Sunday 22 January 2012

IIDD, Jan 22nd

Great – See you Sunday,  Pauline

Hi Pauline!

This is just to confirm that bridge is on for Sunday, January 29th, at 5:00pm! Cheers, Patrizio!

That would have been quite an experience to see the bird up close and so comfortable around the tourists. I have come to realize there's is a vanity about birds' nature!
That was quite the mishap with the bike brakes. Glad you didn't have to witness anything else!
Poor Corinne has really been tested lately. Give her my best wishes.

However my birthday is not on Saturday. LOL


Hi Brenda Louise!

Just popped that line into the text to make sure you were actually reading my messages in their entirety!!!


Hi Brenda Louise!

Just popped that line into the text to make sure you were actually reading my messages in their entirety!!!

Yesterday, in spite of the forecast, turned out to be a magnificent day. Set off for my ride just before noon, hoping to squeak in at least 50K before forecast showers and fairly high winds began. As things turned out, never had to deal with either. Temperature was most comfortable and I whizzed along, the Seawall remarkably deserted given it was a weekend and a very pleasant opportunity for a stroll or a jog. Pleased to find that the sidewalk construction at the foot of Beach and Denman, involving the new Cactus Club on English Bay, was almost finished. Fencing is still up but most of the paving blocks are in place and there is plenty of room for both pedestrians and cyclists, although "official" cycle path is not yet open.

Made my way to Canada Place but was mildly disappointed that the bald eagle I'd seen on last two rides was not perched atop light standard when I rode to end of pier. Perhaps the helicopter which had just landed on the pad just down from the Seabus Terminal had frightened it off. Rewarded, however, as I witnessed two float planes touch down, one after the other, ever so gently, seemingly caressing the mirror smooth surface of Coal Harbour, raising just a whisper of spray from each pontoon, as I rode back down the promenade.

More people on Seawall once I made it past the Rowing Club but still very quiet. Passed a single jogger, coming towards me as I made descent into West Van over Lions Gate. Thought there might be more activity once I neared Ambleside but once again few people about. Same held true for Dundarave Village and it wasn't until I was making my way back from 31st/Travers that I encountered quite a few couples out for an afternoon walk. By then, sky over Point Grey was opening up and blue was eroding the overcast grey.

Took a dipsy-doodle down to ocean on 29th, (Marcus Aurelius and Big Molly had walked down to the water's edge here, on an earlier ride, while I circled!), and was quite surprised to see a coyote taking in the view. Creature didn't seem at all fazed by my presence and remained in place while I turned around in the driveway of a house near bottom of street. Continued my return journey and decided to take a look at the Dundarave Pier as there were but few people near the end. A moment of sheer panic as I was trying to circle around once I'd gone as far as possible. Not much space to effect a very tight turn and for a heart-stopping moment, (It seemed like an eternity of aeons!), I feared I'd have to touch the planking or risk falling over! Fortunately, I was able to steel my nerves and just managed to scrape by a malicious stanchion to make my way towards shore, not having to re-set my odometer but was, by way of divine punishment, I suspect, subjected to numerous, hyper disapproving looks from a number of West Van's haughtiest matrons while still on the sacrosanct pier itself!

Chortling to myself at my near brush with catastrophe and the dagger looks of the Good Burghers of The British Properties and Hollyburn Country Club, I was soon making my way up Lions Gate and enjoyed watching a freighter steam under the bridge as I rode to the crest, another, larger vessel, not far astern, heading in the same direction. Managed to take myself up to 46K on run down hill from Prospect Point but stiff breeze wouldn't let me go any faster.

By the time I was back at Second Beach there was far more activity on the Seawall and I had to use my bell quit often to scatter tourists on bikes or shutterbugs, all stretched across the bike lane, oblivious to everything but themselves or what was in their viewfinders. Still, a very, very pleasant ride although I bemoaned the fact that I'd not brought along my sunglasses as I was literally blinded by the sun when I rounded Siwash Rock! Warmth felt delicious even though I wasn't uncomfortable. Interestingly, path was covered with a fair bit of debris, mostly sand but some ice as well, from the cliff faces before and after Siwash. I suppose the recent snow fall had encrusted them and with the melt, forces of erosion took over. Further along I noticed some fairly large, nasty looking icicles hanging near the top of the cliffs where vegetation and exposed tree roots met the bare rock. Wouldn't like to have been on the wrong end of one of those ice skewers, let me tell you, Dear Reader, so I pedaled furiously until I was out of The Ice Zone, not waiting for some lolly-gagging tourists to snap photos of the stalactites!

By the time I reached Olympic Village, I had logged just over 68K so only needed a 2K "circling" around Stamps Landing/Moberly Road before heading to Olympic Village SkyTrain Station parking lot to cross 2nd at Ash and thence to 8th & Cambie with exactly 71.33K on odometre , Dear Reader! Needed to stop at the BC Liquor Store there to pick up a bottle of Booker's Bourbon for a 60th birthday present for Ragin' as his party was later that evening, at the Spruce Harbour Marina Clubhouse. (Decided to buy a bottle for myself as had not had it before. Friend, Colin Naslund, had mentioned what a great buy it was at our Open House on New Year's Day, so thought I'd act on his suggestion.) Hootch safely stored in my pannier, I made for Harbour Terrace, using the Laurel Overpass, and was back at just after 4:00pm with 73.33K on the clock. Extremely pleased with ride, (However, only 71.33K distance can be entered into official log!), as it was longest I'd done since before city was beset with snow and ice, a little more than a week ago!

Had just missed Whirlygig who had popped by to deliver a present for Ragin' that he wanted me to take to party, as well as a bag of toiletry articles Kerry was donating to WISH. Once I hung up my gear, I put together the Greek salad Ragin' had asked us to contribute and then had a quick shower. Coriandre did a smashing job of wrapping up the presents for the Birthday Boy while I was changing and once I was ready, Dusty very kindly dropped me, (Cora Lee was too, too fearful of hurting her foot to brave ramp to marina as well as circular stairway to lounge, to attend celebration.), off at the marina as I was quite weighed down with both salad, presents and hootch for the meal.

Things were nicely underway by the time I arrived. Ragin' was putting finishing touches to various dishes, (roast potatoes, curried chicken in a rock pot, boneless lamb joint), and Rebecca and Leah, his two daughters, had set out some delicious hors d'oeuvres, (sushi, dips and crackers, etc.). I put the salad in the galley kitchen, the presents where others were stacked and started to make the rounds. Wonderful to see some friends from VRC, (Sharon Brownrigg, Larry Kazdan), I'd not seen in some time, as well as friends I'd met through Branko. Johnny the Snozz and Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater were there too. A few minutes later Sandy and her Mother arrived, along with Rob and Michael, Branko's two sons, and Rob's wife, Tanya. They were in from Fort St John, en route to a holiday in Hawaii and had coordinated that trip with birthday celebration. Riptide and the Sweetheart of Sigma Chi were next to arrive, bringing a wonderful selection of cheese and tangy dips/crackers.

Everyone visited and we had a few toasts to Captain Barnacle and then it was time for dinner. Food was simply scrumptious and didn't last long. I knew that this would probably be the case so was one of first in line! Sandy had baked a fabulous chocolate layer cake and after we had a rousing round of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" and Branko blew out candles, (Only three, one for each twenty years!), everyone had a delicious slice. Robo Ray arrived just in time for a piece and when dessert was finished I helped out with distributing presents and reading cards. Without his reading glasses Ragin' simply could not make out most of the what was printed on the card, let alone what had been written inside! He received a very impressive, massive planer from his four children and enough hootch, from friends, to last for a few days, perhaps a week, at most, given his ability and propensity to consume!!!

Around 9:45pm, Robo Ray was ready to leave so I made the rounds of all the babes, kissing them goodnight, shaking hands with the lads and pouring a final snort of my present to Captain Barnacle, the high octane Bookers Bourbon, 63.7%, to those who could handle it. Thanking and Congratulating Ragin' once more, we made our way down the spiral staircase, one last shouted Arrivederci as we passed out of sight. Walk home, along Seawall, was most congenial. Perfect temperature and not a drop of rain. We chatted about our current reading and were soon home. Ray popped in to say hello to Her Majesty and after a brief chat he said goodnight. Walked him to the steps in front of our building and we made tentative plans to ride as soon as weather cooperated.

Back inside to tidy up kitchen while Her Royal Highness read in front of the fireplace! The Sisterhood, (Robyn came over to keep the invalid company!), had ordered Thai food and the counters were strewn with styrofoam take-out containers, numberless empty wine bottles and smashed glasses! Once order had been restored, I brushed and flossed and then started making ready to tuck Queenie, (Cora Lee was given this nickname in elementary school! How prescient of her classmates!!!), into bed. Bean bags heated, ice-packs arranged, pillows fluffed and I was finally free to pick up Winter in Madrid, C.J. Sansom's compelling tale of Madrid in 1940. What a wonderful way to end such a remarkable, thoroughly enjoyable, full, full day, Dear Reader! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi All,
Just fyi i have a DVD of 'Apo... Now' for the meeting.

Also you may like to check this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U&feature=relmfu

and also couple of my post 'the botany of desire' thoughts...:) are attached. Misha








No comments:

Post a Comment