Saturday 3 December 2011

IIDD, Dec 3rd









The other side of Marilyn, her last completed film, a tender, sad love letter written by husband Arthur Miller but not produced until after their marriage was on rocks. It’s a elegiac modern day Western that inadvertently became an elegy for a generation of old Hollywood stars: it was also to be Clark Gable’s swansong and one of the last performances by Montgomery Clift.

Monroe is Roslyn, a gentle, loving but slightly lost soul who has come to Reno for a divorce. Local cowboys Guido (Eli Wallach), Gay (Gable) and Perce (Clift) are all over her – and for a while she finds some happiness with Gay. But when they take her along on an expedition to corral some wild mustangs things fall apart…


Nadienka Wyss
Nadienka Wyss updated her status: "When I'm nervous I have this thing, I talk too much!"

Patrick James Dunn I gather you are nervous most of the time! Love, Your Cruel Host Father!
Pat,

Thanks for the glorious ride lasterday. Mark & I enjoyed our Branko lattes
without much Agro.

I play at 11AM this morning with the hideous shadow of the Hungie behind me
-- VLT. Lost to the insufferable Covernton who was sandbagging Potter...

I wont ride today and don't know my plans for tomorrow. Would like to ride
but will have to find out what is in the job jar. Will let you know. W

Peleton sinks to new low!

Pat,
    I'm surprised you are in support of this latte drinking during rides. Sets a very bad tone! What next - a bike pub crawl?   
    Both bikes in the shop at the moment - new chain, cassette, tire, and brakes required. Very busy today and the only ride  I'll manage is to Cornish and back on my old mountain bike.
    Enjoy the good weather. Ray
Hi "Reckless" Ray and Whinging Whirlissimo, The Grumpy Gambler!

Given what Robo Ray observed about the Decline and Fall of the Peleton, it's fortunate that I have my snorkel to enable me to continue cycling, alone, below the waterline, or should I say, more correctly, below the caffeine line! Jim, I know, would be rather happy with a bike pub crawl, although I fear Christine is turning him into a Sensitive New Age Male. Come to think of it, perhaps I could use my snorkel as a straw to sip malt. A silver lining in even the bitterest of coffee grounds!

With respect to the business of actually riding, I can only dread, should he ever find time to rejoin the SP Tour, how difficult it will be to keep pace with a re-energized, Leader of the Pack, astride his completely overhauled, improved Über Bicycles. I have already put a Monark ECO Pedal Assist Electric Bike on my Christmas List, as well as a lasso! (Note tricycle construction for added stability on icy roads, as well as rear malt carrier!)

Buona Fortuna at The Lawn, Griping Giorgio, but I fear the worst with The Ghost of 'Orrible officiating! However, you seem to be in such distemper regarding your loss to The Pepperoni Kid and Rotund Ray that your sniveling should hold you in good stead on the court where such squash gamesmanship was invented and perfected!

I leave you both to your separate activities and pastimes, wishing you well as I strive to hold aloft the Fraternal Flame and Flag of the Velocipede! Dive! Dive! Dive! Auf Wiedersehen, Kapitän Patrizio, U-Boat 33, Brodie Class!
Hi  Patrik how you like this one   Joe and rose
Hi Rose and Joe!

Don't think you have it quite right, Joe. We are happier simply because we have wives like Rose and Cora Lee!!!
Ayn P
Ayn P updated her status: "this man is looking at me like I'm crazy...obviously he doesn't know that everyone vacuums their deck on Saturday mornings...ha! he's the crazy one! ....right?"
  • Chloe Alexis Dunn you are so Dad its scary!!!!

  • Ayn P Well I was lulled to sleep by the central vacuum system many a night as a child...

  • Chloe Alexis Dunn or the early am

  • Patrick James Dunn Thanks for all the hostility, Chloe!

    Ayn P ‎*billowing clouds of dust*Patrick James Dunn A family that fights together stays together!

    Hi Ray/Patrick

    Belatedly a summary of the first week of our holiday avoiding a bit of British winter.

