Sunday 8 January 2012

IIDD, Jan 8th

If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart. -Nelson Mandela, activist, South African president, Nobel laureate (b. 1918) 


It's never cool for your bed to be covered in work on a Saturday at 8pm....seriously
 
Patrick James Dunn Quit whining and using ValleySpeak to boot!

do you ever feel like Pandora knows exactly what you need to hear...now playing: Thad Jones' "You Don't Know What Love Is"

    • Mikey Kilun Actually it does know exactly what you're most likely to want to hear :). A Behaviorgraphical university study called Genome Project led to the development of the algorithm which became Pandora. Seriously, Wikipedia it, lol!

    • Ayn P So cool...it always blows my mind.

    • Patrick James Dunn I got dem 'ole New Age Touchy Feely Blues, Mama/Cuz you always blows my mind/Every time I hold Pandora in my lovin' arms/You always know how to make me feel so good! Seriously indeed, Y'all done give me dem 'ole Valley Speak Blues! Robert Browning's "You Don't Know What Grammar Is!"
 Nadienka Wyss I've been to both.. So u better be quite until u really can tell!

  • Patrick James Dunn Ich war in Abdelboooooden in den frühen 1950er Jahren, Skifahren mit Heidi, wenn du nicht einmal um, BabyCakes!

  • Nadienka Wyss Haha makes me miss our "fights". I'll always talk back grandpa ;) u better be prepared. Wie geht's Maggie?

  • Patrick James Dunn You'll get the spanking you deserve, Young Miss! You better watch out with that naughty tongue of yours, Nadienka! Maggie is just fine. I fed her about an hour ago and now she is sleeping on your Host Mother's tummy in the living room!

    • Patrick James Dunn First and foremost I only drink Schnapps now. Secondo, I think your English is abominable so you obviously need more practice in this tongue, not ever having done any homework when at The Island Inn!

    • Nadienka Wyss I could never do homework because of you, bothering me all the time! I know I was a bad student.. Not anymore, though! So teach me some better English instead of telling me how incredibly awful it is!;)

    • Patrick James Dunn You lying vixen! You never did a shred of homework as you were always downtown partying with Clan Sutherland and other n'er do wells
Well we have the trip of a life time booked to Australia. As of now we are planning to drive from Port Mc Quarrie to Tony and Ellie's on Monday April 9th. On the 12th we are going to go to Greg and Claire's staying until the 15th.

This is assuming that this all works for you guys. One question I would like to know is how far is it from Port Mc Quarrie. Also how long will it take to drive from the Hunter Valley to Port Mc Quarrie as we plan to stay in the Hunter Valley on the 6th and 7th.  Happy New Year. Wayne



Wayne

No problem about availability between the 9th of April, (Easter Monday), and the 12th. Easter for us this year is going to be quiet one as we leave at the end of May for Europe.
 
Can I suggest as you propose to be in the Hunter Valley on the 6th, (Good Friday) and 7th, (Easter Saturday). It would probably be a good idea to organise your accommodation before arriving there. It gets pretty busy in that area over Easter weekend. Regarding the distance its about 150 kms or about a 2.5 hour drive from Lake Macquarie to the Hunter Valley, depending on the traffic and winery stops. When in Lake Macquarie I recommend the Belmont 16s Yacht Club on the edge of Lake Macquarie as a good spot for a meal overlooking the lake.
 
The drive from Lake Macquarie to our place on the Gold Coast is about 800 kms or about 9 hours, once again depending on the traffic which could be  fairly heavy as people return home to Queensland at the end of the Easter break. About half the trip is via a dual carriage way which makes the journey a bit easier. 
 
Safe journey. All the best Tony & Elly    



Wayne,

I will leave that to Tony to advise but I reckon probably 6 - 7 hours
accounting for stopping getting lost and generally being a tourist.  On the
up side its only 1 hour from Tony and Ellies to our place.  I will make sure
that we are available to be tour guide and generally cook and be a good
person whilst your are all in Brisbane and will get the heritage tour
sorted out for the Friday.  I was intending a low key stay in Brisbane with
some walks around the city perhaps bike riding for those that want and maybe
a morning paddling a kayak for those that want to tho in three days it could
be a bit rushed.  I will see if there is a football match on while you are
here imagine a game of football played on a field that is an oval that 220
yards long with 36 men all trying to get one ball.  Pretty stupid but might
be interesting for you.

We are looking forward to catching up so take care. Cheers Greg and Claire



Hello Queenslanders All!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012, for everyone! Thanks for the info regarding Hunter Valley, Elly/Tony. We hope to be staying at a resort owned by close friends of Kathleen/Steve, our friends from Melbourne. As well, we may stay in Port Macquarie, as opposed to Lake Macquarie, but have yet to confirm that. The message that Sarge sent, ("It was clear as mud but it covered the ground!"), was after dinner this past Friday night and perhaps he had a bit too, too much vino as I noticed he managed to confuse the arrival date with his first message! (See below for that evening's details.) Thanks, Grogg, for outline of stay in Brisbane. "If It's Tuesday, It Must be Kayaking!" Speaking for myself, quite looking forward to some biking and hearing more of your frank insults! (See closing paragraph below!)

With respect to life at The Island Inn, of late, we hosted a lovely gathering on January 1st although Robo Ray was more than miffed about the Christmas Cake he had given me for my birthday. I had taken to annointing it with liberal dousings of spiced rum over the weeks prior to festivities and set it out for dessert at the Open House. With each helping,(He kept going back for more!), he would whine about how much better it was than the ones at home! Reminded him about the time I popped by one afternoon, before Christmas, and he took me into their kitchen to show me how to drizzle brandy over cake. He used a teaspoon and doled out liquid from a mickey. I played dumb as I hadn't the heart to tell him that I simply poured rum straight from the bottle, probably a little less than a third of his bottle, at one time! Must admit, it really is a wonderful cake. Told Raymundo to use less flour next time!!!

Started of the New Year regimen with a two mile swim at the Aquatic Center on Monday. Shoulder felt pretty good so quite exhilarated to be back, "surging" through the water. More like "plowing" than "surging" but still felt wonderful. (Don't think it had much to do with cycling on the bottom of the pool but I may well be mistaken! See attachment: Snorkel.JPG!) Friends from Perth, Yien/Mike and their children, Jessica/Olivia and Joshua, here to ski at Whistler/Big White, were over for dinner that evening and we had a great visit. Flamin' and Sarge came up as well. Turns out that we will meet Famiglia Pether for a few days in Darwin in late April. They are there for a medical conference and will spend three days in Kakadu with entire family. Unfortunately, we will be there after their camping/trekking outing. They will come for dinner this coming Monday and we hope to grill them for more details about Cairns and Darwin then. Any suggestions you might have about visiting Cairns/Darwin and the National Park would be more than appreciated, if you have time, of course.

In spite of reasonably inclement weather, over last week, I have managed a few wonderful rides. On Tuesday, I decided that I would do a Lions Gate up-and-over. If I'm remembering correctly, forecast was for rain but day turned out to be dry with not too, too much wind. I went as far as Argyle, in West Van, just before steepish hill that leads to Dundarave. Had 22K on my odometer by time I turned around. Since I wanted to log 50K by finish, I had decided I'd do another loop of park once I was back at the playground near Second Beach. Did just that and pulled into the Heartbreak Terrace with 51.33K to show for my efforts. Rather pleased as this was the longest ride I'd managed since before Christmas!

Wednesday I was on Footman's duty with Her Majesty so only exercise I managed was lifting her contraption in and out of car! On Thursday, however, I wanted to hit pool again so decided I'd go for a shorter ride beforehand. Turned right at Seawall junction to head to downtown and followed bike route all the way to Canada Place. One needs to make a slight detour to avoid stairs leading to Convention Center, beside Seaplane Terminal, but an easy one as bicycle accessible ramps allowed me to keep my feet on the pedals! A major concern, as you well know, Dear Reader! Must say that ride along Canada Place deck is quite picturesque, providing a simply glorious view of North Shore and the mountains, together with terrific panorama of harbour and container cranes, etc. About 4K from turnoff, (11K to that point), so I dipsy-doodled a bit heading back to Aquatic Centre to have 24K on odometre, in anticipation of being able to log final tally, magic number 31.33K, by time I was home. Swim went well although I had to sign numerous autographs after I broke surface in the shallow end. Applause was more than deafening and I was toweled off by stanchion worthy pretties in very skimpy bikinis before being massaged by two Swedish masseuses, with scented oils and aphrodisiacal unguents in the sauna! I upped distance to 2.5miles, inching my way towards 3 mile goal as a benchmark, as I used a new and improved Übersnorkel. I broke that barrier before the 31st but want to make it my "normal" (ie., without wheels), swim distance. Veddy, veddy slow but sure.

