Monday 2 January 2012

IIDD, Sunday, Jan 1st, 2012! New Year's Day!!!


  

later 2011, here's to a new and improved 2012

Partying with the greatest!! Bring on 2012!! Happy New Year everyone!!
                                                   


2011 was a great year, here's to an even better 2012!! Happy new years everyone!!

Healthy New Year to you Angelo and your wonderful parents, Bella Bellissima and Amazing Alberto, as well as their sometime mini-polar bear, Jacob Two-Two and the Hooded Fang! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
New Year's resolution...read more books!
Patrick James Dunn Spoken like a true Librarian's daughter!


Dear Westcoasters,

We hope you had a blessed Christmas celebration and were able to gather somewhere between LA and Vancouver!
Thanks again for your good wishes to the newlyweds!

We had spent a nice Chrsitmas Eve at the Rothenbühler's home in Ittigen, although those of us who were on call during the day dosed off shortly after gift unwrapping.

Below the view of the doctors office at the best located hospital in Bern ;-)

With warmest regards, Sabine and Simon





Dear Corinne Pat Chloe and families

Happy New Year ! Our best wishes for good luck, health and happiness to all of you !

We trust you are all well and we know you are actually celebrating at a nice party 2012.

Sorry for the long silence, thank you for the interesting mails about your plans 2012.
Our best news besides Simons wedding is that Eveline is back in her atelier and is painting again after a long and painful recovery.
More soon, with love from all of us, Heinz


Hello Cruel Swiss!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012! Sorry that I've not been in touch a bit sooner. Not quite sure where all of the time has gone and the new year has only just begun!

We hosted a lovely gathering on 1st although Robo Ray was more than miffed about the Christmas Cake he had given me for my birthday. I had taken to annointing it with liberal dousings of spiced rum over the weeks prior to festivities and set it out for dessert at the Open House. With each helping,(He kept going back for more!), he would whine about how much better it was than the ones at home! Reminded him about the time I popped by one afternoon, before Christmas, and he took me into their kitchen to show me how to drizzle brandy over cake. He used a teaspoon and doled out liquid from a mickey. I played dumb as I hadn't the heart to tell him that I simply poured rum straight from the bottle, probably a little less than a third of his bottle, at one time! Must admit, it really is a wonderful cake. Told Raymundo to use less flour next time!!!

Started of the New Year regimen with a two mile swim at the Aquatic Center on Monday. Shoulder felt pretty good so quite exhilarated to be back, "surging" through the water. More like "plowing" than "surging" but still felt wonderful. In spite of reasonably inclement weather, over last week, I have managed a few wonderful rides. On Tuesday, I decided that I would do an up-and-over. If I'm remembering correctly, forecast was for rain but day turned out to be dry with not too, too much wind. I went as far as Argyle, in West Van, just before steepish hill that leads to Dundarave. Had 22K on my odometer by time I turned around. Since I wanted to log 50K by finish, I had decided I'd do another loop of park once I was back at the playground near Second Beach. Did just that and pulled into the Heartbreak Terrace with 51.33K to show for my efforts. Rather pleased as this was the longest ride I'd managed since before Christmas!

Wednesday I was on Footman's duty with Her Majesty so only exercise I managed was lifting her contraption in and out of car! On Thursday, however, I wanted to hit pool again so decided I'd go for a shorter ride beforehand. Turned right at Seawall junction to head to downtown and followed bike route all the way to Canada Place. One needs to make a slight detour to avoid stairs leading to Convention Center, beside Seaplane Terminal, but an easy one as bicycle accessible ramps allowed me to keep my feet on the pedals! A major concern, as you well know, Dear Reader! Must say that ride along Canada Place deck is quite picturesque, providing a simply glorious view of North Shore and the mountains, together with terrific panorama of harbour and container cranes, etc. About 4K from turnoff, (11K to that point), so I dipsy-doodled a bit heading back to Aquatic Centre to have 24K on odometre, in anticipation of being able to log final tally, magic number 31.33K, by time I was home. Swim went well and I upped distance to 2.5miles, inching my way towards 3 mile goal as a benchmark. I broke that barrier before the 31st but want to make it my "normal" swim distance. Slow but sure.

