert, Rosie's pecan tarts!), to plenty of hootch, in particular three Okanagan beuts: a Calliope 2010 Riesling, 13%, peach and lime, with a delicate mineral backbone, finishing with a refreshing tang; a Stag's Hollow 2010 Viognier, 13%, lush tropical fruit, nicely balanced by just the right amount of acidity to provide a pleasingly tart finish; Sandhill 2009 Cabernet Franc, 14%, smoky cedar and blackberries, young tannins with complimentary acidity. Aquavit, courtesy of Kjell, to complete the feast!

    Zircon plays bridge so we have had a number of games since he arrived. The Sisterhood, (Flamin', Joanne, neighbour from upstairs, CL), were off to see The Artist at Fifth Avenue last night, (Zircon and I saw it yesterday afternoon. A simply delightful, humourous and moving film. Quite an hommage to silent films but with wonderful twists as well. A MUST!), so we had a table with Clarisse/Dusty and Sarge, after dinner featuring a knockout Coriandre dish: polenta smothered in a mushroom/prosciutto,balsamic reduction, and green saladin by Scullion Rizzo. Started with an Ironstone Obsession, (of all things!), 2010 Symphony, (courtesy of Zircon), 12.5%, hybrid, in 1948, in Claionia, a cross between Muscat of ALexandria dn Grenache Gris. Have never heard of latter. Nonetheless, thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyable without any cloying sweetns as I imagined it might have, seeing Muscat on back label. Then a Cedar Creek 2010 Ehrenfelser, 13.4%, (courtesy of Bob from evening before and unopened then.), a fruit bomb, apricots predominating, with high acidity to perfectly offset the residual sugar. Most impressive and I must re-evaluate my opinion of Cedar Creek. Opened a Fox Creek 2004 Reserve Shiraz, 14.5%, Fox Creek 2004 Reserve Shiraz, the Hyatt/ Advertiser South Australian Wine of the Year, summer 2006. Grogg and I each bought three bottles when at the winery in Mclaren Vale in 2006: extraordinary range of flavours with blackberry, blackcurrant, liquorice and dark chocolate lasting forever! Shiraz as it should be!!!

    Rosie played first and then read by fireplace when Dusty took over. Pretty even play although Sarge and Zircon had more good cards over the course of the evening. After bridge players decamped, I poured tumblers of The Coopers Choice Knockdhu, distilled in 1998, 46%, Speyside, (herbs and cloves and citrus, yet a touch of sweetness.), for Her Majesty,and Zircon and we sipped and chatted and discussed many of the world's pressing problems, solving few, if any, before it was time for bed!

    Took Zircon to Cambie and Broadway at 9:30am to catch bus for ferry. He will fly back from Victoria  on Monday after his church conference is over. Have to assist Her Highness with her ablutions shortly so will say goodbye for now. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

    Pics: Hot Water Bottle Maggie; contemplating the last pecan tart; Kjell, (Swedish friend), Corinne, (Bob's amore), Bob; Her Regalness!



    Patrick, happy new year!,
    plan to drive tonight (no courage to cycle :) - will be ok to call you
    for the spot in the garage? thank you M
     



    Hi Patrick,

    I am so sorry for the late minute email, but something has come up and I will not be able to make it tonight.  Please accept my apologies. Cheers, ..Dave



    The New-Look Navy
    aka Brittania Waives the Rules
    The Royal Navy is proud of its new fleet of Type 45 destroyers. The first two ships were launched as HMS Daring and HMS Dauntless, but the Admiralty Naming Committee, after intensive pressure from Brussels, has renamed them HMS Cautious and HMS Prudence.
    The next five ships are to be named HMS Empathy, HMS Circumspect, HMS Nervous, HMS Timorous and HMS Apologist.

    Costing £850 million each, they meet the needs of the 21st century and comply with the very latest employment, equality, health & safety and human rights laws.

    The new user-friendly crow's nest comes equipped with wheelchair access. Live ammunition has been replaced with paint balls to reduce the risk of anyone getting hurt and to cut down on the number of compensation claims. Stress counsellors and lawyers will be on duty 24hrs a day and each ship will have its on-board industrial tribunal.

    The crew will be 50/50 men and women, and balanced in accordance with the latest Home Office directives on race, gender, sexuality and disability. Sailors will only have to work a maximum of 37hrs per week in line with Brussels Health & Safety rules, even in wartime! All the vessels will come equipped with a maternity ward and nursery, situated on the same deck as the Gay Disco.

    Tobacco will be banned throughout the ship, but cannabis will be allowed in the wardroom and messes. The Royal Navy is eager to shed its traditional reputation for; "Rum, sodomy and the lash"; so out has gone the occasional rum ration which is to be replaced by sparkling water. Although sodomy remains, it has now been extended to include all ratings under 18. The lash will still be available but only on request. Condoms can be obtained from the Bosun in a variety of flavours, except Capstan Full Strength.

    Saluting officers has been abolished because it is deemed elitist and is to be replaced by the more informal, "Hello Sailor". All information on notices boards will be printed in 37 different languages and Braille. Crew members will now no longer be required to ask permission to grow beards or moustaches - this applies equally to women crew members.

    The MoD is working on a new "non-specific" flag because the White Ensign is considered to be offensive to minorities. The Union Flag had already been discarded.

    The newly re-named HMS Cautious is due to be commissioned soon in a ceremony conducted by Captain Hook from the Finsbury Park Mosque who will break a petrol bomb over the hull. She will gently slide into the water as the Royal Marines Band plays "In the Navy" by the Village People. Her first deployment will be to escort boat loads of illegal immigrants across the channel to ports on England's south coast.

    The Prime Minister said, "While these ships reflect the very latest in modern thinking, they are also capable of being up-graded to comply with any new legislation coming out of Brussels."

    His final words were, "Britannia waives the rules!"
     





No comments:

Post a Comment