Knew forecast held rain to start around noon, yesterday but sky looked promising so I delayed my start until about 10:30am. Discovered that it was much, much cooler than I thought when I headed out, fighting a fairly stiff wind. Thought that temperature would mean that rain would hold off so didn't mind the buffeting. Once I rounded Science World only had the occasional strong gust. Have given up trying to figure out wind direction but I think it was a southeasterly or an eastsoutherly! At any rate, I returned to Canada Place and then over Lions Gate, fighting a reasonably strong cross wind and the beginnings of rain. By the time I had circled under bridge it was coming down fairly steadily and my riding shorts and designer long underwear were soaked. Thighs were not uncomfortable but my feet were blocks of ice, (Where are Robo Ray's Cpsyco-Socks when you really need them?), and my hands were turning into icicles in spite of my attempts to warm them through repeated clenching while grimacing!

Since I was already wet I decided to push on, going all the way to Travers and Marine Drive. A few blocks before that another foolhardy rider passed me and commented on how wet the day had turned out to be. I agreed, wholeheartedly, but didn't realize what was in store until I started the return journey. Now I was heading into the wind, (No surprise there, shades of Stink Island Revisited!), and the rain was pelting down. At times, I just wanted to curl up by the side of the road and expire, cursing myself for not limiting the ride to an up-an-over! Nevertheless, I pushed on, dreaming of a steaming latte and Robo Ray's cake, and made it to the bridge deck with almost 40K on the trusty odometre.

Rain abated, somewhat, on ascent and long haul warmed my frozen extremities, somewhat. My core was quite comfortable but my hands and feet felt like they'd been injected with Novocaine, ironically, however, maddeningly numb yet naggingly painful, at one and the same time!! Finally made it to Prospect Point, the coffee shop luring me with its steamed windows and promises of piping hot bowls of soup and frothy cappuccinos, but I clenched my frozen lips and headed downhill. Back into the wind for the interminable descent, the hyper chilled air raking me with absolute zero fingers!

Originally, after the SP/LG/WV circuit, I intended to make for West Broadway and Young Brothers to buy some vegetables needed for the weekend meals. I planned to clock 61K by the time I stepped onto the sidewalk there but by the time I was out of the park and heading for Science World I knew that I would be hard pressed to ride to Kitsilano. I had ridden 45K by the time I was 10K from Harbour Terrace, (viaduct/playground near Second Beach), so I knew I only had 6K worth of dipsy-doodling to reach my target distance. Rain had stopped by the time I was at Science World but so had the circulation in my fingers and thumbs. Sn even poked its head out although I felt no warmth from its anaemic presence. Nevertheless, I battled on, cursing the turtle slowness with which the distance display ticked over, babbling to myself, (drawing anxious, wary looks from passersby), to keep going before hypothermia finally set in.

Chilled, literally to the bone, I wheeled into our parkade, exulting in the hard won 61.33K. My thrilling flush of victory was sort lived, however, as I literally could not press the button on the clicker to open the garage door. I felt a bit like Jon Krakauer near the top of Everest struggling with his oxygen valve. Finally managed, using a finger knuckle, to depress button and I was home at last! Nevertheless, I knew I couldn't deal with locking my bike or unhitching my panniers so simply left my trusty steed unchained and made for the warmth of the hallway. With lobster claws I opened doors and stumbled into The Island Inn, walking like a man with no toes. Her Majesty was dozing, reclining on the couch so, after taking my sodden sneakers outside, I caressed her exposed throat with my antarctic digits and she screamed so loudly that Maggie achieved vertical liftoff from where she had been sleeping peacefully on the Royal Tummy! Share the pain of your loyal minions 'yer Ladyship!!!

Few minutes after my feet and hands had started to un-thaw, Stefano came by to deliver the gloves and toque he had borrowed earlier in their stay. I offered him a cup of freshly brewed java and we caught up on their recent junket to Edmonton as well as making more plans for our visit with them in March, in Mornington, as well as Hunter Valley, in April. He paid final obeisance to Cora Lee Regina and I dropped him off the Main Street SkyTrain Station to make his own way back to Burnaby, South Slope. Sorry to see them return to Oz, of course, but glad that we will see both Kathleen and Mandolin Man in a little more than two months.

I proceeded to Costco to pick up list the Royal Cook had prepared and then a quick stop at Marquis for two bottles of el Grano, Chile, 13%, 2010 Sauvignon Blanc, one of their WOW, (Wines of the Weekend), offerings. Then to Capers on 4th to purchase rice crumbs for Her Majesty's gluten free diet. After that, popped into Kissilano Wines for a couple of bottles of Aljibes, Spain, 2005 Red, (35% Cabbage, 35% Merlot, 30% Cab Franc, 13.5%), and then raced home. Found The Sutherland Freeloaders already ensconced, pounding a Church & State 2009 Pinot Gris, spicy, with hints of lychee and a fresh, crisp finish, munching on Cambozola and rice crackers, checking out flights, car rentals and accommodation in OZ for coming trip.

Once I unloaded groceries, Her Highness put Sarge to work on dinner, preparing Rosita's orange chicken thigh dish while I concocted a green salad. That done we readied green beans/cherry tomatoes in frying pan and put water on to boil for polenta. Chicken took about 45 minutes to bake and we co-ordinated timing of other two dishes so they were both ready when fowl came out of the oven. Just before we sat down to eat I opened the Aljibes and everyone applauded the choice: deep cherry colour with ripe fruit on the nose, dusty yet spicy, lengthy finish. We toasted one another and enjoyed a delicious meal with wonderful friends, terrific traveling companions.

Flamin' and Sarge and Molly left shortly after 9:00pm and I cleaned up while Cora Lee and Chloë watched an episode of Revenge. Then to bed and but a few pages of Turn of Mind, Alice LaPlante's quite remarkable first novel about Dr. Jennifer White, suffering from dementia, the prime suspect in the death of her best friend, as ride over the frozen tundra finally took its toll. I drifted off imagining my hands clasped around a hefty splash of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte PC7, 61%. However, rather than sipping the Sin An Doigh Ileach, I would dip one finger after another into the warming nectar and lick it, slowly, off my fingertips! Sláinte!!! (Trust any rides on Gold Coast or in Brisbane will be warmer!!)

Thanks again, Gang of Four, for all your help and best wishes. I'm quite glad that I persuaded my troop to continue to associate with you lot as they really didn't want to have anything to do with "those callous Aussies" after Greg asked Nils if he was a clumsy butcher! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: At a party, Thursday before NY Eve: Cora Lee; Flamin'; Sarge; New Year's Eve: Stefano; Kathleen, left, Lorraine, her sister, (lives here), right. Song: Clan Sutherland's National Anthem!


How nice of you to think of dinner with Bob and Corinne. Yes I am in! 

Hi Bob!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012, for you!

Jim Hilson is coming to town, a week this Monday, staying for a day or two, before going on to Victoria, I believe, for an annual conference. Madame Coriandre and I were wondering if you would like to join us for dinner the evening of the day he arrives. Please include Corinne if that is agreeable/possible. Am hoping Kjell and Jane will be able to come as well. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly.  Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!




Hi Pat,

Running out the door! I am on for a week Monday, January 17.......bob


Hi Bob on the RUN!

Great that you can come for dinner. Will Corinne be along as well? Let me know when you have stopped emulating a Man in Motion! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello again, Bob!

Not sure how much of a hurry you were in BUT next Monday is January 16th, not the 17th! Does this make a difference in terms of you being able to attend? Please confirm. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Hi,

According to my iMotion application, Monday in on the 17th BUT in the case of iCalendar it is on the 16th. I am coming on the Monday (16th). bob



It will be without Corinne, O solo mio! bob

Hi Bob!

Sorry that we won't be able to meet Corinne just yet but pleased you will be joining us. Kjell will be along sans Jane so with Zircon that makes three unaccompanied males! Anytime after 6:00pm. Look forward to catching up. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 


Hi Kjell!

Trust all goes well, so far in 2012, for you and Jane!

Close friend, Jim Hilson, from Calgary, is coming to town, a week this Monday, staying for a day or two, before going on to Victoria, I believe, for an annual conference. Madame Coriandre and I were wondering if you would like to join us for dinner the evening of the day he arrives. Have invited Snobby Bobby and have asked him to include Corinne if that is agreeable/possible. Let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. 
Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick!

I gratefully accept your invitation. Jane is working, but, as she puts it so well, we don't have to be together all the time. I will forward her opinion on the state of the world.

By contrast, I think I will gracefully abstain from Tuesday's bike ride. Firstly, because I need another couple of runs to get fit after all the eating and drinking during the holidays, secondly, because I HATE crossing the Lion's Gate bridge on a bike. I'm so high up. A little push, and I'm over the railing. And this would be twice. Bestestos, Kjell
PS We're, finally, talking about doing something for you guys; would you prefer Norgate or the cabin?  



Hi Kjell!

Sorry that Jane will not be along but pleased you will be joining us. Bob will be along sans Corinne so with Zircon that makes three unaccompanied males! Anytime after 6:00pm.

Understand about Tuesday's ride. Perhaps we can arrange to meet, at some point, over next little while, on your side of Lions Gate and I'll show you route I've discovered beyond Dundarave. Look forward to catching up week Monday, if not before. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Zircon!

I just returned from dropping Her Royal Highness off at Trinity. Had sent Bob an email just before leaving and his reply was waiting in my Inbox upon return. Pleased to relate that he is on for Monday's dinner but no mention of Corinne! Have also invited friends, Kjell and Jane, but no reply yet.
Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Subject:Happy Birthday Pat!
Date:Sun Jan 08 02:48:22 PST 2012

Dear Pat

Congratulations to your birthday! We wish you joy, luck, good health and safe travels for the year to come! Trusting you celebrated yesterday with extensive festivities and a lot of friends. Fondest regards, Simon
 
Hi Simon!

Thanks very much for the birthday wishes. However, must tell you that my birthday is actually on December 6th. Had a grand celebration on that day however! Cheers, Patrizzio




Hi Pat

Quite embarrassing on my part! But since the Rothenbühlers are more often too late than too early I might try to cite genetic reasons (and of course my new digital assistant Siri got fired immediately). But I'm glad to see the picture of the celebration!

Sunday evening greetings from Bern, Simon



Mein lieber Dipsydoudelkind und Übersnorkelteufel,

Am dienstag sieht gut aus, mich für eine Radtour.
(yay für Google Translator) 8^) cheers, Mark (My dear and Dipsydoudelkind Übersnorkelteufel, On Tuesday looks good to me for a ride. (yay for Google Translator))



Pat,

    Well done in spite of inclement weather. Tuesday sounds good for a 'comeback' on the bike. I have some time limitations and need to be back by about 1 but flexible with direction of ride.

    I've been having some fun with Jim regardiong Christmas cards he sent to both me and another friend without postage stamps. Wondered if you have had the same experience? Ray



Hi Ray!

I dream about receiving real mail, with or without stamps!

Let me know if sometime around 10:00am, on Tuesday, is fine with you. Cheers, Patrizzio!
P,

Good to here you are keeping in the frostbitten saddle and making up for the
sluggish lads. I will gladly join you on Tuesday for a ride -- just gave up
my games in favour of for a ride in the sun. Let me know when and where.

Glad the wing continues to hold up to the heavy mileage.

Hope Ray can join us. My understanding was that Ray was very pleased with
the Xmas cake even though it may not have been as popular on that day as the
pie. I cut the first piece and Kerry and I were really impressed -- and we
don't generally prefer Xmas cake.

Hope Corinne is on the mend -- will catch up on Tuesday.
W



Hi Giggster!


I just returned from dropping Her Royal Highness off at Trinity. She is planning to pray, long and hard, for The Brotherhood! Lots to chat about, (recipes, snorkels, no knead Christmas cake, etc.), on Tuesday. Might even need a latte stop! Cheers, Die Froschmann!


 Hi Lads!

As of this scribing, Marcus Aurelius, Whirlissimo and Robo Ray are on for a bit of a jaunt. However, Mr Cpsycho-Socks has a time constraint so perhaps we could arrange to do an up-and-over Lions Gate, meeting at Science World around tennish, exact, (to the nano second), chronological coordinates to be determined if this route appeals. Please advise but afternoon post. Snorkels available upon request. Cheers, Il Conduttore! UN Undersecretary for Translation and Gobbledygook!

Hallo Lads!

Da dieses Ritzen, sind Marcus Aurelius, Whirlissimo und Robo Ray auf für ein bisschen wie ein Ausflug. Allerdings hat Herr Cpsycho-Socks eine zeitliche Begrenzung so könnten wir vielleicht arrangieren zu tun ein Up-and-over Lions Gate, Treffen rund um Science World tennish, genau, (bis in den Nano Sekunde), chronologische Koordinaten bestimmt werden, wenn diese Route Appelle. Bitte informieren Sie aber am Nachmittag nach. Schnorchel auf Anfrage erhältlich. Cheers, Il Conduttore! UN Unterstaatssekretär für Übersetzen und Gobbledygook!

Bok dečki!

Od ove scribing, Marka Aurelija, Whirlissimo i Robo Ray se na za malo izlet. Međutim, gospodin Cpsycho-Čarape ima vremena ograničenje pa možda bismo mogli organizirati napraviti gore-preko Lions Gate, sastanak na znanost Svijet oko tennish, točan, (za nano drugi), kronološko koordinate koje će odrediti ako je to put žalbe. Molimo Vas savjetovati, ali popodne post. Snorkels dostupne na zahtjev. Živjeli, Il Conduttore! Podtajnik UN za prevođenje i Gobbledygook!

Hej gossar!

När detta ritsning, Marcus Aurelius, Whirlissimo och Robo Ray är på för lite av en utfärd. Däremot har herr Cpsycho-Strumpor en tidsbegränsning så vi kanske kunde ordna att göra en upp-och-över Lions Gate, församlade på Science World omkring tennish, exakt, (till nano sekund), som kronologiska koordinater bestämmas om denna väg överklaganden. Vänligen meddela men eftermiddagen inlägg. Snorklar på begäran. Cheers, Il Conduttore! FN: s statssekreterare för översättning och rappakalja!

Lads Dia duit!

Mar seo a scribing, Marcus Aurelius iad, Whirlissimo agus Robo Ray ar do beagán de jaunt. Mar sin féin, tá an tUasal Cpsycho-Stocaí mar shrian ama mar sin b'fhéidir go raibh muid socrú a dhéanamh ar bun-agus-os cionn Lions Gate, cruinniú ag an Domhain Eolaíocht timpeall tennish, cruinn, (go dtí an dara nana), comhordaíonn croineolaíoch a bheidh le cinneadh más rud é an bealach seo achomhairc. Tabhair comhairle a thabhairt ach tráthnóna bpost. Snorkels fáil ar iarratas. Cheers, Il Conduttore! Na Náisiún Aontaithe Forúnaí an Aistriúcháin agus Gobbledygook!




Hi Pat

Quite embarrassing on my part! But since the Rothenbühlers are more often too late than too early I might try to cite genetic reasons (and of course my new digital assistant Siri got fired immediately). But I'm glad to see the picture of the celebration! Sunday evening greetings from Bern, Simon


Hi again, Simon!

Sorry to hear that Siri was fired as a result of incorrect birthday notification. Perhaps on the next job he/she/it will do better! Pictures were actually taken on the the Sunday following my birthday as I was curling on the 6th and we wanted to include close friends from Melbourne, Steve and Kathleen, who didn't arrive until following day. Greetings from Cora Lee and Chloë. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hello Patrick

Not sure if I have wished you and yours a very happy and healthy new year so please forgive if so!  Starting new working life tomorrow so will let you know how it goes in a few days.  Not finished at FWG until Wednesday so doing a "sicky" tomorrow!  

FWG may even keep me employed on a one day a week basis as a Consultant as I am ARLA qualified and they can't call themselves an ARLA agent without me!  

Anna's 34th birthday on the 6th, so she celebrated last night with 8 friends.  They got back about 3am. I was sleeping with Max who was tossing and turning all night as he had a cold so not much sleep for yours truly.  Am watching Kiss me Kate on BBC4 and will repair to my bed when it ends at 10pm. Reminds me of all the musicals I watched with my mum in the 50s!

Saw the new Sherlock film with my current beau Mike last Friday.  He may not be around for much longer as he's a bit of a cold fish but does have a lovely house and 2 amazing cats!  Other beau Martin (who is far too keen but may be giving me a lift to the airport on the 19th) unfortunately is married!  He has sent me two lots of amazing flowers over Xmas and my birthday, gives me lifts home and takes me out for lunch all the time - wifey phoned me the other day and is not happy!!

Well guess I must go as need to get my nails done before the end of the evening.

Much love to all Penelope xx

Will let you know as soon as Laphroaig arrives.  Angela and I are thinking of doing a Norwegian cruise this summer - fancy coming too?

Hello Duhlink!

Thanks for New Year's' wishes! You, Goldilocks, need to find a beau in the middle, it seems, one's too cold, the other's too hot! Belated birthday wishes to Anna! Trust all goes well with her and Leon but you haven't mentioned him in ages and I'm wondering?

Took Coriandre to Trinity this morning. First time she's been in sometime, other than Christmas Eve, since the operation on her foot. Collected her after the service and once I'd settled Her Highness, I suited up and headed out for a ride. Sky was quite overcast but no rain, in spite of forecast, so I decided to cycle around Stanley Park. Once near Coal Harbour I took the Seawall to Canada Place again. It really is a lovely ride and there were few people about so had pathways to myself. Enjoyed watching the pontoon clad planes land and take off as I passed the Float Plane Terminal, just below the relatively new Convention Centre with its sustainable grass roof! Around the tip of Canada Place and then back towards Stanley Park itself.

By the time I had reached the deck of the Lions Gate the forecast came true and it began to drizzle quite steadily. However, it was remarkably warm so although my shorts and leggings were rather damp, I was quite comfortable. Made my way into West Vancouver, past Ambleside where the Lions Club was chipping Christmas trees. The smell was almost delirious making, rich, rich pine scent perfumed the misty air. Stopped at the intersection of Argyle and 27th and retraced my route back to bridge.

Wind was at my back as I crossed over the Burrard Inlet so long climb to crest of First Narrows was not at all unpleasant. Descending hill from Prospect Point was another matter, however, as I was riding right into wind and now could not escape being pummeled by the rain. I had worn an extra hooded sweatshirt so that kept me cosy, in spite of my dripping outer garments. Once more back around the park and this time there were very few walkers or joggers and only three other cyclists, other than myself. Rather enjoyed having the Seawall almost to myself. By the time I rounded Siwash Rock, the mist/fog had virtually enveloped the city. The freighters in English Bay looked ghostly, their lights winking like fireflies, and Burrard Bridge was just barely visible through the moisture laden, late afternoon air.

Switched on my lamp as I left the park and zoomed towards home, my heart delighted with the ride in spite of the rain. Never ceases to amaze me that now I think nothing of riding in weather that would have kept me indoors but a year or so ago. Of course, drier conditions are usually more enjoyable but I must say that I think today's ride was one of most rewarding I've yet experienced. I think it had something to do with the relative quiet, the mist seemed to dampen sounds, muffled everything from the roar of traffic to the cries of the gulls swooping low over the water. Furthermore, the rain was more a light, caressing drizzle than the cold, pounding sheets of last Friday. Arrived back at Harbour Terrace at 5:15pm with 61.33K on my odometer and felt exhilarated, no sign of exhaustion, in lungs or legs, in spite of fact that I had pushed myself on last go-round, keeping up with two other riders going slightly faster than I probably would have managed had I not had them to draw me on.

Love to join you in the fjords but not this summer, unfortunately! Don't worry about the Laphroaig unless you want to invite the hot beau's wifey over for a snort!!! Time to join Cora Lee in the living room. Downton Abbey, Season Two, will start in about twenty minutes and we can hardly wait! Have you been following it?

Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pat,

    10 Tuesday is good for me but don't alter your plans re distance - I'll peel off when necessary.

                                                                                                                                                Ray

Deg o'r gloch y bore yn Nwyrain Creek Ffug mae'n(Ten o'clock in the morning in East False Creek it!) 8^) lloniannau, Mark (cheers, Mark)


P,

Das timing is gut, yah mit der .33. Yavol, W 



Patriçio,

Do you mean 10:00am  @Science World after, or hopefully before the up & over?

I am up for Tuesday on the conditions of not too ridiculously early and the weather is reasonable. The bridge is not my fav, but I will succumb to the will of the majority.

Gentlemen of the Sprocket!


Upon receiving Patiçio’s last cycling log, which can only be rivalled by Magellan’s rutter of his voyage through the pass bearing his name, I realized that there now remains only two courses of action.  My first preference, to take a 2lb sledge to Patriçio’s odometer, or the less draconian but likely less effective, is to purchase my own odometer and pepper him with compelling escapades of my travels.
To this end, I cycled up to Mountain Equipment Coop yesterday.  The journey looked rather long and arduous, so as a #50 bus just happened to be by, I tossed the cycle on the front rack and caught a ride to Broadway and Cambie.  From there, I braved the traffic for many blocks (3 I think) to arrive at MEC, only touching the ground twice for pedestrian crosswalks.
I decided to install the odometer right there at the bike rack in front of MEC as to gain maximum benefit and moral infusion.  Heading East, on the sidewalk to the next intersection, dipsy doodling amongst pedestrians, I managed not to touch the ground for 0.075K!!!  Once the light changed, I set out, but noticed the Soccer West outlet at Broadway and Columbia.  Needing a new sports bag, I stopped at the store, chatted with the lovely young girl sales clerk, finally bungi-cording my acquisition to my carrier, after logging 0.0K while in the store.
An exhilarating downhill to 8th ave, sharp left, and another 0.3K brought me to within eyesight of Cambie, but the aroma emitting from the bagel cafe on the left had such an intoxicating effect that I was ½ way through my lox and cream cheese bagel and Americano before regaining consciousness.
I took it easy heading west on 8th as not to risk cramping up from exercising immediately after eating, but made it to Cambie only stopping once at a crosswalk.  Upon reaching Cambie, I noticed the BCL there and recalled I was out of beer.  Now usually, I would just tear up the wheelchair ramp, but alas, it was occupied so I had to trek it.
With my 6-pack of Coronas safely in my pannier, the wheelchair ramp unoccupied, I rode down the ramp, hung a smooth right turn down the lane followed by a sharp left onto 7th avenue.  Now I was on the roll.  Another 0.35K without stopping or touching the ground!  I did stop at Heather street to chat with my mechanic (car needs a lube soon) but I swore this would be my last stop.
Off to the Laurel Street land bridge, but alas, as I swerved onto it I encountered dog walk rush hour and again had to slow down and negotiate the overpass in “scooter” mode – one foot on the pedal, the other pushing off the ground.
Finally past the bottleneck, I literally flew down the slope toward the sea wall at a blistering 5-10k/h and running over only 2 poodles and a Chihuahua I ran smack into the mayhem called “recess” at the elementary school.  Several irate women, posing as playground supervisors, attempted to accost me, waving frantically at the “no cycling” signs, but I eluded my would be captors and arrived at the marina gate, illegally riding along the dock, without further incident.
Tallying up my mileage over a well deserved beer, I could see that I would not remain Guinnessless for long!

Hi Patrick,

You and Corrinne are invited to our customary Robert Burns night on
Saturday, January 21st, at 6:30 PM.

The usual haggis, bashed neeps, champit tatties and cock-a-leeckie
soup will be served as a prelude to

some sampling of Scotland's finest. Hope you are able to join us. -Colin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment