Monday 30 January 2012

IIDD,Jan 26th

I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beech-tree, or a yellow birch, or an old acquaintance among the pines. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862) 

 Hi Glasgow!

Sorry I've not replied sooner. No excuses but plenty of reasons. I'm still on for tomorrow if you are. One slight proviso. Would we be able to collect Corinne from VPL after film? Will your vehicle have space for her mini-walker? If not, then perhaps you could drive to our place and we can switch cars. Let me know. I assume if we leave from Harbour Terrace by 1:30pm that should give us enough time to park at St Paul's and walk to cinema, or else simply park at theater. Let me know what you think best. Cheers, Patrizzio!


I'll pick you up at your house at 1:30 and picking up Corinne is fine. Where is Harbour Terrace?

Hi Glasgow!

Harbour Terrace is a a run down set of Council Flats off Lamey's Mill Road, 1425, to be precise! See you in the parking lot at 1:30pm. Mind the broken beer bottles and burned mattresses when you pull into the laybye! Cheers, Wee Patrick!
 




CHATEAU LAFITE ROTHSCHILD 1995
PAUILLAC 

Intense aromas of blackberries, black licorice and currants, with mineral undertones. Full-bodied, with a solid core of tannins and a long, silky finish. Still holding back, but is concentrated and powerful. The 1996 is always talked about, but I think this is superior and will be in the future.--'95/'96 Bordeaux retrospective. Best after 2010.
96 POINTS WINE SPECTATOR


$3499.99
 

Hi Titanium Man et al:

For clarification purposes only:

We, (number yet to be determined), plan to screen Apocalypse Now, (time yet to be determined), and then have a pot-luck meal, (menu yet to be determined), with significant others, (composition yet to be determined), and then group, (participants yet to be determined), will discuss Conrad's Heart of Darkness, (edition yet to be determined). No book reading is required, as per article 1.11 of the NRBC Constitution! Should you wish to be in violation of our Charter and actually read the book in question, a fine, (amount yet to be determined), will be levied. Cheers, Your Determined to be Determined Host, Il Conduttore!



CHATEAU MARGAUX 1995
MARGAUX 

Dark color. Black licorice, coffee, currants and black olives. Complex nose. A full-bodied, chewy blockbuster of a wine that is not giving anything at all away. It is like buried treasure still; you have to search for the gold. And it's there. Fabulous. Please give this time.--'95/'96 Bordeaux retrospective. Best after 2014. 
100 POINTS WINE SPECTATOR


$1699.99


Dear Burnaboid del Norte, et al:

You are obviously referring to the by-law/regulation which deals with the number of continuous "no-shows", an article which may well have to be invoked shortly! That being stated, I do appreciate that the Constitution was not written with an over-abundance of lucidity and brevity, (Guy de Lungo Senza Fiato was responsible for drafting the document in the first instance, hyperbole being his natural tendency, I fear!), so I will not impose a fine for this misreading. However, three strikes and you, my Northern Rascal, will be dreaming about the warmth, from the fireplace and the malt, and conviviality of the NRBC, huddled over a one stick fire on the frozen shores of Burnaby Lake! Cheers, Il Conduttore, Capo di Infrazioni Costituzionale e Fraintendimenti!


Sounds good to me.  Please let me know what time the festivities start.  Cheers.

..Dave


Please permit me this brief note on a more serious matter.

I was becoming concerned about the growing use of non-official languages in the members' discussions of constitutional issues. I'm not exactly sure which languages Burnaby North and the Conductor are trying to communicate in, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Then I realized that we've not determined whether our constitution was promulgated under federal or provincial jurisdiction. This lacuna may be a source of the periodic constitutional crises we seem doomed to endure. The situation may have made worse by the fact that BC is one of only two Canadian jurisdictions (along with Newfoundland and Labrador) not to have legislated an official language. Even, if I may use the example without intending any offence, the Yukon has adopted, I understand, several official languages.

We may not be ready yet to give this matter the sober consideration it deserves. Perhaps a committee could be struck. Patrick may want to give it some thought during his antipodal expedition and report back to us. I don't think we'd expect anything over fifty pages.

As English is the only language I know, I hesitate to suggest another. But in honour of our favourite spirit and Burns perhaps we should consider Gaelic.

Slainte* mhor agad!

*Which I understand to mean I can't find the diacritical marks on this bloody thing. 



CHATEAU HAUT BRION 1995
PESSAC-LEOGNAN

It is fun to go back and forth between the 1995 and 1996, two superb vintages for Haut-Brion. The 1995 seems to have sweeter tannin and a bit more fat and seamlessness when compared to the more structured and muscular 1996. Certainly 1995 was a vintage that the brilliant administrator Jean Delmas handled flawlessly. The result is a deep ruby/purple-colored wine with a tight but promising nose of burning wood embers intermixed with vanilla, spice box, earth, mineral, sweet cherry, black currant, plum-like fruit, medium to full body, a high level of ripe but sweet tannin, and a finish that goes on for a good 40-45 seconds. This wine is just beginning to emerge from a very closed state where it was unyielding and backward. Anticipated maturity: 2006-2035.
96 POINTS ROBERT PARKER


$1698.99

Hi Patrick

Thank you so much for the email.  I do apologize for the delay in getting back in touch with you.  I tend to get inundated with email at work and so I can sometimes be tardy with getting to my own personal email account.  I know that it is not a very good excuse, but it is the truth nonetheless. 

I am looking forward to the singles event at the VPL.  I would give you a full report, however the event is after our club get together at your place.  So any update will have to wait until we are all back together again.  I wonder what the event will be like though.  Will we discuss books?  Will it be a success?  Will there be enough people to make it a go?  So many questions.  I guess only time will tell.

I have been reading some great books of late.  Many of them dealing with internet crime and I have been enjoying them greatly.  So many talented computer hackers out there.  As I read more and more about them, I realize just how vulnerable we can all be at times.  I am also reading the autobiography of duff mckagan from Guns N Roses.  A rock band that I enjoyed in my youth.  Heck who am I kidding?  I still like them.

I continue to run as much as I can, although it has been getting harder and harder to get out.  I seem to be feeling lazy these days.  I am hoping that I'm lazy only due to the weather and when it turns nicer out, I'll be motivated again.  I do continue to swim though, and I am looking forward to booking my holiday.  This year, I think it will be Australia.

Anyway Patrick, speaking of swimming I must retire to bed.  5am comes quickly.  Far too quickly these days.  I had hoped to be in bed before 9pm.  So much for that plan!

Take care and talk with you soon,..Dave



Hi Patrick,
 
Please excuse my late answer. (Thought I already sent one.) I shall be glad to join you wherever you go. Kjell
 
 
Kjell

 

No comments:

Post a Comment