Friday 2 December 2011

IIDD, Dec 2nd

He who has a why can endure any how. -Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900) 



I am up for a ride around the Stanley’s Yard -- admittedly an anaemic 33.33 ride. I need to reserve some energy for a swim to Lighthouse Park a mere 50.33 leagues. I then have to play a tournament match at 6PM which we intend to win by 3 points in the third game.

If anyone cares to join me I was thinking of departing my digs around 11:33 PST.

Ray has bowed out due to mechanical difficulties. W


Gents,

    When I checked the bike after riding today, I found a bulge that I was feeling during the ride. The spokes were all OK, George. Anyway, I need to fix this and also brakes on both bikes, so I'm out of action tomorrow.
    Enjoy the ride. Ray

Hi George,
 I would love to join you as it looks like it will be a glorious day. Sadly I won't be able to as I have some other commitments but thanks for letting me know. Happy trails, Al


Hi Whirlissimo!

I like your adoption of the astrologically, numerologically and biblically significant suffix .33! It fits well, you will find, in due course, with the secret handshake and the minor keys on the Canada Goose caller, the modern equivalent of the medieval hornenflugelspiel which the Knights Templar used to drive their enemies crazy during the Siege of Dubrovnik, a battle in which Branymir's illustrious forebearer, Vladymir the Tippler of Pelinkovac, took part, stealing the nautical charts from the Montenegrian Royal Navy and thus preventing the re-provisioning, (with No Knead Hard Tack, among other essential foodstuffs), of the Herzegovinian siege troops, forcing  them to withdraw!

I will be waiting at the BraveHeart Terrace at the divinely annointed time of 11.33am, odometer already calibrated!

Onward, Il Conduttore!

PS: I tried to raise Branymir but no response, as of this sribing. I gather he may be using a gerry-rigged snorkelflugelheit extractor, (version 0.33), to aid his in situ barnacle removal scheme, working with the salvage company Katzenjammer Dämmerung Inc.


Hi Patrick,

Lynne and I just back Tuesday from our 5 day trip to Phoenix.  The main event of the trip was a Canucks-Coyotes game that was a lot of fun and a decisive Canucks 5-0 win.  We were staying with our friends Tom and Jan White – Tom is a long time mining colleague.  They live in Salt Lake City but their daughter owns a rental house in Phoenix area that we stayed in.  A typical sprawling Arizona desert home, 4 bedrooms, 5 baths, very comfortable, in a somewhat distressed outer subdivision.  Lots of real estate bargains to be had.
Any interest in the attached and below described whisky offer?  We might think about sharing a 1/20th cask, at a cost of $125 each now and $75 in five years when the whisky is bottled.  We would get about 5 bottles of cask strength equivalent each, or more if bottled at 43%.  Only risks are: Will we be alive or well enough to drink whisky by then? Will you still love me?   
·   
No pressure, just wondered if you might think it’s a good idea.  Let me know. Cheers, Peter

December 1, 2011

Dear Members

You will recall that our Executive has been in contact with the new Shelter Point single malt whisky distillery in Comox, BC. This is the world’s newest single malt distillery using traditional Scottish copper pot stills and methods developed by renowned Master Distiller, Mike Nicolson (experience spanning no less than 17 Scottish distilleries).

The distillery started conducting successful tours in November and based upon a tasting of their ‘new-make’ whisky, serious whisky lovers from other BC based tasting groups have decided to purchase a part share in casks from the distillery. Several casks have already been fully subscribed on a first come, first served basis and their offer has now been extended to members of our SOWTS .If you are interested in the Cask Offering please read on before contacting myself with your commitment.

The past practice of the VSMC and Companions of the Quaich clubs, when their members are interested in sharing the cost of a cask offering, is for one person on a non-profit basis, to coordinate the offering and be the liaison person between the cask owners and the distillery. I am willing to build a record of our SOWTS membership ownership piece and full contact details, share it with the distillery, and maintain / update it until the cask is bottled and distributed in approximately five years time.

Appended is the cask offering details. Individual investors in the SOWTS group must commit to take 1 / 20th of a cask. Twenty full shares would be needed to fully subscribe to a cask. Thus, for a cost of $5,000 plus approximately $2,500 for tax when bottled, the minimum commitment for a 1/20th share is $250 now and another approximately $125 when bottled. At cask strength this is estimated to yield approximately 180-200 bottles of 10 year old (based on their calculation of 300 bottles at 40% after 5 years and an estimated cask strength of 56-58% after 10 years). Our group can decide how much of our cask is to be bottled at cask strength and how much at normal 43% strength. The distillery will bottle at both cask strength and 46% if we ask for the barrel to be split that way. The cask treatment will be first fill bourbon cask with finishing in first fill sherry.

Other groups have priority in ordering, so it would be best to place our order for one cask on a first come, first served basis in terms of people who respond to this e-mail and commit to a specified $ value toward the initial $5,000 purchase cost before December 31, 2011.

If we get enough to fill one barrel then I will confirm ownership with Shelter point for the South Okanagan Cask Ownership Group # 1, and proceed to collect cheques. If we get enough for 1 barrel but not enough for 2 barrels then those people who signed up first will be part of barrel #1 and those who fall in between 1 and 2 barrels will unfortunately not be included, unless of course we are close to a 2nd barrel and I can rustle up a few more owners or get them to increase their share slightly to fill the 2nd barrel. Obviously, if we fall between 2 and 3 barrels then the same process will apply.

To reiterate, this is being facilitated by me on a volunteer, non-profit basis. I have no affiliation with the distillery other than being passionately interested in single malt whisky.

Yours sincerely, Kevin Ritcey, President

Hi Jugos Dom Pedro!

I take it you are now branching out from selling orange juice and grape juice! I'm keen to participate. Not a big deal BUT label would have to have "Bottled Privately for The Island Inn" prominently displayed! Furthermore, I'd prefer cask strength but again, I don't want to stand in the way of other opinions. I gather that you'd like me to deduct fees from your account here at the Island Inn. I will send you an itemized invoice by return post. Please have your Vancouver agent contact me should there be any dispute over outstanding charges!

Fondestos to you and Lynne from Clarisse, Dusty and Cora Lee. Let me know about transfer of funds. I gather decisions/comittments must be made sharpish. Good work, my dear fellow! Cheers, Patrizio!

Hi Patrick,
 
Glad to hear you'd like to share in the whisky investment. No worry about funds for now, we can settle up later after our order is confirmed.
 
Don't overdo the swimming with your injured shoulder. You'll need to keep that arm intact for hoisting the Island Inn keg strength. Cheers, Peter

Patrick,
We're in!  I'll send Kevin a cheque for $250.  Please adjust my Island Inn account accordingly, or if you wish you can send me a cheque for $125. We now have added incentive to stay healthy! Ciao, JDP
To All Our Elders' Families and Friends.

Today Vancouver Coastal Health has listed Broadway Pentecostal Lodge on the outbreak bulletin as we have confirmed cases of Influenza so we have to take precautions to reduce the spreading of the virus to other residents and to the community at large.

I shall not entertain with the details of what staff has to do but rather point to how families and friends can contribute to the efforts.

Although phone handsets are known as transfer points for germs, phone lines do not spread virus. We would like to minimize traffic in and out of the lodge and if you can replace a visit with a phone call, that would be great.

If you do come here during the outbreak a flu shot received more than two weeks ago should keep you safe. If you did not get that you can talk to your General Physician about alternative precautions.

If you have 'upper respiratory symptoms' you must consider if your visit could wait until you are well again.

The receptionist will have the basic message so you are able to make an informed decision about your visit and the nursing staff on the floor will also be able to guide you.

Reduce the contact with our residents - the caring hand on a shoulder et cetera - and please make sure you wash your hands/use hand sanitizer, before, after, and during your visit.

But luckily there is more to December than influenza. I have attached the activities calendar for the month, so you can plan to be here at the right times if there are things you want to join. Do also remember the special festive lunch on December 25 at 12:30 pm. The nice information sheet is attached so you can order one or some of the 25 tickets before the deadline December 19.

The Family Council does not meet in December, but I have messages from several family members that they are looking forward to more activity on that front in the new year - the meeting will be January 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM.

All the best Paul Henrik

Paul Henrik Borup-Jørgensen, Social Care Worker, Broadway Pentecostal Lodge




KITSILANO WINE CELLAR PRESENTS:

Icon Portfolio Tasting
At the tasting bar, Friday Dec 2nd, 5-7pm

The Wines:

Montressor Nero del Nago $16.99

Flor de Crasto $17.99

Quinta do Crasto Reserva 2007 $47.99
The Quina do Crasto Reserva is made from vines over 70 years old with up to 30 grape varieties, aged in French and American oak barrels; it is a complex powerful wine with great intensity and a richly textured palate.


 Stradivario Barbera D'asti 1999 $49.99
Stradivario is a Barbera d'Asti Superiore made from grapes harvested at Cocconato, on the calcareous hills of the high Asti region. The grapes are harvested very ripe, and the yield from vineyard is kept low. Wine making is characterized by moderate contact with air and delicate maceration, immediately followed by fining in new barriques.

Hi everyone,
We'll be having a pizza party next week after we finish curling! Each team will also receive a pitcher of beer. We will order some vegetarian pizzas as well. See you next week! Steve, Randall, & Wayne.
Chloe Alexis Dunn
Chloe Alexis Dunn shared a link.
Beagles See Sun and Grass for the First Time After a Life in a Laboratory - Get a Tissue Ready ♥
www.godvine.com
This is probably the most touching video you'll see in a long time. Nine beagles that spent their entire lives in a lab were rescued, and this is the video of them experiencing it for the first time. A must see.

The Chimps of Fauna Sanctuary is another amazing story as well!

www.andrewwestoll.com

So little and yet so much has happened.. That I've been putting off any correspondence...

Hello Island Inn


Today being the day we traditionally decorate we got all the boxes out of the basement and got started. I had to keep in mind when I balked at opening yet another box that in Just two weeks Dana and Dan will be coming to stay here and this is the year I hold the New Year's party.
Dana has finished as many courses that she wants to take in Calgary and Dan has a final month at Chef school here in January at TRU. After that they both will be looking for jobs, a place to buy, and making decisions about the next phase n their lives. This New Years I plan an Italian Auld Lang Syne theme and have had calendars made for gifts for the guests with about 40 pictures of old times... They go back up to 30 years back when we all could last well past midnight. Then we played drinking games. Now we'll settle for Rummoli . I have the gingham, the candle and the wine bottle but I still need the chianti. I have the itunes music ready and have included my most favorite melody of all time, the Love Theme from The Godfather.
Since dana will be around, we decided that we want to spend a week in New York in April so I got that all arranged along with tickets to see Wicked. I imagine you're all organized for your trip
I sent for my records from the time I was 19 in the hospital having Ian. Di I tell you about all that horror story? The events following that disclosure took up a lot of time and emotional energy.
So glad that you're back to swimming. That's a marvelous photo with the mountains behind you !
Anyway.. Sorry about not getting back sooner. I kept your last email prominent on my "to answer" list and haven't even opened that file in several months.
Happy December Hugs Brenda


Hi Brenda Louise!

How is the Christmas decorating going? Cora Lee has done a bit but probably won't really start before this coming week. She and Robyn left this morning for Seattle for a Goils Only Weekend, Third Annual. They are meeting Flamin' there, at the hotel they will be staying at. She went down with Sarge yesterday as they had tickets for a Seahawks game. Believe that they will go to Cinderella, The Musical, tonight, before they exhaust themselves shopping!

Great that Dana and Dan will be home for the hols. And more? If so, perhaps Dan can cook for his supper, so to speak! Your Italian New Years Eve sounds delightful, the picture calendar a wonderful idea indeed. Please don't mention New York to Cora Lee when we crash your party as she will turn 59 pages of Wikipedia green! Depending on how much she has to drink she could even get nasty and might even stoop to filching your flight tickets and those for Wicked as well! Of course, Wally and I could simply stay home, sip malt and care for Picasso!!!

Hard to believe that it is the beginning of December, based on today's weather. Went for another spin around Stanley Park with Whirlygig and Marcus Aurelius. I kid you not, it was far warmer and and much more pleasant that many of the same rides we took around the Seawall in May and June. I don't know what I've had done if I'd not brought my dark glasses along so blinding was the sun at times!

After circumcycling the park, lads wanted to stop for a java so I suggested a spot on Granville Island and we rode there. I dropped them off at the Agro Cafe Coffee & Roasting House on Railspur Avenue, waved goodbye and then rode back, via the Seawall, to the Aquatic Centre. Did two miles, (1.5 crawl, .5 backstroke), and felt very comfortable. My goal is to do three miles before Christmas and I think that distance is quite reasonable and will not subject my shoulder to undue stress, particularly if I work towards the 3 mile mark in .25 increments, (8 lengths).

Back home with 51.33K on my odometer, (41.33K when I stopped to swim), at close to 6:40pm. Divested myself of most of my cycling/swimming gear and popped up to Kitsilano Wine Cellar for their Icon Portfolio Tasting:

Montressor, 2008 Nero del Nago, $16.99. This is made from 100% Corvina, a varietal I know very little, if anything about so I looked it up on Wikipedia:

Corvina is an Italian wine grape variety that is sometimes also referred to as Corvina Veronese or Cruina or it is mainly known in Europe as"Cassabria". It is mainly grown in the Veneto region of northeast Italy. Corvina is used with several other grapes to create the light red regional wines Bardolino and Valpolicella that have a mild fruity flavor with hints of almond. These blends include Rondinella, Molinara (and Rossignola for the latter wine). It is also used for the production of Amarone and Recioto.

This expression was a little to tart, too acidic for my palette's liking although the notes of cherry and  cinnamon were mildly pleasing.

2008 Flor de Crasto, $17.99, was a more complex wine, showing some luscious black fruit and blueberry, with a pleasing balance between tannin and acid.

From the tasting brochure:

Quinta do Crasto Reserva 2007 $47.99:

The Quina do Crasto Reserva is made from vines over 70 years old with up to 30 grape varieties, aged in French and American oak barrels; it is a complex powerful wine with great intensity and a richly textured palate.

Stradivario Barbera D'asti 1999 $49.99:

Stradivario is a Barbera d'Asti Superiore made from grapes harvested at Cocconato, on the calcareous hills of the high Asti region. The grapes are harvested very ripe, and the yield from vineyard is kept low. Wine making is characterized by moderate contact with air and delicate maceration, immediately followed by fining in new barriques.

The Quinto Reserva was a wine much to my liking, if not to that of my pocketbook's! Both intense and full, with complex aromas of spice and vanilla, combined with hints of dark berries and ripe plums. The Strad, on the other hand, was not really something that I could rave about. Although it is an
intense wine as well, I didn't find it nearly as rich and full-bodied as the Reserva. Far more subtle, with a hint of vanilla, and velvety on the palate, but a little too "dusty" for me. Still, I need to learn more about Italian wine and varietals so pleased that I had the opportunity to taste the four.

Back home for a quick nibble and then a few messages before I hoped to settle in with The Origins of Political Order. But 80 pages to go and am quite enjoying Fukuyama's analysis and insights into the origins of democratic societies. Enjoy the weekend opening boxes of decorations! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizio!

Just picked this up, now. I'll see what I can do. They look pretty good. -A.

Hi Flash!

Anything you can do will be much appreciated! Almost like being back in Mexico, (where snap was taken), today, at times, at least! Cheers, Patrizio!



Patrick,
We're in!  I'll send Kevin a cheque for $250.  Please adjust my Island Inn account accordingly, or if you wish you can send me a cheque for $125. We now have added incentive to stay healthy! Ciao, JDP
Hi JDP!

The cheque's in the email OR would you rather I adjust your account!!! Cheers, Patrizio!
Gents,

Sadly, I must pass on the Le Mans of Stanley as yet another issue has surfaced with the Peric Ancestral Home (West 12th, not Dubrovnik) in the form of a broken drain pipe exactly 1.33 meters below the ground in the front yard preventing sewage from being delivered to the city mains.  This immediately after the new central heating system barely in place and still leeching my line of credit.

If I get a chance, I will try to do my Tour de Richmond, a highly unapproved ride as last time I did it (Wednesday) I made 3 stops along Shell Rd for traffic lights, one on the Dyke for a pit stop (needlessly extended to enjoy the view of Mt Baker for a bit), and one in Steveston for an Americano, the last being most pleasant as it was near closing, I was the last customer and had the full attention of a couple of lovely young ladies as they were closing up the coffee bar.

More than likely, I will have to settle for the executive workout @VRC today, at least doing my achilles tendinitis rehab in hopes of getting the Dream Team back together for 2012.

más adelante//bjp
Hi Ragin'!

Sorry to hear about latest plumbing problems but quite enjoyed your highly detailed account of stoppages, Americanos, lattes, romantic vistas and lycra-clad loverlies!!!

I'm up for another ride domani so give me shout if you are keen to ride without stoppages of any kind! Cheers, Patrizio!

PS:  Would appreciate some advice/help on how to get wireless printing to work from laptops as well as hook-up for laptops to TV, when you are finished plumbing, of course!

 
 




 






No comments:

Post a Comment