Thursday 29 December 2011

IIDD, Dec 29th

A poet should be of the / old-fashioned meaningless brand: / obscure, esoteric, symbolic, -- / the critics demand it; / so if there's a poem of mine / that you do understand / I'll gladly explain what it means / till you don't understand it. -Piet Hein, poet and scientist (1905-1996) 

Hi Pat:
 I love you rambling email, I feel like I have had a visit with you and all the gang. 

We sat around our cottage tonight with a roaring fire watching the World Jrs and then a neighbour/slash colleague of Ron's (Palliative care Doctor) dropped by for a glass of wine.  We are planning to cross country ski New Year's Eve day in Ingonish, not sure if you visited this part of the Cabot Trail. We have a few friends who have places there and they are organizing a day of skiing or snow shoeing.  New Year's Eve will find us at a country hall in Englishtown where Leon and Beth (Ron's sister) are playing music for the New Year's Eve dance. (You met Leon and Beth when you visited.) This is a very fun evening with lots of dancing, drinking and eating. 

Tomorrow we give blood, our gift to society, and then we will listen to some up and coming young musicians at a local restaurant in Sydney.  There are many venues where musicians both young and old play music.  On Dec 23rd we went to the Victorian Inn in Antigonish and listened to a jazz band play christmas carols.  It was a BYOB, but the host provided cheese etc and charged $20 giving it all to the band (one of the band members was her son)  The house parties are becoming more and more popular here and it is a great opportunity for the young musicians to play and earn some cash.

Maggie's boyfriend Tom Terrell made a blue grass Christmas cd.  We were going to try to get a venue for him but he was too busy to organize the venue with me in Sydney. 

It is pouring rain here tonight, but unlike your weather in Vancouver, the weather will turn and the snow will fall in the very near future. 

Did I mention in the last email we are off to St Martins Jan 14th until the 8th of April. I am really looking forward to the trip. 
I will keep you posted. 
Take care- Happy New Year.
Love Rhoda 

Hi Ski!

Your life of music and concerts and cross-country skiing and world travel sounds almost like a page or a screen out of The Lives of the Rich and Famous! I'm going to have to start calling you the Cape Breton Millionaires!!!

Just returned from taking Her Majesty downtown to VPL where she is training  a volunteer for Friends of VPL. After I deposited Her Ladyship curbside, I made for Young Brothers on Broadway to buy some ingredients I need for making a large plate of Mixed Antipasto I plan to serve at our Open House on New Year's Day. Stopped by Minerva's, close by, in next block, to pick up a large tub of peperoncini, (pickled Tuscan peppers0, also one of ingredients. Hurried home to stand by the phone, waiting for Cora Lee Regina to call, summoning me back to fetch her home. Very tough life when one lives with royalty!!!

Tonight, we are mirroring your extravagant lifestyle. Friends of friends are sending a limo to pick us, (Flamin'/Sarge, Lori/Daniello/Cora Lee and I), up and take us to their home in North Van! Ergun, (he is Turkish), and Brenda were at an Open House hosted by Lori and Daniello last Thursday, at their place, not far from us off Sitka Square, and that is where all this came together. Should be fun as the last time I was in a limo was in November of 1991 when we took one to YVR when we were leaving for our first trip trip to Australia with Chloë  and Clara/Dusty. Needed a limo will all the bags! 

Phone rang a few minutes ago and it was Kathleen/Steve, friends from Melbourne, who called to say that they would be celebrating New Year's Eve with us. Pleased as will probably be one of last times here before we see them In Melbourne in March. Steve rented a mandolin before he went to visit Millioniares in Parkesville for a few days before Christmas. Grogg and Lurch will be coming to town on Saturday to  stay at the Granville Island Hotel so they will be part of crowd here on New Year's Eve. They leave on the 1st for an extended South Pacific cruise. Anyway Grogg will bring one of his guitars and we'll have our own band. We spit on the country hall in Englishtown! However, do say hello to Beth and Leon and wish them all the best for 2012!)

Plan to have Stefano and Grogg sing The Freeloader Blues, (lyrics by Patrizzio!), when we go down for a drink at Sutherland's, at some point in the evening, so should be fun.

Well, time to vacuum until such time as the Royal Personage commands my presence! All the best to you and Ron, Ski, and your brood, Diano, Maggie and Sam and extended families. Healthy New Year from the Management and Staff at The Island Inn!!! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!
 




Freeloader Blues

Woke up this morning, Moma, got a bad case of Freeloader Blues,
Woke up this morning, got a bad, bad case of them Freeloader Blues!

I used to have whiskey,
And I used to have wine,
Now I got nothin’
Them mean Freeloaders drank all of mine!
Them thirsty, thirsty Freeloaders drank all of mine!

I used to have grub in the fridge,
Meat on the table, coffee in the pot,
Now I got nothin’
Them mean Freeloaders ate all I got!
Them ravenous Freeloaders ate all I got!

I used to have money, cash in the bank,
A roll in my pocket, a stud in my ear,
Now I got nothing, can’t buy a beer!
Here come the landlord, can’t pay the rent.
Them greedy ole’ Freeloaders spent my last cent!
Them greedy ole’ Freeloaders wasted my last cent!

Now I’m down on my luck, down on the row,
No-one to hep me, no-one to care,
Fleas in my jacket, lice in my hair,
Begging for nickels, begging for dimes,
Wonderin’ where went all them good times!
Morale of the story, Mama, if you care to hear,
Morale of the story, Good Folks, is this I fear,
When you see them Freeloaders, don’t let ‘em git near!
When you see them nasty Freeloaders a comin’, don’t let ‘em git near!

Yeah, Woke up this morning, with a bad case of Freeloader Blues,
Woke up this morning, with a bad, bad case of them crazy Freeloader Blues!

Hi Old Oakites!

Great that you are coming for New Year's! Your room is in the process of being readied!!! As I write, Maggie is tugging the sheets off the bed!

After we chatted, Her Majesty called and I picked her up. She was very pleased as young woman she was training is really bright and between them they were able to complete most of the tasks that needed attention.

Once home, I settled Her Highness in her chair, tilted the TV screen in her direction so that she could watch The Young and the Restless, suited up in my cycling togs and then headed out for a quick ride around Stanley Park. Thought that I had waited, (or rather been forced to wait!), too long as there were a few drops as I left Harbour Terrace. Bit of a stiff wind until I rounded Science World and then it was wonderfully smooth sailing. Quite a few people on the Seawall, loads of walkers and perhaps more bikers, on rentals, than I think I've ever seen. Had to use my bell quite regularly, in fact. Fortunately, I'm in practice having been responding to Her Ladyship's constant demands with her dinner bell!!!

Around False Creek the colourful Aquabuses were scudding along, much like Little Toot, and a real treat, around Lighthouse Point, when a massive Hyundai container vessel made its way past, blocking out the mountains, filling the entire space between the Lilliputians on the Seawall and the North Shore, seemingly close enough to touch. Quite a sensation watching the gargantuan ship slide by, in slow motion.

Very, very low tide and the waterway under the small vehicle bridge which connects Deadman Island to Stanley Park was impassable, nothing but jagged rocks, for any of the boats moored in the lagoon there. This Island operates as the HMCS Discovery, Vancouver's Naval Reserve Base, for those of you non-salts out there! As a result of the all the exposed rocks, the crows were having nothing but a field, Or more correctly, a water day with mussels. Closer to home, not far from Olympic Village, the poplars lining the bikeway, just opposite an enormous, crumbling chipboard bulldozer, (not sure how it came into being, in the first place), were filled with raucously cawing birds. Talk about a murder of crows!!! My tires went crunch, crunch, crunch over parts of the shells that had smashed as a result of being dropped for that very purpose. What clever creatures! Even had to dodge a few bravehearted fools who wouldn't budge from the path, worried about losing supper, rather than their lives, I suppose!!!

Back home with 33.33K on the odometer so not much distance but a lovely outing. Sky was actually starting to clear once I was past Second Beach and the temperature was more than pleasant.

Zapped a cup of java and thought I'd send along this message while I await the finish of another interminable episode Y&R, (As far as I can tell, they are all the same! I've never watched an entire episode but nothing has changed. Can't any of these people make up their minds. They should all be seconded to uni committees!!!), as I am to help Madame Du Barry with her bath. Rather more difficult than it would seem as I am constantly told to avert my eyes, for modesty's sake! Sad to relate, Dear Reader, that during an earlier ablution, turned on the cold tap, (inadvertently, of course!), full force, as a result of not being allowed to gaze upon the Goddess, and Her Highness shrieked like a banshee, definitely "not amused"!

Just received the Royal Summons so I must to the bathing salon haste, forthwith! Bqack again and pleased to report that I only scalded a small, unmentionable part of the Royal Anatomy. Had to be Johnny on the Spot about drizzling some cold Chaaaaaaaaarrrddddonnaaay over affected area and all was well, although Her Ladyship looked rather indecourous swigging the vino right from the bottle! Chat soon. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hello all our friends and family,

Our best wishes from this cold land! Please click on the link to delight your heart and thoughts.


Happy New Year to all of you and your family!

John and MC

SPANISH:

 Hola amigos y familia,

Nuestros mejores deseos desde estas gélidas tierras canadienses. Click en el link  para disfrutar y alegrar tu corazón y pensamientos.



Feliz Año Nuevo para todos ustedes y su familia!



John y Mary Carmen (MC)
Hi Carmen Miranda and Southside Johnny!

Thank you both for the lovely card and best wishes. Same to you, of course. We had a very pleasant New Year's Eve. Relatively quiet, compared to that of Clan Sutherland. Grogg and Lurch were over, staying at the Granville Island Hotel, as they left next day to start their South Pacific holiday/cruise. Grogg brought his guitar and Steve, our friend from Melbourne, rented a mandolin, so we went downstairs before dinner to have a drink. I wrote The Freeloader Blues and lads performed it. Quite a hit!

Surtherlands all went dancing at the Granville Island Hotel after their dinner. We ate upstairs with Clara/Dusty, Steve/Kathleen and Kathleen's sister Lorraine, G/L, and another friend of ours, Branko. G/L left at 11:00am, C/D a bit earlier, and Steve lay down just before midnight, so it was only the five of us to ring in 2012!

Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment