Saturday 10 December 2011

IIDD, Dec 10th

Money. You don't know where it's been, / but you put it where your mouth is. / And it talks. -Dana Gioia, poet, critic, and translator (b. 1950)  



Thanks for a great ride today, gents!

Full sized originals available if you would like them...8^) cheers, Mark




Hello Official Peleton Photographer, Super Sock Man and Ski Bum!

Wonderful jaunt yesterday indeed! Thanks for terrific snaps Marcus! Much appreciated. Sorry you chaps weren't able to join us for a "Patrick Bashing" at The Island Inn afterwards. Marcus and Kathleen and Steve and Chloë all ganged up on me, so much so that I had to make a quick exit to pick up Coriandre at Mount St Joseph's! Pleased to report that surgery went extremely well, (slightly more than two hours under the scalpel!), and the Canadian patient has been relatively pain-free ever since coming home.

It is more comfortable for her to sleep on couch in living room, her right leg raised on some enormous pillows, a comforter keeping her cosy, along with Maggie, purring like a 50hpr outboard, atop her tummy. I am rather chagrined to have to acknowledge that so far she has been a model patient, both undemanding and courteous to her caregivers. Whether this will last after her pain medication prescription is exhausted remains to be seen!

She spent a very good night and even fed Maggie this morning. Her only complaint, post-surgery, is that her affected toes are extremely itchy although she is quite proud of the pins sticking out of the ones operated upon, capped with tiny, yellow plastic Smiley Faces! Her own private construction site! She takes every opportunity to show them off to friends and family, even complete strangers passing on the sidewalk outside our patio, waving them in with a crutch! I gather she intends to offer viewings, on the half hour, at the Open House on Sunday so be forewarned!

Have a wonderful time on Red Mountain, Whirlissimo. We'll toast you on Sunday. Perhaps the OPP will bring along his camera and take some macro shots of The Pins of The Sisterhood. If not we could Skype you during one of the viewing sessions! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Happy birthday, Pat,

... from your cheap friend in Stockholm!
And you watch out, I'll be in Vancouver before Christmas. Look forward to some exhausting bike rides.
 
Dear Pat,
May be it wasn't your birthday after all? I had it from a pretty unreliable source. If it wasn't I apologize. Hope you are doing well. Kjell 

Hello Scandinavian Scrooge!

Thanks very much for the birthday wishes! You did have the day right, in spite of your unreliable source! Chuffed to learn that you are still keen to ride! Sorry that it has taken me a bit to reply but this past week has been rather a whirlwind of activity, to say the least!

On Monday evening I did a volunteer shift helping to sell Christmas trees at Aunt Leah's lot in Burnaby, on Royal Oak and Rumble. They have expanded from two lots, (first was/is on Granville and 59th), to four this year, one in North Van, the other in Coquitlam. Very Pleased for their fund raising effort as this non-profit does some very good work with youth. From their website:

We provide safe, secure housing and programs that give young people the practical skills they need to make a successful transition to adulthood and independence. In addition, we provide young moms with housing and support in learning how to care for themselves and their babies.

We work with very vulnerable and marginalized young people such as:

Teen aboriginal moms
14 to 19-year-olds who are in foster care
19 to 28-year-olds who have been in foster care
Homeless moms who are being discharged from the BC Women’s Hospital Fir Square Ward--a dedicated pre-natal and post-natal care ward for moms recovering from alcohol and drug addiction

Ragin' Bull was along, (He volunteered last year as well.), and although it was cool and crisp it was dry so it was fun helping families select their trees. Brought home a 6' Noble Fir for our place. After I dropped Branko off at Spruce Harbour Marina, where his boat is moored, just five minutes from our place, I drove home and parked in the outside lot as I knew I couldn't clear gate with tree on the top of my car. Went in to ask Dusty to help me carry the tree up the stairs to our patio and had it untied by the time he joined me. We took it off the roof together and when I made to take one end he simply grabbed the tree in a bear hug and marched off with it up the stairs, telling me, over his shoulder, to park the car! So much for an 86 year old!