    We moved down to Golf del Sur yesterday from Los Gigantes- (photos hopefully attached with notes).


    Unfortunately neither of us is 100%- Chris had a bug and now I have a cold which has stopped my swimming for two days. Quite ironic really.

    It is also quite windy down here today which I hope doesn't last too long.

    We watched Wales vs Australia which seemed a bit inconsequential after the world cup.

    We are now better equipped with TVs and wifi connection(at a price). I have also borrowed an Ian Rankin novel to fill the time in while I recover.

    Trust that you are both putting the mileage in especially with so much good eating.

    Despite not feeling too good we had our best meal of the holiday at the on site restaurant last night finished off with bread and butter pudding and custard- how English.

    Best wishes to you both, Sylvia and Corinne. Jim and Christine

    PS Ray I had a surprise phone call from Ken last week- mainly to tell us not to expect a Christmas card- no not really but to explain how busy he had been with his Mum. I trust 

    Hi Ray/Patrick

    Here are a few snaps of our first few days in Los Gigantes.
    Weather has been outstanding for late November during this week.

    We are a bit hampered for communications since not many places have wifi, haven’t seen an Internet café and we are carting round a laptop- roll on ipad?

    Have really enjoyed the swimming mainly in the sea with the exception of mincing over the pebbles as we get in and out. Very clear,  quite warm in and out  and no breakers to speak of.  I am endeavouring to improve my crawl stroke after reading a triathlon book recently- apparently windmill style is out.

    We drove to the north of the island to visit Masca- in the mountains and a starting point for a valley walk down to the sea which I did last time where you are returned by boat to Los Gigantes. Fighting the way back up the hills against the oncoming traffic was a challenge. We then drove on to Garichico where Simon Bolivar came from and then on to Puerto de la Cruz a prosperous looking city where we swam again with the sound of a flautist coming from the nearby beach café!! Again the twisting roads were hard to take and mean that having done these trips twice in our two visits eight years apart we are unlikely to do them again.
    Tomorrow we drive down to the south of the island which is much flatter for a week- golf country not that we’ll play – maybe a driving range? and may look briefly into the two main tourist spots of Las Americas and Los Christianos.

    We are running out of reading material having finished “Why your world is about to get a whole lot smaller” and “Fooled by Randomness” and after that it is back to “Easy Learning Spanish Conversation” a misnomer if ever there was one. I take it that these earnest works will satisfy you both that I am wasting no swotting time. Television has been a disaster here so we have been catching up on DVDs- Out of Africa Last King of Scotland and Michael Portillos Railway journeys. Chris has finished the Crimson Room but has taken a leaf out of my book and jettisoned “ The Help”.

    Cycling round here looks pretty tough but we did pass a few on the hair-pin bends and they caught up with us at the next latte stop so it is do-able by some people.

    With the clear skies there have been fantastic views of Mount Teide at somewhere around 12-13,000 ft. Having driven to the 7000 ft level last time through mist before emerging into sunshine we aren’t attempting this drive let alone the cable car and walk to the top.

    Sorry that I haven’t really distilled your last missive Patrick as our wifi session was somewhat frustrating with lost connections- sun reflecting on screen lost cursor etc.

    Hope this offline approach works. Best wishes Jim and Christine 

    Hi Chris and Jim!

    Trust you are both feeling better by now! Given your communications problems, I have attached my reply in a document to minimize your Internet fees! Cheers, Patrizio!


     

    Putting out Nana's Nativity scene needle-point always makes it really feel like Christmas!
     
    Hi Patrick:

    I can't remember if I've given you details of our supposed arrival time next Wednesday. 
    United Express / Skywest 6191 from San Francisco, arriving Vancouver 15:23.

    It would be lovely to be chauffeured from YVR but please wait for a confirmation call from us in San Fran or LA before setting out.  Based on Jessie's experience last week on the same flight, we may arrive anytime up to midnight, sans luggage. If our arrangements are similarly fouled up, we will taxi.

    My mobile phone 00161 418 318 920.

    Look forward to seeing you and being there for your social event on 11 Dec. Cheers, Kathleen & Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment