Wednesday 11 January 2012

IIDD, Jan 11th

Remorse is a violent dyspepsia of the mind. -Ogden Nash, poet (1902-1971) 


The next meeting will be this Sunday, 15th January, 2012. We will await confirmation of availability at The Island Inn.

The book is The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan (Mark)
Milton has chosen Heart of Darkness (Conrad) to follow the Pollan.
Misha and Moe to leg wrestle to choose the next book(s) to follow the Conrad.
Guy may pre-empt the dispute and give us his pick if one of them does not provide a recommendation in a timely fashion.  

 Hi Gents,

Here is my list of suggested books:

1. Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie, Highly reviewed2. Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia by Michael Korda
3. Germinal by Emile Zola
4. Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff4. Truth by Peter Temple
Cheers  Moe
 

Hi Lads!

Have cleared meeting date with The Sisterhood so all is set for The NRBC! Look forward o seeing everyone! Cheers, Il Conduttore!



Hi Patrick,

Great, looking forward to it.  Thank you. ..D


Groovy. See you Sunday.

Regards to the Sisterhood. Guy

 
Hi Patrick


How are you? I've got a bit bad news; I'm going to have to bow out of the esteemed book club. (I've already written George separately to tell him and thank him for having invited me to the club.)


The reason is because I have my own reading list that I want to prioritize. Initially, when I joined the club, I thought I could handle the book club's list plus my own without difficulty. It turns out that I need more time and am not such fast reader. (I move my lips when I read and this is slowing me down!)


I'd still like to come out from time to time, and join you guys for drinks, if that's okay.


Thanks for having me over at your home for the meetings; they were fun meetings.


Let's stay in touch, eh? Milton


Hi Generalissimo!

Very sorry to hear that you have decided to leave NRBC. While I think your reason is rather silly, you must do what you want, obviously. However, it seems to me that if you do wish to increase your reading speed you should simply read more, not less. Like squash, or any other activity, for that matter, the more you do, the more you can do.

Naturally you are always welcome, either at the NRBC or here, at The Island Inn, (We'd still like to have you over to chat about Hong Kong at some point in the next little while, by the way, if you are amenable.), or on any rides you might like to join. Quite frankly, however, once a regular connection is broken, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay in touch, life being what it is.

Nevertheless, Buona Fortuna! Cheers, Il Conduttore!



Hi Patrick

We had a great time in Winnipeg over Christmas and New Years.

The Winnipegers organized hockey games, ice fishing, a Jets game, some curling, along with good food and drinks after every event.

Bob and Sally Lawor were are leaders for the curling. It was good to touch base with everyone.

What I need is the email address and names of the husband (Steve) and wife (Kathleen?????) who came for diner just before we left.

Thanking you in advance. Ted
 


Hi Theodorakis!

Glad Winnipeg turned out well. Thanks again for magificent dinner before you left. We had a wonderful time here over hols as well. You can reach Kathleen Gray and Steve Carthew at:

Kathleen Gray: Kathleen.gray@bigpond.com

Stephen Carthew: Stephen.carthew@bigpond.com

Cheers, Patrzzio!







On January 11, 2012 9:40 AM,  jim brownlee wrote:
--------------------
Patrick,

I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

- jim

Professional Network of Latte Drinkers International? Cheers, Patrizzio!






Dear all


I apologise for any message you will have received associated with LinkedIN.

This is entirely my fault and shows that I am not fit to experiment with new technologies.



I had intended to relay a message on to Laura, my daughter, but instead emailed everyone but her on my email contacts.



Sorry for adding to the rest of the useless messages you may receive.



Perhaps I should now go and have a play with Facebook and Twitter?



Regards Jim



I thought that this little history lesson about our involvement with Cuba, as well as the suggestions made for the future, are important for Americans to know about....

www.nytimes.com
Few gestures would improve American-Cuban relations as much handing over the coveted piece of land that houses the Guantánamo Bay detention camp.


Hi Villa Vicentians!


Trust you are both well. Found the article on Cuba very illuminating. Thanks.


I have managed a number of cycling outings, in spite of the sub-zero temperatures heere, as well as the heavy demands placed upon my shoulders by Her Royal Pain in the Solar Plexus! Her Royal Majesty is still operating under restricted ambulatoriness so her demands are becoming increasingly burdensome, not to mention rather tiresome for all members of the royal household, including the Royal Feline who feels her place in the family hierarchy has been usurped!!!! Cora Lee Regina had her two toe pins removed yesterday and dottore wants her to spend two more weeks on her walker, no weight bearing yet! Since my attentions have been focused on her selfish needs I've barely had time to put fingers to keyboard and must apologize for tardiness of my reply. To make amends, I have included a recap of last Tuesday's ride for your reading pleasure. Fondestos to you and the Lovely, Long-Suffering Donna Florida! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Greetings Patrick,
WOW! Thanks to your support, ForestEthics exceeded our $50,000 year-end goal! We know that for many of you your gift was a stretch, but you've made a great investment. We are already working incredibly hard to turn that contribution into real-world change.

Campaigners Karen, Adam, and Nikki are eager to jump in with both feet to protect wild places like the Sacred Headwaters, the coast of the Great Bear Rainforest, and endangered caribou habitat in the Boreal.

Their job won't be easy. Our opponents are already taking aim and striking back - a sure-fired compliment of our work and its impact. But we know we can count on you to take important action when we need it. Together, we'll be able to save these incredible lands -- something none of us could do alone.

Your support is already helping us take steps toward big change in 2012.  Again -- thank you.
 Todd, Karen, Nikki, Adam, photographer Wade Davis, (Santa) and the rest of the ForestEthics team
 
ForestEthics - because protecting forests is everyone's business
San Francisco | One Haight Street | San Francisco, CA 94102 | 415-863-4563
Bellingham | 1329 N State St., Suite 302 | Bellingham, WA 98225 | 360-734-2951
Vancouver | Suite 350-163 Hastings Street W | Vancouver, BC V6B 1H5 | 604-331-6201



Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the update.  It certainly sounds like you have been busy. 

I don't have a heck of a lot to update you with.  My holidays were fairly quiet.  I stayed closed to home and went out to Cloverdale to have Christmas dinner with my cousin and her family.  It was nice to see them again and I didn't have to worry about cooking a turkey or anything like that.  And any time I don't have to cook dinner for myself, I think it's a good night!

I have not been doing any riding since the winter weather hit.  I'm am much more of a fair weather rider, although I don't mind running in the rain.  I've been trying to get out and trail run but it is proving harder than I would have thought.  It seems like there is always something else popping up.  Oh well.  Provided I can get out at least a couple times a week I'm happy.

Thanks again for volunteering to go down and sign me up for the singles book night on Monday the 16th.  I think I have to bring a book with me, so if when you're signing up you need to put down a book, you can use The Swerve:  How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt.

Hope you're having a great day Patrick.  I will see you on Sunday.

Cheers,..Dave



Hi Dave!

Sorry I've not replied a tad sooner. No excuses but plenty of reasons! Her Royal Majesty is still operating under restricted ambulatoriness so her demands are becoming increasingly burdensome, not to mention rather tiresome for all members of the royal household, including the Royal Feline who feels her place in the family hierarchy has been usurped!!!! Cora Lee Regina had her two toe pins removed yesterday and dottore wants her to spend two more weeks on her walker, no weight bearing yet!

PS: Have included a recap of last Tuesday's ride for your reading pleasure, since you mentioned you haven't ridden in some time! As well, have appended book title to information sheet you provided for VPL sign-up. See you domani! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Dear all

I apologise for any message you will have received associated with LinkedIN.

This is entirely my fault and shows that I am not fit to experiment with new technologies.



I had intended to relay a message on to Laura, my daughter, but instead emailed everyone but her on my email contacts.



Sorry for adding to the rest of the useless messages you may receive.


Perhaps I should now go and have a play with Facebook and Twitter?

Regards Jim
Ok Ok so I did make a mistake. Could be the last time I experiment with new technology. I obtained the exact opposite to what I had intended- sent to everyone but the one person I had intended to, Laura our daughter. So much for tick boxes.
All this before alcohol had passed my lips today.  

Sorry you don't qualify for the network of professional latte drinkers so I shall have to exclude you from this exclusive circle.

I hope my apology has reached Ray and Sylvia before they get the original. My first response by phone was within 1 minute of my sending the communication. You were the second- I assume you used the cloud from the bike?

Has Ray asked for your opinion on the Higgs bosun particle yet? I am trying to persuade him to join your bridge circle since numbers interest him. This comment will further enrage him.

Will email later when I have recovered from my latest lapse. I think the homework is getting to me.
Jim

Dear LinkedIn IT Troubleshooter!

It is my strong opinion, giving your LinkedIn fiasco, that you have a promising career with the spooks at MI-5. With your brilliant programming skills I'm sure you would be able to cause any number of entities hostile to the both West Hartlepool and the Free World to crash before having the capability of launching attacks against aforesaid jurisdictions. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your resumé to Sir Harry, a close personal friend and avid malt tippler, and expect you will be hearing from him shortly!

In the meantime, interrupting my own research into Cold Fusion and the elusive Higgs bosun particle, (my preliminary findings indicate that after colliding with a muon neutrino, a subatomic lepton elementary particle which has the symbol ν μ, in case you are behind in your swotting, it takes a latte break and hence cannot be detected without the use of a caffeine based dye), as well as halting my revision of the Stayman, Jacoby transfers and Gerber conventional responses to Notrump openings, I have managed a number of cycling outings, in spite of the sub-zero temperatures, as well as the heavy demands placed upon my shoulders by Her Royal Pain in the Solar Plexus!

No excuses but plenty of reasons! Her Royal Majesty is still operating under restricted ambulatoriness so her demands are becoming increasingly burdensome, not to mention rather tiresome for all members of the royal household, including the Royal Feline who feels her place in the family hierarchy has been usurped!!!! Cora Lee Regina had her two toe pins removed yesterday and dottore wants her to spend two more weeks on her walker, no weight bearing yet! Since my attentions have been focused on her selfish needs I've barely had time to put fingers to keyboard and must apologize for tardiness of my reply. To make amends, I have included a recap of last Tuesday's ride for your reading pleasure, since you mentioned you haven't ridden much, if at all, of late, preferring tipplage over mileage! Fondestos to you and the Lovely, Long-Suffering Christine! Cheers, Patrizzio!


 








No comments:

Post a Comment