Next day, Tuesday, December 6th, was my birthday and I  started it off by going on a glorious ride around Stanley Park with Whirlygig. It was reasonably foggy/misty, but not particularly cold, and city looked absolutely wonderful, shrouded as it was, sounds seemingly muffled. Giorgio left me at Macdonald and Point Grey as he had errands to run to get ready for his coming ski trip to Rossland. I continued on out to UBC and along Marine Drive to 41st, making my way towards Arbutus and Dino, my barber, owner of Economy Barbershop on corner of 41st and West Boulevard. Had to do a bit of dipsy-doodling around some of the Kerrsidale streets beforehand as I had decided I'd ride 64K to celebrate my birthday. Stopped with 64.64K on the odometer so that was my first birthday present to myself!

After being shorn by Dino, wished him a Happy Christmas and made my way back towards home, down Macdonald and then east on 2nd, stopping at 2nd and Burrard, at Modern Nails, for a pedicure! Enjoyed a delicious back/shoulder/neck pummeling in the massage chair while I was having my feet pampered. My second birthday present to myself! By the time pedicure was finished it was just after 5:00pm so I raced home to have a quick shower as I needed to be ready to curl with Flamin' and Sarge at 6:15pm. They collected me and we made our way to VCC, now in the facility built for the Olympic/Para-Olympic events.

We had a great game, managing to steal one point every end, often just a squeaker, for the first five ends. On the sixth, the opposition scored their first point but clock had run out so we shook hands and repaired to the bar. It was our mini-Christmas Party with pizza and beer. League fees cover costs for such food and one pitcher of draft per team. Pizza came from Camy's Pizza and they were divine, particularly the Butter Chicken! I had ordered a large cake from Costco and after everyone had feasted on the delicious pizza I gave a couple of "Attenzziones" and then thanked Team Johnson for allowing us to win on my birthday. Then I proceeded to lead the gang in a boisterous round of For He's A Jolly Good Fellow! My third birthday present to myself! Everyone enjoyed the short sing along and the cake and so it was loads of fun, celebrating my 64th with 64, (16 teams in our Granville Island League), curling friends.

Back home, Flamin' and Sarge came up to have a birthday drink and I opened a number of presents. Everyone was most impressed with the magnificent Christmas cake Robo Ray had left for me day before my birthday, and I mentioned that he'd been keeping us abreast of recipe and shopping for ingredients over rides during November. Whirlygig had left two very nice bottles of wine and a book on our patio, just before our ride that morning. Flamin' and Sarge gave me a super malt, Arran, The Amarone Cask Finish, 50%, spice and warmth in the mouth, extremely well balanced with a most satisfying Amarone finish, so we needed a couple of snorts to make sure it was as good as we thought it was! Cora Lee presented me with a Sirius Satellite Radio so that I can listen to commercial-free music, talk and comedy on our road travels. Basically it's really a present for her so that she can read without having me interrupt her, continually asking her to look for a static-free station of play a certain selection on the iPod!

For her part, Chloë claimed she wanted to to prolong the gift giving so she was planning to give me my present from her on the weekend, while Maggie promised not to wake us up before 8:00am for a month! This, plus all the wonderful wishes, cards and email, from friends near and far, and I certainly counted myself a very fortunate Birthday Senior, (if not Boy), indeed!

On Wednesday, I went for a swim at the Aquatic Centre and was pleased to do two miles, (magic number 64 again, 64 lengths), of non-stop crawl so I think I will be able to reach my 3 mile target before Christmas. Shoulder felt very comfortable. I gave it a massage in hot tub before and after swim. Look forward to that part the most!

Back home to run a few errands and then to get house ready for our friends, Kathleen and Steve, arriving from Melbourne. I was to collect them from airport but Zoe, their daughter, called to say she would fetch her parents. Glad she did as flight was supposed to arrive at 3:30pm and I wasn't looking forward to rush hour traffic, let me tell you. Once released from chauffeur duty, I drove to GIB to collect four plastic milk crates. Cora Lee and Dusty had put up the tree on Tuesday morning, after I'd left for my ride, but by that night Die Direktoren had decided she wanted it raised! Had thought of building a small platform, on which to place the tree stand, out of scrap lumber but realized that the multiple milk crate approach was simpler. The Brewery takes delivery of some dairy products for the food service operation in the Tap Room and Chloë knew that there were scads of empty crates in one of the storerooms there. She phoned ahead and arranged to have four waiting for me.

Once I'd collected them Dusty came over and tied them together with some strong plastic twine. After he was satisfied with the arrangement, we picked up the tree, water-filled stand and all, and Chloë positioned the platform under the stand. Woiked poifectly and Coriandre was more than delighted when she returned from a VPL Board Meeting to see our handiwork. Higher positioning really shows off the tree and makes it easier to water, not to mention making more room for more presents under its boughs!!!

As things turned out, the United flight was almost six hours late! We had invited Flamin' and Sarge for dinner so we went ahead with meal as Zoe had called to inform us of new ETA. Nevertheless, had a grand visit when they finally made it, just after 10:00pm, exhausted though they were.

On Thursday evening Cora Lee and I went to the Christmas Dinner for the board members of the Friends of VPL. It was held at the Waldorf, on East Hastings. I'd been there in mid-October for the VIFF Volunteer Lunch so was quite looking to the evening. It was a relatively small gathering, about twelve or thirteen people, and we all sat at a long table. However, some of us moved around between courses to chat with people at one end or the other so visiting worked well. Food was wonderful. Cora Lee and I shared a fried halloumi/tomatoe appetizer, followed by a delicious hearts of palm salad and then a scrumptious dish of Chorizo sausages on a bed of polenta. Couple of bottles of Los Moras Tannat and their Garnacha, shared with those not drinking beer, and we had plenty of quaffable hootch with which to toast the Christmas season.

Chloë had dropped us off at the hotel so we took a cab home. Once back at The Island Inn we took Kathleen and Steve next door to visit with Clarisse and Dusty as they'd not really had a chance to chat since arriving. Loads of fun catching up and then we came back to our place to sit around fireplace until just before midnight. Said goodnight to our guests then as as we had a reasonably early morning coming up. I was to drive Coriandre to Mount St Joseph's by 7:45am for her scheduled toe surgery.

In fact, I woke up at 6:00am on Friday morning and read in bed until after Cora Lee had her last plastic garbage bag free shower for a few weeks! Dropped her off at hospital and wished her well. Back home to make breakfast of a some yummy turkey/chicken sausages for demanding house guests. Kathleen was in charge of making toast: Terra Breads' whole grain loaf! I cleared up while the Ozzites readied themselves for a walk along Seawall and then I donned my cycling togs. Had arranged to Meet Whirlygig adn Robo Ray at noon just outside our building and when lads arrived we made for Science World to rendezvous with Marcus Aurelius who had taken Sky Train in from Burnaby.

Still pretty nippy even with a clear blue sky and sun beaming down upon us. Had to be a careful as pathway was covered with frost wherever warming rays were blocked by a building or a fence or trees. Closer we came to Stanley Park itself there were fewer and fewer icy patches so we sailed along, reveling in the sunshine, drinking in the mountains and the freighters in English Bay.

Towards the end of the ride I invited lads home to have a java and some of Clara's fantabulous home-made oatmeal shortbread. Unfortunately, Raymundo had to decline as he had a number of tutoring sessions. For his part, Whirlissimo was running behind in his packing for his Christmas ski holiday. He was leaving quite early the next day and since he was to be gone for more than two weeks he had innumerable things to do before setting off. Just to make sure that they were making for their respective residences we accompanied them to just beyond Kits Pool, waved goodbye, and returned to the Heartbreak Hotel.

Marcus made directly for our patio while I hitched my steed in the garage. (But a paltry 37.33K on the odometer, Dear Reader, but the lack of distance was more than offset by the jocular banter and the stupendous sunlight drenched scenery!) By the time I was inside he had already introduced himself to Kathleen and Stefano and was amiably chatting away. Chloë was home on her lunch break and informed me that I was to collect her mother at 2:45pm. It was just after 2:00pm at this point so I put on a fresh pot of java and served up the wonder shortbread. Didn't take long for the assembled company to gang up on me, engaging in a completely uncalled for "Patrick Bashing " session, so vitriolic and hurtful, in fact, that I had to remove myself from the withering verbal abuse by making a quick exit to pick up Coriandre at Mount St Joseph's! Pleased to report that surgery went extremely well, (slightly more than two hours under the scalpel!), and the Canadian Patient has been relatively pain-free ever since coming home.

It is more comfortable for her to sleep on couch in living room, her right leg raised on some enormous pillows, a comforter keeping her cosy, along with Maggie, purring like a 50hpr outboard, atop her tummy. I am rather chagrined to have to acknowledge that so far she has been a model patient, both undemanding and courteous to her caregivers. Whether this will last after her pain medication prescription is exhausted remains to be seen!

She spent a very good night and even fed Maggie this morning. Her only complaint, post-surgery, is that her affected toes are extremely itchy although she is quite proud of the pins sticking out of the ones operated upon, capped with tiny, yellow plastic Smiley Faces! Her own private construction site! She takes every opportunity to show them off to friends and family, even complete strangers passing on the sidewalk outside our patio, waving them in with a crutch! I gather she intends to offer viewings, on the half hour, at the Open House, this coming Sunday! I have taken the liberty of asking the OPP to bring along his camera and take some macro shots of The Pins of The Sisterhood.

More errands, of one sort and another, to do with tomorrow's Open House, for most of rest of the day. I'm hoping to squeeze in either a short ride or swim, depending on weather/time. Cora Lee plans to finish trimming the tree. Only Die Direktoren is capable of performing this exacting task! See you soon. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Burnaby Chainsaw Massacre!

Great video for The Sisterhood! The hippo was a female, right?

Frenetic round of activity seems to continue. I feel like a gerbil chained to your giant mesh wheel! 




Pat,

    Pleased to hear that Corinne appears to be doing well.
    Sent some of the photos off to Jenny and Jim and Christine. Ray

Hi Raymond!

Yes, she really seems to be coping well. As I scribe, she's been chatting on the phone, working on the laptop sitting at the table, foot propped up on a chair. I'm thinking of asking her to make me brunch!

Pics were wonderful. I've sent some of them to friends in Sweden and Denmark, Japan and Oz so we are now international celebrities. I assume the endorsements and orders for the Csycho Socks will start to flood in! Cheers, Patrizio!



Hi Elaine!

Tuesday the 13th is fine with us BUT we curl that evening. However, it is the late draw so we, (Flamin'/Sarge and I), would need to leave by 8:20pm or so. That being the case would it be an imposition to arrive shortly after 5:00-5:30pm? Being even pushier, are Kathleen and Steve, friends from Melbourne, invited as well. Not a big deal so please don't feel obliged but thought you might like to meet them. Anyway, let me know what you think about time, etc. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizio!
 


Hi Patrick


Hopefully Ted will be home early, but otherwise 5 pm is no problem.

All are invited included Dusty & Clara & Cloe. Just let me know how many. Elaine



Hi Sarge!

Whole point is for you and Flamin' to meet Laura and James. His parents live on Mornington Penisula, below Melboure. Wine country and a wonderful place to stay! Doesn't need to be a long evening anyway as Kathleen and Steve probably have other friends/family to visit and Elaine/Ted are getting ready to leave for Winnipeg. Cheers, Patrizio!



Hi Elaine!

Sorry that it has taken me a bit to reply but with one thing and another don't seem to have had a moment! Finally heard back from all the invitees and Sarge informed me that he will not be able to attend as he has meetings before we curl. Neither will Chloë as she already had plans. Naturally she was dismayed at the conflict but insisted on placing a take-away order for a large "Doggy Bag"! This being the case there will be seven of us: Kathleen/Steve; Clara/Dusty; Flamin' and Cora Lee and I. Not quite sure yet how we will arrive but think Flamin' will take Corinne's car with one other person and I'll bring rest in my car. Flamin' and I will need a car to get to curling and either Steve or Kathleen can take gang home in my car.
Hope to see you soon, if not on Sunday then on Tuesday. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Madroña Manor!

Thanks very much for the birthday wishes! Great shot of Cimcky!! Sorry that it has taken me a bit to reply but this past week has been rather a whirlwind of activity, to say the least!




Happy holidays to all my wine addicts! xoxo

Patrick James Dunn To each, her/his own poison. One of your wind addict friends!


Hello Tinsel Town!

I think your comments are hitting a little, too too close to home, Ayn. Late this afternoon Chloë asked Nana if she was feeling any pain in her foot and had she taken any painkillers? Cora Lee replied, without batting an eyelash, " No, I haven't taken any drugs since this morning and I don't want any more as I really want to drink tonight!" Enough said!!!

Live, from the Detox Centre at The Island Inn! Cheers, Patrizio!

that is true!!!!! xx chloe


Writing Christmas cards, and drinking wine, spelling mistakes are a possibility!


Hi Patrick, what time are your guests coming on Sunday? Milton

Hi Generalissimo!

Terrific to hear from you after so long! Trust you are well. Any time after 5:30pm. See you tomorrow. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


No comments:

Post a Comment