Wednesday 21 December 2011

IIDD, Dec 21st, Saturnalia

A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others. -William Faulkner, novelist (1897-1962) 



garland-2.jpg
Dear University of Winnipeg Alumnus:

I would like to wish all members of the University community, as well as our friends and supporters, a good and rewarding holiday. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for the effort and commitments you make each day to furthering the academic mission of our institution.
2011 has been an eventful year for us. The role of the University continues to evolve as we work to broaden and deepen our service to our students and our community. We can take pride in our accomplishments while reflecting on the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.
The world is struggling with a host of uncertainties which will test all of us. But our long history as an anchor of education in this community should give us confidence in our capacity to continue being a leader in teaching, research, ideas and innovation. I look forward to a fulfilling New Year.

Once again, on behalf of the senior management team, have a safe and happy holiday.

Dr. Lloyd Axworthy
President and Vice-Chancellor
The University of Winnipeg

View a short slideshow at: http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/holiday-message-2011


Hi Big Al, (and Ray)!

I'm keen on a ride tomorrow and I'd like to combine it with a swim so around Stanley Park is what I'd like to do. Not sure if this suits you both you so let me know and we'll plan accordingly. If you would like to do more distance, obviously, do just that. My shoulder seems to be responding quite well so I want to keep swimming. Who knows, a full recovery!

Not a big deal but with respect to the digital version of the cycle world magazine cover you mentioned you'd attached in your earlier message, I guess your mind was on the Shape-O-Meter, (Watching re-runs, I surmise!), as no pics were included.

At any rate, let me know when and where, if at all. Cheers, Patrizio!


See you at high noon at Heartbreak ridge for a celebratory Saturnalia cycle. 

[On my bicycle] I am a traveler of both time and space, 
                                             Led Zeppelin  - Kashmir


In the interests of temporal, and more importantly, numerological clarity, I want to point out that high noon in Vancouver on Dec 21, 2011 will occur at 12:11 p.m. +/- 30 seconds.

For your further edification, I note that the Winter Solstice occurs in Vancouver at 9:30 p.m. today (Dec 21). (That's 05:30 Dec 22, 201, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). Also noteworthy: Dec 21 this year is the shortest day of the year in Vancouver (in terms of amount of sunlight received); Dec 22 is calculated to provide 1 extra second of sunlight.

But don't take my word for it! Check it all out at:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=256
    
 
8^) cheers Mark

Ok Technophobes/stantion seekers and time/space travellers, I will see you then! Cheers!

Pat/Al, Lunch time suits me. Meet at Heartbreak Hotel? Ray

Hi, I can meet you at the heartbreak around that time. Ray, are you communicable... Via cel phone? If so can you give me your number? Thanks, Al


Hi Lads!

See you at The Heartbreak Terrace at High Noon. Since Robo Ray and I spit on mobiles you can call me at The Island Inn up until 11:59am when I will be heading out to the Parkade. If we don't connect by then we will circle at Stanchion Centrale, Plaza of Nations, for 5 minutes and then we are off in search of Lycra Ladies! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Al,
Sorry, I'm a throwback like Pat, without cell. Call my home number. Quite frosty at the moment.
Ray
 

Hi Ray,

No problems mate! Just feel secure that one of us has kept up to date and will be poised to make a call to 911 should someone wipe out on the ice, hit a stanchion or wish to order a pizza or latte en route! Cheers!
 

Oh yes, and it is very frosty! I may have to venture out a little later depending on the thaw. In which case I will drive part way and then ride to keep the appointed time. :') Al 

Hi Patrice,

Hey can you do me a favour and ask Corrinne if she could reccommend a few books that Colleen would like ? Thanks, Al
 

                             The sun sets behind Stonehenge in southern England.




Lunar Eclipse on the Winter Solstice
  
                                              
Tonight is the night that the axis, as seen from the north, points as directly away from the sun as it will all year.

Gentlemen!

Thanks so much for all you help and patience during the three pump stops! Much appreciated. However, I should let you know that my feet didn't actually touch the ground as I  had my fingers crossed each time. Hence my inability to pump up my own tire! (Actually, I think Cora Lee's imperious behaviour, doubled since her operation, has had a deleterious effect on me and now I rather like having other people do things for me as well!)

I made it over the Burrard Bridge, Burrard and Cornwall, before the fourth deflation struck, and had to walk from there to Reckless. Decided that I'd forgo my swim and attend to errands to avoid, as much as possible, last few days of pre-Christmas-frenzy. (Don't think most people received memo. See attached!) Did a Costco run and all went smoothly. Even had my first taste of eggnog at one of sample stands so all my frustration dissipated, although I was rather annoyed at myself for not bringing along a flask of rum. I could have spent hours sipping and snacking on samples!

Such a glorious day, I trust everyone else extended their respective rides to enjoy the sunshine. Thanks again O Indulgent Ones. Cheers, Il Pneumatico Sgonfio!!!

Christmas Greetings from a Sunny (NOT) Sydney, (Coldest in 51 years)!!! To the Dunn Gang all the best,  Love Tim 

Hi Patrick,

I got a quote for a Japan Rail Pass.

Let us know if you want us to purchase for you.

14-day ordinary Japan Rail Pass costs C$613. Additional C$10 postage charge on top.

Thanks, Charlie
 
Hi Champagne!

Sorry I've not replied sooner. Would like to hold off on pass for a bit until we've chatted, via email, with our Japanese connection. Thanks for following up and obtaining estimate, however. I know we will buy passes but I'm not sure for what time period yet. Cheers, Patrizio!


Hi Patrice,

Hey can you do me a favour and ask Corrinne if she could reccommend a few books that Colleen would like ? Thanks, Al




Pat,

    It was really cold on return against the westerly wind.
    Also had my first egg nog today- inadvertently- thought it was milk and poured it over my cereal.
    6 pm OK tomorrow? I'll keep the curtains open in case Corinne needs help on the steps.
                                                                                                                                        Ray

Thanks for quotes - we heard him regularly on ABC Late Night Live over the last 20-30 years, often the contrarian, always thoughtful. I totally agreed, and do so still, with his fronting up to the irrationality of Islam in particular, but fundamentalism generally, but not on what became its illogical extension - the Iraq war.

I came to Grogg and Francescas yesterday con mandolin, played a few tunes (3 Tom Russell, 1-1/2 Johnny Cash, 2 Van Morrison, a set of Irish jigs [Kilkenny], two polkas [Cork] and 3 reels [close to Inverness), before going to a nearby pub with friends Fred and Judy. Had two pieces of basted cod, fifteen potato chips, made on the premises, two pints each of Fullers Brown Ale, and a pee in the retro-fitted dunny, third door on the left.

Back to Vancouver tomorrrow, I'd like to catch up Friday or Saturday if you're around?

We've been doing uber familia (tho' I've bailed out a couple of times) that looks like the pace for remaining time here.

How's the lovely C? Still calm in rehabilitation, or have you finally driven her to break your toes with the scooter? S.



G'day from Aus
 
Hope its not toooo cold over there for you Wayne, Michelle, Patrick and Cora Lee.
 
Wishing you all the best for Christmas and the New Year.
 
Please find attached a slightly warmer version of Christmas.
 
Lots of warm thoughts Tony and Elly


Hi Elly and Tony!

Thanks for wonderful Aussie carol! A classic indeed! Also, thanks for Christmas wishes.  Happy Christmas to you both, Elly and Tony, and family! Fondestso and Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Since you are in a warm clime, thought you might enjoy the Canadian Christmas, the “Polar Bear Suite”—Polar Bear images and sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxw1FSY7BrE





No comments:

Post a Comment