Knew forecast held rain to start around noon, yesterday but sky looked promising so I delayed my start until about 10:30am. Discovered that it was much, much cooler than I thought when I headed out, fighting a fairly stiff wind. Thought that temperature would mean that rain would hold off so didn't mind the buffeting. Once I rounded Science World only had the occasional strong gust. Have given up trying to figure out wind direction but I think it was a southeasterly or an eastsoutherly! At any rate, I returned to Canada Place and then over Lions Gate, fighting a reasonably strong cross wind and the beginnings of rain. By the time I had circled under bridge it was coming down fairly steadily and my riding shorts and designer long underwear were soaked. Thighs were not uncomfortable but my feet were blocks of ice, (Where are Robo Ray's Cpsyco-Socks when you really need them?), and my hands were turning into icicles in spite of my attempts to warm them through repeated clenching while grimacing!

Since I was already wet I decided to push on, going all the way to Travers and Marine Drive. A few blocks before that another foolhardy rider passed me and commented on how wet the day had turned out to be. I agreed, wholeheartedly, but didn't realize what was in store until I started the return journey. Now I was heading into the wind, (No surprise there, shades of Stink Island Revisited!), and the rain was pelting down. At times, I just wanted to curl up by the side of the road and expire, cursing myself for not limiting the ride to an up-an-over! Nevertheless, I pushed on, dreaming of a steaming latte and Robo Ray's cake, and made it to the bridge deck with almost 40K on the trusty odometre.

Rain abated, somewhat, on ascent and long haul warmed my frozen extremities, somewhat. My core was quite comfortable but my hands and feet felt like they'd been injected with Novocaine, ironically, however, maddeningly numb yet naggingly painful, at one and the same time!! Finally made it to Prospect Point, the coffee shop luring me with its steamed windows and promises of piping hot bowls of soup and frothy cappuccinos, but I clenched my frozen lips and headed downhill. Back into the wind for the interminable descent, the hyper chilled air raking me with absolute zero fingers!

Originally, after the SP/LG/WV circuit, I intended to make for West Broadway and Young Brothers to buy some vegetables needed for the weekend meals. I planned to clock 61K by the time I stepped onto the sidewalk there but by the time I was out of the park and heading for Science World I knew that I would be hard pressed to ride to Kitsilano. I had ridden 45K by the time I was 10K from Harbour Terrace, (viaduct/playground near Second Beach), so I knew I only had 6K worth of dipsy-doodling to reach my target distance. Rain had stopped by the time I was at Science World but so had the circulation in my fingers and thumbs. Sn even poked its head out although I felt no warmth from its anaemic presence. Nevertheless, I battled on, cursing the turtle slowness with which the distance display ticked over, babbling to myself, (drawing anxious, wary looks from passersby), to keep going before hypothermia finally set in.

Chilled, literally to the bone, I wheeled into our parkade, exulting in the hard won 61.33K. My thrilling flush of victory was sort lived, however, as I literally could not press the button on the clicker to open the garage door. I felt a bit like Jon Krakauer near the top of Everest struggling with his oxygen valve. Finally managed, using a finger knuckle, to depress button and I was home at last! Nevertheless, I knew I couldn't deal with locking my bike or unhitching my panniers so simply left my trusty steed unchained and made for the warmth of the hallway. With lobster claws I opened doors and stumbled into The Island Inn, walking like a man with no toes. Her Majesty was dozing, reclining on the couch so, after taking my sodden sneakers outside, I caressed her exposed throat with my antarctic digits and she screamed so loudly that Maggie achieved vertical liftoff from where she had been sleeping peacefully on the Royal Tummy! Share the pain of your loyal minions 'yer Ladyship!!!

Few minutes after my feet and hands had started to un-thaw, Stefano came by to deliver the gloves and toque he had borrowed earlier in their stay. I offered him a cup of freshly brewed java and we caught up on their recent junket to Edmonton as well as making more plans for our visit with them in March, in Mornington, as well as Hunter Valley, in April. He paid final obeisance to Cora Lee Regina and I dropped him off the Main Street SkyTrain Station to make his own way back to Burnaby, South Slope. Sorry to see them return to Oz, of course, but glad that we will see both Kathleen and Mandolin Man in a little more than two months.

I proceeded to Costco to pick up list the Royal Cook had prepared and then a quick stop at Marquis for two bottles of el Grano, Chile, 13%, 2010 Sauvignon Blanc, one of their WOW, (Wines of the Weekend), offerings. Then to Capers on 4th to purchase rice crumbs for Her Majesty's gluten free diet. After that, popped into Kissilano Wines for a couple of bottles of Aljibes, Spain, 2005 Red, (35% Cabbage, 35% Merlot, 30% Cab Franc, 13.5%), and then raced home. Found The Sutherland Freeloaders already ensconced, pounding a Church & State 2009 Pinot Gris, spicy, with hints of lychee and a fresh, crisp finish, munching on Cambozola and rice crackers, checking out flights, car rentals and accommodation in OZ for coming trip.

Once I unloaded groceries, Her Highness put Sarge to work on dinner, preparing Rosita's orange chicken thigh dish while I concocted a green salad. That done we readied green beans/cherry tomatoes in frying pan and put water on to boil for polenta. Chicken took about 45 minutes to bake and we co-ordinated timing of other two dishes so they were both ready when fowl came out of the oven. Just before we sat down to eat I opened the Aljibes and everyone applauded the choice: deep cherry colour with ripe fruit on the nose, dusty yet spicy, lengthy finish. We toasted one another and enjoyed a delicious meal with wonderful friends, terrific traveling companions.

Flamin' and Sarge and Molly left shortly after 9:00pm and I cleaned up while Cora Lee and Chloë watched an episode of Revenge. Then to bed and but a few pages of Turn of Mind, Alice LaPlante's quite remarkable first novel about Dr. Jennifer White, suffering from dementia, the prime suspect in the death of her best friend, as ride over the frozen tundra finally took its toll. I drifted off imagining my hands clasped around a hefty splash of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte PC7, 61%. However, rather than sipping the Sin An Doigh Ileach, I would dip one finger after another into the warming nectar and lick it, slowly, off my fingertips! Sláinte!!! Fondestos and Cheers to all our dear, dear Swiss friends, Patrizzio!

Thanks again for a great evening!

Need to get your copy agreement set up with Sun Records ASAP!!

Glad to have the clan replace my Freeloader status.

Look forward to our next visit.

Cheers, Grog & Lurch

Hi Grogg and Lurch!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012! Sorry that I've not been in touch a bit sooner. Not quite sure where all of the time has gone and the new year has only just begun! Thanks again for wonderful evening, wonderful wine, women and song, not to mention the delish appetizer by Lurch!!! Dusty smashed all the plates you left, into the fireplace, after too, too much Charddddddoooooonnaaaaaaay! Apparently, according to investigating officer he was all jacked up on goofballs!!! Still waiting for contract from Sun Records but apparently "the cheque's in the mail!"
Fondestos and Cheers to you both. Enjoy the South Pacifica! Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick,
It's sunny in Santa Monica today. Just beautiful. I haven't heard from Colin yet and I was wondering if there is another way to reach Fiona and Sheila? Sorry to bother you. I guess I waited 35 years so I could be more patient. That should be my New Years resolution! Thea
Hi Thea, The Patient One!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012! Sorry that I've not been in touch a bit sooner. Not quite sure where all of the time has gone and the new year has only just begun!

We hosted a lovely gathering on 1st although cycling friend, Robo Ray, was more than miffed about the Christmas Cake he had given me for my birthday. I had taken to annointing it with liberal dousings of spiced rum over the weeks prior to festivities and set it out for dessert at the Open House. With each helping,(He kept going back for more!), he would whine about how much better it was than the ones at home! Reminded him about the time I popped by one afternoon, before Christmas, and he took me into their kitchen to show me how to drizzle brandy over cake. He used a teaspoon and doled out liquid from a mickey. I played dumb as I hadn't the heart to tell him that I simply poured rum straight from the bottle, probably a little less than a third of his bottle, at one time! Must admit, it really is a wonderful cake. Told Raymundo to use less flour next time!!!

Colin and Gail were over for a goodly part of the afternoon but somehow, in all the bustle, I forgot to mention that you were waiting to hear from him so I do apologize as I know how much renewing contact means to you. I'm sorry that I don't have an email address for either Sheila or Fiona but I will forward your latest message to Colin. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Great catching up!
Thanks for the opportunity to reconnect yesterday! Been a while, indeed. Enjoyed the conversations and libations (especially the wee dram of scotch!!) and delicious food. All the very best for the new year’s adventures, peace, colin and gail

Hi Colin and Gail!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012! Sorry that I've not been in touch a bit sooner. Not quite sure where all of the time has gone and the new year has only just begun! Wonderful to see you both and glad you enjoyed yourselves. In all the bustle, I forgot to mention that Thea is waiting to hear from you:

Hi Patrick,

It's sunny in Santa Monica today. Just beautiful. I haven't heard from Colin yet and I was wondering if there is another way to reach Fiona and Sheila? Sorry to bother you. I guess I waited 35 years so I could be more patient. That should be my New Years resolution! Thea

I gather that renewing contact means much to her.
Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hi Teens and Trevor!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012! Sorry that I've not been in touch a bit sooner. Not quite sure where all of the time has gone and the new year has only just begun!


Yien/Mike/Jessica/Olivia and Joshua were over for dinner on Mondeay last and we had a great visit. Flamin' and Sarge came up as well. Turns out that we will meet them for a few days in Darwin in late April. They are there for a conference. Will spend three days in Kakadu with entire family but we will be there after their outing. They will come for dinner this coming Monday and we hope to grill them for more details about Cairns and Darwin then.

Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Subject:    Thanks for the e-mails this year     

As we progress through to the end of 2011, I want to thank you for your
educational e-mails over the past year. I am totally screwed up now and
have little chance of recovery.

I can no longer open a bathroom door without using a paper towel, nor

let the waitress put lemon slices in my ice water without worrying
about the bacteria on the lemon peel.

I can't sit down on a hotel bedspread because I can only imagine what
has happened on it since it was last washed.

I have trouble shaking hands with someone who has been driving because
the number one pastime while driving alone is picking one's nose.

Eating a little snack sends me on a guilt trip because I can only
imagine how many gallons of trans fats I have consumed over the years.

I can't touch any woman's handbag for fear she has placed it on the
floor of a public toilet.

I MUST SEND MY SPECIAL THANKS for the email about rat poo in the glue
on envelopes because I now have to use a wet sponge with every envelope
that needs sealing.

ALSO, now I have to scrub the top of every can I open for the same
reason.

I can't have a drink in a bar because I fear I'll wake up in a bathtub
full of ice with my kidneys gone.

I can't eat at KFC because their chickens are actually horrible mutant

freaks with no eyes, feet or feathers.

I can't use cancer-causing deodorants even though I smell like a water
buffalo on a hot day.

THANKS TO YOU I have learned that my prayers only get answered if I
forward an e-mail to seven of my friends and make a wish within five
minutes.

BECAUSE OF YOUR CONCERN, I no longer drink Coca Cola because it can
remove toilet stains.

I no longer buy fuel without taking someone along to watch the car, so
a serial killer doesn't crawl in my back seat when I'm filling up.

I no longer use Cling Wrap in the microwave because it causes seven
different types of cancer.

AND THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW I can't boil a cup of water in the
microwave anymore because it will blow up in my face, disfiguring me
for life.

I no longer go to shopping centers because someone will drug me with a
perfume sample and rob me.

And I no longer answer the phone because someone will ask me to dial a

number for which I will get a huge phone bill with calls to Jamaica ,
Uganda , Singapore and Uzbekistan .

If you don't send this e-mail to at least 144,000 people in the next 70
minutes, a large dove with diarrhea will land on your head at 5:00 p.m.
tomorrow afternoon, and the fleas from 120 camels will infest your
back, causing you to grow a hairy hump. I know this will occur because
it actually happened to a friend of my next door neighbor’s ex
mother-in-law's second husband's cousin's best friend's beautician . .

Oh, and by the way.....

A German scientist from Argentina , after a lengthy study, has
discovered that people with insufficient brain activity read their
e-mails with their hand on the mouse.

Don't bother taking it off now, it's too late.

P. S. I now keep my toothbrush in the living room, because I was told
by e-mail that water splashes over 6 ft. out of the toilet.



Hi Jac!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012! Sorry that I've not been in touch a bit sooner. Not quite sure where all of the time has gone and the new year has only just begun!

We spent New Year's Eve here, with Clara and Dusty, Kathleen and Stefano and The Millionaires, off next day on an extended cruise of the South Pacific! We were all invited downstairs to celebrate with Clan Sutherland BUT all their offspring and their amores were to be there so we knew it would be too, too much for C/D, not to mention Coriandre and I and the Dawes. A few years ago, pre-lottery win, Grog and Lurch went home at 10:30pm when the six couples had booked dinner/dancing for NY's Eve at GIH!

Pleased that Kathleen/Steve could celebrate New Year's Eve with us as it would be one of last times here before we see them in Melbourne in March. (We leave for Hong Kong, for five nights on March 5th, then to Australia until May 11th. Then to Japan until end of May. Flamin' and Sarge will travel with us while we are in Australia.) Steve rented a mandolin before he went to visit Millioniares in Parkesville for a few days before Christmas. Grogg brought one of his guitars so we had our own band. We all went downstairs before dinner to have a drink. I wrote The Freeloader Blues and lads performed it. Quite a hit!

All in all, a very pleasant New Year's Eve. Relatively quiet, compared to that of Clan Sutherland. Assembled company all went dancing at the Granville Island Hotel after their dinner. We ate upstairs with Clara/Dusty, Steve/Kathleen and Kathleen's sister Lorraine, G/L, and another friend of ours, Branko. G/L left at 11:00am, C/D a bit earlier, and Steve lay down just before midnight, so it was only the five of us to ring in 2012! All the best to you and Ben. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Freeloader Blues

Woke up this morning, Moma, got a bad case of Freeloader Blues,
Woke up this morning, got a bad, bad case of them Freeloader Blues!

I used to have whiskey,
And I used to have wine,
Now I got nothin’
Them mean Freeloaders drank all of mine!
Them thirsty, thirsty Freeloaders drank all of mine!

I used to have grub in the fridge,
Meat on the table, coffee in the pot,
Now I got nothin’
Them mean Freeloaders ate all I got!
Them ravenous Freeloaders ate all I got!

I used to have money, cash in the bank,
A roll in my pocket, a stud in my ear,
Now I got nothing, can’t buy a beer!
Here come the landlord, can’t pay the rent.
Them greedy ole’ Freeloaders spent my last cent!
Them greedy ole’ Freeloaders wasted my last cent!

Now I’m down on my luck, down on the row,
No-one to hep me, no-one to care,
Fleas in my jacket, lice in my hair,
Begging for nickels, begging for dimes,
Wonderin’ where went all them good times!
Morale of the story, Mama, if you care to hear,
Morale of the story, Good Folks, is this I fear,
When you see them Freeloaders, don’t let ‘em git near!
When you see them nasty Freeloaders a comin’, don’t let ‘em git near!

Yeah, Woke up this morning, with a bad case of Freeloader Blues,
Woke up this morning, with a bad, bad case of them crazy Freeloader Blues!









No comments:

Post a Comment